PDA

View Full Version : Why does my hair make these weird tube curls?

JulietCapulet
September 1st, 2011, 03:45 AM
Hello,

If I let my hair dry naturally, it dries into these sort of tube curls. They are thin and long. I'm not sure I like them. But I was wondering if any of you know if there is another specific name for these curls or if anyone knows anything about this type of curl? I have never seen them on anyone else.

Thank you for your help! :):):)

http://i.imgur.com/ouR6r.jpg (http://imgur.com/ouR6r)

sarahramen
September 1st, 2011, 03:58 AM
hmm it kind of looks like when i twist my hair when its wet, they are very pretty. if you dont like them quite so formed maybe try finger combing bit?

maria_asa
September 1st, 2011, 04:05 AM
I don't know what they are called but they are very pretty.

pepperminttea
September 1st, 2011, 04:36 AM
I think they're called sausage curls? :)

julliams
September 1st, 2011, 04:39 AM
Isn't that a ringlet? That's my understanding anyway.

Dragon
September 1st, 2011, 04:46 AM
I'm not sure what they are called but I get them sometimes to.

Revontuletar
September 1st, 2011, 04:49 AM
They are called ringlets, if I am not mistaken, and I love them! I love my straight hair too, but if ever I wanted to swap it for anything else, I would pick ringlets. You are lucky!

katienoonan
September 1st, 2011, 04:57 AM
They are Beautiful! x

JulietCapulet
September 1st, 2011, 05:13 AM
Thank you guys :-) I looked up sausage curls and ringlets and they both seem to be similar to this. Lol. It looks kind of victorian no?

I found this link, they look a lot like this:
http://yesterhair.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/mary-pickfords-ringlet-curls/

Revontuletar
September 1st, 2011, 05:27 AM
Thank you guys :-) I looked up sausage curls and ringlets and they both seem to be similar to this. Lol. It looks kind of victorian no?

Yes, exactly like that! "Way back when" girls used to sleep with their hair wrapped around rags (really uncomfortable!) so they would wake up with ringlets in the morning. My grandmother used to make my mum do that when she was little in the 50's and she hated it and couldn't sleep!

CurlyMopTop
September 1st, 2011, 05:31 AM
I get a few of those too. They always form in the same place and make me look like I have a tail in the back instead of a c shaped hemline. They always form about an inch back behind both of my ears in the underlayers along the bottem. Because of the shrinkage, you can't see them unless I pick up the curls that lay on top of them first. There's usually 2 or 3 on both sides, then the hair in between are ringlets, but they are bigger and much looser, therefore showing more length. :)

JulietCapulet
September 1st, 2011, 05:39 AM
Yes, exactly like that! "Way back when" girls used to sleep with their hair wrapped around rags (really uncomfortable!) so they would wake up with ringlets in the morning. My grandmother used to make my mum do that when she was little in the 50's and she hated it and couldn't sleep!

Wow! I guess they must have really liked these curls. I never seen anyone else around with them in real life and actually thought there might be something wrong with my hair. Thank you for all your help!:-D

missdelarocha
September 1st, 2011, 06:04 AM
That's pretty cool, had you combed/brushed/finger combed at all here?

Revontuletar
September 1st, 2011, 06:23 AM
Wow! I guess they must have really liked these curls. I never seen anyone else around with them in real life and actually thought there might be something wrong with my hair. Thank you for all your help!:-D

That's ok :D There's definitely nothing wrong with your hair. Pre-LHC I had one of those evil curling tongs and occasionally, when I had a lot of time on my hands and felt like it, I would curl my hair into ringlets. I didn't do it often because it kind of sizzled my hair and took a long time to do. I think they are the prettiest type of curls. You should embrace them! :cheese:

Dogbones
September 1st, 2011, 06:35 AM
Rob Zombie dreads

Dorothy
September 1st, 2011, 07:13 AM
It makes them because you are lucky! My partner has this same thing going on. They make a fabulous gibson tuck. If you want something different going on, braidwaves give her this very organized rippled look. She just does two braids just behind her ears. She does that for practical reasons, but the resulting waves are lovely too. I like it both ways.

racrane
September 1st, 2011, 07:54 AM
Your hair is very pretty. I like curls like that. :)

redcelticcurls
September 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
I think they're called sausage curls? :)

They're sausage curls. Ringlets are more open, like this.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=554&pictureid=5712

You just have clumpy curls. You can finger comb them while wet to break up the clumps before the are formed.

Revontuletar
September 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
They're sausage curls. Ringlets are more open, like this.
Really? I always thought they were spiral curls, and ringlets and sausage curls were the same thing. Oh well.

embee
September 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
I had a school friend who had curly hair. She used to make a low (nape) bun but leave the tail end loose, in ringlets. It was her signature style and it was *gorgeous*. All of us were envious that she could do that, none of us could, even with perms and curlers. ;)

redcelticcurls
September 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Really? I always thought they were spiral curls, and ringlets and sausage curls were the same thing. Oh well.

Every curl could fall under the general category of ringlet, since all curls turn.

But, in specifics, fat curls that are closed or almost closed tubes are sausage curls. Ringlets are open and sometimes thinner, coils are tight (small diameter) and somewhat closed.

At least that's how it plays out on curly hair boards....

Charybdis
September 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM
My DH's ponytail makes sausage curls sometimes too, and I envy them. ;-)

Sheltie_Momma
September 1st, 2011, 08:49 AM
Mine has started to do this the longer it gets - Left alone I have big fat coils. I don't mind.

kittensoupnrice
September 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM
You're lucky! I always called them banana curls myself, instead of sausage curls.
DH has banana curls. Drives me insane with jealousy. I hope DD inherits his curls. :-)

pelicano
September 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
I get this too, but only in one place on one side. Oh for symmetrical hair! :D

Revontuletar
September 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM
Every curl could fall under the general category of ringlet, since all curls turn.

But, in specifics, fat curls that are closed or almost closed tubes are sausage curls. Ringlets are open and sometimes thinner, coils are tight (small diameter) and somewhat closed.

At least that's how it plays out on curly hair boards....

Ahh, ok, I wouldn't have known that since my hair is pin-straight and I have never been on the curly boards :D

Becky Safari
September 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM
Wow you are really lucky to have natural curls like that.

pink.sara
September 1st, 2011, 12:45 PM
Ringlets! (or sausage curls!) Beautiful :)

A friend of mine has what looks like very similar hair, dark smooth thick and full of ringlets (sausage curls). She splits them after they dry to make lots of smaller spiral curls. Very pretty.

mallorykay13
September 1st, 2011, 01:01 PM
They are beautiful

JulietCapulet
September 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Thank you guys!

The dreads and clumpy curls comments, I'm not sure were so great but all the other comments were very nice!:-D Thank you!

gthlvrmx
September 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM
I call them, tubelets!!
I love those long spirals.

Slinks
September 1st, 2011, 02:02 PM
beautiful sausage/ringlet curls !! wear them proudly :-)

Kiwiwi
September 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM
I get these too sometimes!
If you take one of them and 'split it in half' you get two looser curls :-D
I do that sometimes with my curls. Sometimes they are too... thick. I 'split them in half' and I have 2 curls instead of one = fuller hair ^_^
I hope I am making sense ^_^

Lianna
September 1st, 2011, 03:44 PM
My hair does this too, but only at the front, in the underlayer mostly. The top starts wavy and catches up to it (textbook 2c). I don't know why it happens though, I just figured it's a hairtype/texture. I've seen a couple more people around here with hair like this, I remember a blonde girl with 2c hair like this, forgot her name.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/Lianna333/Hair/Hair%20down/Imag3169.jpg
Now you've seen one more. :D

redcelticcurls
September 1st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you guys!

The dreads and clumpy curls comments, I'm not sure were so great but all the other comments were very nice!:-D Thank you!

Clumpy, in curly world, is a good thing. Plenty if curlies try long and hard with various products to achieve clumps. Clumpage is one of the Holy Grails of curldom.

JulietCapulet
September 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Clumpy, in curly world, is a good thing. Plenty if curlies try long and hard with various products to achieve clumps. Clumpage is one of the Holy Grails of curldom.

Thank you:-)

redcelticcurls
September 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Thank you:-)

I keep forgetting that not every curly speaks 'Curlease'. ;)

Lianna
September 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM

It's a matter of preference too, I rather have my curls brushed out because I like to touch it a lot. But piece-y (clumpy) looks nice in a lot of people. I admire them for "not touching" their hair. :)

indiana
September 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM
My son's hair grows in those curls, he looks like Shirley Temple. I never knew there was a name for those curls, but now I do! The are really lovely and I love them! I'm trying to get my son to start a profile on the board and post pics of his hair. He's following the no sulfates, jojoba oil routines and has the BEST hair.

Your curls are awesome. My stick straight hair is so jealous!

Demetrue
September 1st, 2011, 08:56 PM
I used to call them banana curls, and took a lot of time and effort trying to get my wavy hair to emulate them. Rags and bobby pins were often involved and sometimes foam curlers or a curling iron. That is wonderful that your hair forms these beautiful curls naturally!

JulietCapulet
October 4th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses...I was feeling a bit alone with my unusual curls. haha.

Lucie159
October 4th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I have two cousins, one a year older and one a year younger, so we were kinda forced to hang together at family events and even at times dress alike, I have naturally curly hair, similar to the Shirley Temple kind, and both of them had stick straight hair. Their mother used to make them sit through hours of perms trying to get curls, which just turned to frizz (giggle) I appreciate my hair more now then I did back then. Embrace your curl sweetie. They and you are beautiful!

Vanilla
October 4th, 2011, 06:26 PM
You're lucky! I always called them banana curls myself, instead of sausage curls.
DH has banana curls. Drives me insane with jealousy. I hope DD inherits his curls. :-)

I call them banana curls too! When I was little, my mom used to use foam rollers on my wet hair to create these. So pretty!

MrsGuther
October 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure what they are called but I get them sometimes to.

This^. I would call them ringlets, but I'm not sure if that is the correct term for them. I get them if I don't mess with my hair while it is drying. Your hair is really pretty by the way!

Noreth
October 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM

So that's what they're called! I have a plethora of teeny, tiny ones scattered across my 3c hair, so I just upped it to 4a. I'll be changing that now...:D I'd love to have big ones like yours, so pretty!

amantha
October 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
When my grandma was young...she had hair like yours but it was very blonde. She referred to her curls as "frankfurt curls." The image that that phrase put into my head always made me giggle. I would imagine her with a giant mane of hot dogs! :p