PDA

View Full Version : Switching up shampoos and conditioners

AngelDella
August 31st, 2011, 01:30 PM
I'm wondering if maybe switching up shampoos and conditioners (I CWC every 3rd day) every time will keep my scalp from a "plateau" (loss for words here). In other words, sometimes switching up my diet from low carb (which I do most of the time) to a higher carb weekend will sometimes bring my weight loss out of a stall. Anyway, I have this huge stash of products that I may experiment with :) I'm just hoping that keeping my scalp guessing will keep it actively growing...any advice?

vanillabones
August 31st, 2011, 01:36 PM
I do this with great results. My hair is very damaged and if I do not mix up which products I use and do the same thing for weeks my damage starts to show and my hair turns to splits very easily. Mixing up what you use is fun and gets rid of the products faster for a product junkie like myself and it keeps my hair guessing and happy with whatever I use. For instance I can go cone-free for one wash and my hair is happy but when I tried to go cone-free for a couple of weeks I had to cut off what little length I had had left, been growing the damage out I lost from that in March since then!

Slinks
August 31st, 2011, 02:21 PM
:lol: I do this anyway .. ugh !! I can't stay out of the shampoo and conditioner aisle ..

Carolyn
August 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
I switch out my products every single wash. I learned years ago that if I used the same products more than twice in a row my hair looked like crap. My hair would be lank and dull and just awful. I also switch around my wash methods.

BrightEyes
August 31st, 2011, 03:50 PM
I have several different shampoo/conditioner sets that I rotate through. This keeps my scalp and hair happy. If I use one type too long my hair begins to look a little lank and dull........and I am a product junkie and have LOTS of products to use up:D

BlazingHeart
August 31st, 2011, 04:02 PM
With few exceptions, what you wash your hair with will not affect the speed of its growth. It may affect other factors, like shine and feel, but not how fast it grows.

Your hair growth is determined by your folicles, which are not on the surface and thus not affected by what you wash with.

~Blaze

Edited to add: the exceptions are things like prescription hair stimulators like Rogaine, things that so severely irritate your scalp as to cause hair loss, and there are some suggestions that caffeinated shampoos may contribute towards speed of growth. Anecdotally people have used substances like rooibos tea and castor oil to improve growth, but I haven't seen studies that support either.

SoulOfTheSea
August 31st, 2011, 04:19 PM
I love to switch up my shampoo and conditioner. I am currently using a no cone and low sulfate s&c, and now I've run out of it, so when I go to the store on Friday, I will buy a silicone conditioner and matching shampoo, most likely Herbal Essences. If I don't switch it up every time I run of out shampoo and conditioner, I get tired of the smell and my hair starts to look dull. So for me, a system of switching between cones and no cones really helps. :)