PDA

View Full Version : Help trimming my ends: what length?

Zenity
August 31st, 2011, 02:19 PM
End of summer is here, and my hair has gone through a couple of highlights sessions (on dec, and june) ombré style, and a keratin treatment that had formol. That made my hair shed a break a lot, due to dryness.
I don't have many split ends, maybe few on the sides, but my ends have become very thin...

I need a trim. :(

I am asking your help to decide what length should I go... As much as I want my hair waist line (I only need few inches to reach it) I want it healthy and as thick as it was.

So, what length would you cut it?

Today's pics:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Mechas%20degradado%20ks/Degradadoplanchadoks14-1.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Mechas%20degradado%20ks/Degradadoplanchadoks3.jpghttp://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/Mechas%20degradado%20ks/cortepuntas08-09-2011.jpg

Edited sept 8: The last pic is the result of the trim

Ends detail from a month or so:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/MECHAS%203%20DEGRADADO/Degradado3contrastepuntas.jpg

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Edit to add pics of how thick my hair was in the past:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/pelo6-1.jpghttp://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/pelo4-1.jpghttp://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/pelo1-1.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/ZenityNadir/PELO/MI%20PELO/pelo5-1.jpg

dRummie
August 31st, 2011, 02:28 PM
This is a pretty personal decision.. how much length are you willing to sacrifice for thickness?

If it were me, I would cut off all the damage, or to the minimal length I needed for buns, whichever was longer. But I'm a perfectionist, and length is not terribly important to me. You sound like you want to keep as much as possible, so maybe just trim the worst of it, and baby the rest? Good luck :)

Cainwen
August 31st, 2011, 02:30 PM
I'd probably do a couple trims, maybe an inch at a time till I were satisfied with the thickness. That way, there isn't the trauma of a big chop and you can stop when you have balanced desire for thickness with desire to get rid of damage.

tigereye
August 31st, 2011, 02:34 PM
If you're going for a trim, but still want to reach waist not too far away (btw, I believe you're there, if not perhaps only a tiny bit to go) then I would cut at the purple (the lowest one). Because honestly, your ends don't look that bad, and you say there's only a few splits. Some good, reasonably regular deep treatments will likely help with the dryness. (I have naturally very dry hair and scalp, so I try to do a deep treatment of some sort each week on wash day, but unless your hair is like a desert like mine, you could probably do less often, although I think there is a challenge around somewhere to do with weekly DT) You could just trim a little, then try S&D-ing to keep the rest nice. I think maintaining length with little trims will help thicken up your ends better than a major cut then growing again. That is if you do actually want to grow again if you cut...

Zenity
August 31st, 2011, 02:56 PM
Thank you all for helping me out.

I've edited the first post and added detail of my ends.

They are mostly okay. No splits, except on the sides of my face, but those are under control.

I like the “look“ of my hair, specially the color, but I don't like how fine and thin it is from middle to ends... Dilema!

If you ever consider any treatment containing formol, please stay away from it! I wish I had knew before doing it.... Not even lifting the color of my hair has caused as much breakage as formol did, hence my poor ends being thin.... sigh!
Besides it changed the structure of my natural wavy hair. From middle to ends is totally flat due to breakage of cistinic bridges on my hair. It wont take any form but boring flat.

I am usually wearing updos, and that is a great way of recovering my hair, so yes, any length should allow me to wear updos.

I had damaged, actually, serious terrible damage in the past in my hair, and this is not damaged at all.
Yes, it is dry, and it is not natural, but believe me: not damage. It actually responds really good to hydration and I can tell the difference from the previous damaged hair I had. Was actually burned and falling appart... Big trauma! What I have right now is not natural and chemical processed hair. I had to dye it anyway due to my grays on roots.

A good way to test the health of my hair is to observe how fast air-dryes when washing it . Right now only the ends dry very fast. 2 factors contribute to it: very thin layer at the end and dryer than the previous length... So yes, the purple line has to go for sure.

