PDA

View Full Version : Middle Ages/medieval influence on your long hair?

arielágua
August 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm and Middle Ages addict, and obviously has the title might give a hint, my hair is 100% influenced by the medieval times.
I want to wear it long, like the women of those times.
I also get influence for the clothes and jewelry.
8th to 12th century might be my favorite.
Celtic and nordic cultures might get mixed in the way too.
So what about you?
Do you get influence from MA in your hair's length or something totally different?

Di
:eyebrows:

:cheese: fighting hair loss with happiness :cheese:

Unzadi
August 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I was raised on Camelot and Robin Hood, and I do think the middle ages influence is part of why long hair always looked/felt right to me.

Sheltie_Momma
August 31st, 2011, 09:20 AM
I am definitely influenced, but I'm not sure if I'm influenced by historical fact or cultural fantasy. I mean I'm a middle aged mom, live in the burbs, work at a conservative bank - I NEED to be a princess (at least in my own mind!!!)

Viscountess
August 31st, 2011, 09:28 AM
In the real middle ages, hair was covered when out in public. The fantasy images of Rennaisance wormen (both painted by the Italian masters and later in the mid Victorian period) with long flowing locks isn't really what women in the middle ages looked like - but it is pretty!

Calaelen
August 31st, 2011, 09:35 AM
Middle ages are certainly an influence for me. In style sometimes as well.

Curly Hermione
August 31st, 2011, 09:35 AM
I love the hair in medieval tv shows/films etc. I think it's just gorgeous. I loved watching Camelot recently because of the hair, it was even kind of realistic. Sort of, i mean, they showed Gwen washing her hair in a basin in her room, how i imagine lots of people would have.
Merlin is a great show for hair, i just drool over Gwens curls and Morganas and Morgauses waves. It's a great show for medieval curly inspiration!

arielágua
August 31st, 2011, 11:44 AM
I've studied medieval costumes in women, and as you said many women would wear it covered in public, but there were some hairstyles, where noble women would expose their hair in two long braids with a veil. That hairstyle shows off how long their hair was.
Something like this: http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/images/matilda-of-flanders.jpg
And they wouldn't wear it always covered, that was more for ladies who were already married or older.
Ladies, if "virgin", in their wedding day could marry with loose hair beneath the veil.
Also, there's lots of medieval hairstyles without covering.
I have books about it. :)

arielágua
August 31st, 2011, 11:53 AM
"I am definitely influenced, but I'm not sure if I'm influenced by historical fact or cultural fantasy. I mean I'm a middle aged mom, live in the burbs, work at a conservative bank - I NEED to be a princess (at least in my own mind!!!)"

hehe I understand
but most fictional and cultural fantasy are based in medieval realist times.
The Mists of Avalon, Juliet Marillier books, are influenced by those times, the costumes, the architecture etc. Of course there were no dragons and fairies in MA time, but people of those times, would dream and talk about monsters, because they were somehow ignorant, and stories of fantasy were spread.
I still think, though I'm not 100% sure, Lord of the Rings has a lot of inspiration of Middle Ages time.
I'm talking about the beginning of MA of course, which started about the 5th century, Late Antiquity.
I don't like the late Middle Age so much, the art and way of living becomes a bit different.

Rhodugune
September 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
It was almost the other way around for me, I always have had long hair, no fringe and no modern kind of hairstyle.

Then when I meet some friends, a couple of years ago, who was interested in medieval times, going to medieval festvals and such, I immediate felt it was my thing
to. :)

And my hairstyle fitted right in too! :D
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_35/31840000-31849999/640x480/31849578.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic31849578)

Merewen
September 1st, 2011, 10:04 PM
I have long hair because I like long hair.

However, I am finding myself involved the local Society for Creative Anachronism, and the long hair is perfect there (even if I cover it with a veil).

Mairéad
September 1st, 2011, 10:11 PM
As an Irish fiddle player I just feel like I need some bad ass Celtic red hair when I jump around playing reels.

Loreley
September 1st, 2011, 11:31 PM
I like the Middle Ages. :) What I like even more is the Victorian era. But both have influenced me to grow my hair long. :D

Rosetta
September 2nd, 2011, 03:07 AM
Yes, there's a lot of medieval influence on my love for long hair, I'm sure. Middle Ages has always been my favourite time in history (especially early Middle Ages), I love medieval clothes and the hair styles as well... Pictures like this are a major hair growing inspiration to me: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqJ,!l4E4kuy9,z0BOUYFT7dTw~~48_12.JPG

(Even though, as has been said, women mostly covered their hair in public at that time, which is not an inspiration to me, so maybe my inspiration is based more on fantasy than the actual reality, too ;))

SwordWomanRiona
September 2nd, 2011, 03:33 AM
I like Middle Ages female clothing minus all the headdresses and veils, which I found disgusting because of all the patriarchal repression against women. Even if the hair is more or less seen sometimes (the two braids with the veil you mentioned), I generally can't stand a veil :mad:. I like fantasy Middle Ages much more than real Middle Ages, definitely.

My influence for having long hair (and for everything, really!) is mainly Celtic (some Scandinavian influence too, I guess). Celtic female warriors with long - loose or braided - hair, tunics and cloaks, swords, penannular brooches, all that kind of thing:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/Rhiannons_birds/BoudiccadgWarriorQueen.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--TosAEeV2iU/TckbVjbNYaI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/Gd81f5V9lqE/s1600/boudicca.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jezebel/2009/07/Boudicca.jpg
http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/gallery/maeve.jpg
Pauline Gedge's The Eagle and the Raven describes Sword-women (Celtic women warriors) with waist length to knee length hair, thick and beautiful. That is a great inspiration for me :D.

And, of course, the Tolkien influence: I've always loved Elves' long hair, and Éowyn's, of course :)

Rhodugune
September 2nd, 2011, 03:48 AM
As an Irish fiddle player I just feel like I need some bad ass Celtic red hair when I jump around playing reels.

You are so right!
I love to see that. :cheese:

kouran
September 2nd, 2011, 04:36 AM
I think the Middle Ages definitely influenced me having long hair...I mean, my mother used to read me Tolkien by bedtime when I was little, and when I started reading myself, I read the Mists of Avalon, so I couldn't really escape of long hair :) .

But I have to agree with SwordWomanRiona, fantasy Middle Ages are better than the real Middle Ages.

Aveyronnaise
September 2nd, 2011, 05:12 AM
Okay so first I want to ask if people tend to think Celtic = Irish ? Because I live in a highly gorgeous and Celtic area of Southern France it's actually on the ancient border of Narbonne and Celtica but it's such a cool place with lots of Dolmens , more than in Britannia in fact . There were plenty of awesome druids here too. I just feel like France gets left out of the modern interpretation of what is Celtic.
Anyhow I fell in love with the Victorian illustrations of Howard Pyle when I was a kid, he did Arthurian legends and other stories. I like Medieval era but I think I like Victoriana even better.

kouran
September 2nd, 2011, 05:31 AM
Okay so first I want to ask if people tend to think Celtic = Irish ? Because I live in a highly gorgeous and Celtic area of Southern France it's actually on the ancient border of Narbonne and Celtica but it's such a cool place with lots of Dolmens , more than in Britannia in fact . There were plenty of awesome druids here too. I just feel like France gets left out of the modern interpretation of what is Celtic.
Anyhow I fell in love with the Victorian illustrations of Howard Pyle when I was a kid, he did Arthurian legends and other stories. I like Medieval era but I think I like Victoriana even better.

I also live in an area with many hill forts and cromlechs where celtic artifacts where found, our regional jewelry is similar to celtic jewelry, and men play bagpipes as well, so I definitely don't think celtic = irish.

florenonite
September 2nd, 2011, 06:46 AM
I've studied medieval costumes in women, and as you said many women would wear it covered in public, but there were some hairstyles, where noble women would expose their hair in two long braids with a veil. That hairstyle shows off how long their hair was.
Something like this: http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/images/matilda-of-flanders.jpg
And they wouldn't wear it always covered, that was more for ladies who were already married or older.
Ladies, if "virgin", in their wedding day could marry with loose hair beneath the veil.

I was under the impression that the wedding veil is actually a substitute for long, loose hair. Virgins would marry with their hair flowing loose, but in later eras when either updos or shorter hair were more popular the veil became a replacement for virgins.

I'm more influenced by fantasy mediaeval than real mediaeval hairstyles. I am fascinated by the Middle Ages (as well as the Enlightenment and the Victorian and Edwardian eras), but the Lord of the Rings films seem to have more intricate hairstyles involving the actual hair than I've seen in real mediaeval images, which seem to be more likely to be single braids with a veil or braided buns.

SwordWomanRiona
September 2nd, 2011, 08:49 AM

No! Of course I see Brittany as a Celtic region, the same as Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the isle of Man and Cornwall. I'd love to visit Brittany! I want to learn a bit of Breton too, as soon as I can :).

Aveyronnaise
September 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM
It's good to know people are including France too:) We are much farther south in the department of Aveyron , it's not very known by Americans but I swear it's the one of the coolest places in France !

I should add though , we have a high amount of red heads in our department ....

ohdokey
September 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
My hair interest is not influenced by the historical middle ages necessarily, but more so by the myths and fairy tales rooted in those times. I love the princess look for hair and a natural face.

irishlady
September 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
For me it's a mix of things, but yes definitely inspired by history. Not only only Medieval history, but also Celtic history and mythology.

