PDA

View Full Version : mousse?

longcurlygirl<3
September 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM
Is it bad for your hair? I want it to make my hair curlier and hold, plus I am interested in the herbal essences or another cg firendly one? Any thoughts, recommendation?

mallorykay13
September 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM
I will be watching this thread too.

MissManda
September 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
I think some mousse is not so great for hair because it tends to contain alcohol. I know there are some mousses out there that don't contain it, but I don't remember which ones.

Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable than myself will respond because I'd like to know the answer to this, too. :)

Tealpuffin
September 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
I asked a similar thing and was told a small amount of gel was better but I am yet to try it x

Helix
September 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
If you don't mind the price you could try some Kinky-Curly products, (the curling custard and the leave in are pretty popular). I've seen their products define type 4 curls so surely they would work for your curls. Just a guess...HTH

Roscata
September 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Yes, it glues hairs together and if you separate them (in stead of washing/rinsing it off) the hair will be damaged.

"Styling Products- While obviously a lesser demon in the spectrum of hair evils, may mousses, sprays and gels contain alcohol or other drying agents. If your hair is already damaged, it's probably unruly, but you're only furthering the damage by trying to tame it with drying products. Then there's what happens when your hair starts to move with those products in in. [...]
The first photo shows the hair held in place by hairspray, the second shows the shell left by the hairspray after the two hairs have been pulled apart. Note the impression of the cuticle scales left behind." (Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79))

Here are some alternatives: Natural Styling products (https://sites.google.com/site/roscatahair/naturalproducts) :D

YepLilly
September 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
I don't have an exact answer to your question, but as others have said, gels are always a good alternative. AVG works great and I know many people swear by LA Looks Sport (the blue one).

I don't use mousse that much, but when I do I go with Clairol 3-in-1 mousses. They're alcohol-free which always helps.

misspurdy06
September 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Conditioning mousse maybe and if you rinse it out at the end of the day.

Copasetic
September 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
A lot of people have problems with mousse, but I love it. I pretty much never use gel any more. I like all the HE mousses, and I just started using the Dove mousse for curly hair. It's great too. My hair isn't dry, and I haven't noticed any other ill effects from using mousse.

Lianna
September 2nd, 2011, 10:08 PM
I didn't think mousse was "as bad" as gel, or leaves hair crunchy like gels. I've never used mousse, but I'm curious.

Can they be used on straight hair? To make it less fly-away. My mother has mild fly-away (she's 1c) and wanted to get some mousse. I don't want her to ruin her hair though (she's also growing).

redcelticcurls
September 2nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
If you don't mind the price you could try some Kinky-Curly products, (the curling custard and the leave in are pretty popular). I've seen their products define type 4 curls so surely they would work for your curls. Just a guess...HTH

I've been using the Kinky Curly line for about 4 years, and it rarely fails me.

As far as mousses, I've heard good things about the JoiWhip as well as the HE.

But, OP, I don't know if any of these things will help with the length induced curl loss you've mentioned elsewhere b

redcelticcurls
September 2nd, 2011, 11:03 PM
Yes, it glues hairs together and if you separate them (in stead of washing/rinsing it off) the hair will be damaged.

"Styling Products- While obviously a lesser demon in the spectrum of hair evils, may mousses, sprays and gels contain alcohol or other drying agents. If your hair is already damaged, it's probably unruly, but you're only furthering the damage by trying to tame it with drying products. Then there's what happens when your hair starts to move with those products in in. [...]
The first photo shows the hair held in place by hairspray, the second shows the shell left by the hairspray after the two hairs have been pulled apart. Note the impression of the cuticle scales left behind." (Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79))

Here are some alternatives: Natural Styling products (https://sites.google.com/site/roscatahair/naturalproducts) :D

I can't speak for mousse since I don't use it, but, gels have come a long way. Most quality gels are alcohol free nowadays.

Lianna
September 2nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
I can't speak for mousse since I don't use it, but, gels have come a long way. Most quality gels are alcohol free nowadays.

That's what I thought too, I've been using gel for a long time now. This about glueing (and braking hairs later when split) I thought it was about hairspray.

redcelticcurls
September 2nd, 2011, 11:36 PM
For what it's worth, JoiWhip is alcohol free. It does have polyquat 11, which, for some, can build up enough to need a standard shampoo.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlproducts/view/2173/joico-joiwhip-mousse

mallorykay13
September 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM

Thank you for this. I will try to avoid mousse. This has helped me and my hair thanks you. :) :cheese:

Lianna
September 3rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Well, I have something good to say about gel. It kept my bangs stretched and I didn't have SSK's (single strand knots) anymore. I've used for 10+ months everyday (I wash everyday) and it didn't damage my hair.

I'm interested in this thread because I think mousse could be better, because it doesn't make hair feel as hard. I'd really appreciate if someone could post positive experiences.

Roscata
September 3rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
Thank you for this. I will try to avoid mousse. This has helped me and my hair thanks you. :) :cheese:

You're welcome! :)

Lianna
September 3rd, 2011, 08:14 PM
Ok, I know gel (even aloe) make hair hard, and gelatin too. If anyone knows, does mousse make hair hard too? I really can't afford to buy it to just know.

(if you comb/brush after your hair is hardened by gel or gelatin it will possibly brake, even "natural stuff", but if you rinse it out without touching it, it won't be a problem)

Roscata
September 3rd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Ok, I know gel (even aloe) make hair hard, and gelatin too. If anyone knows, does mousse make hair hard too? I really can't afford to buy it to just know.

(if you comb/brush after your hair is hardened by gel or gelatin it will possibly brake, even "natural stuff", but if you rinse it out without touching it, it won't be a problem)

I use aloe vera gel and it never hardened my hair. *shrug* But I did use mousse back in the day, it made my hair hard.

