PDA

View Full Version : Calling all hairdressers (and everyone else :D )

ChatNoir
September 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
Okay, so I really, really feel like dying my hair again. I'm thinking about going grey (yes grey), and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Wella Color Touch? You can get them at the salon and it's not too expencive...

My question is whether or not I should go through with this. I've had a massive shed over a long period of time, and I have a lot of new hair popping up here and there. I don't want to ruin this turn for the good by dying it... Any thoughts? :cheese:

(Oh, and I've thought about this for at least 5 months now... O.o)

heartgoesboom
September 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM
maybe use a deposit only dye? since you just want to color in grays

florenonite
September 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM
If you're going grey, does that mean you're going to have to bleach first? The damage from that would be my main concern. The Wella Colour Touch is, I believe, a semi-permanent (which I think is deposit-only, though I could be confusing it with demi-permanent), so it shouldn't be too damaging if you're careful.

Zenity
September 1st, 2011, 11:39 AM
That's the only brand I had use since getting my first grays.

I am dyeing at home as at my country you can buy this from specific places not only for pros, and I can get it online at a very reasonable price.

Wella color touch with intensive emulsion (4% or 13 vol peroxide) covers perfectly my grays. No ammonia, and very gentle with my hair.

I only do root touch ups to not overlap dye and damage mediums or ends.

That's the closest I could get to have hair that feels like hair using artificial dyes.

My natural color is a dark brown, so I've been using levels from 2 to a mix of 6 + 7 at the present moment.

My advice if you want to use it is to go a shade lighter than your actual desired color. As this will stay pretty much forever... If you go darker will be difficult to remove, while if you go lighter you can always adjust it later on.

Besides the swap chart of CT begins at 2. Hence 2 = to 1 and so on... so if you want a 6 you should get a 7. All the people who uses it agrees that they are rather darker than the actual level they are meant.

Also depending on how light you go it might show a little your grays after few washes.

When using levels 3 to 5 never had that issue. Now that I am at 6 1/2 I can notice just before the new root touch up that grays look like highlites. However when I re-dye my roots a minimum amount is overlapped and that fixes the intensity of the color adding extra pigment and covering it 100% to not show again.

Not sure if I want to keep this level right now. Not because of the level, but because of the unwanted warmth that I dislike. I might go for elumen and experiment for a bit or else go to a secure level 5 on CT wich has always worked great for me.

If you want to see few examples of my hair done with CT here you have some links with pics over the years to see what I mean about the quality of hair, health and shine (just roots in all of them, used over highlitghts, as toner etc):

http://estiloybelleza.es/foro/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8312&start=9

http://estiloybelleza.es/foro/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11751&sid=3613b45ba530e5b6acaf17a151a6f5d4

At this one, i fixed my color with CT to go a little bit darker and it stayed forever! I did honey lightening just to slightly get it lighter...
http://www.estiloybelleza.es/foro/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11697&view=next

In most of the pics my hair is air dry, not using any styling tools or so. Just showing the waves of my bun or some oils on it.

Sorry its in spanish, but to see the hair is just fine.

I hope you like it if you get to try it!

Good luck.

ChatNoir
September 1st, 2011, 11:53 AM
If you're going grey, does that mean you're going to have to bleach first? The damage from that would be my main concern. The Wella Colour Touch is, I believe, a semi-permanent (which I think is deposit-only, though I could be confusing it with demi-permanent), so it shouldn't be too damaging if you're careful.

I won't bleach, no. I'm not going to go silver, so that's not really an option for me as I want dark grey /steel grey hair :)
I don't think so either, but just wanted to ask! :D

ChatNoir
September 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
That's the only brand I had use since getting my first grays.

I am dyeing at home as at my country you can buy this from specific places not only for pros, and I can get it online at a very reasonable price.

Wella color touch with intensive emulsion (4% or 13 vol peroxide) covers perfectly my grays. No ammonia, and very gentle with my hair.

I only do root touch ups to not overlap dye and damage mediums or ends.

That's the closest I could get to have hair that feels like hair using artificial dyes.

My natural color is a dark brown, so I've been using levels from 2 to a mix of 6 + 7 at the present moment.

My advice if you want to use it is to go a shade lighter than your actual desired color. As this will stay pretty much forever... If you go darker will be difficult to remove, while if you go lighter you can always adjust it later on.