Besides that, Tolkien lol, and although I'm not growing it for religious reasons, I feel it does make me feel a bit closer to God.

arielágua
September 3rd, 2011, 04:08 AM

Ha I live in Portugal, and before the Romans came here and conquer whatever they wanted we had a celtic people living here, the Lusitanian people. I identify myself with celtic too, I said that in my first message, they are such an amazing culture. :)

kouran
September 3rd, 2011, 04:28 AM
Ha I live in Portugal, and before the Romans came here and conquer whatever they wanted we had a celtic people living here, the Lusitanian people. I identify myself with celtic too, I said that in my first message, they are such an amazing culture. :)

Not just Lusitani: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Ethnographic_Iberia_200_BCE.PNG :p

florenonite
September 3rd, 2011, 04:30 AM
It's good to know people are including France too:) We are much farther south in the department of Aveyron , it's not very known by Americans but I swear it's the one of the coolest places in France !

I should add though , we have a high amount of red heads in our department ....

You're only a few hours from Foix, aren't you? I ask because when my sister went there she stood out with her paler-than-pale Scottish complexion; all the natives had dark hair and olive skin. I presume Aveyron has a Celtic population lacking in Foix, but I still find it intriguing in two places so nearby.

Aveyronnaise
September 3rd, 2011, 04:32 AM
arielágua- That's cool I actually didn't know about that culture in Portugal , I think it is a mainly an American thing to associate Celtic with just Irish, and that's okay I'm not irritated or anything :)

Aveyronnaise
September 3rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
You're only a few hours from Foix, aren't you? I ask because when my sister went there she stood out with her paler-than-pale Scottish complexion; all the natives had dark hair and olive skin. I presume Aveyron has a Celtic population lacking in Foix, but I still find it intriguing in two places so nearby.
Yup I am somewhat close to Foix , but yes people for some reason right in my area have a lot of red hair , the city of Rodez was settled but the Rutinaii ( I'm totally spelling that wrong ) but it meant copper haired people , Guys seem to have a lot of red beards too. Some of the redheads here don't have that classic red head complexion too.
Aveyron is like it's own planet in France, but weirdly a lot of things associated with France abroad come from here like Aveyronnais started basically all of the classic cafés in Paris .
My DH used to play word games about Foix when he was a little kid :)

arielágua
September 3rd, 2011, 04:57 AM
arielágua- That's cool I actually didn't know about that culture in Portugal , I think it is a mainly an American thing to associate Celtic with just Irish, and that's okay I'm not irritated or anything :)

Oh that's ok! Don't worry, we are here to share stuff!
And apparently I've learnt something new too today. LadyKouran just showed us a map of Iberian Peninsula, with lots of celtic people. I only had knowledge of Lusitanian. :)
Cool.:cool:

kouran
September 3rd, 2011, 05:14 AM
Oh that's ok! Don't worry, we are here to share stuff!
And apparently I've learnt something new too today. LadyKouran just showed us a map of Iberian Peninsula, with lots of celtic people. I only had knowledge of Lusitanian. :)
Cool.:cool:

arielágua, if you want to see pictures of one of these pre-Roman settlements just check my LHC blog! (you need more than 25 posts to do that) :D

Panth
September 3rd, 2011, 05:23 AM
Meh, I love the medieval era - the second half of the C14th is my particular favourite - but I'm not sure my hair is due to that. I've just always had it that way and, if anything, was inspired by fantasy elves rather than medieval ladies.

However, I have been reenacting for a bit now - first thing I got told when I turned up to a meet was "ooh, you've got medieval hair". I just realised that in the last year (having joined LHC) I've now no longer got true medieval hair (as opposed to fantasy medieval hair). My hair is now longer than even the 'ideal' women drawn in manuscripts...

(Incidentally, unlike others, I rather like the medieval veils. Yes, they are highly wrapped up in the antifeminist culture of the time ... but they can also be practical and/or beautiful. You only need look at the C15th to see that women took them and made them their own, using them as one of the major fashion features of the century.)

Gypsygirl
September 3rd, 2011, 06:11 AM
I adore the preraphaelites.

ravenreed
September 3rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
While I love researching clothing etc. of the medieval and renaissance eras, mostly the hair was covered. So that didn't really have much of an impact on my decision to grow my hair long. In fact, it was easier to deal with my hair at Ren Faires when it was shorter. I would just stuff it in a muffin cap or snood and go on with life. Once it got longer, it would pool in the bottom and push the cap/snood off my head.

arielágua
September 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
arielágua, if you want to see pictures of one of these pre-Roman settlements just check my LHC blog! (you need more than 25 posts to do that) :D

OH what a shame! i don't have a enough posts I guess, cause I can't access your profile.
I so want to see it.:rolleyes:

Venefica
September 7th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I have always been interested in the middle ages, well any historical period up to and including the Victorian era. I am also extremely interested in fantasy literature, computer games, books and so on, which is often set in a pseudo medieval setting, have such interests given me my sole reason to have long hair, no, but it have influenced it allot definitely. :D

Aveyronnaise
September 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
This is a tangent but , well okay it's about our area and how there are lots of redheads here... My son started preschool and there are 4 redheaded kids in a class of 18 ! So weird.

chachagrace
September 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I'm reading Mists of Avalon and it is definitely having an influence on my hair growing will power!

arielágua
September 9th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I'm reading Mists of Avalon and it is definitely having an influence on my hair growing will power!

LOL my favorite books! Read them read them! You won't regret it, I assure you.
Morganne is definitely a great influential character in my way of living, I so identify with her.

:beerchug:

Honeylove
September 9th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Yes. I'd like to add that unmarried young women usually wore their hair uncovered and braided or sometimes even loose in public. You may want to take a look at some images from the Codex Manesse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse):

http://www.revivalclothing.com/images/misc/Manesse1.jpg

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/presse/news04/2412ub.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j_8XKG7WXBA/S-B36dxXq4I/AAAAAAAAAM8/SY_Uxx_ydtg/s400/Codex_Manesse_Die_Winsbekin%5B1%5D.jpg

Keep in mind, though, that the medieval era lasted some 900 years and that there were a lot of countries and smaller districts in Europe and they all differed from each other, just as they do nowadays. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But clothing, hairstyles and style regulations set by church and / or the ruling class were rarely the same in two different areas. Let alone during the whole era!

So you will surely find rules for hair to be covered in a certain time period and / or area; but you might as well find other habits in another century or another part of Europe.

arielágua
September 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Yes. I'd like to add that unmarried young women usually wore their hair uncovered and braided or sometimes even loose in public. You may want to take a look at some images from the Codex Manesse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse):

http://www.revivalclothing.com/images/misc/Manesse1.jpg

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/presse/news04/2412ub.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j_8XKG7WXBA/S-B36dxXq4I/AAAAAAAAAM8/SY_Uxx_ydtg/s400/Codex_Manesse_Die_Winsbekin%5B1%5D.jpg

Keep in mind, though, that the medieval era lasted some 900 years and that there were a lot of countries and smaller districts in Europe and they all differed from each other, just as they do nowadays. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But clothing, hairstyles and style regulations set by church and / or the ruling class were rarely the same in two different areas. Let alone during the whole era!

So you will surely find rules for hair to be covered in a certain time period and / or area; but you might as well find other habits in another century or another part of Europe.

Yes I heard about Codex Manesse. Never did a deep research about it though. :( Shame on me

I used the second image for a work of mine actually, is such a beautiful image!
The book I have, shows the costumes and hairstyle's differences between countries and areas. I'm aware of it.
What I was trying to say, and of course I'm not sure, because I did not live in MA, but for my knowledge, not all women wore veils all the time in order to cover their hair. The idea that I have and what I learnt (maybe wrong) is that the veil was something wore more by married and older women, to show some maturity and "respect". I did not know that the veil was actually an inspiration of the virgin loose hair, like someone mentioned in this thread.

I have pictures that show young women with full loose hair whether they're noble or not, with small braids ornamenting. I also mentioned the Early Middle Ages period, which is my favorite. I'm also aware of the long period MA was. But I find 6th to 10th more interesting, not only in hair and costumes, but everything. :)

Since I'm an art student I might have also been deceived by the few pieces of art of the time, that sometimes represent not the reality but symbols and metaphors and ladies with extreme long hair. xD

Anyway I love it, mystic or real, it all counts to me, it was their imagination and creative world.

By the way if anyone is interested the book I own is by The Pepin Press Encyclopedia Visual Costume. It's very interesting for costume freaks like me. xD

Cheers
:beerchug:

Honeylove
September 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM
arielágua, my post was not specifically aimed at you, although I quoted you. I justed wanted to add what I know about the subject as an information for everyone. :)

Thanks for the book title! This is definitley interesting for me as I've got a general interest in historical fashion. :)

ravenreed
September 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I would like to point out that during the middle ages, marriage for women happened much younger than it does today... Young, unmarried women, by our standards, would be very young indeed.

Neneka
September 10th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Oh, I can't say that Middle Ages inspired me with growing my hair but this thread is still very interesting.

florenonite
September 10th, 2011, 04:07 AM

Ooh, I'm about to start that book :D

I would like to point out that during the middle ages, marriage for women happened much younger than it does today... Young, unmarried women, by our standards, would be very young indeed.

