PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if everyone knew about the LHC?

catarinalaree
September 1st, 2011, 10:54 AM
Just wondering, this is probably off-topic but how would you feel if everyone was using the LHC and everyone was informed about the secrets of other fellow LHCers? To me, the LHC is like a family recipe book or a tradition, something that's passed on but not spread around, it's my little secret and all that I learn on here I wouldn't just pass it on to all my friends. Not that I don't want other people to get amazing hair and that, but I just feel like there is normal haircare, and then there is LHC haircare which goes beyond.

Today I was reading this blog post on a beauty website on haircare and it made no sense to me, this woman was giving the most obvious information ever and what struck me was that about 2 months ago I would have followed what she was saying religiously. And all of a sudden I feel like most people I know and those "beauty gurus" on Youtube can be a bit ignorant. And even though their tips can sound stupid to me, their hair look great (well, as great as overheated, overdyed, under cared for hair could look like)

Maybe I'm being selfish, maybe it's jealousy (?) but imagine someone sharing every single tip and secret on YouTube (maybe someone already does) on proper haircare, the LHC way, as much as I would like more people to know about that, I wouldn't want... Ok I have no way of finishing that sentence (kind of feels like a rant, sorry) but does anyone feel like this? What are your opinions?

Chromis
September 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'd be pretty indifferent. It's a public forum not a family secret. If more people wish to grow their hair out, the more the merrier!

catarinalaree
September 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah I feel that way too about growing long hair but I'm talking about caring for the hair specifically :)

dRummie
September 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
I'd be all for it! I think it's wonderful when as many people as possible have access to resources that can improve something about their lives. It doesn't cost us anything to share what we're learning here, and if it can help somebody else, all the better.

catarinalaree
September 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM
Ok then, I'm on a mission to getting all my friends to finally join us!!

Rebecca.1905
September 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Actually, I talk about LHC and all the great things I've learned here all the time. My niece butchered her hair a couple of weeks ago and when I heard I told her mom to come here for tips. I mentioned monistat to her and she was definitely skeptical, but she did say she'd pop by to check it out and see what info she could find. I honestly don't know if she ever did, but I know it would be very helpful in the growing-out process of the pixie E ended up with.

I think it'd be great if people would come to learn good things for their hair. Then maybe they wouldn't look at me so strangely when I mention putting oil in my hair! LOL!

celebriangel
September 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM
There will always be people who want quick, easy solutions rather than putting thought, time and effort into their routine. It's more the thought and experimentation than anything else - straightening is easy, because everyone does it, but experimenting wih your wash routine? Heck no, just try that new S&C that was on TV.

I think these people will probably always be in the majority. Most people think their hair should just sit and do what they want it to, and if it stops cooperating they try a new product then they chop it. I think the sheer amount of thought and reading that we here put in doesn't appeal to most people.

I would like to see more people with nice hair IRL, though. (by "nice" I mean "healthy and well cared-for). Though, if everyone had long, beautiful, shiny hair I would probably feel much more ordinary than I currently do!

Delila
September 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
There will always be people who want quick, easy solutions rather than putting thought, time and effort into their routine. It's more the thought and experimentation than anything else - ...

This is so true. Most people don't make the time to figure out what really works for their own hair (and skin, and nails ... ).

I think there's a lot of social pressure to act a though you don't pay much attention to such things, to trivialize and minimize the difficulty of figuring out what really works. If you take it seriously, you're considered kind of odd, and vain. The main reason this bothers me is that it stifles the flow of truly useful information, and leaves a lot of room for misinformation.

racrane
September 1st, 2011, 12:13 PM
^ This. I think that most people don't have enough time or energy or want to focus on their hair as much. I have people interested in how nice my hair looks but they lost interest when I talk about my routines. "Too much work" Ah well.

stacyyyy1972
September 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM
I Too talk about the recipes and the site all the time. I Had found that those interested in investing the care will inquire further and go purchase the product..of course I refer them to LHC as there is so much I dont know that many of you do. But many have commented on my hair and of course it gives me the opportunity to share. some just go" oh wow thats different" and others have actually went out and purchased product for the recipes. I luv it and get excited for them :) many look at these web sites and think they are really doing good ands have the intention of caring fire their hair as the rest of us but just dont have the correct knowledge so I say share away :)

julierockhead
September 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Some people research - and some people just want to spend money for a quick fix. If they are really looking for help, they will find the LHC on their own.

