PDA

View Full Version : Favourite updos?

Susana
August 31st, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hi guys!:)

As some of you know, I am at waist again :cheese: and I have decided to grow to hip length. The only thing is that I don't know many updos. I damage my hair a lot because I mostly just wear it down or tie a scrunchy around it (I do a particularly bad one where I just pull the hair through the elastic into a bun and all the ends stick out)

So, I have been looking in youtube and google for some instructional videos:cool:. So far, I have been trying to do the french twist. I generally don't have a lot of time to do my hair, so I prefer something that uses minimal time and effort and that holds well.

So, tell me ladies (and gents) what are your favourite updos and toys for your hair?:cheer::cheer:

Zesty
August 31st, 2011, 07:37 PM
The nautilus bun is my #1 go-to. There are lots of tutorials on it. I can secure it with a stick, a fork, a Ficcare, a Flexi-8... It's a really versatile and easy bun. I don't know how thick your hair is -- if it's a lot thicker than mine you might not have the length for it yet. But I'm at waist with reasonably thick hair, and the nautilus bun has been a lifesaver as an everyday hairstyle. (Personally, I can't get a French twist to work at this length. With the weight of all this hair, it pulls terribly.)

I also use a pencil bun as an everyday bun, and when I'm feeling fancier I do a roped vortex bun (pictures in my album). You can find tutorials for all of them on YouTube. Good luck!

Madora
August 31st, 2011, 07:55 PM
Lace crown braid. Here's a tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

missmagoo
August 31st, 2011, 08:56 PM
I'm a big fan of figure 8 and infinity buns, held with a stick, fork, or flexi. I also use the nautilus bun for my go-to bun, generally help with sticks or a fork.
I also am guilty of the bun held by an elastic, but since I've stopped that I really have noticed more growth. My replacement has been to do the same kind of bun, but instead I hold it with a claw clip- probably not the absolute safest for hair, but it works when I am lazy and don't want to mess with hair toys. I just clamp the buns wherever my ends are, along the side/edge of the bun.

Gumball
August 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM
I'm definitely in the "nautilus is my go-to" camp. On a regular day I cycle between a nautilus held with a stick or a fork and a braided cinnabun. Both are quick (nautilus wins out of those two for speed) and both hold solid all day. The added bonus of the bunned braid, however, is that I wear a braid to bed. At the end of the day I remove the pins and just replace my super loose hair tie (so the braid doesn't unravel while I bun it) with a scrunchie before hopping in bed.

Eirelin
August 31st, 2011, 09:40 PM
Braids: Dutch, French, lace, crown, twin, etc., everything I can think of here because I love braids. Unfortunately, the layers have to grow out more to do all I really want to with it.

I also discovered the cameo bun (cinnamon bun with an English braid wrapped around it) here when it was the "Hairstyle of the Month."

Curly buns, or whatever you call them, where you put your hair up in a ponytail then curl up sections and pin them around the ponytail.

Gibson tuck, although I seem to be having more problems getting the tail to stay in.

I did have a couple of hairsticks I bought, but they broke, so so much for that.

Otherwise, I use little elastics (no metal, of course), bobby pins (I finally found some good ones at Sally), hairpins and, for the Gibson tuck, a barrette above the tuck to hold the edges together (I hate seeing the part, particularly down the back).

dulce
August 31st, 2011, 09:59 PM
My fastest[takes 5 seconds]easiest,most comfortable and least damaging style[holds through gym high impact cardio classes even] That is my low nape lazy wrap bun or a fast coiled bun[no pins or elastics]held just by a beak clip.A ficcare works well too but is much heavier than a beak clip so I prefer the beak clip for comfort.

dRummie
August 31st, 2011, 10:58 PM
I'd say nearly anything can become quick and effortless with practice, with the obvious exception of the very intricate. Many buns are fairly simple, as are some braids. Myself, I've been eyeing the pencil bun. It looks like it would take but seconds and stay securely with a single stick.. but my hair isn't long enough for it yet, so for now my go-to is a French Twist-y thing that I've got down to about 15 seconds. The best thing about it is the versatility: it has a bit of a learning curve, but afterwards that single skill gives you the gamut between the practical everyday and the evening-appropriate.

celebriangel
September 1st, 2011, 02:12 AM
Gibraltar buns are great - hold with only one stick, take about 10 seconds to do, and are super-secure. Basically, you make a loose cinnabun, then take the middle coil and pull it towards the outside of the bun on both sides. Then shove a stick through what's now the centre of the bun. I have discovered that pretty much whichever direction I do this, the bun is very secure - in fact it lends to too tight if you're not careful, so it's important to start with a loose cinnabun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXfp_wANOkw is a tutorial. Also check out hypnotica's channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica
and Torrin Paige's channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige?blend=3&ob=5

Torrin Paige is probably the friendliest youtuber ever. I defy you not to learn the style from one of her vids! A lot, though not all of her styles are reasonably fancy, although she does do tutorials on the nautilus and figure 8 buns listed above. Hypnotica's channel is great for a lot of the basic, secure, everyday buns.

Best of luck!

SusanSt
September 9th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I like the Nautilus bun and I also really like the "seashell bun" taught here on the LHC by LoversLullaby. I also like the Gibson tuck. I agree with the recommendation to check out Torrin Paige's youtube channel. Lots of great ideas there.

heartgoesboom
September 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM
i'm boring, i do a very high ballerina bun because it rests on top of my head! :P

faithsdaisy421
September 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I have been wearing the pencil bun quite a bit lately. It is super comfortable, and stays all day.

irishlady
September 9th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I usually do a cinnamon/regular bun, and use little claw clips to hold it in place.

Otherwise I do a french/dutch plait(braid).

lapispimpernel
September 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
My favorite is the lazy wrap, 'cause, well... I'm lazy. I was lazy before LHC, but wrap + stick takes even less time than a braid-bun *and* takes less brushing.

:D