It's true it happened very young in the nobility (12 was the minimum age for women, 14 for men, at least in England), and most information we have about lifestyle and hair come from the nobility. I'm not sure about the rest of the population, though. They most likely married younger than the current mid- to late-twenties average because of shorter life expectancies, but probably more likely in the late-teens and early-twenties - young, but no younger than many people today.

ETA: I'm sure the actual figures are available somewhere (though it would be a generalisation or for a specific place and time), but I do remember reading that the peasantry tended to marry later than the nobility. I'm sure this was for matters of practicality. The nobility tended to marry young to cement alliances, whereas for the peasantry a later marriage was more advantageous. It meant the children were available to help their parents for longer, and they didn't marry until they were capable of bearing children; women tended to menstruate later in the Middle Ages, especially, one would imagine, the peasantry who were more likely to be involved in hard physical labour.

arielágua
September 10th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Yes woman, especially noble ones used to marry early, like florenonite mention. :)
But I don't think, I don't know...it's hard for me to believe that they were covered all the time with veils. I guess that was more for a public reason...?no? I guess maybe at their homes and privacy they would wear hair uncovered. :D

celebriangel
September 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I certainly love the aesthetic of "medieval" hair and clothes - the sort in LOTR, Game of Thrones, etc.

How close is this to the actual medieval period? Um, probably not very. Nevermind. I love all that stuff anyway :D

SwordWomanRiona
September 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Yes. Women married at fourteen or even earlier. So they didn't have a lot of time to go barehead and/or wear their hair loose, did they? :mad:

arielágua
September 14th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I certainly love the aesthetic of "medieval" hair and clothes - the sort in LOTR, Game of Thrones, etc.

How close is this to the actual medieval period? Um, probably not very. Nevermind. I love all that stuff anyway :D

Game of Thrones!!!! :cheer: :cheer::eyebrows:

I think it has a little bit of medieval. Most fantasy probably.
But it's still a very great series

WinterButterfly
September 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I thought that part of the reason for the partial head coverings was because not many people could bathe regularly. I probably like the fanticy image better than the reality. I am married and I wouldn't want to wear a veil or head covering all the time.
And a lot of us from the U.S.A. (I can't speak for canada or mexico as they are other parts of america) do think of irish when we think of celts. But you have to keep in mind that we have to memorise tons of states in school. My own country is kind of big, and even though it hasn't been around a long time compared to other contries, we do have our own history. Unless one specialises in european history, we don't learn a huge ammount about it. We learn basic geography of the world. It just makes sence that a person would know a lot more about where they live than someone who has never been there. I am from washingtion origionally. But I have lived in another state for a few years. In wa, we seem to get a never ending lesson on the louis and clark trail. And we have manditory washingtion state history classes to pass high school. In any other state, you will not have to learn detailed washingtion state history. But you will probably have to learn about the histroy of the state you are in. You see, I don't know the history of chilli. I don't know the history of zimbabwe (I don't actually know the correct spelling either) and I don't know the history of china (except for the coming of communism part.) I guess it bothers me when generlizations are made about my country and my people. I know a lot of them are callouse and at times rude. But they are my people, and this is my country. Sorry if I ranted too long.

Aveyronnaise
September 14th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I thought that part of the reason for the partial head coverings was because not many people could bathe regularly. I probably like the fanticy image better than the reality. I am married and I wouldn't want to wear a veil or head covering all the time.
And a lot of us from the U.S.A. (I can't speak for canada or mexico as they are other parts of america) do think of irish when we think of celts. But you have to keep in mind that we have to memorise tons of states in school. My own country is kind of big, and even though it hasn't been around a long time compared to other contries, we do have our own history. Unless one specialises in european history, we don't learn a huge ammount about it. We learn basic geography of the world. It just makes sence that a person would know a lot more about where they live than someone who has never been there. I am from washingtion origionally. But I have lived in another state for a few years. In wa, we seem to get a never ending lesson on the louis and clark trail. And we have manditory washingtion state history classes to pass high school. In any other state, you will not have to learn detailed washingtion state history. But you will probably have to learn about the histroy of the state you are in. You see, I don't know the history of chilli. I don't know the history of zimbabwe (I don't actually know the correct spelling either) and I don't know the history of china (except for the coming of communism part.) I guess it bothers me when generlizations are made about my country and my people. I know a lot of them are callouse and at times rude. But they are my people, and this is my country. Sorry if I ranted too long.
Yeah, I asked about Americans perceiving Celtic as being Irish, I'm American. I live abroad.

florenonite
September 14th, 2011, 08:52 AM

I'm sorry, I don't buy the 'my country is big' as an excuse for only knowing your own nation's history, for the simple fact that American history is tied into European history. My country is bigger than the US (three guesses which one it is ;) ) and we still needed to understand things like the Highland Clearances (which involved Celtic peoples) in order to understand immigration to Canada in the 19th century. This isn't a criticism about the country or a generalisation, I simply think that if you're going to learn American history you have to have some understanding of British and European history, as if you're going to learn British history you have to have an understanding of Scottish, English, Welsh and Northern Irish/Irish history. ETA: This means I think that teachers should be teaching this sort of thing; when I studied Scottish history at uni we had several classes that discussed English history, because it was necessary to understand things that were going on in Scotland.

Rhodugune
September 14th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I love the way you think, we are all a part of each others history, and it's important to know that.
It makes understanding different cultures and people more easy and makes us more aware that we are connected, and that is not us vs them.

No man is an island, entire of itself
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
it tolls for thee.

WinterButterfly
September 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM
We know more than our nations history. We just don't know all the details of every country in the worlds history. We know more about the time period when the usa broke off from brittian and became its own nation. But details of ancient histories are not often given. I don't expect an irish or brittish person to know all the tribes of native americans and their general locations on the map or their religious beliefs and details of the way they dressed. A good chunk of my people didn't decend from european ancestry. Should I know the names of the waring factions in feudal japan? I am interested, but it was never taugt in my high school. What bothers me is when all of my country is expected to know something about another countries pre modern history when that knowledge doesn't affect them in their daily lives. My people may be arrogant and sometimes dumb. But they are my people. But it doesn't make sence to expect someone outside your own country to know certain things. I don't want the citizens of my country looked down upon because of something they were never taught. It is hard to be the one told that you have been overlooked. But what I am saying is that not only is this country a bit large and a lot to remember, but so is the general history of the world. It is easy to not know much detail of one of the many countries in the world. I didn't look down on my irish friends when they thought all americans were cowboys. I was confused for a moment when I had to explain why I didn't want a cowboy hat. But they aren't from my country, so there are things they won't know, and odd ideas that they will have. It is perfectly normal. It is normal not to know a lot of details about places you didn't grow up in. A few weeks ago I recently learned some of the history of the town I now live in. It isn't wrong to expect manners from people. It isn't wrong to expect general knowledge of current events and a little bit about how they got that way. But a good portion of thevknowledge of the history of the world before ww1 isn't relevent when we think about todays global economy. I bet there is a lot of U.S. history that isn't relevent to the rest of the world either. I don't expect people outside my country to know it.

Aveyronnaise
September 15th, 2011, 12:12 AM
We know more than our nations history. We just don't know all the details of every country in the worlds history. We know more about the time period when the usa broke off from brittian and became its own nation. But details of ancient histories are not often given. I don't expect an irish or brittish person to know all the tribes of native americans and their general locations on the map or their religious beliefs and details of the way they dressed. A good chunk of my people didn't decend from european ancestry. Should I know the names of the waring factions in feudal japan? I am interested, but it was never taugt in my high school. What bothers me is when all of my country is expected to know something about another countries pre modern history when that knowledge doesn't affect them in their daily lives. My people may be arrogant and sometimes dumb. But they are my people. But it doesn't make sence to expect someone outside your own country to know certain things. I don't want the citizens of my country looked down upon because of something they were never taught. It is hard to be the one told that you have been overlooked. But what I am saying is that not only is this country a bit large and a lot to remember, but so is the general history of the world. It is easy to not know much detail of one of the many countries in the world. I didn't look down on my irish friends when they thought all americans were cowboys. I was confused for a moment when I had to explain why I didn't want a cowboy hat. But they aren't from my country, so there are things they won't know, and odd ideas that they will have. It is perfectly normal. It is normal not to know a lot of details about places you didn't grow up in. A few weeks ago I recently learned some of the history of the town I now live in. It isn't wrong to expect manners from people. It isn't wrong to expect general knowledge of current events and a little bit about how they got that way. But a good portion of thevknowledge of the history of the world before ww1 isn't relevent when we think about todays global economy. I bet there is a lot of U.S. history that isn't relevent to the rest of the world either. I don't expect people outside my country to know it.

