PDA

View Full Version : Styler dryers

misstwist
September 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
I know some of you long-time longhairs have brush attachment hair dryers. Will you tell me a little bit about them please?

What do you like about it? What does your hair look like after you use it? Do it give you good volume? Can you get the kind of long soft curls that drying over a big round brush produces? Do you use the comb attachments or just the brush? Do you use products before drying and what sort? What brand do you have and what are it's features? Have you bought one recently you would recommend?

I looked at Sally today and the only one my store had was the Gold N Hot brand. I've seen Conair and a brand I didn't recognize starting with the letter a on Amazon. There may also have been one from Jilbere. Is there anyplace else online I should look?

These things are not quite as scarce as hen's teeth, but pretty darn close to it. I remember that my mom had one in the 70s that was quite a deluxe affair. It was a flat box where the heat was produced and a hose attachment that took a bonnet or a brush attachment with several different heads. The hose wrapped up around the base and all the attachments clicked into their holders before the lid went onto it.

Carolyn
September 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
I have a Conair one. I got it at Walmart or Target some time ago. I only use a brush attachment. I like it because I seem to be incapable of using a round brush and a separate hair dryer. I use it on my roots to give lift and to shape my upfront wisps. I also like it for the back of my hair where it's the waviest. I can get those annoying waves straightened out. I can also flip my ends up or under. I don't use any styling products. I probably should use a heat protectant.

misstwist
September 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Thank you Carolyn. I thought you used one.

misstwist
September 5th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Anybody else?

virgo75
September 5th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I have a Conair one as well and like Carolyn am completely useless with a round brush. :oops: This is the one I have: http://www.conair.com/infiniti-by-conair-tourmaline-ceramic-styler-dryer-p-609-1_7_67.html

I always use a deep treatment with the wash before and after using a blow dryer. My favorite line when blowdrying my hair straight is Pantene. I'll use the new Medium-Thick line Deep Treatment in the tub and they have a Medium-Thick Smoothing Creme that I apply to my hair when it's been towel dryed then blow dry straight. My super fine, fluffy, fly away hair is actually straight, shiny, frizz free, and "swingy" rather than poofy when I use them. :cheese:

A higher end leave-in that I like when blow drying is Aveda's Brilliant Universal Styling Creme which makes my hair straight and shiny for daaaaaays lol. It works a little better than the Pantene, but costs more and I have to take a special trip to get it so I haven't replaced it after using up my last tube. But it's good stuff.

Good luck with your styler dryer search. :flower:

misstwist
September 5th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks Virgo75. Your hairtype is closer to mine than Carolyn's. I'm glad to hear they work well on curlier hair.

I have a tube of that Aveda universal styling cream that I've had for maybe 10 years. I've never been really impressed with it but I've not thrown it out because Aveda products are expensive. I'll bust it out when I buy a dryer. :D

alwayssmiling
September 5th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I have one its a tresemme. It has a cool, warm and hot function. I only ever use the cool button and it gets my hair fairly straight with body and a bit of a flick (not straight like a straightener, but like a blow out you get at the salon). Definitely look to one with a cool setting. The medium heat isn't too bad either, but the hot setting is really too hot.

DarkSky
September 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I have a Conair one as well and like Carolyn am completely useless with a round brush. :oops: This is the one I have: http://www.conair.com/infiniti-by-conair-tourmaline-ceramic-styler-dryer-p-609-1_7_67.html

I use to use a conair one just like that for years in my curly hair when it was 3b. I would use it on sectioned hair then run the flat iron through it as a finishing touch. At that time that was the only way I could get my hair really straight. Now that I am more of a 2c/3a (lost my curls after pregnancy) I have an easier time using a round brush and dryer and can actually get it pretty straight that way without the flat iron ...it takes lots of coordination though.