I think that being conservative is a good option, while recovering the thickness as my hair grows. I can always keep cutting it if I am not happy with it.
I am afraid if I cut too much, I would end missing my long hair, but sometimes you have to let go...
This could be the case... Maybe a good trim is what I need. Again, dilema!

I will keep thinking about it and read your comments. You are definitely a great help. I knew a long hair community is the right place to get advice for a long hair “wannabe“ like me : -)

Zenity
August 31st, 2011, 05:01 PM
If you're going for a trim, but still want to reach waist not too far away (btw, I believe you're there, if not perhaps only a tiny bit to go) then I would cut at the purple (the lowest one). Because honestly, your ends don't look that bad, and you say there's only a few splits. Some good, reasonably regular deep treatments will likely help with the dryness. (I have naturally very dry hair and scalp, so I try to do a deep treatment of some sort each week on wash day, but unless your hair is like a desert like mine, you could probably do less often, although I think there is a challenge around somewhere to do with weekly DT) You could just trim a little, then try S&D-ing to keep the rest nice. I think maintaining length with little trims will help thicken up your ends better than a major cut then growing again. That is if you do actually want to grow again if you cut...

Tigereye, you are right, I am at waist line.
Pics were taken sitting, so if I reach my waist's back while sitting, my hair does not reach it because of the waist curvature of my back flattening, but standing my ends are right there. So yes, officially I am waist length.... dunno for how long, though...

Cassie 123
August 31st, 2011, 05:09 PM
I say no more than an inch. You just need a little trim.

spidermom
August 31st, 2011, 06:04 PM
I'd start with an inch or maybe the lowest line (light purple).

gthlvrmx
August 31st, 2011, 06:09 PM
I would def do an inch first, and if you dont like how it feels or looks to you afterward, keep going little by little if you see that there is still too much damage. Try making sure your hair is balanced with the protein and moisture so that it's not breaking off anymore. It should change everything. :)

skyblue
August 31st, 2011, 06:37 PM
I think your hair looks fine, it doesn't look damaged at all, I'd just trim an inch or so and really baby it with moisture treatments, do you use honey once in a while mixed with your conditioner?
This really helps moisturize, also I mixed some ACV water with a few drops of EVOO and a squirt of aloe into a spray bottle, I spray it on my damp hair after a wash, I love it! It makes my hair soft and shiny, oh and when my ends get dry looking I use just a little Africa's Best Herbal oil it really works wonders! Don't give up on your hair yet, doing monthly micro trims after your initial first trim for a few months will allow your broken ends to catch up
I feel your frustration really, I have the same thing going on, patients my dear all will get better
And BTW your hair is already at waist from what I can see ;)

Carolyn
August 31st, 2011, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't trim any more than to the purple line. You could start out with a trim halfway there, wait a couple months and do it again.

Henrietta
August 31st, 2011, 06:56 PM
I voted for purple. You don't seem to need a huge trim! :) Cut to purple line, it's still significant, and see the difference. Your hair looks very well, even in close-up pics, so don't cut much at first. If you'll feel you need more, go for it. But at the first sight it looks so good that I wouldn't say you need a drastic cut :)

celebriangel
September 1st, 2011, 03:00 AM
I wouldn't even trim to the purple line.

I'd trim all your growth each month (or every two months - that, for the average person, would be an inch every two months) starting with an inch now. That will take care of the damaged ends.

I would not cut for thickness at waist - you can do updos, and your hair still has plenty of thickness, just not as much as it used to. I would instead maintain at waist until the thickness has grown down. A patience game, yes, but I don't think your hair looks bad!

At least you now know that these things do not work for your hair.

Zenity
September 1st, 2011, 03:55 AM
Wow! Girls, Thank you SOOOO MUCH!

What I love about TLHC is that everybody cares about other's hair as if it was hers/his! That's awesome!

I agree, I will be conservative. Really my hair is not in bad condition, at least the lil one that is left on my head... There are mor pics of my hair here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71919&page=11 and don't feel it terrible, even though it could be better for sure...
It is time for intense care, updos and my usual moisture-oil-protein balance.