First of all you must not be reading the responses very thoroughly, because I stated that I am the person that asked about people referring to Celtic as Irish and I am American , I live abroad.
Secondly, I wasn't attacking anyone I was asking about it because Celtic culture is actually mostly european by geography and I wondered if people mostly associated it to Ireland. It ended up being a cool question because some of us ended up sharing information and learning some interesting facts . It was a question intending to open up discussion not censure.
In regards to your other comments about how you shouldn't be expected to learn about Europe, or your own culture outside of the US , because it's big ? Or because they don't teach it in school ?
Wow , I don't even know what to say about that . I have always had some curiosity about different topics so I read outside of my school subjects. I never was satisfied by what I learned in school. I would hear about something interesting in class and then go to the library or online and followup .
I also like to read for pleasure. Half of my family is from Mexico, and yes I do know a lot about ancient Mexican culture thanks to just a few very excellent books.
As far as knowing what is Celtic , being taught in the US schools , Celtic was a name given by the Romans when they began to conquer the majority of Europe. It just means ( if i remember correctly ) some thing like a loose band of tribes.It is likely to be taught as part of Roman history which is usually taught even in the US.
I just don't understand how you could take any of the responses from this thread as rude, arrogant or callous as you stated. I think you need to slow down as you read or something. I've lived in Europe for 6 years, I've never had anyone assume I was a cowboy or that I was ignorant. I have had a few jokes made at my expense but that happens in the US as well.

florenonite
September 15th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I love the way you think, we are all a part of each others history, and it's important to know that.
It makes understanding different cultures and people more easy and makes us more aware that we are connected, and that is not us vs them.

No man is an island, entire of itself
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
it tolls for thee.

I love this poem!

Did you learn about the potato famine, or the Highland Clearances? I would expect you did as it is crucial to understanding migration patterns to and within the US. I used the Highland Clearances as an example before, and will again, because it involved one of the larger Celtic groups in Europe and was important in Canadian and American history. To understand these events you need to understand relations between the Celtic peoples of Britain and the English. How else can you understand how thousands of people starved and parliament did nothing? And if you don't understand that, how can you understand why they emigrated to the US?

It isn't comparable to an American knowing about feudal Japan, or a Briton knowing about First Nations groups, because those did not affect American or British history. My point is that this is relevant to American history.

I'm not criticising your people for not knowing these things (though I would have hoped that people would have enough innate curiosity to look things up), but an education system so narrow that it does not teach history that relates to what it is teaching.

arielágua
September 15th, 2011, 10:46 AM
hey people come down xD
everybody is so angry.
That doesn't even has nothing to do with the thread I started.
It's ok if people don't know certain history facts or don't have curiosity in it. This thread is not supposed to be "hey I know more of history than you", as well as not everybody is interested in History, that doesn't make the person more stupid than another.
In fact, I wasn't aware that there were more tribes in Penisula Iberica than the Lusitanians, if it wasn't for another member's post in here. And I'm very interested in history and ancient civilizations. Knowing less doesn't make you less interested.
It's fine to share history facts and so, has long you don't start to freak out with each other. This is not a competition.

:)
peace

arielágua
September 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry, I don't buy the 'my country is big' as an excuse for only knowing your own nation's history, for the simple fact that American history is tied into European history. My country is bigger than the US (three guesses which one it is ;) ) and we still needed to understand things like the Highland Clearances (which involved Celtic peoples) in order to understand immigration to Canada in the 19th century.

France, Ukraine, Russia?? did i guess ??:cheese::cheese::cheese:

redmj
September 15th, 2011, 11:05 AM
For me it was all about the Celtic influences. My favorite historical hero is Queen Boudica. Being a strong, independent, loyal, redhead I can totally relate to her. That being said, there is a definite pull from the medieval fantasy hairstyles.

redmj
September 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
And after reading more of the posts I can comment further. When I think of Celtic anything no I do not only think of Irish or Scottish. Those are the FIRST things I think of simply because my family came from that area. I had no idea that there were celtic cultures spread so far though. I would love to see that part of France (I'm sorry I can't remember the name mentioned). Wait, realistically I would love to see any part of France but that would be my top pick.

C.H.
September 15th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Though I do enjoy the fantasy genre, I don't think the renaissance or medieval aesthetic has had a direct impact on my decision to have long hair. I'm not particularly into history in general, it's just not one of my interests.

I will say, however, that one of the things I like best about my long hair is that it makes me feel princessy. And the romantized notion of a long-haired princess is inherently rooted in historical times, isn't it? I mean, modern princesses certainly don't have TB+ hair, now do they? So I guess my long must be influenced by imagery from the past, even if it's a fantasy/romanticized version.

Also, ever since I saw how many of us long-hairs enjoy renfaires and such, I have been thinking I'd like to go to one. :)

Friesiangirl
September 15th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry, I don't buy the 'my country is big' as an excuse for only knowing your own nation's history, for the simple fact that American history is tied into European history. My country is bigger than the US (three guesses which one it is ;) ) ...

Canada.

Hayley

AnnaJamila
September 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I like long styles from lots and lots of eras and societies, but medieval European does have some neat looks!

AnnaJamila
September 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm sorry, I don't buy the 'my country is big' as an excuse for only knowing your own nation's history, for the simple fact that American history is tied into European history. My country is bigger than the US (three guesses which one it is ;) ) and we still needed to understand things like the Highland Clearances (which involved Celtic peoples) in order to understand immigration to Canada in the 19th century. This isn't a criticism about the country or a generalisation, I simply think that if you're going to learn American history you have to have some understanding of British and European history, as if you're going to learn British history you have to have an understanding of Scottish, English, Welsh and Northern Irish/Irish history. ETA: This means I think that teachers should be teaching this sort of thing; when I studied Scottish history at uni we had several classes that discussed English history, because it was necessary to understand things that were going on in Scotland.

Our school systems are a bit . . . well, let me just say strange. ;) This year you learn the industrial revolution, this year state history, this year the civil war aaaaaaaaaaaaaand this year the rennasaince. It bounces around every year and a LOT falls through the cracks.

I plan to homeschool my kids if possible; I like the idea of having more control over what they learn and being able to teach things in order of occurance.

florenonite
September 16th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Canada.

Hayley

Heh, yup.

Our school systems are a bit . . . well, let me just say strange. ;) This year you learn the industrial revolution, this year state history, this year the civil war aaaaaaaaaaaaaand this year the rennasaince. It bounces around every year and a LOT falls through the cracks.

I plan to homeschool my kids if possible; I like the idea of having more control over what they learn and being able to teach things in order of occurance.

That sounds like an awful way to teach history, because you simply can't isolate one period without having an understanding of what came before it.

Haldir
September 19th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm and Middle Ages addict, and obviously has the title might give a hint, my hair is 100% influenced by the medieval times.
I want to wear it long, like the women of those times.
I also get influence for the clothes and jewelry.
8th to 12th century might be my favorite.
Celtic and nordic cultures might get mixed in the way too.
So what about you?
Do you get influence from MA in your hair's length or something totally different?

Di
:eyebrows:

:cheese: fighting hair loss with happiness :cheese:
Absolutely! My interest in Medieval history basically influenced my entire personality and life .

Hair... I grew it out to as long as possible (butt-length it seems!) because that's how the ladies had it back then, in all sorts of lovely styles. And I was further encouraged to do it after seeing the film adaptations of LotR. :p

It then also sparked my interest in men with very long hair, because men back in the day had long hair (although shoulder-length hair seems to have been the style mostly... I like men with mid-back/hip-length hair) and which now inspires me to value my DBF's long golden hair above all else and to take care of it more than my own, priceless as it is.

Clothing... I mostly wear or am interested in Medieval inspired clothing. For example, modernized Medieval/Gothic styles. And I say modernized because if it was socially acceptable, believe me... I WOULD walk around the streets with a crinoline every day. But nope, we'll just stick with the corsets and pretty skirts! I love when my DBF wears a kilt and/or tunics and furs. Sexiest thing ever. Fortunately he's into all of this odd Medieval stuff just as much as I am.

Even my taste in music is influenced strongly by my interest in Medieval history. I ADORE Medieval music. Always have, since I first remembered listening to music, since it was among one of the first things my mother liked to teach me about (Medieval history and folk mythology from around the world) and it was one of the few things I latched onto immediately. I listened to Medieval and Celtic music exclusively from when I was about 6 until now even - but when I was around 14 or 15, I slowly got into metal (that's my main thing now, instead of Medieval music) through folk metal (Medieval and folk instruments... with heavy metal). Metal's been my life since then, and I listen to folk metal very rarely now (black and thrash are my main genres), but Medieval music and my interest in Medieval history has definitely been a massive gateway for me to everything. Basically the basis of my entire life.

And of course, my DBF adores my long hair and says it makes me look like the most beautiful princess there could ever be. Silly little man. :p

elfgirl
September 19th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Yes! I'd write more, but would go off on a huge awesometastic long tangent about the MA, etc. But yes, it has influenced my love, and growth of long hair.

arielágua
September 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Yes! I'd write more, but would go off on a huge awesometastic long tangent about the MA, etc. But yes, it has influenced my love, and growth of long hair.

Oh you can write whatever you feel! I want to know, I'm a very curious person. ehe :) :cheese:

arielágua
September 19th, 2011, 11:09 AM
OH by the way...
Game of Thrones is quoted as "medieval fantasy" in wikipedia xD
So it must have some medieval influence.

elfgirl
September 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have always been intrigued by the Middle Ages, ever since I was young. I'm not really sure how to go about explaining how I first got into it, I just know that it was.

For me, it has always been a combination of the literature, style, fashion, and lifestyle of the MA and Renaissance (lit: Chaucer, Giovanni Boccaccio of the Renaissance, the tales of Jeanne d'Arc, Mallory, etc) and all of the different writings and tales from the time.

