PDA

View Full Version : For the oil users

bookworm_10
August 29th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Which oil works best for you? Why do you use it? How did you come do decide to use that one?

I'm still experimenting to find the right one. I'm on coconut right now.

Kathie
August 29th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Sweet almond and EVOO work best for me as leave ins. While I chose to use coconut oil as a pre-wash oil based on the literature that states it has protective qualities.

I've tried all sorts of other oils and butters- jojoba, mango butter, shea butter, coco-butter. I like sweet almond oil and EVOO because they soak in and leave my hair soft and tangle free. The others don't have these qualities.

swetiepeti
August 29th, 2011, 09:25 PM
My husband hates a warm house and so my coconut oil is usually semi solid if he's in town (I like a warmer house and so pure liquid when he is out of town). This plays a factor into how I use my oils.
I have a tiny snap top plastic bowel of coconut oil in my bathroom that I dip my finger into and then rub my hands together and then put on the underneath and bottom/ends of my hair after CO washing. If my hair after air drying is feeling dry at the ends I'll dip, rub hands, spread on hair, comb then brush, repeating until it no longer looks dry. I also use the coconut oil fairly liberally as a pre CO wash oil on the bottom 4-6 inches to keep them from overdrying. I have to CO wash abot every 2-3 days to keep my scalp from looking like a grease pit.

I have Argan Oil and Jojoba oil that I put put about half a teaspoon each into SMT deep conditioning treatments every week (I'm happily doing the weekly deeply conditioning challenge). I also will put a drop of either onto my hands rub, then put on the underside then on the top of dry hair to impart a bit of shine. Underneath first as it tends to get the oil sucked out of it when rubbing against clothing and rubbed hair needs a bit more protection I think and second, doing the underside first keeps me from over oiling bits of the top and looking "oily".... even with only a drop of oil. I like the Argan and Jojoba for dry hair as they seem to be a bit lighter. However if I put in early, the coconut oil tends to soak in more.

Price also pays a factor as a quart of coconut costs me what 4 ounces of Argan or Jojoba does.

Cassie 123
August 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM
For oil as an after-wash leave-in, I use a mixture of roughly equal parts of camellia, argan, meadowfoam seed, and fractionated coconut. I tried out camellia and argan oils because of rave reviews from others, and I found that they work well for me, too. I bought meadowfoam seed oil because of a study somewhere that lists it as a "partially penetrating oil" for hair, and it does work well for me. I use fractionated coconut because, like regular coconut oil, it has those small, straight saturated fatty acids that get right inside the hair cortex and prevent protein loss, but it is highly refined and my hair really drinks it up without getting gunky.

I'm still experimenting with different mixtures of coconut or palm oils for heavy pre-wash oiling. I'm sticking with those types because they penetrate and adhere to the inside of the hair the best.

I've tried some oils that I do not like: jojoba oil and shea butter (and products containing them) make my hair look dull and coated. No way to know until you try, though.

danacc
August 29th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Coconut oil works best for me.

I use it:
- Liberally on the length as a pre-wash treatment. Then I wash it off later using a CO-worthy conditioner.
- Very, very lightly--using just a glistening on my palms--to oil the ends when they are being tangly.
- Liberally on my scalp to loosen flakes and help control seborrheic dermatitis.
- Very lightly on my face as a moisturizer that will sooth rather than trigger a seborrheic dermatitis flare-up there.

I first tried coconut oil because of the high recommendation from LHC and the scientific studies that show is reduces protein loss from the hair when washing. I sometimes us olive oil on the length instead during the cold months because I don't like dealing with hardened coconut oil.

Mountaingrrl
August 30th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I apply coconut oil to damp hair after a wash, or to mix in with shampoo, or as a pre-treatment. I'll also use argan oil just after a wash or applied to dry hair in between wash days.

Heavier oils, like castor, avocado, jojoba and shea, work well for me in pre-wash/overnight treatments. Carrot oil has worked well to moisturize, but I don't like the smell. Olive oil/EVOO was hard to wash out, for me.

Raiscake
August 30th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I use coconut oil on towel-dried hair after I washed it, then sunflower oil when it's about 80 to 90% dry.

cheshire90
August 30th, 2011, 07:35 AM
coconut oil, I use it as a leave in.