I will give it another year, as my hair really grows super-fast and I will try to keep the length by just trimming the new grow. That should recover partially my thickness. That would be pretty much the green line or so. A whole year to practice patience! LOL!

Thank you all for your advise and input. It is a big pleasure to be part of a place like this.

Alacris~
September 1st, 2011, 05:08 AM
I also voted purple, but think you don't even need it:]

swetiepeti
September 1st, 2011, 05:43 AM
I'm voting with Celebriangel

Zenity
September 1st, 2011, 06:35 AM
Ok, this weekend I am trimming my ends. My sis who also is a hairdresser can't believe how thin my hair is. She agrees that ends aren't damaged, but she mentioned something interesting.

Your ends are the ones that mostly get all the rubbing and friction from your hair, so cutting it shorter will make the new ends get all that stress, while keeping it longer means your actual ends will get all those nasty effects.

Also I have tons of new hairs growing on my roots... tons! It is not only breakage but also the shedding that now is growing back.

If my goal is to get thickness again, best way is to be very conservative and trim more often but as said just the new growth, while trying to make the new hair reach the length I have.

So yes! I will be for a year trying to keep this length more or less while baby'ing my hair as much as I can.

Finally less than the actual purple line is what I think I will do.

Thanks again!

Dogbones
September 1st, 2011, 06:38 AM
idk i see alot of splits i'd say second of bottom line just to get rid of the bad ends

florenonite
September 1st, 2011, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't even trim to the purple line.

I'd trim all your growth each month (or every two months - that, for the average person, would be an inch every two months) starting with an inch now. That will take care of the damaged ends.

I would not cut for thickness at waist - you can do updos, and your hair still has plenty of thickness, just not as much as it used to. I would instead maintain at waist until the thickness has grown down. A patience game, yes, but I don't think your hair looks bad!

At least you now know that these things do not work for your hair.

^What she said.

I think your hair looks great as it is, to be honest. It looks healthy (even if it isn't) and doesn't appear to drastically thin.

Capybara
September 1st, 2011, 07:03 AM
You have my dream hair :crush:

I didn't vote, because I think that you should trim what you'll be comfortable with. My personal opinion is to trim only an inch :) Less than the purple line. You can always go back if needed. However, if you feel that you want to trim more, go for it!

julliams
September 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
I think your hair looks great. Just go with an inch or two every 3 - 4 months and it will all thicken up naturally without you losing the length.

Zenity
September 1st, 2011, 07:35 AM
You have my dream hair :crush:

I didn't vote, because I think that you should trim what you'll be comfortable with. My personal opinion is to trim only an inch :) Less than the purple line. You can always go back if needed. However, if you feel that you want to trim more, go for it!

Wow! Thank you!!!! That is the best compliment you can get in a place like this, with all these wonderful and beautiful hair gurus around!

It is my dream color.... I 've been trying to get this color forever. Being a dark brunette and trying to get something that gives more light to your hair, looking “somehow“ natural, and surviving to it, is a big deal for me. So far I still have hair that doesn't look or feel terrible.

But is not my dream hair as I know how it could, potentially, be. We are very strict judging ourselves, specially when comparing to what you know you can get for sure.

I can't imagine how gorgeous (to my personal taste) would have been to have the fullness of my hair with this color that I'm in love with...

....Sing with me: You can't always get what you want.....:disco:

lapushka
September 1st, 2011, 08:30 AM
Another vote for your hair looking fine as it is! I don't see the need for a trim to be honest. If you're going to trim anyway, I'd cut the least possible length off if I were you.

Anje
September 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
No more than to the purple line. I think just a small trim and some moisture treatments will fix your ends up nicely.

Zenity
September 1st, 2011, 09:10 AM
I've just edited the first post to add some pics from the past where my hair was at its regular thickness.

:( I miss it...

I would like to avoid excessive shedding while my hair catches up.

Is there a natural way to avoid this?

Vits. or hair care I should consider?

Thnx!