Nightshade
September 1st, 2011, 01:02 PM
Some people research - and some people just want to spend money for a quick fix. If they are really looking for help, they will find the LHC on their own.

No kidding. We're the second Google results for "long hair (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=long+hair)" right after the Wikipedia entry. :p

GlassWidow
September 1st, 2011, 01:06 PM
In response to the OP, I think even if everyone knew about LHC, there would still be the same "youtube beauty gurus" with just as many fans. Just like there are plenty of people who have access to secret family recipe, but still prefer mac and cheese from a box. ;)

I think this thread ties in with the one someone posted earlier about hair models. The OP in that thread was talking about how she gets discouraged with her own hair when she sees what she thinks is perfection on someone else. It's hard sometimes to embrace that your own hair, well taken care of, can be perfection. So, people are always looking for the magic product that will give them the hair they don't naturally have. Before LHC, I used to watch TV and think "why doesn't my hair look like that!?!?!" and though it's taken some time, I've come to realize that my hair doesn't look like that because nobody's hair REALLY looks like that, even the really, really great hair on LHC. My point is, though, that there will always be those who want what they have not, regardless of whether or not they know the basics of treating hair well in the first place.

camara
September 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
I´d be all for people growing their hair and caring for it in the best way possible, but at the same time I was afraid that the LHC way of haircare was being made fun of. There are people out there that want bleached velcro hair and find oiling and COing and the like disgusting or odd. I wouldn´t want to tell everybody about it because I remember my DH´s facial expression when I told him I wanted knee lenght hair...and he loves and respects me. I wonder what someone who doesn´t love and respect me was going to say about WO, if I told them?

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 01:11 PM
I would be happy! More people with healthy hair, using natural products, less polution, more money to spend on other things.

I tried to get friends to come here, but they want quick fixes and prefer store-bought, well-advertised brands. Can't blame them, a Keune bottle looks and smells much nicer than store-brands and olive oil mixed with eggs in a paper cup.

I care about results, so I read... And read... And read... Tiring, but it really pays off to be well-informed and I wish more people went down our road than patching up with silicones, dying too often and then being sorry about the damage.

I have a dream of a world of LHC... *drifts away into drama*

I have a dream that my future children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the labels and price of their shampoos, but by their classic length flapping in the wind as they run toward a new freedom.

/drama

Rosetta
September 2nd, 2011, 03:44 AM
It sure would make my life a heck a lot of easier, if everyone thought this way :) (Of course there are many, many ways of haircare even here on LHC, but I mean this general trend here being away from the current mainstream ideas of haircare...) I wouldn't need to feel like I'm somehow odd and "anti-society" ;)

But then again, that's unlikely to happen, as this is so true:

There will always be people who want quick, easy solutions rather than putting thought, time and effort into their routine. It's more the thought and experimentation than anything else - straightening is easy, because everyone does it, but experimenting wih your wash routine? Heck no, just try that new S&C that was on TV.

I think these people will probably always be in the majority. Most people think their hair should just sit and do what they want it to, and if it stops cooperating they try a new product then they chop it. I think the sheer amount of thought and reading that we here put in doesn't appeal to most people.

Dragon
September 2nd, 2011, 05:14 AM
I think it would be good if everyone knew about LHC. There would be some people who probaly would still do damaging things to there hair to make it look the way they want it to look but at least they would no better hair care so it doesen't get as damage. Plus it would be nice to see more healthy hair around. I do tell people about stuff I have learnt here but I don't tell people who I know woulden't care or would think it's weird. I think it's good that there is a site that helps people learn to take better care of there hair.

heidihug
September 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
As others have noted, it's an interesting hypothetical, but in reality, people generally just aren't interested like we are. If it isn't easy, fast and involves a stylist, then forget it.

I don't talk about the LHC to anyone - ever! It's my secret, and I'm keeping it to myself! ;)
Well, that's not entirely how I feel, but there's definitely some of that in there. I honestly don't want friends and family poking around in here, and perhaps becoming members. I talk about them in my blog! Eh, none of them are interested, anyway, but still, I'm not taking the chance!

And if I talk about hair to acquaintances or strangers, it's about principles of good hair care, certainly, but I don't mention anything about an online forum...about hair, for goodness sake. Many people where I live just barely know how to send an email; if I talk about a website and belonging to a group with members who are united in their interest in hair, I will only be portraying myself as some sort of freak. I know, I made that mistake when I first became a member. The looks I got - yikes! Not worth it.

jeanniet
September 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
No kidding. We're the second Google results for "long hair (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=long+hair)" right after the Wikipedia entry. :p
Lol, yep, not like it's a secret. There will always be people who look to commercial products and traditional routines for answers--and some who believe that it can't work if it's something you make yourself. No point in coming here if it's not something they're interested in, but we're here for the ones who are!

Venefica
September 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
I recommend this forum to everyone I know with long hair or who is growing out long hair. I think the more people that use this place the merrier.

lapelosa
September 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
To Heidihug: I just want to comment on your hair pic. So, so pretty. The tight waves and spirals look like mine, although mine are not nearly as shiny. Do you have straight hair, though?

spidermom
September 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Never gonna happen. From what I've observed, most people really enjoy using their hair as an accessory - straightening, curling, cutting at will. To just take care of it and let it grow is a strange idea. For example, my DD loves my hair, but she thinks I'm severely limited because there is so much I can't do with it.

heidihug
September 2nd, 2011, 10:56 AM
To Heidihug: I just want to comment on your hair pic. So, so pretty. The tight waves and spirals look like mine, although mine are not nearly as shiny. Do you have straight hair, though?
Thank you! Alas, yes, mine is quite as straight as a stick. The look in my sig hair pic is my once-a-year curly 'do achieved using perm rods and hair spray ;)

Madora
September 2nd, 2011, 11:02 AM
^ This. I think that most people don't have enough time or energy or want to focus on their hair as much. I have people interested in how nice my hair looks but they lost interest when I talk about my routines. "Too much work" Ah well.

Precisely! Though I tend to think many folks think long hair is "too much work"...i.e. time consuming.

It would be great if more people knew about the long hair info available here...but many are not willing (or able) to take the time to do the research..or have the patience that is part of caring for your hair properly..whether it is bra length or past your waist.

Viscountess
September 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Last night I was out at the pub with some friends. Our waitress had beautiful curly waist length hair worn loose. I said "I love your HAIR!!" my other long haired friend said YEAH (and pulled out her hairstick and gave her head a shake, loosening her raven locks).

Our waitress said Thank you ladies - she was tickled. I then said "get some coconut oil on those ends, girl!" and our waitress just lapped up the advice - and we told her about LHC. Mind you, she alread had waist length hair... so I guess it depends on your audience.

lapelosa
September 2nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Thank you! Alas, yes, mine is quite as straight as a stick. The look in my sig hair pic is my once-a-year curly 'do achieved using perm rods and hair spray ;)
You have curl envy -- I have shiny hair envy! As the Germans call straight hair. I'd like to find ways to keep my hair from dissolving into frizz as the day progresses -- which is why I'm here, alas. To return to the purpose of this thread.

When I was a kid, I actually thought that I just had frizzy and stringy hair. Then in seventh grade I got a perm. I walked into the classroom that morning and everyone started laughing, I looked so ridiculous. That was highly traumatizing.

In hindsight, I realized that a perm on top of naturally wavy/curly hair was really the culprit. And hence some of the benefit of actually knowing something about hair.

And I am more than willing to go off the reservation regarding the conventional wisdom on hair care. Although with a bit of trepidation.

Athena's Owl
September 2nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
I don't think it would make a difference. Most people don't want long natural hair.

Calaelen
September 2nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
I personally recommend LHC tips, and routines all the time. For me, anyone who will listen will get my spiel. Also, I've become so good at hair-typing that I can recommend the right treatments based on each persons specific needs.

The more the merrier I say!

julliams
September 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM
I too will talk about it to anyone who will listen but most people I come across think I spend way too much thinking about my hair and could care less about their own habits

GoatLady
September 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
I talk about the forum to anyone who will listen, and I have a link to it from my blog. I have also blogged about my LHC journey, thus far.

Just today I had my son over for dinner (he has been the recipient of all my cast off products) and I was explaining how I shampoo my scalp, only, and condition from the ears down. He's going to start doing the same thing. I have already got him air drying his hair. I consider it being a good influence. ;)

redcelticcurls
September 2nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
If everyone was here, hair world would be a bit boring. I like seeing a variety of hair styles, lengths, and types, some of which are bashed, frowned upon, or looked down upon here. Getting rid of those would be a shame.

emelnd
September 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
I'd love to see more pretty hair around me! In fact, I would love to see more pretty people around me, too!

Lianna
September 2nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
There are plenty of YouTube gurus with the same kind of knowlegde as LHC . Some are even from LHC. Just search natural hair in there...

I actually came to LHC after learning a bunch of stuff in there, so LHC knowlegde wasn't "shocking" for me (and very few were new).

Impulsive
September 2nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
Kind of hard to predict how I'd feel about something without actually living through it, but I guess I'd be split two ways. I believe I'd be happy that there were more people and therefore more voices/experience, however, with those new people would probably also come some people who didn't come to share knowledge but to jeer at alternative lifestyles, and I don't think I'd be happy about that.

fairytalehair
September 3rd, 2011, 12:48 AM
I do like how the LHC is kind of like a secret society of long hair fanatics (: I finally found my kind!

nellreno
September 3rd, 2011, 02:40 AM
Even if LHC were more popular, there would still be many, many people who have no interest in growing their hair long. Alternative forms of haircare like CO and WO might be a bit more mainstream (which would be nice when I'm trying to explain that I haven't used shampoo in months >.<), but there will still be many people who stick with their basic shampoo and conditioner routine.

Foxy_Booker
September 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
I feel like even if everyone knew about this community they wouldn't change their ways durastically. My friends are jealous of my hair but when I tell them all the supplements I take and the oiling and all the other extreme tricks I use they think I'm crazy.

A lot of people just don't actually care about their hair enough to commit and damaging their hair with chemical processes and straightening and blow frying is too difficult for them to quit I takes a special kind of person to maintain a solid hair routine. Proper hair care is too time consuming and too much work for most people.

I agree though, I like having nicer hair than the average person, which is completely due to the things LHC taught me :)

WinterButterfly
September 3rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
I would hope to see less fried damaged hair. And maybe there would be a little less hair damage all about. But most people want convienence, not long healthy hair. Most people want whatever is in fashion, not what is best in the long run. Most want a quick fix. So I don't think that the knowlwdge would do a lot for 85&#37; of people.
But I will share hair knowledge with anyone who will listen to me. I would love to see more healthy hair in the world.

tolly
September 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't mind more women knowing better, a year ago when I first got to know hair forums, I couldn't shut up about hair. some people made fun of me, others told me it's just hair, another friend expected me to give her all the information she needed without checking the sites I recommended including calling me from the supermarket to ask what shampoo to buy... I got fed up. These days I don't say anything, my hair is still pretty short so no one suspects I am obsessed with hair.