I do agree that washing/rinsing it off minimizes the danger of damaging hair and if you find a gel/mouse/etc without alcohol then you should be safe from the drying effect. :D

Lianna
September 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks, Roscata. The hard factor is pretty much my main concern, I hate that feeling. Finding stuff without alcohol is pretty easy now.

Roscata
September 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Roscata. The hard factor is pretty much my main concern, I hate that feeling. Finding stuff without alcohol is pretty easy now.

You're welcome! :D

I'm glad that hair products are getting more hair friendly, the last time I used them was too long ago for that haha.

MinderMutsig
September 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM

(if you comb/brush after your hair is hardened by gel or gelatin it will possibly brake, even "natural stuff", but if you rinse it out without touching it, it won't be a problem) It all depends on the mousse. It comes in different strengths just like gel and I'm sure there is also a difference between brands.

redcelticcurls
September 3rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Well, even aloe can give crunch. My gel is primarily aloe and agave, and I get various amounts of crunch depending on what I use under it and how much I use.

Crunch is pretty easily scrunched out after the hair is totally dry. Doing so too soon can cause frizz.

koalacat-Ash
September 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
I am new here, but I use aussie's leave in conditioner/mousse and it treats my hair pretty well. I stay away from most styling agents, keep it as natural as possible, but I use the Aussie stuff when I'm adding a little fluff :)

luthein
September 4th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I use the Herbal Essences mousse with positive results. My friend's wife had the most beautiful waves, and she recommended the product to me. I've been very pleased with it.

CurlyMopTop
September 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I don't know if this helps but I picked up some mousse today to try out. It's V05 Perfect hold. It claims all day hold without build-up. The ingredients are:

Water, Isobutane, Propane, Polyquaternium 11, Polysorbate 20, PVP, Polyquaternium 4, PPG 12 PEG 50 Lanolin, Olealkonium Chloride, Polyquaternium 7, Cyclopentasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance

I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Suave has a new one out that is alchohol free, but it contains cones. Can someone with more experience take a look at the list and tell me if there are any cones here that I'm missing? I give a review after I've used it a couple of times. Wish me luck! :D

Lianna
September 6th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Cyclopentasiloxane and Cyclohexasiloxane are cones, I believe.

CurlyMopTop
September 6th, 2011, 03:15 PM
:( This makes me sad. Has anyone found a mousse that is alchohol and silicone free?

CarpeDM
September 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM
The safest mousse that I have found thus far is Giovanni's Natural Mousse (found at Walmart). I have also used Aubrey Organics B5 Design Gel which has been recommended for body and lift. AO's gel is OK but you can only use a tiny bit of it for body, if you use more than that your hair get's a "wet" heavy look which defeats the whole purpose. Gels generally don't work for my already thin flat hair so I've always gravitated towards mousses for body and a little hold. Giovanni's mousse is pretty good and only has a couple of ingredients that are not really "natural". I only use it a little at the roots which helps create a little lift. It isn't sticky so it doesn't make your stick together or damage it in anyway (at least for me). I also believe it is alcohol free, good luck!

Lianna
September 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I was pretty much hoping to find a mousse that can get rid of frizz like a light oiling, but giving a little bit of hold (but not too much, so I can still touch my hair). No more body, I need less body.

I might be asking for too much in a product. :D

ETA: Might try this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herbal-Essences-Set-Me-Up-Mousse-lily-bliss-fragrance-/110614006186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c11bc9aa), I'd need to pay $25 shipping to try the Aussie or the VO5. This one is only $10. [not talking prices, only shipping to my country]

CarpeDM
September 6th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Then the gel might be what you are looking for:

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo/098.aspx

Even though it says body, I wouldn't say it really gives you a lot of body, but it does help slickify your hair a bit...

Lianna
September 6th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Then the gel might be what you are looking for:

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo/098.aspx

Even though it says body, I wouldn't say it really gives you a lot of body, but it does help slickify your hair a bit...

Thanks, but has aloe vera high on the list, I'd feel like I'm using gel, and it's called gel...I never tried a mousse (never seen on shelves). I edited my last post. :)

I've used AVG by the way. And normal hard hold gels.

CarpeDM
September 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM
OK good luck!

Lianna
September 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Thank you! :) Still a little expensive for me so I'm just thinking about it really (with the shipping and all).

CurlyMopTop
September 6th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks CarpeDM. I use Giovanni 50/50 S/C and the direct leave-in. Maybe I'll give their mousse a try to. I'm looking for something to tame frizzys/flyaways and add curl definition. I've tried several different gels and don't like any of them. I like using plain aloe gel when there is humidity in the air, but it's not going to work with the drier weather (which is now beginning). My hair isn't looking so hot anymore with the aloe. I imagine that it has something to do with the dewpoint.

Libbylou
September 6th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Wow, I never knew mousse was that bad for hair. I use it almost every day. Then my hair is only to my collar bone. I guess I will have to re think the styling solutions when my hair gets longer.

emelnd
September 6th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I like Herbal Essences mousse (totally twisted). The gel is also nice.

MinderMutsig
September 7th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Wow, I never knew mousse was that bad for hair. I use it almost every day. Then my hair is only to my collar bone. I guess I will have to re think the styling solutions when my hair gets longer. It isn't. Hairspray isn't very good to your hair but as long as you stay away from the alcohol based mousses there is nothing wrong with mousse. Not all alcohols are created equal though. The ones you need to stay away from are alcohol or Denat. alcohol. Any alcohol that is somethingsomething-yl alcohol are alcohols that are actually good for the hair.

CarpeDM
September 7th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Yes give their mousse a try, I think it works pretty well :)