PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About OILS

julierockhead
September 1st, 2011, 01:18 PM
Do some oils sink in to the hair itself, as coconut oil is reputed to do? Are some oils better for using as a daily sealant or shining oil? Are some oils best for growth, and some for strength and condition of the hair shaft? Why does the ash content in black castor oil make it help hair (supposedly) grow faster? Do certain oil combinations enhance each other? Do some combinations cancel each other out?
And then there are the essential oils! Almost forgot those!

I already have some organic cold-pressed coconut oil from Tropical Traditions, and am loving it. I'm trying to (slowly, budget limitations) build myself a haircare routine, what oil should I try next? I am interested in maintaining fairly healthy box colored hair, and growth.

Kyla
September 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM
I found this list a little while ago on untamedtresses (which I have only visited twice, so I'm not cheating on LHC! )

Straight chain glycerides are oils that penetrate:

Avocado
Camellia
Castor Oil
Coconut
Olive
Palm Kernel
Sweet Almond

Oils that partially penetrate:

Meadowfoam seed

Polyunsaturated oils sit on top of hair:

Broccoli Seed
Grapeseed
Jojoba
Sesame
Sunflower

So basically, from my understanding the oils that penetrate actually add moisture, while the ones that sit on top of the hair seal in moisture that's already in the hair, by temporarily closing off and protecting the cuticle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Original source (with more info on oil): http://www.untamedtresses.com/content/108-sorting-out-hair-oil-confusion.html

There might be an article around LHC too about this.

Kyla
September 1st, 2011, 01:35 PM
Found an archived (I think) thread about this subject! http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56288

Here you go! :)

julierockhead
September 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks Kyla, the penetrating/non-penetrating oils list is going to help me bunches!

pepperminttea
September 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM
It's basically the same info Kyla gave you, but in case there's a problem with linking to uTT, here's a thread with the same info on LHC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971). :)

I found this list a little while ago on untamedtresses (which I have only visited twice, so I'm not cheating on LHC! )

It's not cheating, it's having the best of both worlds. :p

Kyla
September 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Lol, thank you pepperminttea, I am going to cling to that defense! :P

archel
September 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
I knew castor oil wasn't just coating and stimulating my roots - I'm so glad I bought some! And I steal my BF's olive oil at his house and it does amazing things for my hair - so if those 2 are good for me I bet coconut is, too. Yay!

swearnsue
September 1st, 2011, 08:31 PM
I've been using some cheap coconut oil LuAnna and I really like it. It's been chemically treated or whatever so it doesn't even smell like coconut but I'm going to use it until it's gone. I can cook with it too. Now that I've been reading about oils I guess I bought the wrong kind but my hair seems to like it.

chou
September 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM
I like using a couple of drops of argan oil as a shining oil on damp hair. It makes my hair soft and glossy.

tbearoz
September 2nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
I make up a serum of Argan Oil for to seal in moisture, Coconut oil to penetrate the hair (moisture and protection) and Broccoli Seed Oil for shine and smoothness. I split my hair into two bunches and smear my palms with the tiniest amount of oil serum. I then oil the first bunch from the chin down. I again smear my palms and do the other bunch of hair. I do this each morning and if the atmosphere is very dry sometimes again during the day (sometimes I just do it because I like to play with my hair). My hair is soft, smooth and shiny but never too oily. I usually wash my hair every 10 days so I get a nice buildup of the oil serum in the hair.

JDzWife
October 10th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I have a question about oils.

I have blonde (color-treated) long, medium-thick hair, a little on the dry side. I have been experimenting with virgin coconut oil and my hair soaks it up. It's very soft and manageable the next day. I have bought a few more oils to use including Argan, Sweet almond, grape seed oil and pomegranate seed oil. I picked up a bottle of EVOO with avocado and love that too.

My question is.. are there certain oils that will discolor light hair? I read somewhere that avocado may turn your hair green?? TIA!!