Carolyn
August 30th, 2011, 07:47 AM
As an ashy blonde I like to use clear oils to avoid any added warm/gold tones. I use coconut and camellia oils almost exclusively now. Coconut oil is my pre-wash overnight leave in and camellia oil is what I use on my ends.

lolawowa
August 30th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I use grape seed oil, just a small amount as a leave and as a treatment, I love it and use it for my face and body as well. It leaves my hair so soft and doesn't weigh it down. :D

terpentyna
August 30th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Coconut oil as pre-wash and in-between-wash when my ends get dry, and camelia oil as leave in are my favorites.

RitaPG
August 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I'm starting to think my hair like all oils :D
I use one drop of Monoi oil as a leave-in every other day, it has a very flowery scent and feels great on my hair.
Sometimes I use shea butter before braiding to keep it smooth and prevent frizz, and after it's braided I rub a little bit of jojoba for shine. I use very little, though, too much and it looks greasy.
The only time I use lots of coconut oil is before washing. Makes my hair really soft and shiny and I love how it smells. This one is my favourite :inlove:

bookworm_10
August 30th, 2011, 08:41 AM
How do you keep you hair from looking oily with the leave in?

(am I ever going to lose the "new user" status?)

spidermom
August 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I haven't tried a lot of oils. Coconut and olive oil work equally well, and I like the scent of coconut, so I stick with it. I use it liberally as a pre-wash treatment.

I've also used sweet almond oil as a protective treatment when I'm going swimming. I apply it liberally, then braid snugly.

headtrip_honey
August 30th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I've used jojoba oil as an overnight leave in, but I've never tried the wet hair application.

I don't use conditioner, because a) my hair greases quickly without it, and conditioner no matter how light weighs my already light hair down, b) my hair almost never splits so I don't seem to need it for that reason and c) I'm usually able to maintain enough moisture with just occasional overnight treatments.

However during the winter my hair can get quite dry and flyaway. I may have to try a little oil on the ends when damp.

YepLilly
August 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I'm still trying different oils, but right now I like coconut oil as a pre-wash. I also have some castor oil and grapeseed oil that sometimes I put on my scalp.

I haven't mastered oils as leave-ins yet, I always seem to use way too much :p

celebriangel
August 30th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I've used jojoba oil as an overnight leave in, but I've never tried the wet hair application.

I don't use conditioner, because a) my hair greases quickly without it, and conditioner no matter how light weighs my already light hair down, b) my hair almost never splits so I don't seem to need it for that reason and c) I'm usually able to maintain enough moisture with just occasional overnight treatments.

However during the winter my hair can get quite dry and flyaway. I may have to try a little oil on the ends when damp.

I'm pretty sure there's a member here who also hates conditioner, and her wash routine is shampoo + oil when damp. I'm pretty sure that, when your hair gets longer, you're going to need something more than just shampoo otherwise your ends will get dry.

thestookem
August 30th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I've had to change my coconut oiling routine recently because I've stopped using silicone products in my hair.

Before going cone-less I would Oil my hair Saturday nights and shampoo my hair on Sunday morning, and that's all the shampoo and oil my hair needed. Any more oiling and it wouldn't soak into my hair and more shampoo would leave my scalp hair dry. The rest of the week was CO every morning and water rinse (+Braid) in the evening before bed.

This last Sunday I clarified my hair and heavily oiled my hair scalp and length. Upon waking up Monday morning ALL the oil was gone. I'm going to keep heavily oiling my hair till it stops absorbing. I still CO wash every morning, but without the cones, and braid my hair at night.

I might have to oil every night If I stay cone-less. The results so far are great though.

Pantha
August 30th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Coconut works best, although I do occasionally use olive oil if I havent got any coconut oil. I use generally only use oil as a pre-wash thing but I do occasionally oil just my ends if they are drying. Coconut is best for me, as olive oil tends to leave my hair looking greasy even though I use shampoo.

headtrip_honey
August 30th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a member here who also hates conditioner, and her wash routine is shampoo + oil when damp. I'm pretty sure that, when your hair gets longer, you're going to need something more than just shampoo otherwise your ends will get dry.

