PDA

View Full Version : Super glue on hair! HELP!

RitaPG
September 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
So, without the usual "get the scissors", how does one remove super glue out of hair?
I remember reading a while ago about someone who had this very issue, I think oil was an option.
Help :cry:

mallorykay13
September 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM
Acetone dissolves super glue, I dont know how hair friendly this would be. If all else fails its an option. Better to try acetone then cut. I'd use it as a back up plan.

swetiepeti
September 1st, 2011, 03:55 PM
acetone can help break the bond, you can find it in many finger nail polish removers

Alvrodul
September 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM
Ouch!
Have a look at the ingredient list - and perhaps do a bit of testing on something that isn't hair first if you need to resort to anything strong. I think one of the things that you could consider trying, is nail polish remover.
I hope you are able to get the glue out of your hair!

Yame
September 1st, 2011, 04:09 PM
Where is the glue, and how much hair is it affecting?

Mesmerise
September 1st, 2011, 04:11 PM
Acetone is the only thing I can think of too. I don't think oil would do much against super glue!

Cainwen
September 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Having worked with superglue in a lab setting for years (oy what a nightmare), acetone is pretty much the only thing that'll dissolve superglue. Make sure you check the bottle of nail polish remover though--some of them are using other chemicals (acetate?) instead of acetone for various reasons and they didn't do much against superglue. Acetone works like a charm though.

RitaPG
September 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Where is the glue, and how much hair is it affecting?
A chunk of hair on my left side, the glue is in the form of gel, so it must've spread into different places. At first there were three different places glued together, it felt like they were just three massive tangles, only after looking again I realized it was glue shudder:

I ended up oiling it and it did help "break" the glue. I no longer have big drops holding the strands together, only tiny pieces of glue on individual strands (hope this doesn't sound confusing).
I'm just going to wash the oil off and remove the rest with acetone. Oh sh*t...
Wish me luck!

Nienna
September 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
I once got fingernail polish all over my hair (long story :o) and had to use fingernail polish remover to get it back out - after sleeping on it. shudder:
I don't remember any excessive damage from that - shedding or dull spots - so I would assume you will be OK with just a little bit of acetone and then some TLC.
Good Luck! :blossom:

MajorasMask
September 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM
Ouch. Ive had some nasty things happen with super glue. Good luck!

RitaPG
September 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM
As my hair keeps drying the glue seems to either break off or slide out of my strands. I think this will be a lot less complicated than initially seemed :)

Kyla
September 1st, 2011, 06:04 PM
The idea of super glue in my hair terrifies me deeply. I'm glad it's starting to come out1

UltraBella
September 1st, 2011, 06:04 PM
Well, I would say overall this is a mild super glue accident and you will have a much better outcome than my husband's emergency patient. She was shopping and her contacts were drying out so she put her rewetting drops in her eye, except it was SUPER GLUE !!!!!!!!!!

Cainwen
September 1st, 2011, 06:12 PM
Well, I would say overall this is a mild super glue accident and you will have a much better outcome than my husband's emergency patient. She was shopping and her contacts were drying out so she put her rewetting drops in her eye, except it was SUPER GLUE !!!!!!!!!!

GAH! :shudder:

Yet another reason not to keep superglue in the same purse compartment as contact stuff. I remember that stuff feeling unpleasant on my fingers...

I'm morbidly curious though. Since I was given to understand by chemists that superglue cures in the presence of moisture, did this story have a happy ending?

UltraBella
September 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM
GAH! :shudder:

Yet another reason not to keep superglue in the same purse compartment as contact stuff. I remember that stuff feeling unpleasant on my fingers...

I'm morbidly curious though. Since I was given to understand by chemists that superglue cures in the presence of moisture, did this story have a happy ending?

Well, to get the eye open all the lashes had to be trimmed down to little nubs. That alone would be horrible. Toxic conjunctivitis is what the actual diagnosis was, it's pretty much a really bad allergic reaction and super glue is so drying to the eye that it is not fun at all, but full recovery was made after an expensive doctor's bill and expensive eye drops.
It takes lashes a long time to grow back fully.

RitaPG
September 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM
Wow that story is just terrifying, the poor girl :(

I'm starting to believe that my hair will be just fine, I had no hairloss when washing/detangling, I did snip (not snap) about a dozen strands, no biggie. And the glue keeps coming off, don't think I'll need the acetone after all :)
Next time I'm assembling hairsticks, I'll keep my hair up! :o

Yame
September 1st, 2011, 09:21 PM

Off to bed, thanks for the nightmares you are about to give me!

Why oh why must I read LHC right before bedtime? :(

:D

Yame
September 1st, 2011, 09:27 PM
BTW I wouldn't think super glue on hair would be a big deal. Very frightening concept, but super glue does eventually dry and come off of skin, and probably hair too.
Each and every time I use it, I get it on my hands. Each and every time, I am scared ****less. Within less than a day it all peels off though, without me having to do anything.

Until it's all off, avoid brushing/combing your hair or be very careful to avoid those spots so you're not ripping hair off when the brush/comb gets stuck. As it dries, you can probably try to pull it off by using your finger nails.

Worse than super glue is gum. When I was a child, there was a boy who would constantly stick gum on my hair. One time he stuck some really, really, sticky, nasty gum very high up on my hair and I had to get an extremely short cut (my hair was already a bob) to get rid of it.

Sundial
September 1st, 2011, 09:32 PM
I know which thread you are referring to, but it was oil for bubble gum I believe :( hope you manage to solve this with minimal damage RO your hair

EtherealOde
September 2nd, 2011, 01:21 AM
I would be afraid to pull it off, for fear it would damage the cuticle layers. Acetone only on the glue spots seems a far safer alternative to picking and pulling at the glue or the hair. Yikes!