PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner

newbeginning
August 30th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I'm looking for a conditioner that would help my (mostly) oily roots and dry/coarse hair without weighing it down. If I try a lighter conditioner so my hair doesn't get weighed down my hair is dry and when I try a more moisturizing conditioner my hair goes flat. Any brands/types that people can recommend? Anyone else with a similar hair type could you please tell me what works for you. TIA.

I use coconut oil on my length and I find that helps a bit but my hair is still dry.

Sahar24
August 30th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Not sure where you're based - but in the UK I totally swear by naked body care products.
SLS/Cone/paraben free and virtually all natural. They have an amazing range of shampoos and conditioners as well as cone-free styling products.
Google them!
(obv not much help if you're not in the UK though!!)

caiti42
August 30th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Are you applying conditioner to your roots? This is not necessary and may be causing your greasy scalp. Try conditioning from the ears down and see if that helps.

For me however, it was SLS shampoo causing me greasies not conditioner.

Dreams_in_Pink
August 30th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Personally, i have coarse hair myself and i'm no longer using conditioner. I detangle before shower, wash my hair, wait for it to dry %90 and then i apply a small amount of jojoba oil. Then i start to comb. I'm not saying this will work for you (not using condish is shocking news i know) but it seems to be working for me. All the products i tried gave me gunky heavy hair if used too much but jojoba oil seems to keep it bouncy while locking in the humidity.

archel
August 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Giovanni 50:50 Balanced is made just for this type of hair. It's light and somehow moisturizing at the same time. I use it and put it ears down and it's great on days I need light conditioning (sometimes I need something heavier and use Smooth As Silk, but this might weigh down your hair).

cheshire90
August 30th, 2011, 07:32 AM
biolage conditioner is great

jojo
August 30th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I am loving Avon's advocado and almond conditioner for dry damaged hair its amazing but has cones. I also love tigi moisture maniac, im also a 2b, F, ii/iii

SpinDance
August 30th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I'm having great luck doing CO with diluted conditioner on my head (Suave Naturals, any but coconut because of the protein, cut with with 2 or 3 times as much water), and then diluted and/or full strength on my ends and lengths. It is getting my scalp clean without drying my hair, and I can use a heavier, or even a different conditioner on the ends and lengths to give them what they need.

YepLilly
August 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Are you applying conditioner to your roots? This is not necessary and may be causing your greasy scalp. Try conditioning from the ears down and see if that helps.

What caiti42 said. Have you tried something like CWC? This may help with the problem of oily roots / dry ends. That way you can try a very moisturizing conditioner on the length.

newbeginning
August 30th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Wow thanks for the suggestions and advice. I haven't tried CWC. I didn't know it could help with the greasy root/dry length problem. If I don't apply conditioner to my scalp (even just a tiny bit on my hands and lightly smoothing it over my scalp) my roots/scalp are dry but by the second day they feel greasy. I wash every other day. I can't stretch washes nor do CO (I tried both and they didn't work for me). I think I'll try CWC and some of the conditioner recommendations. Thanks everyone.

SpinDance
August 31st, 2011, 09:39 AM
After finding LHC I started doing CWC with what I was already using, and it did help. I already diluted my shampoo and conditioner, since it worked fine that way. I was using cones, and CO didn't work for me at all until I went cone free. Just too greasy. Now it's working great. For a while I used CO in between CWC to stretch the washes, but then I realized I no longer needed the shampoo at all and just kept with the CO. I'm not fanatic about this or anything, and if it feels like using shampoo would be beneficial for any reason I'll use it. I'm just not feeling it. :)