PDA

View Full Version : Am I a wavy or a curly? (aka, what's my current hairtype?)

darkwaves
June 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Today, for the first time in a long time, I washed/dried my hair without using any leave-ins. I also didn't handle it at all, beyond sopping up a bit of water at the start, and moving it out of my face as it dried.

As this is about as natural as it's going to get, I thought I'd get feedback on my current hair type.

(Note: what I notice most here is the amount of frizz!!! Those independent hairs that refuse to play nicely or form waves or curls with their neighbours are why I almost always use leave ins. But leave-ins either drag it down to make it look far straighter or clump the tendrils to make it look far curlier, and neither of those show my natural texture.)

So, LHCers, am I a wavy or a curly?

Guesses on what this fly-away, high-volume fibre might be? (There are more shots in my blog.)

Also, I think we should do an update on the visual hair typing photos from several years ago. Anyone else want to contribute pictures of their untouched, un-product-coated natural hair? We could compile them into an article on the Articles Section...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/hairpix/hair2.jpg

girlcat36
June 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
You have fantastic 3a hair. Curly all the way! And it looks great for having no product in it!

spidermom
June 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I agree with girlcat36. You have gorgeous curly hair!

harley mama
June 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
You are a curly. No doubt about it!
Darkwaves, I have always admired your wonderful curl!

jojo
June 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM
you are a pretty curly hair, I love your hair it looks so silky

Curlsgirl
June 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Absolutely Darkwaves, a 3a for sure and gorgeous curls as always! I can't imagine what my hair would look like with nothing in it. Maybe I'll try it. I am pretty sure like you that a lot of things that I use to get rid of frizz and try to get my curls to play well with each other along with the length are dragging mine down too. You have me wanting to try this. I can alway do an updo after! Hee hee!

Yours really looks amazing though!!! :thud:

SweetPea88
June 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Looks like you're a 3a curly to me! And an absolutely gorgeous one as well! :)

Isilme
June 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
if that's wavy, then I'm stick straight;) Definitely curly.

redcelticcurls
June 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
That's 3A for sure

Paniscus
June 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Goodness, I'd say CURLY!!! And what beautiful curls they are :)

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM
What glorious, spirally, boingy curls - CURLY, absolutely, without a doubt! If someone is going to update the visual hair-typing photos, I nominate yours for the first listed under 3A.

wimsey
June 29th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Categorically Curly :agree:.

eta: I'll be happy to contribute a photo.

ravenmerlita
June 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Definitely curly. Beautiful!

Snowymoon
June 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Your CURLS are gorgeous! :thumbsup: I would put you at 3A at the least, possibly some 3B here and there (the sides and the ends in places look even more curly).

:)

DecafJane
June 29th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Wow, what beautiful curls! :)

psvzum
June 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Wow! It's like looking in the mirror-our hair is practically identical in color and curl. You're a 3A : )

Xandergrammy
June 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM
You're a beautiful curly, my friend. It looks gorgeous and I don't see any frizz. :crush:

P.S. Next Sunday, I'll take an au naturel picture of my hair. I hope I remember :sun:

darkwaves
June 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks for your help girlcat36, spidermom, harley mama, jojo, Curlsgirl, SweetPea88, Isilme, redcelticcurls, Paniscus, tomm, wimsey, ravenmerlita, Snowymoon, DecafJane, psvzum and Xandergrammy!

You've all encouraged me so much.

I've been confused about my hair lately -- partly because it's willful, partly because the curls drop out after a few days, and partly because I've been using lots of product to keep the frizz down, which I really think makes it droopy and curlfree. So for a while, I changed my profile to 2c/3a -- but this is great! I'm now changing it back to where Fia told me it should be back when I joined. 3A!

Now I just have to remember to go easy on the lotions and potions...

Thanks!!!

(And now we just need to get more updated pix for a new hair-type guide...)

Alley Cat
June 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Curly curly curly. Beautiful curly at that. :thud:

LadyMoon11
June 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM
WOW :thud: Gorgeous hair!

Curly. :D

darkwaves
June 30th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks, Lady Moon and Alley Cat!

And my hair is so weird, I bet the curl will have floated away by tomorrow!

cheekytweety
June 30th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Pretty and soo thick.

Lamb
June 30th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I was always puzzled by the 2c/3a you used to have in your profile - your curls are fantastic!

sipnsun
June 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Wow! What beautiful hair! Definately curly!

darkwaves
June 30th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks, sipnsun.

And Lamb, I think I was having a reaction to the never-ending, static-filled Canadian/Prairie winter! It makes my hair so weird. (I have coastal hair; it loves humidity and sea air. Maybe I need to move again.)

wintersun99
June 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM

chloeishere
June 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I've always thought your hair was absolutely stunning. And I think you have gotten enough feedback by now, but it's definitely curly-- and gorgeous! :thud:

nissamholtz
June 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Your hair is in fantastic condition. And yes it is curly.

Angellen
June 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM
What a beautiful new pic! Seriously, your hair looks gorgeous. And those thick curls! Wowww. Definitely in the 3 range, no doubts about it!

PetiteHatter
July 1st, 2008, 12:04 AM
You have curly hair