PDA

View Full Version : Curly Girls: Moral Support?

CurlyCap
August 29th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I chopped my hair last year for a lot of reasons. Long story short: I like it and am enjoying growing it out.

Lately, everyone has been commenting "It's grows so sloooowly." And then they tug at a curl.

Le sigh.

I know they are wrong. I know that most of them have straight hair and don't realize how much length is hidden.

But my hair has grown 9" in 10 months and I've had 2 haircuts!

Just....grrrrr.

Venting and want digital hugs.

gthlvrmx
August 29th, 2011, 09:56 PM
:D Oh my god, congratulations on the fantastic growth!! That's extremely lucky for you, soo much growth!! :D
Dont fret, one day it'll be long enough that the weight pulls the curls out more, causing it to look longer and show more true length. (if you have that sort of hair)

C.H.
August 29th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I chopped my hair last year for a lot of reasons. Long story short: I like it and am enjoying growing it out.

Lately, everyone has been commenting "It's grows so sloooowly." And then they tug at a curl.

Le sigh.

I know they are wrong. I know that most of them have straight hair and don't realize how much length is hidden.

But my hair has grown 9" in 10 months and I've had 2 haircuts!

Just....grrrrr.

Venting and want digital hugs.

Girl, at almost and inch a month, your hair will have some serious length before you know it. Those who carelessly tug at your curls will probably be suffering real hair envy before long.

The good news is, the proportion of your length that is lost to shrinkage decreases as it gets longer, so even if you're frustrated now, it only gets better from here.

emelnd
August 29th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Aw... :grouphug: That's fantastic growth!

:pegasus: Sorry, playing with the smileys I noticed while trying to give you a digihug. That one says pegasus but it looks like a flying pig to me.

C.H.
August 29th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Aw... :grouphug: That's fantastic growth!

:pegasus: Sorry, playing with the smileys I noticed while trying to give you a digihug. That one says pegasus but it looks like a flying pig to me.

Hah. I like it even more as a flying pig...

Maktub
August 29th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I find she's amazing inspiration for curlies like us out there ! Be patient and congratulations for you growth !

http://www.youtube.com/user/HairCrush#p/u/26/x-NExrXhHI4

Helix
August 29th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Hug-bees! :grouphug:

Who cares what other people say. As long as you know you've made progress that's all that matters. It's like having your own personal dirty little secret.

redcelticcurls
August 29th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Don't worry. It will eventually get long enough that the weight will drag the curl down. Then you'll be sad that your hair isn't as curly as it was at a shorter length.

:)

Length or curl. Always the dilemma.

C.H.
August 29th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I find she's amazing inspiration for curlies like us out there ! Be patient and congratulations for you growth !

Love her. Never get tired of looking at her hair.

CurlyMopTop
August 30th, 2011, 05:45 AM
CurlyCap I wish my hair grew that fast! Some people may not be able to see the fruits of your labor visibly, but you know it's there. Everytime you pull that one or two curls down to check the length, growth, and general health of your hair, you know. Just think of it as like a hidden treasure that's not quite ready to be shared with others yet. One day people are going to look at your hair and see that too! Time and patience are our best friends right now, along with conditioner!! :D <hugs>

kiwiipop
August 30th, 2011, 06:00 AM

:thudpile: Her hair has SO much volume and body! Thanks so much for linking her, I'm off to go cry with envy. :D

DarkSunny
August 30th, 2011, 06:01 AM
That's a great rate of growth! Don't worry, the weight of your own hair as it gets longer will pull it down more. If it helps at all, when I get discouraged by the apparent lack of growth thanks to curling, I just focus on the changes in length I can see when it is wet. Also, just not thinking about the length for a couple of weeks can work wonders, because when you eventually do think about it again, you'll notice all of the new progress that much more.

DuckyDot
August 30th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Pfft, they are talking rubbish! When your hair is super long and awesome you can just think 'HA shame, now my hair is long and awesome.'

Soon they shall :thud: with hair envy!

And you have an awesome hair growth rate!

AlexiaBlue
August 30th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Aww, hugs to you!! I totally know how you feel! I only very recently started doing the "Curly Girl" method after fighting to straighten my hair for years. I was feeling really happy with how healthy my hair was looking and how it was growing. Then, I saw a friend who I hadn't seen in a while, and she said, "WOW, you really cut your hair!!" <Sigh> I hadn't, it was just that she never saw my hair *that* curly before and it appeared WAY shorter.

Anyway -- I'm here to offer moral support! I'm in this with ya! ;)

Curly Hermione
August 30th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Don't worry, your hair will get there! Hugs from me!

rowie
August 30th, 2011, 09:17 AM
The best part of being a wavy and curly is that no matter what length you are, it will look impressive! Most of all Wavy and curlies have the advantage of having a different hairstyle everyday. When I say different I mean the curls or waves change every day, whereas people with straight long hair have the same long hair style everyday (if it were not styled or manipulated).

Signe
August 30th, 2011, 09:27 AM
:thudpile: Her hair has SO much volume and body! Thanks so much for linking her, I'm off to go cry with envy. :D

Me too!
She is exactly what I would want to look like if I could look like anyone else! Hair, face, everything. What an unbelievably beautiful woman!

SpinDance
August 30th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hugs to you! Most people don't 'get' physics, you know, so they only react to what they think they see, "the curls go to there, it's that length", not "the curls go to there, with that coil it has to be at least, Wow! That's long!" :D You know, the physics that causes some drivers to think that just because they have a 4-wheel drive vehicle that going fast on snow and ice is OK, forgetting that stopping just doesn't happen like on dry pavement.....

AceOfCurls
August 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM

OMG That girls hair is amazing. Total inspiration!:cheese:

When it comes to growing out hair shrinkage is a curlies worst enemy. >.<

kitschy
August 30th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I understand. :grouphug::flowers::grouphug::hifive: