PDA

View Full Version : I've noticed my hair is thicker

GabrielleRose
August 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
My hair used to be very thick when I was younger up until I had a horrible thinning accident when I was 15. So from then up to now my hair was thin, but I have recently gotten a haircut (a horrible one at that IMO) and have started using Toadstoolsoap products. I was wondering, could the haircut have brought back my thickness since all the layers were cut off, or could it be the products I'm using now?

Madora
August 30th, 2011, 02:52 PM
My hair used to be very thick when I was younger up until I had a horrible thinning accident when I was 15. So from then up to now my hair was thin, but I have recently gotten a haircut (a horrible one at that IMO) and have started using Toadstoolsoap products. I was wondering, could the haircut have brought back my thickness since all the layers were cut off, or could it be the products I'm using now?

I'd say your hair appears thicker now that it is rid of the layers and has a more of all one length appearance.

Products can only temporarily coat the strands to give the appearance of thickness.

agoddess2die4
August 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I've never had a lot of hair loss, I'm sorry you went through that, but I have noticed that, since I stopped dying, heat styling (except maybe once or twice a month tops), and have been cutting out my layers that my hair looks soooo much thicker. Especially the layers part. I'd have layers all the way from around chin length (all throughout my hair, not just in front) down to bsl. With my fine hair that was probably more than a little overkill. But now the layering is becoming much more moderate and all of a sudden it seems like I have so much more hair.

jojo
August 30th, 2011, 03:05 PM
There is more bulk in one length hair, than there is in layered hair so its the cut that has given you your optimum thickness.

No product can thicken the hair per say, all products can do is coat the hair shaft causing the illusion of extra thickness.

ETA= just seen Madora's response, hey great minds think alike!

GabrielleRose
August 30th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'd say your hair appears thicker now that it is rid of the layers and has a more of all one length appearance.

Products can only temporarily coat the strands to give the appearance of thickness.

Thank you.

So, does that mean my thickness hasn't really come back then?

I am glad to hear it has nothing to do with the products, because I am wanting to try something else.

I've never had a lot of hair loss, I'm sorry you went through that, but I have noticed that, since I stopped dying, heat styling (except maybe once or twice a month tops), and have been cutting out my layers that my hair looks soooo much thicker. Especially the layers part. I'd have layers all the way from around chin length (all throughout my hair, not just in front) down to bsl. With my fine hair that was probably more than a little overkill. But now the layering is becoming much more moderate and all of a sudden it seems like I have so much more hair.

Thank you! It was really horrible when I had my hair thinned out. :( The first time it looked good and the second time OH NO!!! I cried...

I have fine hair as well, but I don't dye it even though years ago I had got black streaks put into it and I rarely heat style as well. But your hair looks so THICK and GORGEOUS in your photo. I love it! ;)

There is more bulk in one length hair, than there is in layered hair so its the cut that has given you your optimum thickness.

No product can thicken the hair per say, all products can do is coat the hair shaft causing the illusion of extra thickness.

ETA= just seen Madora's response, hey great minds think alike!

Thank you, and I'm glad it is not the products because I would like to try some other products.

GabrielleRose
August 30th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Here you can tell the difference in thickness.

Before:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2d1llzm.jpg

Now:
http://i53.tinypic.com/rs7aer.jpg

lastnite
August 30th, 2011, 10:53 PM
if it was right after the cut, then yes it is due to the cut. if it gradually started to thicken over 1-3++ months then it could be the products.

cheshire90
August 30th, 2011, 11:14 PM
The haircut did the trick

MissManda
August 30th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I am terribly sorry to hear about your horrible experience in your other thread, but look at the results! Your hair might not be as long, but your hemline looks gorgeous and full. :flower: Now it's going to look even better when it gets back to your original length.

GabrielleRose
August 31st, 2011, 12:27 PM
if it was right after the cut, then yes it is due to the cut. if it gradually started to thicken over 1-3++ months then it could be the products.

I believe it thickened due to the cut and the products as well. Though I've only used the toadstool products for a week I tried another product last night and though my hair was still thick looking it wasn't as full as when I use Toadstool. Toadstool is my HG!!!

GabrielleRose
August 31st, 2011, 12:28 PM
The haircut did the trick

It sure did! It got rid of my icky layers!

GabrielleRose
August 31st, 2011, 12:34 PM
I am terribly sorry to hear about your horrible experience in your other thread, but look at the results! Your hair might not be as long, but your hemline looks gorgeous and full. :flower: Now it's going to look even better when it gets back to your original length.

Thank you! The results are pretty awesome, but the way she had styled it made me feel horrible. :( Thank you for the wonderful compliment on my hemline. I hope I can keep it healthy to reach that length while maintaining the thickness and fullness. :D

vanillabones
August 31st, 2011, 12:41 PM
It looks SO full now I love that you got it all one length. I think that's definitely what it is! Your hair looks so so thick! My hair is fine too, having layers is very annoying :( but I have no length to cut it all back to one length even, otherwise I would - right now. :-P

GabrielleRose
August 31st, 2011, 01:44 PM
It looks SO full now I love that you got it all one length. I think that's definitely what it is! Your hair looks so so thick! My hair is fine too, having layers is very annoying :( but I have no length to cut it all back to one length even, otherwise I would - right now. :-P

