PDA

View Full Version : Help me! Flakes!

eicamawa
August 30th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I showered today, and when I finnished I noticed a lot of flakes on my scalp. I've never had this problem before, so I have no idea what to do. I have a very tender scalp, so I can't use any strong shampoo's, and CO and WO doesn't work very well, my hair looks like it hasn't been washed at all after. I also live in Norway, so I probably only can use international methods (not any special shapoos or thinks like that). I hope you all can help me!

Aveyronnaise
August 30th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I am sensitive to soaps too, they dry out my scalp really badly. I have been using a deep castor oil treatment once a week as well as ACV rinses and I have zero flakes at this point.

Anje
August 30th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Have you ever tried diluted vinegar rinses? They seem to help a number of scalp issues.

Lots of folks around here use apple cider vinegar (ACV), those of us who are cheap, dislike the cider vinegar smell, or have hair that gets stained by cider vinegar tend to use white vinegar instead. Whatever you do, the key is to dilute: mixes range from about 1/20th vinegar in water to 1/4 vinegar, largely depending on how hard the local water is.

rowie
August 30th, 2011, 12:32 PM
When I was starting out with WO I used ACV and it helped. When the flaking got bad I had more frequent ACV rinses, and would then apply extra virgin coconut oil to my scalp. The flaking for me went away slowly and took me two weeks since I am in the WO regime.

eicamawa
August 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM
With ACV rinses, should I also use anything else, or just WO?

CurlyCap
August 30th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I mix about a tablespoon of coconut oil with 5 drops of Tea Tree Oil. I apply it to the scalp before bed. In the morning, I may wash my head (focusing on the scalp), and then repeat the oil(s) treatment.

That usually clears things up for me.

IF that doesn't work, Head and Shoulders does. I just have to be very careful to baby my hair after something so harsh.

luvlaughlin
August 31st, 2011, 02:49 AM
I know you may want to use natural products but can you get Nizoral over there? It's over the counter in most drugstores/grocery stores. You only need to use it a couple times a week and leave it on a few minutes than rinse. I also think it works as a clarifier and has ketoconazole in it which could help with hair growth too.

eicamawa
August 31st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thank you very much for all advices.

@ I think head and shoulders would just worse the problem, because the one and only time I've tried it, it burned my scalp and it made all worse...

Sahar24
August 31st, 2011, 03:40 PM
I found my itching/flaking stopped when I stopped using shampoos/conditioners that have sulphates. Seriously made a massive difference. Also, could you be sensitive to any colours/perfumes in your current products?

misspurdy06
August 31st, 2011, 03:46 PM
Stop using shampoo altogether. I haven't used shampoo in 3 years. I used to clean my hair with conditioner:

Wet hair, scrub hair and scalp very well, leave in for the rest of your shower then rinse, you will wonder why you ever wasted money on shampoo.

I have since stopped using anything in my hair. I rinse very well with water and scrub my scalp and hair with my hands.

Sahar24
August 31st, 2011, 03:49 PM
Stop using shampoo altogether. I haven't used shampoo in 3 years. I used to clean my hair with conditioner:

Wet hair, scrub hair and scalp very well, leave in for the rest of your shower then rinse, you will wonder why you ever wasted money on shampoo.

I have since stopped using anything in my hair. I rinse very well with water and scrub my scalp and hair with my hands.

Agreed. I haven't used shampoo in months and couldn't be happier! I was seriously nervous about it, thinking my hair would be dirty/tangled/greasy etc, but it is the single best decision I have ever made for my hair :)

eicamawa
September 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM
Agreed. I haven't used shampoo in months and couldn't be happier! I was seriously nervous about it, thinking my hair would be dirty/tangled/greasy etc, but it is the single best decision I have ever made for my hair :)

I've tried this once, but my hair turned out greasy afterwards, and didn't look good at all. Should I just try to keep on doing it, even thought it can be a little risky? And how long will it take for it to become normal again?