PDA

View Full Version : How much lenght on average does putting hair up at night add to hair eventually?

ilovelonghair
August 31st, 2011, 10:00 AM
For those who put their hair up at night (or even cover) have you noticed any difference in length you could grow extra than from before? Let's say you were at terminal before, but started putting it up, how many inches did that add to your terminal length?

Or if it didn't, did it add to the thickness?

gthlvrmx
August 31st, 2011, 10:18 AM
I noticed i can go on longer without a trim (around 7-9 months, if i keep my routine simple and balanced, more) but i also wear my hair up in a bun every day so it benefits more.
I guess maybe i gain 4 more inches? (Total guess) Because i used to have to trim off 2 inches every 2 months, but i grow an inch per month on average so that's why.
It's a lot more steady growth without breakage i can tell you that :cool:
Not at terminal yet though!

spidermom
August 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM
This would be impossible for me to know.

I put my hair up at night not for extra growth but because it smothers me otherwise.

Messyhair
August 31st, 2011, 10:35 AM
Again, not sure about the extra growth, but I get a lot fewer splits from wearing it up every day and now putting it in a sleep cap at night. My hair thinned out at hip length before, so I'm hoping that thinning won't happen this time. I didn't wear it up a lot when I grew it out before.

ilovelonghair
August 31st, 2011, 10:44 AM
If I wear it up during sleep, I get breakage at the back of my head, that's why I stopped doing it. I probably need to wrap it?

Madora
August 31st, 2011, 10:46 AM
For those who put their hair up at night (or even cover) have you noticed any difference in length you could grow extra than from before? Let's say you were at terminal before, but started putting it up, how many inches did that add to your terminal length? Or if it didn't, did it add to the thickness?

Putting your hair up is mostly for protection or comfort. You're protecting the ends to prevent damage. In that respect, you are helping your hair reach your goal.

However, putting your hair up will not add to the thickness. Your thickness (or lack thereof) is determined by your genes.

Isidith
August 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM
I haven't noticed any difference from sleeping with my hair up or in a braid. It only helps with it becoming less tangled and therefore I have less knots to yank out and less damage from brushing.

Carolyn
August 31st, 2011, 11:27 AM
I'd say nothing. I prefer sleeping with it loose for comfort. I get more tangles from wearing it in a ponytail for an hour than I do with sleeping with it loose all night.

archel
August 31st, 2011, 11:54 AM
I wear it in a french braid to sleep because otherwise it gets in my face; however, I don't notice any difference in the condition of my hair from sleeping with it up or loose. I do get more tangles if I sleep with it loose, but my hair detangles easily. I also have a satin pillowcase. As for length I'd say it won't really make much difference. And definitely not in thickness.

Oh and I also french braid it every night for PRACTICE! :)

lapelosa
August 31st, 2011, 11:56 AM
Putting your hair up is mostly for protection or comfort. You're protecting the ends to prevent damage. In that respect, you are helping your hair reach your goal.

However, putting your hair up will not add to the thickness. Your thickness (or lack thereof) is determined by your genes.
I was about to ask how on earth putting your hair up at night could help with growth. I guess it doesn't. If it did, what would be the principle behind it?

ScarlettAdelle
August 31st, 2011, 12:02 PM
I would guess that if your hair doesn't tangle and break as much, it would look thicker at the ends and wouldn't be as damaged, allowing you to grow longer without looking scraggly, but it's more of an illusion than anything else. Your hair will still continue to grow, but the breakage could create the illusion of a lack of growth.

Copasetic
August 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM
I don't think it makes a difference as far as length or thickness goes. I put my hair up so it doesn't frizz too much, or choke me when I sleep.

DuckyDot
August 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM
I tie my hair into either a pineapple, messy cinnabun or braids and wrap my head with a scarf to stop tangles. Seriously, my hair is out of control otherwise! Don't know about how it helps with length/thickness however.

celebriangel
August 31st, 2011, 01:28 PM
I braid my hair for sleep, because otherwise it mats and tangles terribly, and nomatter how careful I am, any kind of serious detangling always causes more mechanical damage over time than a quick finger-bomb after I've taken out a braid. This probably means that I need to trim less, and can thus grow to longer lengths more quickly than I could otherwise.

