PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil Application

darklyndsea
August 30th, 2011, 11:52 PM
A couple of days ago I picked up some coconut oil at Sally's, and my hair seems to love it. But it's more of a gel than what I think of as oil (is that normal? It was the only kind they had, but that doesn't stop me from wondering), and my hair's bad at having things spread on it--no matter how much I try to spread them out evenly, they end up too thick in places (this is true of everything I put on my hair, it just doesn't matter so much with conditioner). So...I assume there's some better method to use than "remove from container, apply to hair". What's the trick?

Shelly
August 30th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Try using a boar bristle brush to distribute the oil evenly. That may help.

julierockhead
September 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Section your hair and oil each section individually.

SusanSt
September 1st, 2011, 06:41 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to warm the product first? It might go on more smoothly and evenly then. Worth a try?

slo2gro
September 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah i second the ideas of warming it a bit if you can n sectioning the hair. :)

HTH

swearnsue
September 1st, 2011, 08:21 PM
Take the coconut oil and rub between your hands to warm it up. Then rub on your hands and arms until you just have a very thin layer on your hands and then lightly grab the ends of your hair (the driest) and lightly smooth over the rest of your hair. Then brush with BBB. Always use less than you think will be useful!

Panth
September 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
There are several options:

1) Use your hands: put a (VERY!) small dab on your hand and rub your hands together to melt it, then slide your hands down the length of your hair, one hand on the inner side and the other on the outer side. This may work better if you section your hair and do it piece by piece.

2) Use a boar bristle brush (BBB): put a very small dab on your hand and rub your hands together to melt it, then pat the palm of your hands against the BBB. Then, use the BBB gently on pre-combed, detangled hair. Again, this may work better with sectioning.

3) Do a heavy oiling: as with method 1 but use much more, until the hair looks almost wet. Then, leave for a few hours, or even overnight (or even, if you can stand the wet-look, a few days) before washing out thoroughly. You will probably need to shampoo your length if doing this but don't worry too much as the oil will protect it from damage.

4) Try the oil shampoo method: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063

Personally, I like to do method 4. I also do a medium to heavy application of oil using method 1, but just on the last 6 inches or so when they feel dry. If I go camping, I've taken to using method 3 as it means hassle-free hair which can be quickly and easily combed (without fluff or frizz, which I find problematic, particularly when trying to comb outside the tent in a breeze!) plus plaits that won't frizz for several days vs. half a day without the heavy oiling.

For some other ideas, you could look here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28

EDIT: Forgot to say, it can also make a lot of difference whether you apply coconut oil to wet or dry hair. Some people swear by wet/damp, others by dry, others can use the oil on wet or dry hair. So, do a bit of experimenting to see which gives the best result for you.

CaityBear
September 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Check the ingredient list. I know I saw a product there that said something about coconut oil on the front but it was actually petroleum and coconut oil so it was quite thick instead. Coconut oil should be quite light. I just melt some between my hands and smooth down my hair.

hs_atreides
September 2nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
I agree about checking the ingredients! I bought food-grade coconut oil at Whole Foods, portioned out some for hair and some for cooking. It's not expensive, it lasts, AND it's 100% coconut oil! As for application, I have yet to be able to wear it on my hair and go about my day. It's something I put in, wrap it up, wash out later. I would say a little goes a long way!