Mommyof4
September 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM
Replying to your vitamin comment:
I take 3,000 mcg of Biotin everyday, and my shedding has completely stopped. I have new hair growth sticking up everywhere! I had a baby 7 months ago, and my hair was falling out like crazy, I was only taking 1,000 mcg at the time. My doc said that more than 5,000 mcg isn't recommended for any adult. So I picked 3,000 and I have noticed a huge difference! I also started taking Horsetail Supplements and got 1 inch of growth in 1 month. :cheese: My curly hair grows really slowly so I was soo happy! A B-50 vitamin supplement is a great help to your hair growth and thickness, too. My grandma takes MSM everyday and has thicker hair than I do lol. She had shedding happen when she went through menopause and after taking the MSM and seeing the results, she always takes it. I am breastfeeding, so I can't take it until my baby is weaned. If you aren't pregnant or nursing, I would definitely recommend the MSM.

About your hair:
Your hair is BEAUTIFUL and I wish mine was half as long as yours! I don't really see any damage, just thinner ends. It looks to me like you have more growth coming in.:D and that causes the bottom to look thinner. I vote purple line, just to clean things up completely and then you shouldn't need another trim for a loooong time!

Good luck growing!

Zenity
September 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
Mommyof4

Thank you so much! I will check on those vits.

Been thinking on MSM long time ago, but I don't think I can get it where I live (Spain). I will check tonight on Iherb or any other online sites that ship over seas.

Re pregnancy and shedding I was there too when I had my baby, but took longer for me. At 8 month after having my baby the shedding stopped. I did take a good multi vit. specific for the hair at that time, but nursing I had to be VERY careful on what I put in my body.

The good thing on my case about shedding is that I am always growing new and fresh hair, but what sucks is that I can't have it all in one piece! sigh :-(

THANK YOU ALL. YOU GIRLS ARE THE BEST on understanding and helping others

tolly
September 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
iI wouldn't even cut as much as the purple line, you can always cut more later but if you cut so much at first its irreversible. I admit I am attached to length, probably because I have so little hair!

Lianna
September 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM
I think an inch would be fine.

McFearless
September 1st, 2011, 04:46 PM
Don't cut! You said you don't have any splits. Keep it protected, healthy and just wait for the thickness to grow in. You should enjoy your length, cutting it will not make it instantly thick, you have to wait for the thickness to grow back in. If you start to see damage, then trim. Does your hairstylist listen to you? I'm afraid you'll go in and come out with a bob or something. Self trims are the best :)

Ishje
September 2nd, 2011, 12:52 AM
I think your hair looks fine! if you really want a trim you only need a small one.

kidari
September 2nd, 2011, 01:08 AM
I think an inch is fine and just keep trimming less than that every month or two and baby it like crazy. I didn't cut my ends for an entire year and I only cut off 3-4 inches because my ends were like velcro and kept tangling up. Even though my hair was more manageable, I really regretted it a month later. If I could go back now, I would have just trimmed off an inch and keep maintaining.

kanaka
September 2nd, 2011, 01:46 AM
your hair looks awesome. According to me, trimming your ends is more than enough

Sweetie
September 2nd, 2011, 01:50 AM
I voted Purple - I don't see so much damage, and I wouldn't cut more than a few inches, unless you want a change!

Zenity
September 2nd, 2011, 04:18 AM
I am really thankful to be part of a supportive community like this. I feel like you girls understand better than anyone else what a long hair is.
While reading all your posts and advices I literally felt shivers like if my hair was yours and you were running your fingers through your hair. So nice!

Yeah, call me the new hair medium on the net! lol!

Tomorrow I will trim my ends, not beyond the purple line. I will begin fall season with my collection of updos, oils and treatments to protect my hair from more stress and damage. I want to keep every single hair growing from my scalp until it reaches the waist! LOL!

Next spring I will check again on my thickness (Do I sound like a bear going to hibernate in Alaska?)

It just sucks that now that I have the length that I wanted and the color I liked my hair is not really that great to show. But I am determined! and boy! Am I stubburn!

Zenity
September 5th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Its done.

I went for an inch or so under the purple line. I will keep trims regularly to keep the ends at this length for a year or so and see if I can gain the lost thickness of my hem.