I also find my hair looks awful if I leave it up during the night. It all ruffles up, and I can't seem to get it to lie smoothly again. I think maybe it rubs against itself and the cuticles fluff up or something. Either way, I braid for smoother, tangle-free hair.

luvlaughlin
August 31st, 2011, 04:02 PM
I used to put my hair in a scrunchie to keep it from tangling but then I started to wonder if it would start causing breakage. I have been sleeping with it loose for about two years now and I am just very careful and try to sleep on my back as much as possible to keep from tangling and smothering me!

Slinks
August 31st, 2011, 04:09 PM
I also find my hair looks awful if I leave it up during the night. It all ruffles up, and I can't seem to get it to lie smoothly again. I think maybe it rubs against itself and the cuticles fluff up or something. Either way, I braid for smoother, tangle-free hair.

me too .. I use tissue paper on the ends/tassels and hair bead clips rather than ties .. I wish I knew where to get more hair beads from, the ones I have, 2 left, were from my daughters Conair hair braider set she got for xmas years ago ..

mallorykay13
August 31st, 2011, 05:02 PM

I put my hair up at night not for extra growth but because it smothers me otherwise.

hahah, I love you spidermom

princessp
August 31st, 2011, 05:55 PM
It definitely helps the overall health of my hair and my hair doesn't strangle me either.

Becky Safari
August 31st, 2011, 06:46 PM
I have to put my hair in a bun or braid or I wake up with the worst tangles ever. I have no idea what I do in my sleep but it wrecks my hair if it is not contained.

missmagoo
August 31st, 2011, 09:00 PM
I also had breakage along the back of my head when I wore it up in a bun to sleep, I switched to a braid- problem solved
I also recently got a silk pillowcase, which has helped so much more than wearing my hair up for tangles and the way my hair looks in the morning in general.

purple dust
August 31st, 2011, 09:33 PM
Well, it's cautionary to put your hair up a night... otherwise it can strangle you.

WinterButterfly
August 31st, 2011, 11:37 PM
I don't think that keeping your hair up at night will make it grow more. But it might help you sleep better to have it contained. Keeping ut up during the daywill do more to help keep your length. If you have it up and out of the way during the day, it gets caught on less things and rubbed on less. That causes less split ends. It also helps to keep your hair as thick as it can be. Do you get a lot of tangles at night? If you do then wearing your hair up at night can protect it from damage.

ilovelonghair
September 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
I tie my hair into either a pineapple, messy cinnabun or braids and wrap my head with a scarf to stop tangles. Seriously, my hair is out of control otherwise! Don't know about how it helps with length/thickness however.

Because it would get less wear and tear from moving in your sleep and less knots which can lead to breakage. I have lotd of breakage due to knots, I think that's why it doesn't seem to grow longer as it is now. Although it's getting better over the years.
I think thickness at the ends gets affected too buy wear and tear.

My hair breaks when my BF sleeps on it and I try to turn, his hair doesn't break if I sleep on it *jealous*

ilovelonghair
September 1st, 2011, 01:06 PM
...and nomatter how careful I am, any kind of serious detangling always causes more mechanical damage over time than a quick finger-bomb after I've taken out a braid.

That sounds very bad for hair :D:D:D

maborosi
September 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM

I've had a lot of problems falling asleep if my hair's down, because it tangles and doesn't like me. And I've heard of the smothering thing too, which makes me wonder-is it a legitimate concern for really longhaired people that their hair could potentially strangle them to death in their sleep?

~maborosi~

bluesnowflake
September 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM
I didn't do it for growth, I did it for condition, but anyways- I saw a huge reduction in tangles and consequently morning styling time, and it's also shinier.I have no idea if it helped with growth, but it definitely has prevented a lot of unconscious sleeping breakage.

Roseate
September 1st, 2011, 03:06 PM
Ditto PP's: no increase in growth or thickness, big increase in nighttime comfort and decrease in next-day frizz. I usually braid it with a silk scarf like so. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72757)

pepperminttea
September 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
Neither, as far as I've noticed it doesn't affect either my growth rate or my hair's thickness. BUT it reduces damage for me, since I've less tangles in the morning, and less detangling = less damage = less trimming needed = more healthy length!

So it all pays off, really. :D

AlannaMaria
September 9th, 2011, 09:21 AM
My hair tangles and breaks if it's not contained while I sleep. I move around a lot. : P I don't need nearly as many trims, so I suppose it does help with length.

MychelleC
September 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I get terrible tangles if I wear my hair up or in braids, and it irritates me every time I turn. I prefer to sleep with my hair loose. Funny how different we all are! I don't think we're at too much risk of being strangled by our hair - we will probably wake before that happens. Though it does get awfully hot with the hair down.

Venefica
September 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
My hairdresser recommended that that I have braids at night. I do not know if it make the hair grow faster, but then I am not at terminal length, however it do prevent tangling and damage.

ilovelonghair
September 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM
It wouldn't grow faster, hair follicles don't know the hair is braided of course, but maybe the damage control helps.

When my hair knots it knots in fairy knots and they have to be cut off. I seriously suspect that's why the hemline is thin and never thickens up :(

celebriangel
September 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Well, a lot of the time people have a "false terminal" where they can only grow a certain length then the damage from wearing their hair down all the time causes it to be too damaged to grow any further.

So, potentially, feet!

Aeltt
September 12th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I guess it also depends on your hairtype and on how you sleep.
If like me your hair loves to knot and tangle AND you toss and turn all night long, then not putting it up/braiding it at night is a hair-suicide.

ilovelonghair
September 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Well, a lot of the time people have a "false terminal" where they can only grow a certain length then the damage from wearing their hair down all the time causes it to be too damaged to grow any further.

So, potentially, feet!

Yes that's what I was thinking, but if it makes a foot difference, I don't know, maybe when people are extremely abusive to their hair :p
But it is tempting to keep it up and hope for a foot extra...

AcornMystic
September 12th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I`d say as a monthly guess-timate that it increases my growth by about a quarter more than it grows if it is down (half inch). That`s not because of an increase of what comes out of my head, but what does not break off the ends in the night. Hair is put through a lot throughout the night, every night, to be crumpled, rolled on, and tugged at. As nice as the feeling is against me during the night and on my face, to literally sleep with my hair and snuggle it, it`s hard on my hair and to get back at me my hair would either strangle or smother me in the night. It`s best to obey its wishes and put it up and it will reward you graciously. As an added bonus to growth I have smooth hair because the cuticles aren`t being pryed up and flattened continuously.

EDIT: I`m basing my guess-timate not just now, but also on back when I had APL hair.

ilovelonghair
September 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
As nice as the feeling is against me during the night and on my face, to literally sleep with my hair and snuggle it

That's what my BFs hair is for :p, his doesn't break or knot, how unfair!

AcornMystic
September 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
That's what my BFs hair is for :p, his doesn't break or knot, how unfair!

Lucky! My husband prefers to keep his short and the longest he`ll allow it to get is about 4-5 inches. That`s ok because short hair suits him, but with his viking build... *swoons*... Yeah, I wouldn`t try to dissuade him from growing it.:D

NotInPortland
September 12th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I'm sure it must help reduce breakage anyway so more length but I couldn't tell you personally because sleep styles for my hair are something I still struggle with. I toss and turn all night, and I mean really toss and turn because every night without fail I manage to have half of the mattress protector cover and the sheet over that coming off the mattress, and my pillows hanging out of my pillowcases if not completely out of the cases by the time I wake up in the morning. It's a nightmare! My hair looks pretty thin on the back of my head and I wonder sometimes is it because of all the tossing and turning I must do. I can't stand braids because I hate the texture they give my hair the next day and it goes all frizzy so I'll only braid if I know I'm going to be washing it first thing in the morning or will be re-braiding my hair for the day (which isn't often), and even when I do braid it has to be one on each side of my head and then that hair at the back of my head will still get damaged from rubbing against the pillow. I tried a slippery fabric pillowcase but they just keep coming off my pillows, and scarfs seem to fall off of my head-there is no hope!! I seriously must move around a lot in my sleep it's crazy!!

ilovelonghair
September 14th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Aren't you dead tired in the morning? LOL! I must move quite a bit too, because my hair always ends up all knotted even if I brushed it before sleep.