I've been a great fan of Tolkien and Marion Zimmer Bradley for years. The descriptions of the dresses, the cultures, and of course, the hair ;) were great draws for me. To answer your question/thought, Arielaqua: If I remember correctly, LOTR was indeed based on aspects of the MA, in addition to some Welsh, Scandinavian and other Norse cultures. The Elven languages of Sindarin and Quenya were loosely based on Welsh, Finnish, and some other language that I sadly can't remember....The Mists of Avalon, althuogh it has aspects of fantasy (the dragons and faerys), still is a wonderful tale....I fell in love with the dresses, and everything..sigh :)

Now that my tangent about books is over....I can go on to the more real world aspects of the MA influence...

The idea of having long hair has always intrigued, and in a way seduced me. I'm not really sure why. I have memories of my mum braiding my hair in beautiful herringbones, and French braids when I was just a wee girl in the first grade. All the other kids at school were always looking at (and to my dislike, touching) my hair. I had my hair waist length if not almost classic (for a tiny 7 year old girl) from the time I was 7 in 1st grade, up until 3rd grade, when I cut it to my chin and donated it.

I was always into the MA, even then. I was known for being in the school library, constantly looking at books on the period...something I haven't grown out of doing (book browsing ;) )

It wasn't until I got into high school, and attended my first Renaissance Faire, that I started wanting to grow my hair out again. I started at BSL, and have been growing ever since (with one haircut back to BSL in my sophomore year of HS...the ends were terrible).

This may sound strange, but going to Faire has always felt like going home for me. The beautiful women (and men) with their long hair, the fashion, the cultures that are shown and represented....not to mention the scent of the flowers, trees, and herbs that are all around the village..it's a very calming and happy place, for me. In a sort of coincidence, or whathaveyou, I met my current boyfriend and partner at Faire last year...he also has long, reddish-brown curly hair. Occasionally, when we're hanging out, we take turns braiding each other's hair, and have little competitions to see whose is longer (mine currently is :p), the things that rennies, and long-hair-growers do :p

In essence, it has generally been the style, and overall draw of both the historical fact and cultural fantasye (MoA, Faire, etc) of the MA that has encouraged and inspired my hair growing, and way of life, if you will.

If you have any other questions, or want to shoot ideas back and forth about hair, MA, Faires, or whathaveyou, drop me a line.

Take thee care! :)

Haldir
September 20th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Haha you're right at home here, elfgirl! :)

JessicaHamby
October 6th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Not really medieval, but LotR changed my hair - and my life :D

I am really inspired by long hair - no matter is it from history, movies or magazines. But it's true that in my opinion women of the Middle Ages had the best hairstyles.

I can even watch a really bad movie, if there's lovely hair and costumes in it ;)

arielágua
October 20th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I can even watch a really bad movie, if there's lovely hair and costumes in it ;)

ahahaha me too!! xD :cheese:

Sharysa
March 12th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Medieval fantasy and fairy tale illustrations DEFINITELY has a big influence on my hair. I love whenever my hair is finally long enough to do a certain braid/hairstyle that most other people can't.

Even the more realistic medieval hairstyles are more interesting than the modern "down or ponytail" options because you can do so many variations of them without much more effort.

SleepyTangles
March 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM
A bit, I must confess. I can't help but think how similar I'd be to medieval illustrations with classic or hip lenght hair. I prefer fantasy and renaissance interpretations of beauty, though.
When I was a child - children time perception is more fluid, so medieval in a child minds is somehow closer to fantasy and fairytales - I was totally obsessed with the beautiful long haired ladies in illustrated books. Although, being short-haired myself, I usually identifyied with short-haired heroines.

Dark Rapunzel
March 12th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I'm influenced mostly by Pre-Raphaelite paintings, but I'm also a Middle Ages addict! The clothing, the language, novels, movies, ANYTHING! I love Vikins and Celts especially :)

Does anybody know where to get medieval inspired hair toys or "normal" jewelry (necklaces, rings, etc)??

ghost
March 12th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Fairytales, Medieval and Renaissance history, and fantasy movies were definitely my biggest sphere of influence for wanting long hair when I was little. Now that I'm older, I want long hair just for the sake of having long hair -but all of the above still inspires me more than anything else! And I'll willingly admit that my "point of fashion" most of the time is wanting to look like a vampire bride XD

woolyleprechaun
March 12th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Fairytales, Medieval and Renaissance history, and fantasy movies were definitely my biggest sphere of influence for wanting long hair when I was little. Now that I'm older, I want long hair just for the sake of having long hair -but all of the above still inspires me more than anything else! And I'll willingly admit that my "point of fashion" most of the time is wanting to look like a vampire bride XD
'Vampire bride'- love it :D
I love all things medieval, or at least what my fantasty of medieval is ;) Long hair definately makes me feel more 'in touch' with ancient history, but mostly I love it for fantasy reasons.... I'M AN ELF AND NOBODY CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE!!! Muhahaha!

Soltimus
March 13th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Well, I am very much into the viking age and plan on joining a viking reenactment group along with my fiancé soon. I know in those days only maidens wore their hair down. Actually, they had to by law at least in Iceland (can't see why it wouldn't have been like that in the rest of the Nordic countries). When you got married the women were allowed to wear their hair up covered by a linen cloth or veil. They'd usually wear it folded in different ways to make it look very stylish. But the viking ladies aren't the reason I'm growing my hair out. That was after seeing some of the elaborate updos the women from bog findings had. This one here was the hairstyle that made me decide to grow my hair long.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=956&d=1355746575

It's a simple one, but I think it looks so awesome and I want to wear it with a super long braid. Here's one of it being modelled.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=957&d=1355746598

*Rose Red*
March 13th, 2013, 04:12 AM
I definetely love going to medieval fairs and love the hairstyle that women wear for it (even if it is not really what women looked like in public in the real middle ages ). And I love fantasy novels, I would like to have Galadriel´s hair :D

vindo
March 31st, 2013, 05:00 PM
Medieval fairs got me to grow my hair in the first place. I wanted to have long hair like women of the Middle Ages. This was always my beauty ideal, even when I was a little girl, but I had never grown it long because I was greatly discouraged ("your hair won't grow long, it won't look good, it is to fine/ thin" etc.)

In the real middle ages, hair was covered when out in public. The fantasy images of Rennaisance wormen (both painted by the Italian masters and later in the mid Victorian period) with long flowing locks isn't really what women in the middle ages looked like - but it is pretty!

That only applies to a part of the Middle Ages actually ;). There were times and cultures where long hair was openly displayed, sometimes while wearing headdress.

humble_knight
March 31st, 2013, 05:26 PM
Medieval fairs got me to grow my hair in the first place. I wanted to have long hair like women of the Middle Ages. This was always my beauty ideal, even when I was a little girl, but I had never grown it long because I was greatly discouraged ("your hair won't grow long, it won't look good, it is to fine/ thin" etc.)

That only applies to a part of the Middle Ages actually ;). There were times and cultures where long hair was openly displayed, sometimes while wearing headdress.

When I have the means, I must take myself to those fairs in Germany. I think your nation is doing much in the way of medieval activities and fun for enthusiasts and their families :D

vindo
April 1st, 2013, 04:53 PM
When I have the means, I must take myself to those fairs in Germany. I think your nation is doing much in the way of medieval activities and fun for enthusiasts and their families :D

I don't know how it is in the UK, but I do like how much is offered in Germany when it comes to the Middle Ages. Often fairs and especially Reenactors keep it very authentic too.

Long_hair_bear
April 1st, 2013, 05:10 PM
Mine was more of a Tolkien influence, but I love the medieval times! Especially the Tudor times! I love long hair and big, huge sleeves! Hubby and I just joined the SCA so, fun, fun, fun!

Vrindi
April 1st, 2013, 06:18 PM
" Of course there were no dragons and fairies in MA time, but people of those times....

WHAT?!?? :eek::spitting:

I am a firm believer of dragons and faeries in any age.

To answer the original question, yes. Without a doubt, middle age style is my style, except I do prefer bathing much more often than most cultures did. I am happiest with my wardrobe when it makes me look like a Renaissance Faire runaway. I don't care if it's historical, or fantasy-inspired, I love it.

*Rose Red*
April 2nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
When I have the means, I must take myself to those fairs in Germany. I think your nation is doing much in the way of medieval activities and fun for enthusiasts and their families
oh yes, I think we got a lot of fairs, I come from a region with an old castle and this is so nice for a fair! Here in my region almost every village or smaller city offers a fair once a year...

alyaziaaah
April 2nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
yeah i remember we have those fairs close to munich, they are amazing.
that time we i used to go i was more into horses (i still am), so i went to see the "knight games"
thats the wordly translation what in english is called jousting.
but i always loved the dresses, still do, i prefer to wear anything long and flowy, with a low hipbelt or so.
but nowadays i am more medieval hair obsessed than before.
next time i go back to germany i make sure i will visit a medieval fair again!
:wethree:

Sharysa
April 2nd, 2013, 10:13 PM
I'm getting my sister to make me a couple of tunic mini-dresses made like actual tunics, and potentially a really nice ankle-length one. XD I got an authentic pattern for it and everything.