Thank you all for your help :)

Shelly
September 5th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I would just trim maybe an inch if that much. Your hair looks great.

indiana
September 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
maybe an inch at the most, you can always trim more later if you don't feel like an inch was enough

dulce
September 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
If that was my hair I wouldn't trim at all as your hem is even and strong[no fraying],maybe moisturize the ends a bit.It is ii hair like mine so isn't terribly thick even if you trim it will still be a ii.That said, it is lovely and does not look" too" thin to me.

PurusNox
September 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Definately purple, there is no need to cut off more than that! :)

Maktub
September 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'd love to see an after-trim picture of your lenght !

You have beautiful hair, by the way. Your "before formol" hair was completely stunning ! (but it's still looking very good !)

shawty
September 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I can't see the damage at all in those pics... I would say, don't trim! Or maybe just 1-2 cm?

Pantha
September 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I agree with most people who have voted, purple. I can't see any real damage to worry about.

McFearless
September 5th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Ok, this weekend I am trimming my ends. My sis who also is a hairdresser can't believe how thin my hair is. She agrees that ends aren't damaged, but she mentioned something interesting.

Your ends are the ones that mostly get all the rubbing and friction from your hair, so cutting it shorter will make the new ends get all that stress, while keeping it longer means your actual ends will get all those nasty effects.

I've always thought this way. I hate to leave fresh, perfect hair exposed. I'm glad you are no longer thinking about a bit chop. :) The thickness is already showing itself again, within a year it will fill out even better.

MiamiPineapple
September 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Your hair looks beautiful with no damage. If it were me I would trim none or an inch

LadieRyrie
September 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM
We're the Long Hair Community...of course we're all going to vote the purple line! Your hair really is pretty. :] Keep as much length as you can.

swearnsue
September 5th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I voted Green, but I've changed my mind. To me, I could see a difference in thickness at the Green line so I voted for that to make your hair's thickness more even. But I agree with what the other posters have said about 1 inch or less. Be sure to post pics!

Zenity
September 8th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Updated pag 1 with a pic after the trim.
My elbow is the guide to notice the difference.

Well, thank you all for your inputs. I think I took the right path. Shorter trims every month or two months and keeping the length until my hair recovers a little bit.

I am not planning on doing any other highlight session for a year o so. The only chemical process I will do is my roots as often as needed, but that doesn't affect my hair as much as the bleach as the dye I use is very gentle.

At the end I should be thankful for having the hair in relative good condition considering is bleached and dyed.

Oh well!

Zenity
September 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I've been reading the castor oil thread and some other threads related to castor.

Since I have that oil along with many others I think I will give it a go, and see how does affect my growth and thickness.

free_hug
September 8th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I think I'm sort of color blind, I accidentally hit pink instead of... well, either purple or green, depending on your own preferences.

heartgoesboom
September 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM
nice trim! don't worry, the thickness don't look different to me in those pics!

also, how do you straighten your hair?

DonyaleM
September 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I think your trim turned out really nice! (I voted for the purple line)

Zenity
September 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I don't straighten my hair. From mediums to ends got artificially straightened after using a keratin treatment with formol (back on november). Now it gets like that after 1 day or a couple of washing it, just by sleeping on it, is like I ironed it.
I hate it! If I only knew!
I am staying away of anything containing formol. Besides it did dry my hair more than bleaching highlights and got a lot of breakage from that.

My natural hair has a lot more body is sort of straight but wavy and if I put it on a bun, for an instance gets nice waves from it.

You can search my posts and you will see some summer pics on the ombré thread of my hair on different settings, but all the waves you can see there are gone in few hours or a day max.

On the other side back at the days when my hair was totally natural and healthy but frizzy and wavy if I wanted to straight my hair I would use the wrap around method.
It worked like a charm.

nice trim! don't worry, the thickness don't look different to me in those pics!

also, how do you straighten your hair?

DonyaleM thanks for your nice words :)

Roscata
September 8th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I chose the purple line because small trims over time can make a huge difference. You have beautiful hair, don't give up on all that length all at once. :D