PDA

View Full Version : CO hair freak out

ghilliegirl_an
September 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM
I've been COing for probably about a month now, clarifying approximately once a week or so. I started out with the Tresemme conditioner I already had(I know cones are not good for CO) just to try it out and my hair was soooo happy for the two weeks I did it.

After I ran out of this conditioner I bought the new cone free tresemme naturals and I loved it for the first week I used it and while I could tell the difference between the two I liked them both.

Fast forward to this past week, after a medium oiling of olive oil I COed but my hair was flat and lank so I ended up clarifying shampooing it the next day.

The next day I go back to my regular CO wash because I expected it was just the olive oil, same greasy lank result as before.

The next day I give up and go back to my original CWC but my ends are sooooo dry and crunchy shudder: They are way worse than they have been ever since coming to LHC.

I really wanted CO to work and it was working great for a while and now I just don't know what happened. I was figuring that after I finish with this bottle I would go back to tresemme with cones and just continue clarifying because that worked but I don't think I want to let my ends be so brittle and dry for that long.

So all you LHC CO experts does this sound like a common rookie mistake? Any suggestions or ideas? Any advice is greatly appreciated by both me and my hair.

-Ashley

virgo75
September 1st, 2011, 09:14 PM
It could be the olive oil. It can take me 3 or 4 shampoo washings spread out over a week or so to get it out. It never seems to come out of my hair in 1 day even if I wash multiple times on that day with clarifying shampoo.

If CO was working for you then maybe give your hair a couple of shampoo washings to make sure all the olive oil is out then go back to what you were doing: CO washing and clarifying once per week.

julierockhead
September 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
I've been COing for probably about a month now, clarifying approximately once a week or so.

What are you clarifying with?

darklion
September 1st, 2011, 11:48 PM
when I CWC, I start off like CO.
I completely soak my entire head of hair in conditioner, tie it up, and let it soak for about an hour.
Then in the shower, I do a quick rinse; protecting the conditioned ends; and wash only my scalp with a sulfate free shampoo. I do a more thorough rinse (still protecting the conditioned ends). Then I apply conditioner from the ears down (like a normal conditioning cycle). A thorough rinse of entire head.
Lastly, I do a acv dunk and completely rinse my hair out in cool water.
This is how I semi CO and avoid the lankies.

Desideira
September 2nd, 2011, 02:06 AM
when I CWC, I start off like CO.
I completely soak my entire head of hair in conditioner, tie it up, and let it soak for about an hour.
Then in the shower, I do a quick rinse; protecting the conditioned ends; and wash only my scalp with a sulfate free shampoo. I do a more thorough rinse (still protecting the conditioned ends). Then I apply conditioner from the ears down (like a normal conditioning cycle). A thorough rinse of entire head.
Lastly, I do a acv dunk and completely rinse my hair out in cool water.
This is how I semi CO and avoid the lankies.

I like your routine:) I tired CO once or twice but my ahir was limp.

I think I will try out yout routine, you inspired me to try, thank you:D:cheese:

alwayssmiling
September 2nd, 2011, 02:14 AM
I suspect you used too much oil. Try clarifying again and doing a deep moisture treatment. Leave it covered for as long as possible before rinsing, then use some leave in. Too much oil makes my hair really crunchy, really suddenly.

pepperminttea
September 2nd, 2011, 03:05 AM
Tresemme Naturals is too heavy for me to CO with - I wash with a lighter conditioner and just use TN on the length, from about the chin down. Do you have a lighter 'cone-free condish you could try? :)

tigereye
September 2nd, 2011, 03:25 AM
To be honest I think it's the oil. My hair gets horrible after oiling and my usual CWC nor the often suggested CO actually gets it out. It takes 2 straight shampoos and a clarifying to get olive oil or sunflower oil out of my hair. I did a coconut treatment last week. I have now washed my hair twice (I normally only wash it once a week) and there's still residue in it. I figure I'm not going to go near oil anymore. The torture it goes through to get it out cancels out any benefit. And I always have to do another really long DT just to put in the moisture that the shampoo has taken out.

Alvrodul
September 2nd, 2011, 05:11 AM
I too think it probably is the oil. Olive oil is one I have had bad experiences with - my hair became a sticky, lanky mess, and it was very hard to get rid of the oil. So that is one oil I am happy to let remain in the kitchen.
But don't discount the possibility that it also could be the CO - or the combination of olive oil and CO!
I hope you figure it out, so that your hair can be happy and pretty again!

celebriangel
September 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'd also like to add that if you're using conefree products to CO, then there is no need to clarify anything like once a week. Cones need clarifying, and some conefree conditioners are a bit gunky but they tend not to be ones that work well for CO.

Too much clarifying can dry out your hair. I would do an SMT to see how your ends react (once you've removed the oil). And then don't clarify until you feel like your hair needs it - it will likely take some months.

misspurdy06
September 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
One very important thing about quitting shampoo is that it is a drastic change in you hair care routine and other things will have to change too.

Since your hair isn't being stripped on a regular basis you don't need to use oil as much.

You have to adapt to your new routine.

NotInPortland
September 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
From the crunchiness in particular that you mentioned I'm pretty sure it's the oil that's the culprit not the conditioner. I always use coconut oil-I tried olive oil once and it had similar results to what you described, crunchy ends and all round lank and lifeless looking hair and had a terrible time trying to wash it out I think it took three separate washes to get it fully out, never again!!!

ghilliegirl_an
September 2nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks so much for all of your advice, I think you're right about it being the olive oil, in fact now that it's been mentioned I believe I've had this problem with olive oil before and forgot :doh: . I have been using suave daily clarifying which I got when I was COing with cone tresemme. Now that I am using the no cone conditioner I plan on clarifying every two weeks or so because I still use a leave-in with cones(I can't bear to change it, it works great and smells soooo good). Thanks again for the help, my hair I'm sure will thank you once I get this oil business sorted out :)