Besides the swap chart of CT begins at 2. Hence 2 = to 1 and so on... so if you want a 6 you should get a 7. All the people who uses it agrees that they are rather darker than the actual level they are meant.

Also depending on how light you go it might show a little your grays after few washes.

When using levels 3 to 5 never had that issue. Now that I am at 6 1/2 I can notice just before the new root touch up that grays look like highlites. However when I re-dye my roots a minimum amount is overlapped and that fixes the intensity of the color adding extra pigment and covering it 100% to not show again.

Not sure if I want to keep this level right now. Not because of the level, but because of the unwanted warmth that I dislike. I might go for elumen and experiment for a bit or else go to a secure level 5 on CT wich has always worked great for me.

If you want to see few examples of my hair done with CT here you have some links with pics over the years to see what I mean about the quality of hair, health and shine (just roots in all of them, used over highlitghts, as toner etc):

http://estiloybelleza.es/foro/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8312&start=9

http://estiloybelleza.es/foro/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11751&sid=3613b45ba530e5b6acaf17a151a6f5d4

At this one, i fixed my color with CT to go a little bit darker and it stayed forever! I did honey lightening just to slightly get it lighter...
http://www.estiloybelleza.es/foro/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11697&view=next

In most of the pics my hair is air dry, not using any styling tools or so. Just showing the waves of my bun or some oils on it.

Sorry its in spanish, but to see the hair is just fine.

I hope you like it if you get to try it!

Good luck.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I feel encouraged! :cheese:

ChatNoir
September 1st, 2011, 11:56 AM
maybe use a deposit only dye? since you just want to color in grays

I thought Wella color touch was deposit only? O.o

oktobergoud
September 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM
I see you have brown/dark blonde hair.. there's no way you're going to get that hair grey without bleach! :x I have had platinum (and greyish) hair for many times and trust me, your hair will only get grey if your hair is very light underneath. Even if you want a dark grey, it still needs to be lightblonde, I think!

When I bleached my hair platinum, I had to use blue toners to get rid of the brassiness. And even then only the lightest parts only went greyish, the darker, more yellow parts stayed yellow.

So dyeing hair grey is a tricky thing, I think! But that's just my experience, maybe there is another way :)

I see some people think you want to COVER your grey.. am I wrong now? Because I thought you want to dye your hair grey?

Zenity
September 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM
Nope, CT is a demi-permanent dye.

Whatever that uses developer (peroxide) is considered a traditional dye. There are several degrees of them depending on how much they penetrate the hair shaft or long they stay in your hair.
Permanent dyes use higher volumes of peroxide and ammonia, while demi use lower vol. of peroxide and no ammonia.

Most of them change the color of your hair permanently despite fading or losing intensity over time. They will give you the grown out root effect unless they match you own color perfectly.
I know many women out there complaining about how a demi changed their color permanently when it was supposed to leave their hair and fade away. Wrong. The pigments can fade but the peroxide oxides your hair shaft by lifting the cuticle. If you apply straight peroxide to your hair it will surely lighten your color even the tiniest bit.

The deposit only dyes are the ones you apply straight from the bottle, no required developer or mixing with anything else to penetrate your hair shaft. Usually they staty on the surface of the hair cuticle, hence they fade and vanish faster but do not damage hair as much as traditional hair dyes.

My opinion is that you should educate yourself before taking the wrong choice and regretting it.

Every hair is different. Despite I like CT, have used it and recommend it, your hair may respond different than mine to the same product, or, your taste could be different than mine regarding hair.

Read and ask as much as you need and keep in mind that if you go for a demi or semi permanent dye as CT you should test it on a hidden area first to see how your hair likes it or not.

Best luck!

Zenity
September 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM
oktobergoud is totally right! I thought you wanted to make your hair darker or to dye your greys matching your tone.

Nope, there isn't a way to get your hair silver or grey without being lighter, that means lifting the color by bleaching it. I wouldn't do that at all. I is very agressive for your hair and you may not like the results...

Siaraven
September 1st, 2011, 03:25 PM
My mum is a hairdresser, and she used wella magma on my hair when I was going through wanting blonde hair stage. Its a tint on tint dye and was really gentle on my hair without it having to be bleached first. Maybe you should take a look into that ? It can be ordered online too :)

My experience with colour touch is good, whilst using dye on my hair it was definately the shiniest its been!