Venefica
May 24th, 2013, 07:00 AM
I am a huge fantasy fan so off course it is at the back of my head that having long hair make me look more like the many ladies of such books and movies, it is not the reason in and off itself why I have long hair, but it is a nice little bonus I think.

chen bao jun
June 20th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Yes, I love the Middle Ages both in fact and fantasy--notice my avatar, Guinevere by Howard Pyle. I loved the picture when I was young and I think its why knee-length is my favorite length (not that I expect to grow there). I'm a historian so I'm aware that Pyle's illustrations of the Middle Ages have a healthy dose of fantasy involved, but I love fantasy/fairy tales also so that's fine with me!

chen bao jun
June 20th, 2013, 08:43 AM
The Celts got around. Do you know they conquered Rome at one point?
I actually don't think Boudicca was a Celt though. I don't remember exactly so I could be wrong but I thought she was from the Brigantii tribe? I don't think they were Celts, not all ancient people in the British Isles were Celts. Brits are mixed from many many kinds of ancient peoples.

chen bao jun
June 20th, 2013, 09:01 AM
History teaching in the US is pretty appalling. I know because I teach history here in college and I would describe the students as 'confused'. They know bits here and bits there and actually the ones that have done reading on their own on particular subjects are better off than the ones who have just only dealt with the middle school and high school curriculums. Most of them think they hate history, they have been so badly taught. the problem is that in the last 40 years or so there has been no consensus about what students ought to know and a lot of what I would call 'fads' or 'trends' duelling and competing with each other. So the traditional curriculum was dropped (or else had so much added to it that nobody could digest it) and to correct what was thought of as old propaganda, a lot of new, conflicting propaganda was brought in, also different things in different places as a school board in say, Arkansas doesn't have to do the same things as one in New York. Anyway, it all has no guiding principle or organization at the moment that I can see and I always have a lot of sorting out to do to get all the students on the same page and also to get them to stop spouting the current truisms without looking at the evidence about what it was really like in whatever period we are studying--when you are convinced that all women everywhere were always oppressed; that the church equals the inquisition and was always oppressive and anti-science; and that every group we consider a 'minority' in the U.S. was always a minority everywhere and always powerless, you can come up with some pretty ridiculous conclusions. Like my students every year who write things like "Queen Elizabeth was a great woman. She was not satisfied to be just a housewife..."
They also just always really need information that helps things fit together. Having studied things in pieces, they tend not to realize that the English Civil War had a huge impact on the United States, for instance, or that to call the culture of Latin America 'non-white' may be true of some countries (not all) but it's definitely ignoring the fact that Spain is an enormous influence there and Spain is a solid part of the European Christian tradition and while unlike Britain which influenced the US in many way, its also very LIKE it in a lot of other ways and it all goes back to the Roman Empire, which is still highly important to understand on a least a basic level if you want to understand a lot of things in the newspaper today...

chen bao jun
June 20th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I like the fantasy middle ages as much as the real middle ages and I do think its from the fantasy middle ages (pre-raphaelite painters and illustrators and modern movies) that we see a lot of the beautiful long hairstyles that make the renn faires and reenacting so much for people on LHC who already have extremely long hair (I'm not so lucky--at least not yet). I do think that not only did women wear head coverings through most of the middle ages in most periods but that women going around with their heads uncovered is highly unusual in Western culture before the last 50 years. I know that in the early 1960's, my mother would automatically put a hat on to go out in public and women usually have done that, as well as worn their long hair up and covered with kerchiefs, veils, wimples and various other things before about 1968. And men usually wore hats outdoors also.
When you say 'veil' nowadays you get a lot of connotations of the Taliban forcing women to wear big, black burqas and cutting their heads off in public stadiums if they won't, which is certainly oppressive but I don't think covering your hair has historically had that kind of connotation, not even in Muslim countries. coverings protect hair from the sun and from dust (important when you can't wash it a lot), hide bad hair days and covering your face as well as your hair is something that women might do voluntarily in the days when protecting their skin from the sun was important or in situations when they might to do something without being recognized (if a woman couldn't pull a veil over her fact, a lot of the historical novelists might get stumped at certain points in the plots of their novels!). Covering your face has never been a big part of Western culture--but I jsut wanted to point out that veils can have a lot of connotations besides oppression. Think of a Spanish beauty using a lace mantilla to enhance her gorgeous face, Marlene Dietrich looking mysterious in one of those little hats with the half veil down to her nose and look at pictures in costume books of the many, many different ways over the centuries that medieval women wore hats and wimples and French hoods and a lot of other different styles--we might not necessarily be better off because hats and veils have gone out of fashion.

clioariane
July 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I'm obsessed with Game of Thrones and many of the characters give me serious hair envy!

curiouskitty
January 7th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I've always wanted to be a mystical sexy witch/princess/mermaid. So yes.

Also, attending a renaissance fair is one of the top things on my bucket list... and I want to look the part when the day comes! :crush:

hanne jensen
January 8th, 2015, 02:04 AM
I love the Middle Ages but am more into the Vikings. I love the Viking clothing and want to start sewing viking clothing so I can dress the part at the next Viking Market at Trelleborg.

Annalouise
January 8th, 2015, 10:38 AM
History teaching in the US is pretty appalling. I know because I teach history here in college and I would describe the students as 'confused'. They know bits here and bits there and actually the ones that have done reading on their own on particular subjects are better off than the ones who have just only dealt with the middle school and high school curriculums. Most of them think they hate history, they have been so badly taught. the problem is that in the last 40 years or so there has been no consensus about what students ought to know and a lot of what I would call 'fads' or 'trends' duelling and competing with each other. So the traditional curriculum was dropped (or else had so much added to it that nobody could digest it) and to correct what was thought of as old propaganda, a lot of new, conflicting propaganda was brought in, also different things in different places as a school board in say, Arkansas doesn't have to do the same things as one in New York. Anyway, it all has no guiding principle or organization at the moment that I can see and I always have a lot of sorting out to do to get all the students on the same page and also to get them to stop spouting the current truisms without looking at the evidence about what it was really like in whatever period we are studying--when you are convinced that all women everywhere were always oppressed; that the church equals the inquisition and was always oppressive and anti-science; and that every group we consider a 'minority' in the U.S. was always a minority everywhere and always powerless, you can come up with some pretty ridiculous conclusions. Like my students every year who write things like "Queen Elizabeth was a great woman. She was not satisfied to be just a housewife..."
They also just always really need information that helps things fit together. Having studied things in pieces, they tend not to realize that the English Civil War had a huge impact on the United States, for instance, or that to call the culture of Latin America 'non-white' may be true of some countries (not all) but it's definitely ignoring the fact that Spain is an enormous influence there and Spain is a solid part of the European Christian tradition and while unlike Britain which influenced the US in many way, its also very LIKE it in a lot of other ways and it all goes back to the Roman Empire, which is still highly important to understand on a least a basic level if you want to understand a lot of things in the newspaper today...

Amen sister!

I like the fantasy middle ages as much as the real middle ages and I do think its from the fantasy middle ages (pre-raphaelite painters and illustrators and modern movies) that we see a lot of the beautiful long hairstyles that make the renn faires and reenacting so much for people on LHC who already have extremely long hair (I'm not so lucky--at least not yet). I do think that not only did women wear head coverings through most of the middle ages in most periods but that women going around with their heads uncovered is highly unusual in Western culture before the last 50 years. I know that in the early 1960's, my mother would automatically put a hat on to go out in public and women usually have done that, as well as worn their long hair up and covered with kerchiefs, veils, wimples and various other things before about 1968. And men usually wore hats outdoors also.
When you say 'veil' nowadays you get a lot of connotations of the Taliban forcing women to wear big, black burqas and cutting their heads off in public stadiums if they won't, which is certainly oppressive but I don't think covering your hair has historically had that kind of connotation, not even in Muslim countries. coverings protect hair from the sun and from dust (important when you can't wash it a lot), hide bad hair days and covering your face as well as your hair is something that women might do voluntarily in the days when protecting their skin from the sun was important or in situations when they might to do something without being recognized (if a woman couldn't pull a veil over her fact, a lot of the historical novelists might get stumped at certain points in the plots of their novels!). Covering your face has never been a big part of Western culture--but I jsut wanted to point out that veils can have a lot of connotations besides oppression. Think of a Spanish beauty using a lace mantilla to enhance her gorgeous face, Marlene Dietrich looking mysterious in one of those little hats with the half veil down to her nose and look at pictures in costume books of the many, many different ways over the centuries that medieval women wore hats and wimples and French hoods and a lot of other different styles--we might not necessarily be better off because hats and veils have gone out of fashion.

And lets not forget it was COLD!!!! You covered your head because you didn't want to DIE from exposure to cold, wind, rain and snow.

Annalouise
January 8th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I love medieval Europe because I love the Cathedrals and the monasteries and the medieval church. I love the traditional Latin Mass and Gregorian chants. I love Latin. I also love Bach and Vivaldi. And medieval writings from the saints and theologians, as well as literature and the stories of King Arthur and Sir Gwain and the Green Knight. I like Shakespeare and Dante. Saint Teresa of Avila is my favorite Saint.
I also like the music of Hildegard of Bingen and classical music in general.

Did it influence my decision to have long hair, no, not really.:)

TwilightShadow
January 13th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Like others have said, I like fantasy medieval hairstyles more than some historical medieval hairstyles. My reason for growing long hair was LOTR, actually. But even before I decided to grow out my hair beyond BSL, I've never been drawn much to styling my hair like many girls/women do today, i.e. heat styling, using lots of hair spray, blowdrying, etc. To me, medieval/renaissance and even later hairstyles, like from the Regency or Victorian eras, are easier to master eventually and even the more complicated ones are worth the effort, because the result is amazing.

