PDA

View Full Version : Avocado recipes

AntiHairSlave
March 13th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I finally went and purchased an avocado and now I have no clue what to do with it. Please post a recipe using avocado. Thanks

Patrycja
March 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM
now this is something I can actually help out with..

I use:
1 avacado gutted out
1 egg
1/2 coconut oil
1 regular container of plain yogart
a tablespoon of honey

I have tried a half of banana in this,but didn't make much difference

mix all together,it will be not the best smelling mixer in the world,put on dry hair and cover with plastic baggy.
I leave mine on for an hour or more,as long as I can stand it because it does leak some.
I did a CWC with this with diluted sauve toasted vanilla and sugar poo.My first C was Strawberry(cone)and my last was Sauve Fresh Berry Smoothie(non-cone)
I don't think the conditioners had a big part of it,that was my routine the last time I did this recipe.
after rinsing and gentle towel dry,I oiled ends with jojoba.

good luck,and remember my hair type is probably different from yours and I have a history of dying my hair.So,it is much dryer that usual.

andrea1982
March 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I make concoctions using avocado all the time. I like mixing avodaco and banana, then adding everything else in my kitchen that might be good for hair. :p The pre shampoo treatment sitting in my fridge right now contains:

1 avocado
1 banana
2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
splash of vitamin e oil (preservative)
1/4 tsp citiric acid (preservative)
one package coconut cream powder
splash of glycerine and rosewater.

It worked quite nicely, but took two sudsings to get out.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 01:17 AM
i did an avo and honey mask once....didn't make my hair fabulous....just chimeing in :)

Tapioca
March 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry, but avocados are so yummy, that the only recipe I can think of is:

Peel and slice
Sprinkle with salt
Eat!

Anlbe
March 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I'm with Tapioca, I can't imagine not eating the avocado, just too yummy

biggeorge
March 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Peel and slice
Sprinkle with salt
Eat!

That's my first choice!

Another is to mash up with a fork, mix in some salsa and lime juice, and stir. Instant guacamole!

suicides_eve
March 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
i did an avo and honey mask once....didn't make my hair fabulous....just chiming in :)
I agree i did this as a last ditch atemp to bring some life back to my hair after it was fried by bleach and all i got was a heavy greasy mess. For those who have used it and it works congrats i have semi-fine hair maybe it was the problem?

lavenderblue
March 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
In a mixer with half a onion, bit of seasalt, a bit of pepper, a squeeze of lemon/lime a pinch of cayenne and then add some chopped tomatos and bunch onions ( of course don't put this in your hair :p)

Islandgrrl
March 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
Toast 1/2 an onion bagel. Spread with a little mayo. Mash 1/2 the avocado & spread on bagel. Top with 1/2 a tomato, chopped & devour open-faced.

Repeat as needed with the other half of everything.

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
avacado plus mayo left on the hair for a half hour or more= nice shiny frizzfree hair... but it really only works for me right after clarifying my hair to get rid of cones

squiggyflop
March 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM
i didnt want to start a new avacado thread so ill ask it here
has anyone here used avacado oil on their hair???... i saw some in the store today and i was seriously concidering buying it because its so hard to wash avacado chunks out of my hair... and its the oil in the avacado that makes it good for hair so how about pure avacado oil out of a bottle?...

angelgypsy
September 9th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Oooh! I'd like to know about avocado oil too! I found a small bottle at CVS for under $3.

Glad I found this either way, I got an avocado and intend to make a hair mask, today so this helps me out a lot! Thanks all!

morrigan*
September 9th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Peel and slice
Sprinkle with salt
Eat!

I was all excited when i saw this thread, because i though there would be recipes with avocados meant to eat not for hair :o

Bunnysaur
September 9th, 2012, 02:27 PM
i didnt want to start a new avacado thread so ill ask it here
has anyone here used avacado oil on their hair???... i saw some in the store today and i was seriously concidering buying it because its so hard to wash avacado chunks out of my hair... and its the oil in the avacado that makes it good for hair so how about pure avacado oil out of a bottle?...

I realize you asked this over 4 years ago, but I use avocado oil on my hair and it loves it. I find it's better on my scalp, it works on the length to moisturize but I prefer how it makes my scalp feel.

Oooh! I'd like to know about avocado oil too! I found a small bottle at CVS for under $3.

Glad I found this either way, I got an avocado and intend to make a hair mask, today so this helps me out a lot! Thanks all!