Thank you! I had bee wanting it at 1 length ever since I regretted my layers. Layers is quite annoying! They look nice when you first get them and then they look stringy on me when they start to grow out. :( Your hair is so CUTE!!! It bet it will be so gorgeous once it grows longer and then you can join me in being one length. :)

vanillabones
August 31st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Thank you! I had bee wanting it at 1 length ever since I regretted my layers. Layers is quite annoying! They look nice when you first get them and then they look stringy on me when they start to grow out. :( Your hair is so CUTE!!! It bet it will be so gorgeous once it grows longer and then you can join me in being one length. :)

You are very welcome and thank you for the comments on my pictures they mean a lot to me. Thank you for the compliment :D I've always hated my hair this site makes me feel so much better. Can't wait to join you in one-length land.

ratgirldjh
August 31st, 2011, 02:09 PM
It could also be that the products you are now using are more gentle and you are not shedding as much. I noticed this when I switched to soap from detergent shampoo.

BlazingHeart
August 31st, 2011, 03:58 PM
When you say a 'thinning accident', do you mean a stylist used thinning shears on your hair, or otherwise mechanically thinned your hair?

If that's the case, then what you are dealing with is hair that has been cut to all different lengths. It's kind of like having layers cut through all of your hair, on all levels - a lot of the hair is cut off shorter, only some of the hair is left long. So as your hair grows and you trim out the remainder of the hair that was left long, your normal thickness would reassert itself.

Products will give you the illusion of thickness; if your hair feels thicker with the toadstool products it could simply be that your hair was weighed down by other products you had been using that don't get along as well with your hair. If it's actually plumping up individual strands, watch for damage in the long run. If it's just making your hair fluffier, it should be safe. As popular as toadstool stuff is around here, I suspect it'll be the safer stuff.

~Blaze

GabrielleRose
August 31st, 2011, 04:25 PM
You are very welcome and thank you for the comments on my pictures they mean a lot to me. Thank you for the compliment :D I've always hated my hair this site makes me feel so much better. Can't wait to join you in one-length land.

No need to thank me, because your pictures are quite lovely. :) I hope you will continue to post more of your progress and cute hair accessories. I've always hated my hair and still do, I guess it is because I am so impatient and want it longer. Hopefully I will learn to love my hair. I can't wait till you join "one-length land", I'm sure you will fall in love with your hair all over again. ;)

It could also be that the products you are now using are more gentle and you are not shedding as much. I noticed this when I switched to soap from detergent shampoo.

I was thinking this, because last night I used a chemical laden product which caused slight burning and itchiness and flat hair. I'm sticking to my toadstool. :)

When you say a 'thinning accident', do you mean a stylist used thinning shears on your hair, or otherwise mechanically thinned your hair?

If that's the case, then what you are dealing with is hair that has been cut to all different lengths. It's kind of like having layers cut through all of your hair, on all levels - a lot of the hair is cut off shorter, only some of the hair is left long. So as your hair grows and you trim out the remainder of the hair that was left long, your normal thickness would reassert itself.

Products will give you the illusion of thickness; if your hair feels thicker with the toadstool products it could simply be that your hair was weighed down by other products you had been using that don't get along as well with your hair. If it's actually plumping up individual strands, watch for damage in the long run. If it's just making your hair fluffier, it should be safe. As popular as toadstool stuff is around here, I suspect it'll be the safer stuff.

~Blaze

It was thinned out by a stylist with shears. I also forgot to mention I was bulimic a few years back and I'm pretty sure that attributed to thinning, because I remember a lot of hair all over the bathtub.

I guess all the other products I had been using really weighed down my hair, because as soon as I used the toadstool products I got amazing body back. I don't see it plumping up my strands, but it is making my hair fluffier.

Yame
August 31st, 2011, 04:50 PM
The recent haircut and having your hair be all one length is what is giving it the appearance of being thicker/fuller.

When you joined LHC, did you measure your circumference to determine your thickness? If so, why don't you just measure it again and see if there has been an increase? That would help answer your question.

McFearless
August 31st, 2011, 05:12 PM
I love your haircut. Why don't you like it? I think the blunt hemline helped, but the roots look honestly thicker to me. Are Toadstool soaps gentle? With few chemicals? Maybe they decreased your shedding and triggered regrowth. Harsh shampoos can increase shedding and cause hairloss. Congrats on your e.d recovery I'm very happy for you. :)

GabrielleRose
September 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM
I love your haircut. Why don't you like it? I think the blunt hemline helped, but the roots look honestly thicker to me. Are Toadstool soaps gentle? With few chemicals? Maybe they decreased your shedding and triggered regrowth. Harsh shampoos can increase shedding and cause hairloss. Congrats on your e.d recovery I'm very happy for you. :)

I didn't like it at first because it was really short to me when all I wanted was a trim. But thank you for loving it! I am starting to love it because of the fullness it has given me. So, my roots look thicker? In which picture? As for the toadstool soaps I find them very gentle, because I tried a chemical laden product and boy did it burn and made my hair feel coated! As soon as I washed with toadstool it went away and the fullness came back. Thank you for the congrats!

GabrielleRose
September 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM
The recent haircut and having your hair be all one length is what is giving it the appearance of being thicker/fuller.

When you joined LHC, did you measure your circumference to determine your thickness? If so, why don't you just measure it again and see if there has been an increase? That would help answer your question.

Thank you.

I did do a measure when I first joined and it varied from 2.75-3. I have yet to measure it again, but I will and I'll go from there.