PDA

View Full Version : Hair doesn't grow - 2 inches in a year?

Dogbones
September 1st, 2011, 06:47 AM
Hi my hair just doesn't seem to grow at all. I take natures plus multivitamins, wash hair once every 2 weeks with vinegar and distilled water, Sleep on satin pillowcases etc, finger-comb and use a boar bristle brush. I don't produce much sebum i've noticed and my ends never seem to get coated...Last year my hair was cut to the bottom of my ear and now a year later its 2 inches below my ear...I'm a healthy person but i've noticed that when I run my fingers through my hair sometimes 2-3 strands come out and that worries me, any advice?

katienoonan
September 1st, 2011, 06:49 AM
My only advice would be scalp massages with a little olive oil and upping the protein in your diet... And pamper yourself a little... this all seems a little clinical, growing your hair is meant to be fun!

Dogbones
September 1st, 2011, 06:51 AM
My only advice would be scalp massages with a little olive oil and upping the protein in your diet... And pamper yourself a little... this all seems a little clinical, growing your hair is meant to be fun!

Yes, I know, i just can't figure out the lack of growth, im vegetarian

archel
September 1st, 2011, 07:02 AM
You mention you're vegetarian. There are several factors there that could play into your hair growing slow, the #1 factor being a lack of protein. Vegetarians are notorious for not getting enough protein in their diet, heck I eat meat sometimes and I still don't get enough protein. The other thing is that if you eat a ton of processed soy as some vegetarians do, it could be screwing around with your hormone levels as processed soy is estrogenic (and an endocrine disruptor). You might want to try increasing your nuts and legumes and other proteins and taking an Omega 3-6-9 supplement.

I agree with the other poster, though, growing your hair is supposed to be fun. Don't sweat it! All hair grows differently. :)

mrs_coffee
September 1st, 2011, 07:20 AM
Yes, I know, i just can't figure out the lack of growth, im vegetarian

Do you eat eggs? If you do they're an excellent source of nutrients and healthy fats, which you also need plenty of. Avocado, coconut oil, and almond butter are some of my favorite foods for obtaining healthy fats. It sounds like you take good care of your hair, so I'd look at diet next.

archel
September 1st, 2011, 07:23 AM
All good suggestions! Also, olive oil isn't just for deep treatments :)

lapushka
September 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Did you have it trimmed regularly or at all during that year?

Revontuletar
September 1st, 2011, 08:06 AM
I've had the same problem! My hair has only grown about two inches since February. I'm thinking that perhaps it is because I have had a lot of splits and have done a lot of S&D trims. I have not fully trimmed it though. I'm hoping that's the only reason and I don't have some other problem I don't know about.

celebriangel
September 1st, 2011, 10:03 AM
Sometimes people find their growth slows down when they don't wash their hair much because they're not stimulating the follicles by massaging - up your protein, take supplements if you need to (protein ones I mean - spirulina maybe), and do nightly scalp massages.

As for the strands coming out, that sounds like normal daily shedding to me :)

rowie
September 1st, 2011, 10:42 AM
I agree with celebriangel, maybe you can try adding 1 more wash day to your routine. Maybe you are not getting enough protein? If you are an ovo-lacto vegetarian then I would eat more products that have eggs. Try eating more natural nuts, almonds, peanuts, etc. I would also use some coconut oil while massaging your scalp to get some conditioning. Best of luck!

YepLilly
September 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm a healthy person but i've noticed that when I run my fingers through my hair sometimes 2-3 strands come out and that worries me, any advice?

I see you have fine hair, maybe your hair needs protein? Have you done the strand test or something similar? If your hair feels weak, limp, fluffy, fragile, etc. you can try a good protein treatment. HTH :)