PDA

View Full Version : Weird short hairs

Ardenlyn
August 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Couldn't find a topic about this.
I saw frizzy but is this a kind of frizzy hair too?
Is it "normal" a way that the hair can grow?
The rest of my hair is longer than that.
(hope my english is ok haha)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6203/6093226962_cb79cb0242.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6208/6093227642_e36d1f635f.jpg

Here you can see it too.
It is all around my hair.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6201/6092688595_4768431581.jpg

giuditta
August 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
To me they look like new babyhairs grown longer but I'm no expert...

nobeltonya
August 29th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I have that too.. some in front of my ears [around my temples] that stick almost straight out from my head sometimes... and some around the nape of my neck around my hairline. And some on the very top of my head around my part. Either new growth or broken old hairs? *shrugs* Just waiting for them to grow out lol

BlazingHeart
August 29th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I have wispies like that around most of my hairline. The hair at the hairline is often thinner and more fragile than the rest of your hair, and it gets put under more stress, especially along the front hairline. Even babied, those hairs are so fragile on me that they are always delicate and short.

If you wear ponytails a lot, you may also be experiencing ponytail breakage, where the repeated strain and friction from the ponytail breaks hairs off at where you put your ponytail holder.

~Blaze

Signe
August 29th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Doesn't everyone's hairline do that to some extent? I know mine always has, and I used to NEVER put my hair up, so it couldn't have just been broken hairs from elastics or something. Your wispy hairs look perfectly normal to me!

agoddess2die4
August 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I've got those, some at the nape of my neck, but mostly at my temples. Mine are extremely fine and kind of curly (sometimes). Mine aren't damage related (I've had them since I was a toddler) and can't grow more than a few inches. I kind of like them though, when my hair is up it gives it a kind of romantic wispy look when they behave. Sometimes they go crazy though and either create a fuzzy "halo" around my head when my hair up or more defined curl-ish things that get called my "devil horns" because they stick out at my temples. hahaha.

Ardenlyn
August 29th, 2011, 01:41 PM
babyhair...wispies.....i like the sound of that hahaha :D

Glad that I am "normal" with these hairs.
Don't think they are broken.

Thank you all.

Looking in the mirror...I like them. kinda cute hahah

Roscata
August 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah I have those too, in my case they are new growth coming in because I started treating my hair more gently. It looks pretty normal to me. :D

neko_kawaii
August 29th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Yep, short fine hairs at the temples, around the ears and at the nape. Mine don't grow longer than about 4-6 inches and occasionally turn themselves into nice spirals if the humidity is high enough, the moon is blue and Mars is in retrograde. Or maybe they are earthquake predictors. . .

GRU
August 29th, 2011, 01:56 PM
My opinion is that these are hairs that are kind of caught in the middle between being "facial/skin" hairs (with an itty bitty terminal length) and being longer "scalp" hairs with a much longer terminal length.

In other words, your "skin" hair only grows for maybe a couple of weeks before that hair is shed naturally and the follicle starts to grow a new replacement hair. But your "scalp" hair typically grows for about seven years (give or take / YMMV) before the hair is shed and a new hair started. The follicles all around the perimeter of your scalp are kind of caught in a No Man's Land -- they grow too long to be facial/skin hair, but they get shed before they're long enough to be scalp hair.

lapelosa
August 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Yep, short fine hairs at the temples, around the ears and at the nape. Mine don't grow longer than about 4-6 inches and occasionally turn themselves into nice spirals if the humidity is high enough, the moon is blue and Mars is in retrograde. Or maybe they are earthquake predictors. . .
Ha! That made me smile. That's exactly how I feel about my own hair.

I bet that somebody does charts correlating the weather and the state of their hair.

Yame
August 29th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I have these around my hairline and on my nape, but also all over, mixed in with my longer "regular" hairs.

adiapalic
August 29th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Always seen them called wispies here. I think GRU is onto something! ;)

Quetiepi
August 29th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I have them, too, and they often get matted, especially on the right side for some strange reason. It's annoying as all get out. I remember being a little girl & this would happen to me even then. I comb my hair frequently to keep it under control. This hair mats even when I put my hair in a braid.

archel
August 29th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I have this too and for the first time ever the hairs around my nape and temples is growing because of the castor oil scalp treatments. Doesn't bother me any; they smooth down pretty well with a BBB and the little ones at the nape are sorta cute hanging down.

Rusticular
August 29th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Pretty normal; I've got a TON at the base of my neck. I don't know about a shorter terminal length, because they're so fine and break easily. Mine have grown out to a decent length at times, but that's when they started to dread and catch other hairs in ridiculous tangles almost impossible to get out.

Moor_tu_lyfe
August 29th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I have these. I seem to have a couple of different lengths of these going on at once. When I stopped breastfeeding and starting shedding (big time:thud:) it took a while, but soon my new growth happened all at once. It was more noticable around my hairline and nape of neck.

Recently I've been trying to go water only washing- and having a terribly oily transition period :(. However my folicles must be liking it because I've noticed another growth spurt of tiny hairs all over!:cheese: Hopefully my hair will thicken up to what it use to be like when they all grow out!!

Ardenlyn
August 30th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Thanks everyone!
So glad more people have it.
Was a bit scared I treated my hair bad.

Come to think of it I normaly have my hair straight down to the sides of my head.
Now with making buns I wear my hair to the back.
Maybe I had then al the time and never noticed them until now.

I think they are cute my babyhair whispies in No Man's Land hahaha.

Dorothy
August 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I also think they're normal. What I find is at the beginning of the day, in an updo, they will just go along with the other hair and lay upwards in my do, but as the day goes on, they all gradually wisp their way out, until I look quite fuzzyheaded. I sometimes like this, but when I don't want this - say I want to look devastatingly professional - after I do my updo, I put a little aloe vera gel on my hands and smooth upwards all around my hairline. This mostly works, but if it doesn't, the aloe vera seems to be reactivated by water, so I can go to the ladies and do a little tidying up.