PDA

View Full Version : I didn't oil after my shower and...

sakuramoon08
August 31st, 2011, 03:55 PM
My hair feels normal? Softer? I've been oiling it so long now that it feels wierd but cool at the same time to have it like this. I'm going to oil it later though, I don't want to risk damage. Has anyone else gone without oiling for awhile? What are your experiences? Oh, it did get a bit frizzy at first.

celebriangel
August 31st, 2011, 04:38 PM
Oiling my hair, for me, makes it shinier, smoother and less frizzy (if I do as I normally do and detangle gently when wet).

When I don't oil, if I have done a nice moisturising wash and my hair is behaving, it will be soft, but a little poofy, and the ends will dry out quickly and the length gets frizzy. I don't notice it being softer than when I don't oil - perhaps the oil you're using isn't quite right for your hair?

McFearless
August 31st, 2011, 05:01 PM
I think you are seeing the result of oiling your hair long term. Like celebriangel said, if your hair feels softer without the oil maybe you were using the wrong one?

selderon
September 1st, 2011, 05:20 AM
I find that with olive oil I need to oil once a month or so. I use a deep conditioner containing olive oil and avocado oil when I color and plain olive oil once between colors. If I oil more often than that my hair gets heavy and needs to be washed more often.

Little_Bird
September 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
That already happened to me, yes :) I guess it's just a diferent feeling maybe? I'm not sure... but yeah I've been there :D

Zenity
September 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM
When oiling hair often, there is a “residual“ charge left in your hair. If you miss it once the oil that has been on your hair previously won't leave your hair bur it will show in a nice and soft texture, even though you haven't oiled.

Been oiling hair since a kid, and I know what it does.

Megz
September 1st, 2011, 10:59 AM
I had that problem a few months ago. I kind of mix WO with CO for the most part, just because I need help with detangling my hair and I'm trying to not over do washing/co-washing. I make an effort to go crazy with the oil every day and have been trying to just focus on my ends, with a small, serum-like amount just to seal seal through out after using a leave-in.

Once/twice a week, I try to massage a tiny amount of amla oil into my scalp and ends (which get dry in summer) before a shower, and just go in and rinse it under lukewarm water after about 15 minutes . I usually don't add anything after that, other than add a bit to my ends, since it's easy to detangle, not saturated with gunk yet still moisturized/diluted. I also use a vinegar rinse weekly, so not sure if that's what's been helping. I've also been laying off using it as a straight-on deep conditioner, although I'll add a little to other types.

Megz
September 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Oops, sorry. I use coconut to seal ends, etc. after rinsing. Amla I sometimes do before my shower rinse, though I try just mix it up and do a rinse-only the next day (still testing that one). I agree about a lot of residual oil being on the hair, so you might still be getting the softening effects from it. Might be why I'm able to just rinse/wet my curly hair a few days out of the week, and still have it conditioned.

sakuramoon08
September 2nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks for you replies everyone!!!! I oiled my hair again, the ends were getting really dry, and my hair feels so much better now. I guess I can't go without oil for long. Especially since the dried out ends got white dots in the middle of the hair, so that is alot of damage. Never again will I go three days without oiling.