I love it on my hair :p

angelgypsy
September 9th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I was all excited when i saw this thread, because i though there would be recipes with avocados meant to eat not for hair :o

BAAHAHHAAHA! I would imagine that kind of thread would be in the Off Topic forum! :p

Thanks Bunnysaur, even one response can reassure newbies like me!

soniqui
September 9th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I definitely was thinking ths same thing as morrigan.
So I will post my edible recipe anyway because it just TASTES SO GOOD.
fry some garlic in a pan, add mashed avocado and sour cream til heated through and then serve on pasta of choice.
Ratios and measurements not neccessary - just do what feels right. I usually use 2 cloves of garlic 2 avocados and 3 or 4 heaped tablespoons of sour cream.
Sorry to not be posting a hair recipe...but I just really needed to share this as soon as I saw the thread title.
You probably wouldn't want to put this on your hair unless you like to smell like garlic.

morrigan*
September 9th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Thank you soniqui! Sounds yummi :D
If I tell you the truth angelgypsy I usually don't look at which sub forum thread is located, i just open it. Also i rarely go to specific sub forum i just go through new posts and my last few comments :D

Agnieszka
September 10th, 2012, 12:01 AM
mashed avocado mixed with humous plus red onion finely chopped on slice of toasted wholegrain bread topped with chopped tomatoes and bit of olive oil :-) yummy breakfast

angelgypsy
September 10th, 2012, 06:09 AM
That makes sense *morrigan, I'm new so I'm still poring through sub forums finding all kinds of interesting info! That's how I found this one!

Nightshade
September 10th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Green Smoothie:

1 avocado
1 banana
1 cup baby spinach
1 cup frozen mango
as much almond milk as you need to blend

Awesome Salad:

1 chopped avocado
1 can drained sardines, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2c spinachToss and eat. :D

morrigan*
September 10th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I think that this thread just turned into posting edible recipes :D

SweaterFreak
September 10th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Just make sure you puree or blend it well. I got a funny story - I mixed avocado and banana (As per some online recipe), put it on my hair for 30 mins and when I washed it out it was greasy and dirty. That's half the trouble - when I ironed my hair, I left a giant piece of avocado in it which got fried when I ironed the hair!

never again am I attempting this - but I did hear great things from other people.

angelgypsy
September 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I used my trusty stick blender today and made a smooth fluffy mask for my hair.

Ingredients:
1 avocado
1 egg
1 tbs mayo
1 tsp avocado oil
1/4 c Vatika coconut oil
few drops each lavender and amber fragrance oils
splash coconut milk
(measurements approximate, I eyeballed it, just like I do in cooking!)

the mix came out smooth, creamy and was ,enough to cover my BSL hair. I left it on for about 2 hours then got in the shower, rinsed it out, and tried out a mix of shikakai, amla, brahmi, and aritha powders mixed with a little rose water and a few drops of rose oil.

It felt very uneven, greasy in some spots, dry in others, so I used my Kirk's bar to shampoo it all out. Then I conditioned with some suave naturals conditioner.

Before toweling it, I sprayed a tiny bit of an oil mixture I have that I added a few drops of perfume oil in it, and rubbed my hands together and ran them over my wet hair, just the length, mainly the ends.

It's still wet, but it feels pretty smooth.

Next time I'm going to use hot water to mix the powders with, I think it was too gritty to do much good.

doctorvkp1
September 12th, 2012, 05:54 AM
wow......wonderful recipes to follow.... thanks everyone

EndlessSunshine
September 13th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Every time I buy and avocado I say I am using one half for a mask but I always end up eating it. Works from the inside out too....

morrigan*
September 16th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Every time I buy and avocado I say I am using one half for a mask but I always end up eating it. Works from the inside out too....
I'm the same :applause

littlestarface
September 16th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Can you use a bad avacado on the hair or does it have to be good enough to eat?

I have an avacado but it looks bad and I will not be able to eat it,,can I use it on my hair?

angelgypsy
September 16th, 2012, 07:56 PM
That's a good question. I intended to try it out I had semi mashed a couple of old avocados a couple of weeks ago but my husband threw them out the next morning cleaning out the fridge so I didn't get a chance to try. I would imagine if they aren't hard or moldy they would still be ok, but I'm only guessing. I'd love to hear from someone with the voice of experience or at least research!

justgreen
September 16th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Mash an avocado, add 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese, 4 tablespoons of chunky Pace picante sauce, mix well, a little salt, a dash of lemon juice. Grab the bag of Doritos.

spirals
September 16th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Avocado ice cream is good. (It is a fruit, after all.) But I don't have a recipe. It kind of reminds me of pistachio ice cream.

Heatherzilla
September 20th, 2012, 01:10 AM

I have an avacado but it looks bad and I will not be able to eat it,,can I use it on my hair?
It works just fine. I do this with any avocados that go brown and ewwy. Honestly I think it makes it easier to blend nicely so you don't end up with avocado bits in your hair.

Tisiloves
September 20th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Take one slightly over-ripe avocado, peel and stone.

Mash with a fork and mix with 1/2 a diced tomato, the juice of 1 small lime, and Cajun seasoning to taste. Smush onto some sort of toasted wholemeal bread product and devour.

For your hair: do that^ a couple of times a week :)

Luminaria
October 24th, 2012, 02:45 AM
When the avocado is ripe I mix it in the blender with an egg yolk, a little honey, and a few drops of oil.

jasper
September 20th, 2013, 05:03 AM

I have an avocado that got overripe because I forgot about it. That one that is ripe for a hair treatment.