PDA

View Full Version : to henna or use indigo too?

bratz81
August 31st, 2011, 04:41 AM
Hi guys.
Newbie here so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place or anything.

At the moment I have naturally mid-brown hair (shoulder length ish, straight and just trimmed so not in bad condition). But part of my hair has been bleached and manic panic blue dye put over - this is mainly underneath but with the odd streak on top.

I want to get rid of the blue and get my hair back to brown. I'm not adverse to it being red - and in fact wanted it red at a later point so my main goal is really to get rid of the blue and get my hair one colour.

I don't want to bleach it again, or use chemical dye if I can help it, and someone told me to use an orange-based brown, or orange dye over it, and mentioned henna. This apparently tones the blue down to a brown.
But my question is: if I just use all henna all over, will this make the blue areas brown, and the rest of my hair reddish brown. Or should I mix henna and indigo and do everything brown? Will the henna and indigo cover the blue to a brown? Obviously I can adjust the levels to get a dark or mid or reddish brown...but I'm not sure whether to just henna or use indigo too :confused:

Has anyone put henna over blue hair, or have any insight?? I've melted my head trying to google things and am all confused now :o

Anje
August 31st, 2011, 06:36 AM
Honestly, henna only on an area that's bleached light will probably make orange. Henna on the blue might make brown, but only til the blue washes out.

You might be able to put one layer of henna over the blue stuff now, and when the blue comes out, do a henna + indigo mix to darken it to brown.

The thing you need to know is that both indigo and henna are really hard to bleach out, if you ever change your mind. It takes a lot of bleaching to get henna out entirely. Indigo on the other hand can fade, but if you have it in your hair and bleach it, it usually gives green results that won't come off. Finally, plan on doing some strand tests if you don't want to gamble on what color you get. Henna and indigo are more variable than boxed hair dye.

ETA: Here's some good information: Article 1 (required reading on henna) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7) Article 2 (some mixes, etc.) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=2)

bratz81
August 31st, 2011, 07:21 AM
Anje, thanks for the response.

I've used henna before to get my hair red, then bleached over it about a year after so I'm not a total newbie, but haven't used henna over bleached hair so am confused a bit.

I figured that the henna over the bleached hair would be really bright, but most of the blue isn't fading at all...or is fading to a light blue, I haven't got it back to a more bleached state - so I had thought if I put henna+indigo over to make brown then I can keep doing that for a while til it stops fading...or just henna over after doing a henna+indigo.

Though your idea of henna only first to see, then henna+indigo after could be the way forward. My hairdresser can put in an orange based brown, but I'm loath to use chemical dye unless I have to as it really makes my scalp itch and I know it's not good for my hair.

bratz81
September 7th, 2011, 09:03 AM
just thought I'd update....I was too nervous to try the henna in case it went too orange/bright/crazy so I put a semi permanent chestnut brown over it instead and....my hair is totally back to my natural colour all over!
I got 2 on offer for £4.49 instead of £3 each, so will have one when this one fades a little. But all in all I'm pleased as punch lol and my hair feels quite nice after it too which is a bonus.

Definitely no more bleaching for me, no way.

Alvrodul
September 7th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I think you made a good choice - henna is not really something that I would recommend putting on a hair disaster area, since it is so very permanent, and since the results can be a bit unpredictable. But if you decide to revisit henna some time in the future, I wish you good fortune!

bratz81
September 8th, 2011, 12:46 AM
thanks Alvrodul, that was my thinking too. I've used henna before, but never over bleached hair and was concerned at what it would do.

Brat
September 10th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I have henna over bleached hair. Mine is naturally brown but I had light highlights. I looked mostly blond in the light at work! Didn't like it, so box colored it black and then used henna. Black is fading a little, leaving a pretty dark, almost blackish red behind that I love!

Brat
September 10th, 2011, 02:20 PM
The henna also helped my hair feel thicker and less damaged...

bratz81
September 12th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Brat, last time I used henna it seemed to really help the condition of my hair, and since I'm not going to use chemical dyes any more, I'm thinking of switching it henna.

How long after bleaching your hair did you put henna in? Think mine was bleached about....oh 2 months ago now maybe and I'm loath to use henna on it too soon, just in case :)

Brat
September 12th, 2011, 04:14 PM
It was a few months. Not exactly sure, but it was a welcome relief when I got rid of the blond straw. Still not perfect, but much, much better. I plan on applying another box of henna soon!

bratz81
September 13th, 2011, 12:28 AM
thanks Brat, that's really helpful.
Get where you're coming from on getting rid of the straw!

Think I'll let my hair rest for a little bit, a few months, then get my henna on :)