PDA

View Full Version : "Squeaky" hair

islandboo
September 2nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
I am not very good at diagnosing my hair, but from what I can tell it is pretty healthy and happy. It stretches a bit and then bounces back when I do a stretch test, and it doesn't seem to be breaking off. However, I noticed something recently and I am wondering if it means anything. I have been collecting my shed hair to use for self-extensions to help bulk out my thin hair and I try to keep the hairs all oriented in the same direction (root at the top). I have been doing this by running the hair between my fingers to feel where the root bulb is. My hair is very fine with tiny bulbs and it is a subtle thing to feel, so I often had to switch direction several times to suss it out. However, over the last week or so I have noticed that my hair strand squeaks when I run my hair against the direction of growth (bottom to top). I no longer need to take a couple tries (or get out my reading glasses) to find the bulb, just listen for the squeak. It sounds like when you run your finger over something that is "squeaky clean". Does that mean anything? Is the cuticle roughed up? Do I need more protein? As I said, my hair seems to be fine and looks pretty good but it is such an odd thing to experience, especially since it seems to be new. (My haircare routine hasn't changed)

ravenreed
September 2nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
My hair squeaks, even with CO. I don't worry about it.

schweedie
September 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah, I can always tell which way is up and which way is down through the squeaking sound! I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that's sound that happens when you DO rough up the cuticle! I don't think it means it was rough before.

MissManda
September 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have squeaky hair, too, especially when I CO.

There have been a few discussions about hair porosity on here lately, but since it seems to be more important over on NaturallyCurly, I lurked over there to see what I could find out. :p Most of what I found was that hair with low porosity tends to squeak like that. Generally hair that has low porosity can't stand huge amounts of protein and likes humectants and moisture.

I don't know how accurate that info is, though, since I haven't done a whole lot of research on porosity yet.

islandboo
September 2nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
So maybe it isn't that my hair has changed, just that I became more observant? Thanks for making me feel better about it!

MissManda, that is interesting. My hair does seem to love moisture.

1nuitblanche
September 2nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Here's another person with squeaky hair even after COing. I wouldn't worry about it. If you feel that your hair is stripped, then put on some oil or a leave-in to protect it.

bluesnowflake
September 2nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
I don't hear a squeak, but I can feel a slight difference running up versus down.

mallorykay13
September 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
I have the same thing. I can't stand it. When people do that to their hair I guess I am hyper-sensitive to it, (that and the sound of hair snapping *shudder*) and all I can think is Stooooop!

gthlvrmx
September 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
I've got that, my fingers usually stop when i rub a hair strand in the opposite direction because it's that rough i guess.
I do CO wash but i think it was always this way.