PDA

View Full Version : Shedding/breakage?? why?

prairiegirl
August 29th, 2011, 09:14 AM
A year ago I went through a massive hair shed, or breakage, where I went from waist to bsl(where it is now). I also had this weird "layer" on the top of my head which broke off at 4-5 in. This was about the time I started no poo, could it have been from that? Does hair just break of at some point for no reason, or what?
My hair was soooo nice before that... nice and soft and looong with with waves on top and curls on the ends.... waaaaah:wail:
Sorry, I'll try to control my emotions... anyhow I am worried that it will happen again, does anyone have some tips to avoid breakage/ shedding?

Anje
August 29th, 2011, 09:36 AM
First, are the hairs on the top of your head actually broken? Do they have blunt or splitty looking ends? Or are they a nice smooth taper, which indicates that they're new hair that's growing out?

Second, are you wearing lots of ponytails or buns supported by an elastic? I had a nasty layer about that length that came from ponytail breakage. It took completely stopping wearing ponytailed styles and some patience, but that mess is finally grown out.

Third, when you say "no poo" do you mean you're washing with baking soda, or something else? In my opinion, baking soda washing is far too harsh for most people's hair (there are a few folks who do have good luck with it, I'll grant you). It's really drying, and dry hair is fragile. If you're not using conditioner, start now. Also, let us know exactly what you're washing with and what you've tried so far. You might do well with an alternative wash method like conditioner-only or using a sulfate-free shampoo if you're not a fan of standard sulfate shampoos. Using diluted shampoo is also popular around here and far less harsh on hair than undiluted.

prairiegirl
August 29th, 2011, 08:40 PM
The layer on top has mostly smooth ends, no splits... but yes I do wear my hair in a ponytail/bun a lot...I'll have to watch that!!
I CO wash my hair, occasionally rinse with ACV and herbal teas. I've done baking soda a few times but didn't like the result, so I quit that. I've never blowdried, curled, straightened, bleached, dyed, or done anything harsh to it- I was very gentle with brushing, too.

Anje
August 29th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hmm. Well, there goes the baking soda hypothesis. (Bicarb washes are described elsewhere online as "no poo", so that's my initial assumption when I see that term.) At least the ends of the top bit are smooth -- that makes me think you've just got a bunch of growth coming in, which can be annoying but is typically welcome.

The breakage that shortened your hair is still weird, though. Hair doesn't normally break off for no reason. My first thought is that a lot of people complain that hair gets thin or breaks off at BSLish, and it tends to trace back to friction, probably from chairs. Wearing buns (I prefer hairsticks to hold them, personally) and braids that stay over the shoulder seems to fix that problem for many of them.

If you've had issues with tangles due to buildup (silicones, proteins, minerals, who knows) or overmoisturization, that's another potential cause to look into. Notice any weird changes in hair, like sudden tangles or roughness or stretchiness or dryness that deep treatments won't fix?