PDA

View Full Version : I thought we could all use a good hair cut story for a change!

archel
September 1st, 2011, 09:54 AM
So, I went today to get a trim and to have bangs cut into my hair and the stylist did EXACTLY what I was wanting! She took 1/4 inch only off my ends and the bangs are really great for my face shape. Just goes to show, taking in pictures and being VERY adamant about not losing length will sometimes (sometimes!) get you what you want. AND they do complimentary bang trims in between full hair cuts - win win!

Here ya go, photos:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/313604_10150359833925631_512320630_10510107_740856 0_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305082_10150359833300631_512320630_10510104_159831 5_n.jpg

I am thrilled and very extra thrilled at not having to trim them myself!

MsPretty31
September 1st, 2011, 09:59 AM
YAY! :-)
Beautiful hair! Im happy your stylist listened to you! Woohoo! :-)
You look great!

archel
September 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM
Thank you so much! It's going to look so much better with updos - I'll get an updo pic tomorrow, but I'm wearing it down today for a change since she did the rare blow out (I will not dry my length with a blow fryer, but I will dry my bangs).

Mairéad
September 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
Yay, good hair cut story! Lookin' good! I've had my fair share of problems with hair dressers but I've actually had more good experiences than bad ones. It was really only one hair dresser I had that would start doing "extra things" because she thought it would make my hair look better and translate "trim" into, "Trim and multiple layers."

You really just have to walk in and say, "No layers, no bangs, only *insert measurement* off the ends," and SHOW them what you think that length is.

The reason I'm still nervous about getting a trim is because I still have some old layers and jazz from my pixie cut and I don't know how to go about getting my hair trimmed. Do you just trim the bottom up and leave the layers alone? That's the part I feel like I could get lost in translation to a hair stylist. But, my hair isn't anywhere near split yet so I figure if it can wait until I reach the chin/collarbone mile stone, it would be best.

UltraBella
September 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM
It looks really beautiful !!!! Thank you for posting a positive experience, it's refreshing :)

spidermom
September 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM
And here's another - my granddaughter had a haircut yesterday. The stylist showed her on the comb "this is 1 inch, this is 2 inches" and let my granddaughter choose exactly how much length she wanted trimmed away (she chose 1-1/2 inch).

Her hair looked GORGEOUS.

heartgoesboom
September 1st, 2011, 10:54 AM
my good hair cut story is my last trim - my stylist has was it long hair so all i had to say is i want your hair. lol, she cut off like half an inch to an inch and told me we'll cut more when my hair grows in a few. :)

dRummie
September 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM
Great to hear! I'm going to add to this. I had a haircut about a month ago, I told her I was growing it out and wanted to keep as much length as possible, and tried to explain that I wanted layers to make it look more oval and less triangular. She cut off the bare minimum (about 3/4", I hadn't trimmed in a year, so that was necessary), cut the layers exactly how I wanted despite my inarticulate explanation, and made the shortest layers no shorter than what I'd shown her (chin length).
There was no styling involved, and I still turned heads on the way out of the salon (I imagine equally due to being happy about the cut).

Your bangs look fantastic, btw! :)

luxepiggy
September 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Congratulations on a successful cut! It looks great! (^(oo)^)

archel
September 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM
Here it is up - pardon the no makeup and terrible allergy face!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305886_10150359958425631_512320630_10511211_102882 9_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/303667_10150359959055631_512320630_10511212_146481 3_n.jpg

This is a huge improvement over having it all slicked back and looking like I have a moon pie face! :)

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM
Glad to hear it went well! Like how they look when you let the rest down.

Cassie 123
September 1st, 2011, 02:15 PM
Is it crazy that I scarcely know you and the first thing I thought as I logged on today was, "I wonder how Archel's haircut went?" lol

It looks great! It is nice to hear a haircut success story at last. :cheese:

Alvrodul
September 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Your hair looks great! And it is good to be reminded that not all hairdressers are scissors-happy creeps, but actually listens to their customer and does as she asks! :D

archel
September 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM
Cassie_123, that's probably because you could sense I was a nervous wreck! But I love my salon so yeah...they give me hot coffee and are so friendly and nice.

They did use hairspray, so I guess I'm gonna clarify and do an SMT next time I wash! :-P

spitfire511
September 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
Just thought I'd throw in another 'love the bangs!' post. :) They really look great - and I love the updo.

Agreed that it's so nice to hear that someone had a good experience!

MychelleC
September 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
Cute! It looks great, and very versatile.

InTheCity
September 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
I love it! Thanks for sharing. You're right, the updos look great.

bratz81
September 2nd, 2011, 04:40 AM
I'm only new and don't really know you but had to say your fringe looks great, suits you :) and you hair looks so shiney and soft too!

I got a trim about...10 days ago now for the first time in 10months. It really needed it but I was terrified she'd take off too much like the last person did (butcher :( ) but she took off only what I asked, and did the same with the layers (trying to grow them out too) so I'm definitely going back for trims there!

Arashi
September 2nd, 2011, 05:07 AM
How lovely! I especially like how your bangs turned out- a really pretty, flattering look. I recently had super-thick bangs that I've been converting into a style similar to that one. I hope it'll turn out as well as yours did. :)

noelgirl
September 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Adorable! I love your bangs!

archel
September 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks everyone! It took about 1.5 minutes to blow them out this morning with a round boar bristle brush on low/cool. Not bad! I did learn one thing though - if I air dry the "wispies" around my face, even though the rest of my hair is barely wavy because of the length, these pieces curl up and stick out and look crazy! Gonna have to get a mini flat iron. It's ok since those parts will keep getting trimmed off.

kidari
September 3rd, 2011, 11:39 PM
So nice to hear a positive hair-cutting experience and your new bangs look particularly amazing when you have your hair up!

WinterButterfly
September 4th, 2011, 02:43 AM
It is good to hear positive comments about styalists. I haven't gone to that many, but I haven't had very many good experiences. But I do remember when I was a teen, the styalist I went to told me not to brush my hair when wet. My mom always brushed it wet when I was a kid, so I thought it was normal. It was good to learn that doing so caused damage. And that styalist looked just like the I can't believe its not butter guy.

Shany
September 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I haven't had any negative haircut experience since 2006. I've been growing out my hair since 2009 and going to the same hairstylist since then. I ask for a half an inch trim to get 1 inch cut off and I'm very happy with that.

MiamiPineapple
September 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I really love the bangs and color. Your hair looks really healthy! Thank you for sharing!

MiamiPineapple
September 4th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I haven't had any negative haircut experience since 2006. I've been growing out my hair since 2009 and going to the same hairstylist since then. I ask for a half an inch trim to get 1 inch cut off and I'm very happy with that.
This is a great idea!

archel
September 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks! I am trying to baby it!