PDA

View Full Version : Curlies who don't comb

McFearless
August 31st, 2011, 12:41 AM
Is this unheard of? Do all curlies need combs? I really want to ditch mine. My hair just snarls around the comb and I lose so much hair. Yes, I do comb in small sections from the bottom up.

Would fingercombing be enough? I'm pretty good about going through each curl. Hmm.. I'd like some advice. :)

redcelticcurls
August 31st, 2011, 01:07 AM
Are you talking wet or dry combing? You can bet your sweet bippy that I don't dry comb. What a nightmare.

For detangling, I finger comb wet hair that is sopped up with detangler. Then I wet comb to get out remaining sheds.

Sister13
August 31st, 2011, 01:22 AM
Fingercombing is enough. Wooden or bone combs to scritch the scalp before washing.

CurlyNaomi
August 31st, 2011, 01:27 AM
I usually only finger comb. I find that using a wide tooth comb deform my natural curls.

McFearless
August 31st, 2011, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Are you talking wet or dry combing? You can bet your sweet bippy that I don't dry comb. What a nightmare.

For detangling, I finger comb wet hair that is sopped up with detangler. Then I wet comb to get out remaining sheds.
Wet for sure. Dry is just a nightmare! I've been finger combing each section before combing using the method you mentioned in another thread and it worked for a few washes but today I had a lot of trouble with my hair swallowing the comb and spending over 30 minutes trying to catch every tangle.

Fingercombing is enough. Wooden or bone combs to scritch the scalp before washing.
Great I'll be trying this method from now on. It can't hurt.

I usually only finger comb. I find that using a wide tooth comb deform my natural curls.
I had no idea curlies weren't combing. Good to know.

pelicano
August 31st, 2011, 03:44 AM
I finger comb only now, mainly in the shower but occasionally if it's dried too clumpy.

Kiwiwi
August 31st, 2011, 04:38 AM
No, a brush is actually a curly's worst enemy!
Check this thread:
Curlies: brush your hair! (fun picture thread) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003)

I saw this thread when I just joined LHC and just got into trying to make my curls work and it was eye opening. All these brushed out heads were MY head! And they ALL had amazing curls. So I could too!
So I did the curly girl method (no sls shampoo, going CO only (mostly), leaving some CO in the hair, fingercombing while soaked with CO, etc). LOVE IT.

DuckyDot
August 31st, 2011, 06:08 AM
I only comb in the shower or when I'm putting my hair up (when its already flattened out and the curls are gross)

But now I wear my hair in braids/braid waves so I do comb.

headtrip_honey
August 31st, 2011, 07:06 AM
I've known lots of curlies who only comb *in* the shower, while their hair is loaded up with conditioner. Then they just finger comb and scrunch after rinsing.

shrimp
August 31st, 2011, 07:18 AM
I only comb in the shower whilst washing. Sometimes it is a finger comb rather than an actual comb. Just depends. Doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

rowie
August 31st, 2011, 07:31 AM
I definitely finger comb as much as I can. The only time I would use a comb is when I want to tie my hair, and I use Body Shop's wooden comb. The wooden comb from the Body Shop is the best comb I have ever used in my life. This comb for me is gentle on my hair, and untangles hair that I missed from finger combing.

AlexiaBlue
August 31st, 2011, 07:35 AM

"Sweet bippy" -- This literally made me LOL! Haaahhhaa:)

As soon as I read "The Curly Girl Handbook", I got rid of all brushes and combs. I only finger comb in the shower with a TON of conditioner to get my knots out. No more brushing/combing for me b/c that just equals tons of breakage and frizz. :(

CurlyCap
August 31st, 2011, 07:44 AM
I only finger comb, usually in the shower, maybe if it's still soaking wet outside.

I find that actual combs just break up the curl and puff out my hair.

redcelticcurls
August 31st, 2011, 08:26 AM
"Sweet bippy" -- This literally made me LOL! Haaahhhaa:)

As soon as I read "The Curly Girl Handbook", I got rid of all brushes and combs. I only finger comb in the shower with a TON of conditioner to get my knots out. No more brushing/combing for me b/c that just equals tons of breakage and frizz. :(

My grandma used to say that. I always thought it was hilarious, though I don't know what a 'sweet bippy' is.

purple dust
August 31st, 2011, 08:39 AM
Wide toothed comb while in the shower... after that, just hands.

AceOfCurls
August 31st, 2011, 08:40 AM
I only comb while in the shower with a lot of conditioner.

lapelosa
August 31st, 2011, 08:57 AM
I'm with everyone else -- finger comb in the shower with conditioner in. It was when, a few years ago, I finally stopped trying to brush or comb my hair, that I finally realized that I _don't_ have gross hair. Not brushing or combing made an enormous, enormous difference.

Who knew that mainstream culture is so wrong on proper hair care?