PDA

View Full Version : Yet another, 'please give me support through my unwanted haircut!' post

pepperedmoth
June 29th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Sigh. The last time (before this current, unhappy haircut) that I went to a salon, I found the absolutely perfect stylist who was young, funky, covered in tattoos and pink hair, and listed VERY CAREFULLY to everything I said I wanted, and then asked me questions to clarify. I came away with, not surprisingly, exactly what I wanted.

So I went back to the same place this time, and was immediately whisked away by a 'mother knows best' sort of stylist who, granted, did NOT take off inches of length (thank goodness,) but didn't give me a chance to explain that I was growing out my shortest layers and hacked them right back to chin length. AARRRRGGHHHHHH.

I keep telling myself, 'At least it wasn't length. At least it wasn't length.' And heck, I'd been toying with keeping some super-short 'face-framing layers', and then having the rest of my hair in a blunt cut with long layers. But this is not at all like that. And I am frustrated. And now my hair seems much shorter than it was, even though I know it's not.

Hugs?

lilalong
June 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Hugs to you!!!!
The layers will grow out again.
It's hair, it grows, that's what it does.

akurah
June 29th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Yikes! Next time don't let anyone touch it but the tattooed girl?

Fireweed
June 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I would just not cut it for a good year or more.

nostalgic
June 29th, 2008, 09:20 AM
*Hugs!* I have very short hair (chin-ish) and have never really been afraid of haircuts; I'd just tell them what I wanted and go in with the mindset that it's just hair. However, I also found a couple of stylists that were very very good at interpreting my vague gestures and doing what suited my features. Ironically, now that I'm growing my hair, I might not trust those same people, ha!
I digress... my previous attitude aside, I'm sooo sorry. Reading that actually got me very very frustrated for you! What happened to that pink-haired girl? Once those layers start getting to where you want them, I'd go find her for any other hair issues!

Starr
June 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Next time make an appointment with your prefered stylist. . . so that you get the person you want to touch your hair- not just the one with an empty chair.

spidermom
June 29th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I'm really sorry you had to go through that. I'm not sure I understand, however, how this could happen. You always have the option of saying "no," standing up, grabbing the stylist's arm -- something. Even though I trust her, I watch everything my stylist does. There's no way she could do something unexpected to my hair.

GlennaGirl
June 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Hugs...and you know, layers can look cute. There's no law that says you have to have all-one-length hair. Our hair, like everything, changes constantly even if we don't cut it. The color, the grays, what it feels like doing on a given day, it's always changing. So this is just another change. See if you can have fun with it in the meantime and think of life as ever-changing and an adventure.

Curlsgirl
June 29th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I am sorry and it's too bad you didn't get what you wanted. I agree that either you should trim your own hair like a lot of us do or be VERY clear what you want when you go to a salon ideally asking for the same person you trust. Well you live and learn right and like you said at least it's not length!!! You could have fun with the layers and look at it like it adds variety to different hairstyles and softens your look a bit.

Hugs to you!!!!