PDA

View Full Version : Hair freakouts!

Rusticular
August 29th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Most of us here, I've observed, are pretty attached to our locks. When something happens to it, some can be devastated, while others are quite rational about it. Everyone has a line that when crossed drives them 'off their rocker', and no one ever really wants to get anywhere near it..

Personally, when it comes to my hair I can occasionally freak out over the slightest changes. Last night, for example, I was massaging my scalp with a little coconut oil. Next thing I know I've suddenly got about three times as much hair fall as I normally would, maybe more. Comb a bit; 'oh that's weird.' Comb a bit more and it's 'OHMYGOD', leap up out of my chair dropping everything to literally run to the bathroom to wash my hair out. I was suddenly convinced my hair was going to fall out entirely(my, what a fragile little hair-ego I have), with visions of clumps just pulling out.

Then of course I got out of the shower, thought about it for a second, and had to laugh. 'What a dick.' A few more hairs isn't balding, I've got hundreds upon hundreds more. :rolleyes: Coulda thought it through before I spilled all my paint water on the carpet.

So we all have ridiculously irrational hair-related moments(c'mon, I can't be the only one) from time to time. Share them with me, so I don't feel like such a moron!

Crocus
August 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I woke up the other night all freaked out as I was having a dream that all my hair was matted and felt like one of those hemp door mats AND it was coming out in clumps when I was trying to brush it.

I really was wigged out when I woke up and had to feel my hair to make sure that it wasn't all matted and gross. After that I was like, "No more reading LHC before bed." (which you can see didn't last very long as it is almost bedtime LOL)

CurlyCap
August 29th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I have an obsession with the way my hair curls.

I know that if I let it dry untouched, I'll get spirals. If I sleep on those spirals, in the morning I'll have big curls. By late afternoon the next day, I'll have a few hours of Vogue editorial hair...and then a black, evil cloud. :D

However, despite knowing this progression as well as my own name, I still freak out while my hair is drying, going "OMG. IT'S NOT CURLING. IT'S GOING TO LOOK INSANE."

This is why my front curl always looks mutilated. I boing it to death before I go to sleep making sure it's still "curly".

Le sigh.

Kathie
August 29th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I haven't had any recently... I use to freak out when I'd color my hair. For one- I'd get a fright when I saw myself in the mirror, and sometimes if the color was bad I would get a fright when I looked in the mirror and then freak out about what I was going to do to fix the mess I'd made.

Eternal.Fiend
September 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I always have one when I'm combing my hair and it gets tangly, which is all the time.... I just have images of me breaking all my hair and it being horrible, so it takes me like half an hour to comb it out properly :P

I had a major one the other day, I was wearing my hair straight for the first time in foerver (there is normally some sort of braid waves in it) and it just showed up the split I had in my hair.... and because of my layers, i looked like I had them throughout the last 3 inches of my hair, rather then the last half inch they really were. I just wanted to cut all my hair off, it look horrible :( Instead, lots of S&D's to get the splits off, and have been babying my ends. They look better already :)

Hamh
September 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Personally, when it comes to my hair I can occasionally freak out over the slightest changes. Last night, for example, I was massaging my scalp with a little coconut oil. Next thing I know I've suddenly got about three times as much hair fall as I normally would, maybe more. Comb a bit; 'oh that's weird.' Comb a bit more and it's 'OHMYGOD', leap up out of my chair dropping everything to literally run to the bathroom to wash my hair out. I was suddenly convinced my hair was going to fall out entirely(my, what a fragile little hair-ego I have), with visions of clumps just pulling out.

I wonder if there is something to this... When I first joined LHC and tried coconut oilings I got a bit carried away and coated my scalp and hair for DTs. After only a few goes at this I had manic shedding, to the point where I was begging my mum to tell me I was not going bald!!!! I was completely paranoid and convinced my hair was falling out. I stopped the oilings and the shedding stopped too thank god!! Way too scared to put coconut oil on my scalp again, but did try with triple moon anointing oil a couple of days ago with success and no falling. Desperately trying to find something to help mild psoriasis I have on head.....

celebriangel
September 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I find it really hard to comb my hair when it's dry directly after a wash - it seems to be "too clean" for a day and detangling tools don't slide smoothly through it.