Eraisuithiel
January 25th, 2015, 08:51 AM
I love basically all old hairstyles, from early paintings to about the 1950's, but medieval hair has always made me jealous and LoTR definitely never helped with that. One of my main goals in growing my hair out is actually to have great hair for the Renaissance Festival. :laugh:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 25th, 2015, 01:28 PM
My hair inspiration has definitely been from medieval times, also fictional medieval, and Victorian too, in fact pretty much anything up until the 1920's when bobs became fashionable. I feel that somehow my own long hair links me to these other women throughout history and I somehow feel a connection back through the ages. Silly as it may sound.

TwilightShadow
January 25th, 2015, 01:44 PM
My hair inspiration has definitely been from medieval times, also fictional medieval, and Victorian too, in fact pretty much anything up until the 1920's when bobs became fashionable. I feel that somehow my own long hair links me to these other women throughout history and I somehow feel a connection back through the ages. Silly as it may sound.

I actually like how that sounds, Sarahlabyrinth.

Stiria
January 25th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I like how that sounds too, Sarahlabyrinth. I sometimes feel the same way. When I comb or braid my hair I will sometimes think about how women throughout the ages have done the same thing. And when I wear an elling woman bun I think about her. She lived once. She breathed, walked around and was alive. She combed her hair and braided it. And more than 2000 years later, I wear my hair the same way she did. It's pretty amazing.

Fericera
January 28th, 2015, 02:55 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I don't believe in an afterlife, but if there was one I like to think the women from long ago would look down fondly on those who wear their hair in more traditional ways. It keeps history and traditional styles from being lost and forgotten I think.

fiðrildi
January 29th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I'm a 100% influenced. All things middle ages, middle-earth, celtic, viking, fascinate me. Not just hair-wise, but also clothing-wise, jewelry-wise, music-wise, etc.

Remi
March 19th, 2015, 09:07 PM
The King Arthur legend etc. influenced me.

FantasyBoudicca
April 29th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Mine is actually inspired by the Chinese period dramas! The beautiful women with their long, flowing hair and hair jewellery - I couldn't resist. I feel more connected to my heritage, and my long hair is one aspect of my appearance that I always take pride in.

HeartofHaleth
April 29th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Two words:

HECK YES :cool:

akuamoonmaui
June 28th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Chiming in on the common response to this thread. I've always found the 15th and 16th century to be visually beautiful. Not so sure I'd want to live then, it was pretty brutal on all accounts from what I understand, but heck, if you have to worry about marauders, famine, witch persecution, death from childbirth, and the current political regime you might as well look good...

Hair envy - Princess Isabel (Sophie Marceau) Braveheart; Hatsumomo (Gong Li) Memoires of a Geisha (although a bit out of context for the thread).

Agnes Hannah
June 29th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Yes, I loved "The White Queen" for the hairstyles. I also love the Ellingwoman style so hair through the ages inspires me. As Sarahlabyrinth so rightly said I also feel a connection with women from the past, and yep anything up to the 1920's influences me.

Vanadis_Lithae
June 30th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I would refuse to cut my hair as a kid, I think as a small child it was more because I was interested in nature, but not in a conscious sense, I was kind of a wild, play in the woods/creek and adventure in the dirt child. It was down to my back when I was 10 but I had to cut it all off because I didn't take care of it. But after 13 or so when it was to my shoulders, I kept growing it and never stopped. I think at that point Medieval art may have helped influence why I liked it, but it was a mix of many other things. I was very into darker aspects of life, and vampire aesthetics, but painters like Waterhouse did help in some way. It wasn't really a conscious decision to base it on those things, but I think since they were a part of my life, it just naturally did.

I also did not have bangs until about 5 years ago, my mid 20's. I had the sides of my head shaved too (a cyberpunk type feel when put back- so mixing old with new) but I've been growing both of them out for a few years now, and the sides that were shaved are down to my upper chest. I'm hoping to gt everyone one length again. I do enjoy that aesthetic, I used to get comments about how I looked like a Waterhouse painting. I still do sometimes but with bangs it's more like Japanese aesthetic.

yahirwaO.o
July 2nd, 2016, 08:00 PM
No really or at least from european perspective !!!! My inspiration comes more from my own culture references like Aztec warriors or native americans who embrace the beautiful long black hair ( some had the crazy mohawks, lopsided monk cuts and Mayan people who put exotic stuff on their heads)

There are beautiful art pieces of both women and men who learned basic hair care and the ritual connotations (mostly braids and beautiful adornments). Mesoamerican culture were the one who had great access to awesome water resources and wash their hair everyday while washing their bodies as well. North culture-tribes of course is a different case.

.... No offence, but european medieval people in some parts and periods rarely had access to water and from my impossible oily head perspective I can't image that just BBB. beer rinsed made the hair look presentable. Of course hair texture is different so this just an opinion. A lot of the most valuable art pieces come from medieval awesome muse ladies hair!

littlestarface
July 2nd, 2016, 08:30 PM
Mine comes from way before medieval period, I always love how ancient civilizations the women had such long black hair, it always made me want to be like them. Not just with my own culture but from others as well, having long hair makes me feel I dunno kinda connected to them in a way. I wish I can copy them with the gold headdresses and jewelry but hey lets face it i'm not a real princess, contrary to popular belief.

MINAKO
July 2nd, 2016, 08:39 PM
Uhm what exactly do you mean by "influenced"??... It's not like there is even a slight chance i am not the reincarnation of some occult shinto shrine maiden or a wuxia warrior princess on a secret mission and somehow ended up in all this contemporary bullsh*t that modern society has to offer hahaha. Good one, lol!!

I run around on a daily basic acting like this, even most of my clothes are an understated version of some sort of traditional garment.
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/4FFB3510-966B-4C1A-8CC0-93E4AE1D39AF_zpssofanm51.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/4FFB3510-966B-4C1A-8CC0-93E4AE1D39AF_zpssofanm51.jpg.html)

yahirwaO.o
July 2nd, 2016, 11:18 PM
Uhm what exactly do you mean by "influenced"??... It's not like there is even a slight chance i am not the reincarnation of some occult shinto shrine maiden or a wuxia warrior princess on a secret mission and somehow ended up in all this contemporary bullsh*t that modern society has to offer hahaha. Good one, lol!!

LOL!!!! I beg to differ but you really look like a modern reincarnation of a Shinto period princess. Lots of animes watched and some book arts give a certain beauty about so many lives and the whole concept about the word is so awe beautiful.... getting back to hair, yeah yours resemble those long asian precious tresses I've always fall amazed by. Its way darker and shinier than us indian americans!

Vrindi
July 21st, 2016, 02:30 PM
Minako, you look BEAUTIFUL!

Here are my medieval/Celtic/faerie contributions:

https://instagram.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/13658676_102269643544768_100134283_n.jpg?ig_cache_ key=MTI5MTQ0NzE2MzMxMzkyMDk3Nw%3D%3D.2

https://instagram.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/13561952_286560805025966_1002357794_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTI4NjYwOTQ0OTIzODM3Mjk0MA%3D%3D.2

https://instagram.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/13549499_944007425710376_1971498205_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTI4NjYwNTA2OTkyMzYyMDM5Mw%3D%3D.2

These are from my trip to Ireland last month. I will be moving there in the near-ish future, because we completely fell in love. If there's such thing as a soul mate country, Ireland is it. Anyway, these were taken near Kilnaboy, on the Avalla Farm Loop trail on The Burren. That dog is a faerie dog who appeared out of nowhere and led us around the trail. She appeared after we drank from the holy well by that faerie hawthorn tree. It was magical. More photos are on our instagram, @blytheandshanedrymer. I also feel like I could dress like this every day and it would feel completely normal. ;)

yahirwaO.o
July 21st, 2016, 06:03 PM
Minako, you look BEAUTIFUL!

Here are my medieval/Celtic/faerie contributions:

These are from my trip to Ireland last month. I will be moving there in the near-ish future, because we completely fell in love. If there's such thing as a soul mate country, Ireland is it. Anyway, these were taken near Kilnaboy, on the Avalla Farm Loop trail on The Burren. That dog is a faerie dog who appeared out of nowhere and led us around the trail. She appeared after we drank from the holy well by that faerie hawthorn tree. It was magical. More photos are on our instagram, @blytheandshanedrymer. I also feel like I could dress like this every day and it would feel completely normal. ;)

You look so happy and glowy!!!! I love when people look completely full of joy in pics!!!!! :applause

Vrindi
July 21st, 2016, 08:33 PM
You look so happy and glowy!!!! I love when people look completely full of joy in pics!!!!! :applause

That's the happiest I've ever felt. I was there with my husband, and we were that happy the whole time. It was amazing.

Symbiotek
July 22nd, 2016, 04:51 AM
I wouldn't say it has influenced my hair or the will to grow long hair much. Early Middle Ages, perhaps? The earliest early: Vikings and ancient Finnish pagan things, mostly. Definitely not the Medieval "princesses and castles" type of things. I think I lean towards the god of thunder than the elegant maiden :lol:

Lycurgus of Sparta said: "Long hair adds beauty to a good face, and terror to an ugly one", and it's definitely one of the things that keeps me motivated. I don't consider myself beautiful, but there's a certain kind of charm to looking intimidating and fierce. Nose ring? Done. Long hair? Done (well, almost). Now if I just had some warpaint and a fur cloak... ;)

TatsuOni
July 22nd, 2016, 05:17 AM
Minako and Vrinidi such beautiful pictures!:thud:

Goatcraft
July 22nd, 2016, 02:37 PM
History definitely had it's influence on me. I would say period films are why I started growing. I thought long locks had a certain elegance, femininity - and well, I also wanted to radiate that.

