PDA

View Full Version : Best way to air-dry?

Dogbones
September 1st, 2011, 08:33 AM
is it best to drip dry? Shake head to rid most of the moisture? Or to wrap hair in a towel? I want to be frizz-free

Capybara
September 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM
Welcome to LHC!

You have straight hair, so I'd suggest detangling gently with your fingers, then leaving it be.

When I air dry my hair, I twist it to make the slight wave pattern more uniform. (like I make a sort of roll of hair over my shoulder.) This helps tame frizz and flyways IMO :)

Becky Safari
September 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
The most I do it run my fingers through it as it dries, or put it into a braid or bun and sleep on it.

SpinDance
September 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM
I put a smooth piece of cloth/towel under my hair to catch drips, sometimes wrapping the front edges around to the top, sometimes just clipping or tying it in front like a cape. This is to absorb the water and catch drips. After this has been on for a couple minutes I'll replace it with another one. I use either flour sack cloth towels or linen. Linen is smoother and absorbs better. I made mine out of an extra piece of handkerchief linen using a rolled hem. I don't wrap the toweling around my hair and put it on top of my head any more, just let it lay on the towel.

rowie
September 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
My straight hair friends would grab their hair into a ponytail and then gently shake excess water. Then d-tangle with a wide tooth wooden comb or use fingers. Good luck!

rowie
September 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
The most I do it run my fingers through it as it dries, or put it into a braid or bun and sleep on it.

Is it bad to braid or bun wet hair and then sleep on it?:confused:

Thanks!

racrane
September 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM
It's not bad to sleep on wet braided hair. I do this all the time. I've discovered my hair somehow likes being wet. I usually shower at night (even if I don't shampoo, I like wetting my hair) and then braid. It works great for me. Keeps the frizzies away.

Zesty
September 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM
My hair hates being wet (it's frizzy and unmanageable until it's fully dry, when it becomes shiny and soft! go figure) so I try to speed up the process as much as possible. I squeeze out the excess water from the length, then wrap it in a towel (with the towel draped over my head and hanging down my back). After about five minutes -- or however long it takes for me to get dressed -- I take the towel and wrap it around my shoulders like a cape to catch drips until it dries a bit more. I use my fingers to gently separate the tentacles of wet hair and to detangle until it's mostly dry, and then I just let it be. I have problems with the back of my head getting dry, so sometimes I make a point to separate my hair into two and bring it over my shoulders so that that area gets air.

headtrip_honey
September 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM
It's not bad to sleep on wet braided hair. I do this all the time. I've discovered my hair somehow likes being wet. I usually shower at night (even if I don't shampoo, I like wetting my hair) and then braid. It works great for me. Keeps the frizzies away.

Ugh. I used to shower at night. Loved the time it saved me in the mornings. I'd wash my hair, drip dry it until NOT sopping wet, and just go to sleep. I'd wake up with it still slightly damp, so I was able to comb it into something presentable looking.

But ever since moving in with my fiance, the extra body in the bed makes me get hot at night and sometimes I wake up sweaty. Ick. So I have to shower in the morning.

blue_nant
September 3rd, 2011, 04:29 AM

Absolute and total ditto. I shower, bun in a microfiber towel for a few minutes to get the excess water out. While it's still wet, I oil the bottom half of my hair, air dry 1/2 hour ... or whatever, and braid and sleep!

Been doing it for years! The photo is from this wash cycle, right after I oiled it and let it dry just a tad.

mallorykay13
September 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
My hair actually hates being messed with when it's wet. Its so fragile and snappy (if that makes sense). I usually just get out of the shower, put a towel on my back and let it hang there until it dries. I dont touch it, detangle it or do anything when it is wet.

PurusNox
September 3rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
I normally just dab it with a towel and then wait till it dries enough to comb with a wide toothed comb then wait until it dries fully. I can't wait until it's long enough to braid when it's wet! :D

mallorykay13
September 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
My hair tends to keep braid waves for a really long time even if it is braided dry, so I just don't mess with it when it's wet. Its too fragile.

Macaroni
September 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
I wrap an inexpensive towel around my hair for about 20 minutes, take it off and let my hair fall where it may.

I let it dry as is until 95% dry then tip my head upside down in front of a small fan or use a blowdryer set on cool. Five minutes and it's totally dry.

While my head is dry and tipped upside down, I comb it gently with a wide toothed comb. I sit up straight and it's done.

YepLilly
September 3rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
I guess there's no best way and it all depends on hair types and personal preferences, but this is what I do: I towel dry for a few minutes, comb it and apply leave-in. I let it air dry down for a little while (to speed up the drying process). Then, I put it up in a cinnabun or twirl it as it dries, or both. Sometimes I go to sleep while it is still a bit wet. HTH :)