PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Curlsgirl! Layers and flat irons and cuts OH MY!

Curlsgirl
September 2nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Hello everyone! I have been gone for a while. Basically I fell to the evil salon rituals of blow-drying and straightening. I also got long layers and ended up hating them (as always before will I EVER learn they aren't for me) sooooooooooo anyhoo fast forward and I went a couple of weeks ago and got about 5 inches cut off to a blunt cut again. I cannot believe the difference. It comes to the top of my bra strap barely when stretched and shrinks up a LOT curly of course but it feels SO healthy and the curls are back! It was hard to let go of the length but I am glad I did.

Moral of story: Blow-drying and flat-ironing are okay but they only make your hair look good for so long before your hair turns on you (note to self to remember) LOL! Anyway, I'll try to post a new pic sometime soon.

krissykins
September 3rd, 2011, 01:13 AM
Welcome back! :flowers:

Those flat irons are so tempting. I almost straightened my hair on Thursday, but I stopped myself. It was quite hard.

kidari
September 3rd, 2011, 02:59 AM
I know how you feel! Well at least you experimented, had fun, and learned something. Also, the journey of growing it out and meeting a goal is always exciting. A couple months ago I got bored with my hair and instead of cutting like I always do when it reaches past BSL, I got ombre highlights. I loved it at first and now I know, never again. The ends are so much harder to take care of and since only the ends were bleached and dyed I really see a difference in the quality of hair even though I dyed over it black again. It was exhilarting to be bad and bleach. I had fun, at least I didn't hack it back to APL again for the third time. I know now bleach is super damaging and will never do it again.

julliams
September 3rd, 2011, 04:32 AM
I straightened the other day and got LOADS of compliments - something I rarely get in my natural wurly state. I have at admit that it felt so nice to have straight hair again for 3 days. I took advantage of it and got a bunch of S & D done which is way easier on straight hair.

I'm back to wurly again but, I do miss the pin straight flat-ironed look sometimes. I have to remember that my hair is here to be enjoyed so I do it once in a while.

Altocumulus
September 3rd, 2011, 05:21 AM
Nice to see you back!

The last time I let the stylist blow my hair straight after a trim, I went back to work, and everyone looked at me like this 0.o. My officemate actually did a double take!

cheetahfast
September 3rd, 2011, 05:50 AM
I love my hair straight. I used to do it about 3 times a week. It's easy to keep doing it and not realize the damage until you're a few months into it. I was also using cones then, so I think a lot of the damage was hidden. I had a similar cut moment like you, but my hair was layered with the longest ones a bit past bsl and I chopped it to my chin. Now my hair is much healthier, I don't use heat on my own. I wasn't tempted since in the summer it would have been a frizzy waste of time. Now I'm away from home without any heat tools, which keeps the temptation away. However, I've decided that when I go in for a trim I'll let him make it straight...one or two times a year isn't too bad...

Welcome back to LHC :cheese:

annieangel149
September 3rd, 2011, 06:04 AM
lol.. it's the complete other way round for me :).. i have stick straight hair and always wanted curly hair! I had perms on and off for years and it caused so much damage i had to stop! The hairdresser also had to use really strong perm solutuion so the perm wouldn't fall out! I had fun but paid the price! I try curling my hair with braids, rag curls, sock bun waves now but them waves fall out in half an hour! Im growing my hair so it has to be healthy as possible now so no more perms for me! When i see you lovely curly guys i get jealous still but im learning to love my natural locks :)

redcelticcurls
September 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Hey, stranger, good to see you!

I'm perhaps lucky that my hair doesn't easily straighten with just an iron. I might be tempted to do it more, lol.

I do get a salon blowout a couple of times a year because it's fun to have a different look.

I'm still coloring though, and I'm one of those curlies who needs her layers. Too bad we have to find out by trial an error if they work for us or not.

I'm looking forward to pics of the new length! I hope that you stop for a visit in the curly thread, too.

Curlsgirl
September 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hey thanks for the welcome back!!! RCC, I did stop over there and going to try to keep it up! It motivates me to keep healthy hair! I still highlight too and I won't stop that. LOVE it too much!

Unofficial_Rose
September 7th, 2011, 12:44 PM
*Waves to CurlsGirl* Welcome back!

Curlsgirl
September 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hi there! :waving:

Jenn of Pence
September 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I was just reminiscing about my flatiron yesterday, too. ;) My hair is pretty straight, and I've learned to live without it, but it certainly made my few random waves conform and made everything so smooth and sleek. But yeah, after abusing the straightener for a few months (I had been reasonable for years and years before that), I really lived to regret it. I do, however, wholeheartedly agree with being enjoying my hair and not being so legalistic about "the rules" that you can't weigh the options and decide to have a little fun once in a while. :) And if you learn to not ever do it again, then at least you know now and had the experience.

Curlsgirl
September 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I have to admit it was fun..for a little while. :(

MrsGuther
September 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
hahahaha I laughed so hard when you said it's only a matter of time before your hair turns on you! I totally understand about that. My hair turned on me after I abused it with the flat iron for a couple of years. Luckily my hair and I are friends again since I don't torture it anymore on a regular basis. :)

Carolyn
September 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Good to see you again :waving: I agree with those who say have fun once in a while.

jojo
September 7th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Welcome back! if we can't enjoy our hair once in a while, its not worth having. Its not the phases of experimenting what matters, its how you treat it after. I love your hair either way!

spidermom
September 7th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hi CG; it's good to see you, whatever your hair length.

Fairlight63
September 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Welcome back, missed you! :D

Curlsgirl
September 8th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Awwwwwwwwww thanks everyone!!! :flower:

MsBubbles
September 8th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Hey Curlsgirl! Great to hear from you!