But now that I've gotten to a long length, I realize that I can't run around a garden with my locks flying about Ha! Too much damage.

hobbitlocks
July 22nd, 2016, 02:47 PM
Vrindi, you look so beautiful! YahirwaO.o really put it well -- I also love pictures were people look happy :)

And I love the way you did your hair; I'll have to try it sometime.

Vrindi
July 22nd, 2016, 08:49 PM
Thank you everyone!

History definitely had it's influence on me. I would say period films are why I started growing. I thought long locks had a certain elegance, femininity - and well, I also wanted to radiate that.

But now that I've gotten to a long length, I realize that I can't run around a garden with my locks flying about Ha! Too much damage.

^^ This was proof of just how magical that day was. I ran around ALL DAY with my hair loose, through woods and rain and wind, and it didn't get tangled. It was like I was in some magic bubble.

Noppera-bo
July 22nd, 2016, 11:51 PM
http://65.media.tumblr.com/avatar_1511916b0fb5_128.png

TheCurlyMermaid
November 27th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Game of Thrones and LOTR movies definitely had an impact on me! Seeing all of the gorgeous long hair and the intricate braids, I wanted to be able to wear my hair like that! They all looked so ethereal!

savannahfaery
January 23rd, 2018, 11:20 PM
The Middle Ages, Rapunzel, and my complete love for long hair is why I am trying to grow my hair as long as it can grow! :cheer::pegasus:

leayellena
January 24th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Today's Problem: on today's TV Shows and movies about middle age you can see only armpit to bra strap length hair as normal hair and nothing more than waist length. I am sure they had thicker hair than today's people (genetic modification trough different type of stress) and therefore longer. It was in reality definitely at least class length...

abralash
January 29th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Yes, I do medieval reenactment and it's helpful to have the length to do their hairstyles. I'm regrowing so I can do my favorite crown braid style for my 1250 English kit.

LadyArwen
May 20th, 2018, 10:02 PM
oh yes absolutely. Braveheart is a bit too violent for my taste...but I love the look of murron's hair with her fresh face and beautiful smile. I also adore the hair of the princess, wavy, super long with small accessory in back. Tristan and Isolde is another favorite in terms of costuming and hair. I confess that I feel most at home in long dresses with long sleeves...I don't know the medieval look feels natural. I used to be into more 1950s clothing with shorter hair, almost a vintage look. Now I love the medieval princess or lady arwen look...hence my name

Glitch
May 20th, 2018, 10:30 PM
I honestly didn't even know that long hair was a big thing in the past (besides in artwork, but I innocently assumed it was just the popular thing to paint lol). Naturally, I didn't have any influence from the Middle Ages as I didn't even have a clue.

I am very impressed by the lengths from those times, and especially adore the long princess-like dresses and long hair combo. I wish it was still a thing today. It's just so beautiful. If it wasn't so "strange" (not sure which word to use here haha) in our modern times, especially where I live, I'm sure I'd attempt it. :p

Sarahlabyrinth
May 21st, 2018, 02:56 AM
oh yes absolutely. Braveheart is a bit too violent for my taste...but I love the look of murron's hair with her fresh face and beautiful smile. I also adore the hair of the princess, wavy, super long with small accessory in back. Tristan and Isolde is another favorite in terms of costuming and hair. I confess that I feel most at home in long dresses with long sleeves...I don't know the medieval look feels natural. I used to be into more 1950s clothing with shorter hair, almost a vintage look. Now I love the medieval princess or lady arwen look...hence my name

I remember being so awe-struck by her hair when I first saw the movie, her hair was so long and wonderful. I went back and watched it again recently and got a shock, thinking "Oh, her hair is only knee length" :p I guess perception changes...

ravenskey
May 21st, 2018, 11:24 AM
Not the real life Middle Ages but LOTR, GoT, and The Wheel of Time book series were big inspiration especially TWoT - I want a super long wrist thick braid too!

LadyArwen
May 25th, 2018, 06:24 PM
This is so neat how so many of us love the middle ages. Sometimes one of my good friends and I like to speak in a medieval way, and then we can't stop laughing

"Forsooth my Lady how dost thou be-est?"

Cayy
June 19th, 2018, 08:39 PM
I’ve DEFINITELY admired hair through the ages; most notably the intricate hair of the medieval ages, as well as from Nordic stylings. I can only hope my hair will be thick and long like that!

maybeinaforest
June 21st, 2018, 09:00 PM
Oh yes, very much so! My wanting long locks comes from my interests in history/fantasy and my love of braids as well.

mtzw
June 22nd, 2018, 03:22 PM
I don't know why all this medieval, fantasy, elven ambience is so impactful.
Most of the time, I try to recreate styles that correspond to this era (the real and the fantasy one).
It might be one of the reasons why I have long hair.

hellomimi
July 4th, 2018, 10:48 AM
I LOVE to learn about hair traditions during the centuries, I find it so fascinating! so yeah, definitely :D

zmirina
July 7th, 2019, 01:24 AM
I don't know why all this medieval, fantasy, elven ambience is so impactful.
Most of the time, I try to recreate styles that correspond to this era (the real and the fantasy one).
It might be one of the reasons why I have long hair.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I want to run through fields with my long hair floating in the air around me...

TatsuOni
July 7th, 2019, 02:22 AM
I was at a viking fair yesterday and did a Valkyrie ponytail with some accent braids :)

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/2_5d20dc722a6b22a1b6ea23f2.jpg

The hair stick is a replica of a real Swedish medieval hair stick :)

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/3_5d20dd929606ee7887dd8d70.jpg

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_5d20dc27e087c377f4951e9a.jpg

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/4_5d20ddb7ddf2b37b98c0a14e.jpg

Joules
July 7th, 2019, 06:31 AM
I don't know much about what actually was happening hair-wise in the Middle Ages. Medieval paintings and shows/movies like LOTR or Game of Thrones are definitely inspiring!

Also, fun fact: I heard super long hair called "medieval" by non-longhairs. As if it's something bad and outdated. I could never take it as an insult though, I mean, if you want to insult my hair call it "modern", because nowadays most of the women have bleached fried mops on their heads, often even fake. At least my medieval hair is silky soft and shines bright like diamonds on a queen's crown.

TatsuOni
July 7th, 2019, 07:24 AM
I don't know much about what actually was happening hair-wise in the Middle Ages. Medieval paintings and shows/movies like LOTR or Game of Thrones are definitely inspiring!

Also, fun fact: I heard super long hair called "medieval" by non-longhairs. As if it's something bad and outdated. I could never take it as an insult though, I mean, if you want to insult my hair call it "modern", because nowadays most of the women have bleached fried mops on their heads, often even fake. At least my medieval hair is silky soft and shines bright like diamonds on a queen's crown.

The Christian women covered all/most of their hair for most part of the medieval ages. Viking women for example wore braided hair styles until the North became Christian. Stuff like veils, knotted snoods and hats were used to cover all or most of the hair depending on country and year. Only prostitutes and young unmarried women/girls would wear their hair loose/completely visible. If you were rich you could wear very decorated coverings like snoods with pearls or hats with gems.

A little about this :) http://www.historynaked.com/surviving-life-past-hair-care-medieval-woman/

Haziel
July 7th, 2019, 11:18 AM
No not really, but The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (books only!) has had a MAJOR impact on me including be a part of what led me to Christ. My personal interest is in dwarf styles (jewels and gold and mithrel!!) But I find it hard to practice : (

pippylonglocks
July 10th, 2019, 01:17 PM
No not really, but The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (books only!) has had a MAJOR impact on me including be a part of what led me to Christ. My personal interest is in dwarf styles (jewels and gold and mithrel!!) But I find it hard to practice : (

LOTR/TH is the best! Tolkien was such a literary and theology master! I must agree that LOTR had an influence on my hair... :D

_fred_
July 11th, 2019, 12:21 AM
I was at a viking fair yesterday and did a Valkyrie ponytail with some accent braids :)

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/2_5d20dc722a6b22a1b6ea23f2.jpg

The hair stick is a replica of a real Swedish medieval hair stick :)

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/3_5d20dd929606ee7887dd8d70.jpg

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_5d20dc27e087c377f4951e9a.jpg

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/4_5d20ddb7ddf2b37b98c0a14e.jpg

Wonderful photos! Your hair looks so gorgeous, I love the repro hair stick, and your kit is great too.

TatsuOni
July 11th, 2019, 02:26 AM
Wonderful photos! Your hair looks so gorgeous, I love the repro hair stick, and your kit is great too.

Thank you! :flower:

AmberWillow
July 17th, 2019, 06:57 AM
LOTR is definitely an inspiration for me, with the beautiful elfish hair. Love Game of Thrones, too! But as a bit of a metal head I decided I want long hair like badass metal women like Floor Jansen from Nightwish. Simone Simons from Epica was my inspiration for colour. Those symphonic metal bands have some historical elements in them, too which adds to their whole aesthetic. :D