Oh, I'm sure I will. I've tried looking into cone-free conditioners, and they seem to be better (for my own personal preference, anyway), so maybe oil will be the way to go. I'll experiment this weekend, when I can do a quick fix if I end up looking greasy.

pinchbeck
September 8th, 2011, 09:43 AM
For oil as an after-wash leave-in, I use a mixture of roughly equal parts of camellia, argan, meadowfoam seed, and fractionated coconut. I tried out camellia and argan oils because of rave reviews from others, and I found that they work well for me, too. I am interested in both argan and meadfoam seed oils. Can either of these be used alone without being mixed with other oils? If so, what is their performance? I currently alternate between coconut oil and babassu oils . Thanks!

nobeltonya
September 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I've found that using a concoction of: 1/4 amla oil, 1/4 pure coconut oil and 1/2 Dabur Vatika enriched coconut oil w/amla, henna and lemon works the best for me.. b/c each of them by themselves has some problem.. the enriched oil makes my ends crunchy by itself, the regular coconut oil didn't seem to absorb as well, and the amla oil is too heavy. But together they seem to be magical. :) Even after a heavy oiling, my hair actually absorbs it all. And, it stays liquid for a few days [barring supremely cold weather] so I don't have to melt it like the coconut oil.. I still run it under warm water for like a minute to warm it, but otherwise it's ready to go. And, the main thing that spurred my mixing these together was that I'm almost out of the amla oil, and so I mixed them to make more oil... I would still like to try argan or almond oils at some point..:disco:

Roscata
September 8th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Which oil works best for you?
Coconut oil. Sometimes I use EVOO or avocado oil (I'm trying them out) and I stopped using Castor oil (too sticky / hard to wash out / didn't get the results I was looking for).

Why do you use it?
I use coconut oil as a pre-wash overnight oiling for my scalp to help prevent itching and for my hair to prevent protein loss and minimize mechanical damage.

How did you come do decide to use that one?
I looked at polls on LHC to see which oils worked most often for people and chose to try out the ones most people liked, I figured that gives me a better chance of finding what works for me, faster, with less costs. :D

Cassie 123
September 8th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I am interested in both argan and meadfoam seed oils. Can either of these be used alone without being mixed with other oils? If so, what is their performance? I currently alternate between coconut oil and babassu oils . Thanks!

Many people love using straight argan oil! I just mix different oils together because I like to have the fun of mixing (ahead of time, when I'm not rushed) plus the convenience of only having to reach for a single bottle when it's time to apply.

As for meadowfoam seed oil - I purchased it based on a single, often-quoted sentence summarizing a study on the penetration ability of oils, here (http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/14/two-natural-oils-that-make-your-hair-shiny-and-strong/). "Meadowfoam seed oil partially penetrates," states the article, which then goes on to say that mixing oils might enhance penetration, without really going on to explain why. But meadowfoam seed is a nice oil, clear and light and rich and nonstinky and inexpensive, and so I don't mind adding it to my mix based on the idea that it might do some good.

Cainwen
September 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I use coconut oil and sweet almond oil. The coconut oil gets used a lot--I put some on the ends every night when I braid my hair, I use some as a prewash oiling, and I put it on my hair when its damp for a variety of reasons. The sweet almond oil mostly gets used on my scalp. I'll put a little on whenever it gets itchy/dry and I'll put some on my scalp before I wash.

dulce
September 8th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I use A&G serum from my local salon,since my hair is fine, many natural oils make it too flat but this is light,doesn't weigh it down and moisturizes.So experiment to see what works with your hair type.

ssjhotau2
September 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
So far I've only used EEVO, Coconut oil, Jojoba oil, and Vitamin E oil.

Depends on what I'm using it for.

The Jojoba oil never really seemed to do anything for my hair or my skin so I just add a few drops to whatever moisture treatment I'm doing to use it up.

EEVO I can only use in deep moisture treatments- it is way to heavy for my hair and hard for me to wash out. My length doesn't hold up to even gentle shampoo very well and each time I've tried it on its own I've had to shampoo several times to get rid of that heavy/greasy feeling. However- it seems to wash out very easily if combined with yogurt or avocado or conditioner :shrug:

Coconut Oil I know is the forum favorite- but even it is heavy on my hair... I don't know why, but I don't get the amazing results everyone else does anymore. I got some results at first- The oil would absorb into my hair and leave it soft and shiny. I loved coconut oil. But now I just use it mostly as an overnight treatment before I CWC and a moisturizer for my hands.

