PDA

View Full Version : silk pillows

purple dust
August 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Are they worth the shot? Anyone using them has noted a difference in skin and hair texture?

Áine
August 30th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Yes it's worth it. My hair doesn't get linty and thrashed anymore.

Arashi
August 30th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Maybe not quite the same thing, but I use satin pillowcases and find that I wake up with hair that is much smoother than when I use other pillowcases. The others, especially flannel, seem to pull my hair out of my braid/s or bun and make make it static-y.

islandboo
August 30th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I also see a huge difference with silk pillowcases, to the point where I bring mine with me when I travel.

Airmide
August 30th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I made my first out of an oversized satiny pajama top and just sewed up the bottom and sleeves. At first I didn't even bother with that and just wrapped it around the pillow. The others I've collected at Goodwill and similar stores over the years, for $1-$2 each. I also bought a satin sheet with the intention of making matching cases for all my pillows and my body pillows, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

So yeah, I'd say it's been more than worth it! I even bring a pillowcase or two along with me when we travel, even if it's by plane.

rowie
August 30th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I definitely see a difference. My hair feels so much smother with less tangles. I definitely can't go back to cotton.

Arashi
August 30th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I'm such a dork: I have a few cuts of satin fabric that I haven't known what to do with and since posting on this thread suddenly became inspired and made a couple new pillowcases. One of them came from the remnants section and so there wasn't quite enough to make it perfect, but the resulting pillowcase cost less than $1 and is quite pretty. :)

BittSweetCherry
August 31st, 2011, 05:48 AM
Definitely, when compared to flannel. I have a visible break line along my nape from last winter when the baby hairs became knotted with lint, and my hairbrush was white with pilling from my sheets. Since changing to a silk pillow case the amount of lint on my brush is almost zilch, and I have a modest reduction in tangles. It also seems to reduce bedhead a bit.

Satin will also not pill and as a smooth-textured fibre is not as abrasive - and thus less damaging - to the cuticle. The downside is that satin doesn't 'breathe' or wick moisture away as well as silk, which can be a problem if you're prone to acne. Wicking away sweat also helps prevent bedhead.

I second the idea of tying an old silk shirt to your pillow as a cheap way to find out if you like them. Given how much I save by avoiding hairdressers and styling gunk, the pillow cases I bought seemed like a bargain.

pepperminttea
August 31st, 2011, 06:21 AM
Definitely worth it. So much less morning frizz and matting! I actually prefer how cotton feels to sleep on, but I stick with silk pillowcases now since it makes morning detangling so much easier.

Jcv-Shelley
August 31st, 2011, 06:29 AM
I've definitely had less bed-heads, now if only I could control this frizz I'll be one happy girl...