PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your hair from tangling?

bluesnowflake
September 1st, 2011, 02:50 PM
I haven't worn my hair down for more than half an hour in months, but I'd really like to wear it down for the first day of school to show off how long it's gotten. Yes, vain little me :rolleyes:. Any tips for keeping tangles to a minimum? I'm going to keep a comb with me so I can hopefully comb it out at least once.

Kindredraeven
September 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM
It should be fine indoors. Windy days are not long hair's friend ;)

mallorykay13
September 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM
I just finger comb mine when I'm bored in class. That seems to help.

SkinnyCookie
September 1st, 2011, 03:06 PM
I keep a small wide-toothed comb in my purse and I just give random sections of my hair a good rake through in between classes. It's usually not tangled per se, more like just disorderly, so I don't have to worry about damaging it that way.

Lianna
September 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM
The only way I can detangle my hair while dry is using my tangle teezer. When it starts to tangle I use it. Plus half-ups and ponytails/braids show a bit of length too.

MyKing'sQueen
September 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM
The only way I can detangle my hair while dry is using my tangle teezer. When it starts to tangle I use it. Plus half-ups and ponytails/braids show a bit of length too.
I loove my tangle teezer! So much easier to detangle! Also fx silk drops helped me tremendously to prevent tangling if you use cones.

MusingFrog
September 1st, 2011, 04:00 PM
While this is totally counterintuitive, I've found that the more I try to touch and detangle my hair the worse it will get (assuming it isn't really windy or anything, just standard moving around). The reason is that while initially it will remain untangled, as soon as I start to walk it tangles slightly again, then I'm stuck trying to detangle and get if perfect, then once I do the process repeats with me constantly worrying about the tangles.

On the other hand, if you just ignore your hair because you know it looks great and keep your comb/fingers out of it until you get home, the tangles likely won't be that bad. I've often found that it will want to tangle to a certain amount and then not really get worse as the day goes on. So whether I comb it out fifteen minutes into my day or at the end I'm still dealing with the same amount of tangles (more or less).

Just my two cents.

mallorykay13
September 1st, 2011, 04:18 PM
While this is totally counterintuitive, I've found that the more I try to touch and detangle my hair the worse it will get (assuming it isn't really windy or anything, just standard moving around). The reason is that while initially it will remain untangled, as soon as I start to walk it tangles slightly again, then I'm stuck trying to detangle and get if perfect, then once I do the process repeats with me constantly worrying about the tangles.

On the other hand, if you just ignore your hair because you know it looks great and keep your comb/fingers out of it until you get home, the tangles likely won't be that bad. I've often found that it will want to tangle to a certain amount and then not really get worse as the day goes on. So whether I comb it out fifteen minutes into my day or at the end I'm still dealing with the same amount of tangles (more or less).

Just my two cents.

Interesting. I will try this next time I wear my hair down. :) Thank you. I am enlightened.

pepperminttea
September 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Wear it up until you get to school; something simple, like a hairstick-held bun. Nip into the bathroom, and take it down. Presto fresh-from-bun hair! :D Especially handy on windy days.

A light oiling can help with tangling, ditto a 'cone-y serum if you use 'cones.

Dragon
September 2nd, 2011, 06:13 AM
I find using a little oil on the length stops it tangling as bad.

Zenity
September 2nd, 2011, 07:13 AM
Best is to keep your hair cuticles intact. If they are not opened or striped your hair will be smooth and won't tangle as much.
Every time we detangle, finger comb, rub, separate streaks, etc. The friction on our hair caused by that makes or hair shaft weaker therefore more prone to tangle.

I have a little girl with straight and the finest, yet thicker hair. I NEVER comb her hair. Looks tangled after the shower but when it dryes every single hair finds its way down in an incredibly smooth way. She never has tangles once her hair is dry. I believe keeping all the stress of combing her hair out of her hair helps tremendously in keeping it strong and healthy.
We will see how it grows...

celebriangel
September 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Best is to keep your hair cuticles intact. If they are not opened or striped your hair will be smooth and won't tangle as much.
Every time we detangle, finger comb, rub, separate streaks, etc. The friction on our hair caused by that makes or hair shaft weaker therefore more prone to tangle.

I have a little girl with straight and the finest, yet thicker hair. I NEVER comb her hair. Looks tangled after the shower but when it dryes every single hair finds its way down in an incredibly smooth way. She never has tangles once her hair is dry. I believe keeping all the stress of combing her hair out of her hair helps tremendously in keeping it strong and healthy.
We will see how it grows...

For some people, this won't work. If you don't have straight hair, for instance - curly hair is curly because the cuticles are *not* intact. It just grows that way. I agree too much combing isn't good for mechanical damage, however if I didn't detangle my hair it would matt into dreadlocks, not slip out of tangles. Also people with porous hair, whatever straightness/curliness level have naturally opened, disrupted cuticles so this won't work for them either.

What I'm saying here is that without knowing more about the OP's hair, it's impossible to know whether this will work for her or be a disaster. With 1b/1c hair, it could go either way.

Zenity
September 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Celebriangel, you are totally right. Forgot to mention that point, but yes, that only works if you have sleek, straight hair.

LouLaLa
September 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
I use childrens de-tangling spray when its wet and it seems to keep it tangle free when its dry too. Other than that I just keep my favourite brush on standby and give the ends a thorough brushing.

spidermom
September 2nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
A little oil in my hair makes tangling much, much worse because it attracts dust and lint.

My no-tangle recipe:
1) Coney serum (don't overdo it).
2) Wear a very smooth top (nothing nubby or rough).
3) Avoid tossing your head and playing with your hair.