Often I ear a *snap* and immediately feel terrible/paranoid. I think maybe I should put some oil on my hair once it's dry - I already oil damp, but I think my hair soaks it up/it's not lubricating enough, because it still feels kinda squeaky clean once it's dry.

Cowgirl16
September 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I really freaked out earlier this year while going through a massive shed. I cried alot and worried that I would not have a much hair left, if any when the shed was through. :rolleyes: Well here I am 2 months later; although my hair is much thinner, it is growing and I have a zillion new hairs sticking up all over my head:cheese:

spidermom
September 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'm pretty casual about my hair. I think it would take lice, chewing gum, or somebody hacking off my braid to freak me out these days.

Cowgirl16
September 7th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I'm pretty casual about my hair. I think it would take lice, chewing gum, or somebody hacking off my braid to freak me out these days.

I worry about all those things:eek:

Charybdis
September 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I'm usually pretty casual about my hair too, but a couple of months ago I started freaking out about how much thinner the front of my hair was, especially along the hairline above my forehead and at the temples. I've always had thick hair that grows fast, which is why I've been cavalier about it in the past -- I've always known it'll grow back from any damage in short order. But unexplained thinning?! Yikes! It had been coming on for a couple of years and I'd chalked it up to aging, but I was suddenly noticing a WHOLE lot more scalp than I was comfortable with.

I'm fairly confident now that the thinning was due to near-daily Zyrtec use the last couple of years -- I stopped taking it about a month ago and am already seeing sprouts filling in at the temples. (If you take Zyrtec and are reading this, don't freak out. Hair loss is a known potential side effect, but a rare one.)

Apparently I am willing to put up with a bit more sneeziness and itchiness in order to have the thickness of hair I am used to. I also finally picked up some castor oil today and have applied it diluted 1:6 with equal parts coconut and apricot kernel oil. Hoping for more sprouts! :)

Cassie 123
September 7th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Earlier this week, my youngest son, 8 months, crawled up to me while I was lying on the bed, grabbed my beloved renegray streak, and yanked half a dozen hairs (2 dark ones and four long, snow-white hairs) right out of my scalp. Ow ow ow shudder: and, yes, a bit of a freakout.

ange1ito
September 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Haha I was crying last night because I did the strand test for shedding. I got about 6 after the tug. As I have just started getting growth you can imagine I was'nt pleased. Boy oh boy some days I wish hair did not cause so many problems.

StephanieB
September 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I must not be normal. I don't have any such freak-out moments. I guess, with all that's happened to my hair in my lifetime, I just don't sweat the small stuff anymore with my hair..... and it's all small stuff.

I wish I could apply that ^ to the rest of my life, now... lol

amantha
September 7th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I'm currently kind of going through a hair freak out. My hair has been shedding a lot more than usual since May and it feels thinner to me. This led me to recently join the LHC to find solutions. I'm still paranoid my hair looks too thin....especially at the temples and near the front of my head.

I've been on a super high level of a birth control pill to treat PCOS since January. I'm wondering if it's somehow now finally affecting my hair. I would think super high estrogen would make your hair shed less?

But yeah....pretty much every time I wash my hair and collect the hair from the drain and comb my hair and collect the fallen ones from the carpet I have a mini freak out.

Charybdis
September 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I just don't sweat the small stuff anymore with my hair..... and it's all small stuff.

I wish I could apply that ^ to the rest of my life, now... lol

If you figure out the secret to doing that, please be sure to come back here and post what it is! 'Cause that rest of us want that ability too! :p

Chetanlaiho
September 7th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Everytime I shower or most of the times I comb I feel like I'm going bald D= and somebody cutting it off in public, and it getting caught on fire, getting caught between me and my seat, etc. etc. etc. etc. xD