PDA

View Full Version : Did LHC take over page 3 of the Daily Mail on Thursday?

Pantha
August 29th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Did anyone else see Thursdays page three, it had an article about a girl who is 11 who has "never cut her hair" and so it is knee length, and an article telling people about the benifits of coconut oil since Miranda Kerr (I hadn't got a clue who she was, some model aparently) has been using it every day in cooking, aparently Holland and Barretts "sales had shot up by 50 per cent" and their nutritionist has told everyone its great for dry skin and hair. So expect prices to rise and availability to fall now everyone knows our secret.

I'll see if I can find a website with it on or something.

Anje
August 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Apologies... I managed to confuse this with page 3 of the Sun.

That was alarming enough that I had to read the thread.

Pantha
August 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I found the article on the girl, its a lot longer article on the web,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2029563/Real-life-Rapunzel-Aimee-Chase-finally-gets-haircut-prepares-secondary-school.html

And heres the Coconut article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2029573/Victorias-Secret-supermodel-Miranda-Kerrs-coconut-oil-beauty-secret.html

Or as they were in the newspaper,

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

Pantha
August 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM

Sorry for the confusion, but goes to show that the Suns page three is definatly an attention grabber.

mrs.bad85
August 29th, 2011, 05:54 PM
What?:confused:
Hair grows 6 inches a year and slows down as it gets longer? Has this happened to anyone here?
I am currently growing 1 inch a month.

BeckyAH
August 29th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Hair grows 6 inches a year and slows down as it gets longer? Has this happened to anyone here?

Half an inch a month is average. Getting slower with length, I think, is a myth - but it does become more likely to break, and it does have a 'terminal length' (which is actually terminal *time*) where it stops growing. Hair does not grow indefinitely.

jojo
August 29th, 2011, 07:04 PM

yes that is correct hair does on average grow 6" a year if your lucky. I get an inch from December to February and then my growth gets a lot slower but averages at 6" a year. We do have a member who got 2" a month but this is very unusual. I think its a myth that hair growth slows down the longer it gets though, its just less noticeable on very long hair; less body marks and stuff!

PraiseCheeses
August 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Wow, her hair is in amazing condition!

Lunnafindel
August 29th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Hey no fair! I had knee-length hair when I was 11 and no one wrote an article about me :P A lot of LHCers deserve more publicity than this girl who's CUTTING her hair. Anyone can cut their hair - it's a lot more interesting if you can maintain it. *righteous LHC anger*
I love the idea that LHC has taken over a major paper...I wonder if they hacked our site to get ideas? ;)

pink.sara
August 30th, 2011, 12:20 AM

Yes, I only grow 6 inches a year if I'm lucky and also found that by the time my hair got to knee the growth was at that stage where I don't think it would have gotten any longer. (reaching terminal.)

Treasure that 1inch! :)

humble_knight
August 30th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Hey no fair! I had knee-length hair when I was 11 and no one wrote an article about me :P A lot of LHCers deserve more publicity than this girl who's CUTTING her hair. Anyone can cut their hair - it's a lot more interesting if you can maintain it. *righteous LHC anger*
I love the idea that LHC has taken over a major paper...I wonder if they hacked our site to get ideas? ;)

Unfortunately, the media thinks it's interesting when a person cuts their Rapunzel locks. It's been like that in the British media for ages. I only remember one positive news article about a 70-yr-old lady who still had long locks - somewhere below knees, I think.

MissManda
August 30th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I think the confusion was in regards to this part... boldface mine:

Human hair grows at roughly six inches a year at its fastest but slows down the longer it gets.

I can't stop laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of that statement. :rollin:

McFearless
August 30th, 2011, 01:11 AM

Not true! If you are healthy it will keep on growing. It only stops if you've reached terminal length, and I doubt you're anywhere near that. :)

Rosetta
August 30th, 2011, 02:47 AM
What a lovely hair this girl has! :) Just a pity she's about to cut it, but even so...

Mesmerise
August 30th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Well yeah, the girl has long hair, and it's nice... but errm...there's more spectacular locks here on LHC!

As for hair growth slowing down as it gets longer...I'd say YES if it's hitting terminal :rolleyes:. Other than that, the hair follicles have no idea what's going on and thus the hair just keeps on growing normally.

I also laughed at how the girl is "only" 4'11"... well doh she's 11... that's sort of normal for 11 (and apparently normal for me too :p). Just seems a funny thing to say about a kid who obviously hasn't finished growing.

Ishje
August 30th, 2011, 03:09 AM
that little girl has gorgeous hair! a shame she is going to cut it.
ah well, it is her head and if it makes her happy then it is all good as well of course.
but still...

Alaia
August 30th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Yeah I find it a bit annoying that the story is just about her cutting it. Having said that, it sounds like it's her choice and they are doing a charity thing with it so that's great! That's also why it's in the papers.

Her cousin who will be cutting her hair... the picture of her hovering with the scissors I find a bit alarming.

Chetanlaiho
August 30th, 2011, 05:05 AM
You know you spend too much time on the LHC when you read that the women with the world record for the longest hair washes her hair everyday and wonder how much longer her hair could get if she didn't xD

AlexiaBlue
August 30th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I love the color of her hair and am sad she's chopping it. :(

Belisarius
August 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM

Complete hijack, but I am so happy that I am not the only one with my mind in the gutter.