Vitamin E oil I bought on a whim. I saw it while I was buying my vitamins and I got it for my skin (my hands get horribly dry handling money all day). I always run my hands through my hair after using the oils to get rid of any excess and the E oil seemed to absorb almost instantly. So now every evening and afternoon and pretty much whenever- I apply E oil to my hair and it feels so soft and light- not weight down by the oil at all.

I currently have avocado oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil, and shea butter lounging in my amazon cart waiting for me to get some wasting money :p And I would also like to try the Nightblooming Panacea - again- whenever it comes that I have money to burn.

moon2dove
September 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm pretty new here and have only changed my bad hair washing habit for a couple of months I started of using co wash only and Coconut oil, which my hair loved. For the first time last week I changed to using Rhassoul clay then Argan oil. My hair rebelled. This week I am going to try (as suggested on another thread) mixing Argan with the Coconut oil tomorrow. :)

Can I ask a question? If I'm on the wrong thread to ask, please tell me :( gently) ! :)

Can I stop using ALL shop bought shampoo's and conditioners and use some sort of natural poo's and co's. If so can you suggest any recipes, please
Thank you for your patience with this Newbie :0

slz
September 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Can I stop using ALL shop bought shampoo's and conditioners and use some sort of natural poo's and co's. If so can you suggest any recipes, please
Thank you for your patience with this Newbie :0
You might want to look a bit around the "Herbal haircare (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)" subforum - I'd suggest you try indian herbs, there's a thread dedicated to them. What works best with me (better than any other shampoo, CO or whatnot) is a mix of amla and shikakai powders - pure plant powders.

moon2dove
September 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Thank you :) I'll try there.
Can you tell me, is there a list or something that tells me what the length abbreviations mean?

Thanks again :)

slz
September 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Yes there is a post for this, I have no idea where it is though :o , sorry !

SpinDance
September 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
moon2dove, it sounds like you may be making too many changes too fast. Everyone is different. What makes one persons hair happy makes another persons hair rebel. The only way to know what works for you is to do careful, slow experiments over a long time. If things stop working, go back to what worked last, keep with it for a while until your hair is happy again, then start by changing one thing at a time again. Each change should be tested over 2-8 weeks, unless your hair tells you it doesn't like it. You don't have to continue anything it doesn't like, of course!

Keep records and enjoy the process. Read and re-read the Articles section, particularly the newbie advice articles. Lots of good stuff there.

Macaroni
September 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I found this formula here at LHC and I apologize for not giving credit. I thought I made a subscription to the thread, but nope!

I use this in a spray bottle prior to co washing:

1 TB organic coconut oil
1 TB castor oil
8-9 drops tea tree essential oil
8-9 drops lavender essential oil
8-9 drops rosemary essential oil
8 oz. of rosewater

Shake well, it has a tendency to separate so keep shaking it while using it.

moon2dove
September 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Re : SpinDance
Thank you for your advice.
(I think I'm running before I can walk, trying too many things at once.)

I will try Rhassoul clay and Argan oil for at least another couple of weeks and keep notes. :)

moon2dove
September 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM
P.s ... I think I also got carried awy with the Argan oil and slathered my hair in it, leaving it a greasy oil slick ! (I love saying 'slathered')

:)

SusanSt
September 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM
So far I'm using coconut oil the most. (both as a heavy application pre-wash, and as a light leave-in on dry hair) I tried olive oil, but it was too heavy for my hair and hard to wash out.

Melanie Marie
September 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Coconut oil is by far the best for me, but it's too heavy to use on a daily basis. For daily use I have sweet almond oil and amla oil (the latter of which I haven't used for quite some time :shrug:), you know, rather light oils.

I was contemplating giving grape seed oil a shot as well. Worse comes to worst and it's too heavy, I can always pour it over a salad. :p

Audhumla
September 9th, 2011, 04:10 PM
So far Almond Oil works best for me but I haven't been experimenting for very long. I've tried coconut and camellia oil as well but I haven't managed to get them to work for me yet. I use Almond Oil in my SMTs to replace the honey because I don't think honey works that well for my hair and the almond oil leaves it really soft and shiny. I tried camellia oil in an SMT and it just didn't seem to work. Coconut oil I've tried overnight as a pre-wash and it didn't work that great either.

