PDA

View Full Version : I have the best hair of my life tonight

dRummie
September 1st, 2011, 01:20 AM
... and of course I'm about to go to sleep :rolleyes: :p

Today I washed my hair, let it air dry, then put it in a bun for the evening. Nothing special. Then before bed I took it down to redo it into braids, and what came out was nothing less than my dream hair!
Seriously.. normally I have lots of frizz (well, lots for a 2c) or it's pretty limp, or both (yay). I get tons of flyaways, and I've always wished for, but never had, the kind of hair that looks heavy without looking weighed down. You know - healthy heavy.

Tonight.. there's not a strand out of place, it looks like the hairs are keeping themselves in order through their sheer weight, it moves like a dream, and after bunning for several hours I have more root volume than I've ever had.

I know the root volume is from SLS-free shampoo, but the rest... My best guess is it's due to a combination of low-poo and combing it thoroughly before washing, the latter something I tried for the first time today. Deeefffinitely doing that again.

So uh.. thank you, LHC :bigeyes:

Naturally, this post would not be complete without pictures, though they really don't do justice to the difference:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/increment_petz/IMG_2405_small_ed.jpg
Hair typing pic. It's really hard to see, but there's a fine halo of frizz around everything. You can sort of pick it out around the edges.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/increment_petz/sept1_2011.jpg
Tonight. Again, hard to see, but no frizz. And it's sooo bendy :crush:

And finally, can you believe it looked like this pre-LHC? It looks like I've lost half my thickness:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/increment_petz/IMG_2045_1.jpg

I'll call this my 1.5 month anniversary post :cheese:

Megz
September 1st, 2011, 01:28 AM
Congrats! Your hair definitely looks wonderful, thick, lush and healthy. Definitely something for me to aspire to.

Ishje
September 1st, 2011, 01:45 AM
it really does look great! maybe you can do it again ^^

ssjhotau2
September 1st, 2011, 01:46 AM
Wow you're hair really does look beautiful. What kind of bun did you have it in if I may ask?

celebriangel
September 1st, 2011, 02:16 AM
Damp bunning is a *great* anti-frizz tactic, because it slows down drying time and makes your hair retain more moisture. I always damp bun, rather than air-dry curly, because my curls come back and the lack of frizz/softness I get is worth messing up the curl pattern.

BunnyBee
September 1st, 2011, 02:29 AM
Your hair looks beautiful in both pictures ^_^

McFearless
September 1st, 2011, 02:43 AM
You are being way too hard on yourself! Your hair looks gorgeous in both pics. You have like 2 fly aways and absolutely do not have limp hair. :)

Dragon
September 1st, 2011, 02:54 AM
I like both pictures. I agree you are being way too hard on yourself.

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the post. It is really pretty.

Signe
September 1st, 2011, 05:39 AM
I like the hairtyping pic....oooosht those big sexy curls!!!
All the pics look awesome to me!

julliams
September 1st, 2011, 05:42 AM
Can I say that I LOVE your hairtyping pic? I don't see any frizz there - I see bouncy wurly hair. Your dream hair is lovely too and I'm so happy for you that you got to see it and photograph it (but I'm really loving the first pic)

Dogbones
September 1st, 2011, 06:40 AM
I always use a towel to soak up most of the moisture before I let mine air-dry...would it be better if I just let it all airdry without the towel at all then bun it? Looks amazing

AlexiaBlue
September 1st, 2011, 07:06 AM
I would have to agree! Your hair looks fabulous in both pictures. :)

embee
September 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Lovely hair! You're right, the dream pic is "Better" but not by much. :)

... funny how the best hair seems to show up at bedtime.... it's like that for me with any new updo I'm testing. Works well at bedtime... sucks in the morning.

spidermom
September 1st, 2011, 08:57 AM
Pretty! I like your hair typing picture the best.

dRummie
September 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Oh wow, thanks so much for these responses, everyone! :)

To those who are saying I'm being too hard on the hair typing picture, I actually agree that it's not a good example of "bad" hair (I really do like it myself!), but it was not until I made this post that I realized I probably should be taking pictures of bad hair days as well, lol :p I was just so astounded that I had much less frizz than normal, even compared to otherwise "good" hair.

Again, thank you all so much! Most of my life I've thought I had been shortchanged by the hair fairy, until I came here and learned that all hair types can look healthy and beautiful, so it's truly wonderful to hear compliments :)

What kind of bun did you have it in if I may ask?I was just a regular low cinnamon bun. That's all I've been able to do at my length.

Damp bunning is a *great* anti-frizz tactic, because it slows down drying time and makes your hair retain more moisture. I always damp bun, rather than air-dry curly, because my curls come back and the lack of frizz/softness I get is worth messing up the curl pattern.It works a little too well for me.. My hair already requires about 6 hours to air dry, and the one time I tried damp bunning it was still damp 12 hours later. And winter is coming... shudder: lol

I always use a towel to soak up most of the moisture before I let mine air-dry...would it be better if I just let it all airdry without the towel at all then bun it?We have different hair types, so take this with a grain of salt, but sucking up a lot of moisture with t-shirts (not terrycloth towels) before air drying does reduce frizz for me. Actually, what works best is drying in a hair net. Even drying overnight in one, I get 0 frizz. In fact, I get hair so silky it won't stay up. But hair nets give me funky waves, so I don't do this anymore.
Letting it dry completely and then bunning is what I did this time, and it seems to have worked, but it hasn't in the past :p

InTheCity
September 1st, 2011, 07:18 PM
Don't you hate, love, hate when this happens?

Having a picture means you can enjoy that look again later - and do enjoy because your hair is absolutely gorgeous!

virgo75
September 1st, 2011, 09:23 PM
Pretty! I like your hair typing picture the best.

2nd this.
All of your hair pics are pretty but the hairtyping one is my fave as well. :)

redcelticcurls
September 1st, 2011, 09:33 PM
As nice as they all look, I like the first one the best. It had the most life and vitality.

kidari
September 1st, 2011, 10:50 PM
Wow! It looks like perfect shampoo commercial hair. I'm so glad this post came with pictures by the way! I hate when that happens though: perfect hair when you're about to go to sleep and bad hair when you need to go somewhere special. This always happens to me, ugh.

CurlyNaomi
September 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM
Wow your hair is so shiny! Hair envy :*

kanaka
September 2nd, 2011, 02:00 AM
All the pics are awesome and i love your curls :)

dRummie
September 2nd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Thank you, everyone :)

dragonchickx
September 2nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Oh I love the movement of your hair in the second pic!

julliams
September 2nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Actually, what works best is drying in a hair net. Even drying overnight in one, I get 0 frizz. In fact, I get hair so silky it won't stay up. But hair nets give me funky waves, so I don't do this anymore.

OMG I used to do this very thing when I was about 15. I actually liked the wacky waves I got and I always was amazed at how I had no frizz whatsoever. I must try it again someday (maybe when hubby is away lol)

SusanSt
September 3rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/increment_petz/sept1_2011.jpg

Beautiful hair! Happy 1.5 month anniversary! I'm going to try the damp bun method and see if it helps me.