McFearless
September 9th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Thank you :) I'll try there.
Can you tell me, is there a list or something that tells me what the length abbreviations mean?

Thanks again :)
Pixie
NL - neck length
CL - chin length
APL - armpit length
BSL - bra strap length
WL - waist length (smallest part of your waist)
HL - hip length
TBL - tailbone length
Classic - where the butt meets the thighs :p
Upper thigh
Lower thigh
Knee
Ankle
Floor

There is a photo marking each length but I can't find it at the moment.

moon2dove
September 10th, 2011, 11:25 AM
@McFearless
Thank you for the list :)

Blimey!! My hair is longer than I thought! :) but different lengths, Probs due to I haven't had a trim for a year and I'm Not going to touch a pair of shears or I might go mad and I'm liking the long bits too much. Reason being, My hair only usually gets to APL and stops! Since I've stopped using heat and shampoo and changing my hair wash routine. It's grown!!! Yayyy
It's quite fine, but hoping to wait a little while longer before I trim :) :)

Zenity
September 10th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I started a thread asking the diference between camellia and macadamia oils, but! silly me I put “cassia“ instead of camellia on it... so, asking again....

Can anyone tell me about those two oils? How they compare or not?

Thanks!

Lucky
September 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I may be one of the rare people here whose hair doesn't do well with coconut oil...

I have had good luck with avocado oil, sweet almond oil and argan oil (my hair LOVES argan oil). The verdict is still out on castor oil, I've been trying it to boost growth, but it seems to dry my scalp out and makes it break out :( However, it does make my hair very soft, so I might try it on my ends. I tend to do mostly post wash oilings (just a drop or so on wet ends) or pre-wash treatments.

Lianna
September 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
No coconut for me either. The best ones for me are grapeseed, wheat germ, sweet almond or olive oil. Shea butter is okay too, in tiny amounts.

Castor oil on scalp for growth is a must. :p

moon2dove
September 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
No coconut for me either. The best ones for me are grapeseed, wheat germ, sweet almond or olive oil. Shea butter is okay too, in tiny amounts.

Castor oil on scalp for growth is a must. :p

I've heard so many good things on TLHT about caster oil to encourage hair growth;)
Can you please tell me:confused:
how often you use it?
Do you wash it out, or leave it in?
If you wash it out, How ?
Thank you:)

PixxieStix
September 10th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I am a coconut oil user! I adore the stuff, and currently use it :

-As a post CO wash leave in, rubbing a few drops on my hands and then through the ends of towel dried hair for softness and shine.
- As a heavy deep conditioning treatment, just put enough in it looks wet, put under a shower cap for an hour or two and CO two or three times to get the excess off.
-Mixed with avocado oil for my skin as a moisturizer
- On my face at night as a moisturizer
- As an eye make up remover
- I've been eating 1-2 TBSP a day in order to help improve my "good" fat intake to promote healthy skin and hair from the inside as well as the outside . I also cook with it.

My other oils are avocado and jojoba, but I just started experimenting with those. I know my skin looooooves avocado, and mixed with the coconut it keeps my skin soft and glowing for over 24 hours. I tried the jojoba on my face and it felt a little thick, even when mixed with the coconut oil, and I'm going to give it a try as a leave in some time to see how it goes because I've heard so many good things about it.

I haven't read anything about castor oil for growth though, can anyone point me in the direction for information on THAT?! My hair is only growing at 1/2 an inch a month and it's driving me crazy, lol!

Lianna
September 10th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I've heard so many good things on TLHT about caster oil to encourage hair growth;)
Can you please tell me:confused:
how often you use it?
Do you wash it out, or leave it in?
If you wash it out, How ?
Thank you:)

We have a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265) just for that. Unfortunally I don't follow it anymore.

I'm using it just twice or three times a week now, though I used everyday for a while. I either leave it overnight or just 30 minutes before my shower. It is washable just with conditioner, but I use shampoo because my scalp likes shampoo better. It's very thick so I put half olive oil and half castor oil. It does help my hair growth. :)

ETA: PixxieStix, half inch is the "normal" amount of growth though. With castor oil I get 0.8 max but some people get more.