PDA

View Full Version : Color Stripping question

Meowchi
August 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hello!!!!

Well my question is, im color stripping Black dye and i assume it will be a orangey yellow color by the time im done, im aiming for my natural color, a light ash blonde, im wondering...(i want to do at home color) what color will it be if i put the light ash blonde color over the color stripped hair?

I am thinking its going to be either less orangey, or it might just go green/gray.

I have tried honey lightening with cinnamon and it didn't want to take the color out D:

Dizzy_zzz
August 28th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Well, I have light ash blonde hair, too, and half a year ago I stripped unnatural red dye from my hair (Not quite the same, I know). Putting the ash blonde dye over the colour stripped hair would be pointless as it's such a light dye. Once you've used the stripper, use a toner to neutralize the orange (or grey-green) and make sure you find the right one for the colour you end up with (orange hair=use a purple or blue toner), and THEN use the dye. Ash is a fairly cool colour, so you want to tone out the warm colour as much as possible 'cause the ash dye won't cover much at all and it will probably stay an ugly muddled orange colour. I learned all this the hard way.
Hope this helps! :D and good luck.

Meowchi
August 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Ah! Thank you! what type of toner did you end up using?

I buy all my hair coloring product at sally's beauty supply, thanks so much for the tip, so i didnt get a crash and burn hair color and run around carrot top style with friend orange hair! haha :3

Dizzy_zzz
August 28th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I actually have no idea what toner it was: my dad was fed up with my hair colour, so he shipped me of to the hairstylist (who sucked so bad that I got a full refund). I don't even think she used a toner, come to think of it, because my hair was orange afterwards, too, and I only remember her using dye and stripper. Before the hairstylist, though, I had done a LOT of research on how to fix my hair. I know for a fact that Sally's has toners, and good ones at that, and I'm planning on going there this week for my orange-d hair, too. I'm going to use manic panic for mine. :D
Ugh, orange is not fun. I've been running around with it for 3 months now...bleh. Don't make the same mistake! :shake:

Meowchi
August 28th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Awwwwhhh, oh nooo!!!!!!!

Yeah, people have told me to go to hair salons and get it done before, but they ALWAYS ruined my hair, the last one turned my hair to mush!!!!! was like mashed potatos on my head and i had to cut my hair all around to about 3 inchs long and dye it dark brown.

I am to scared to go to salons, and i have color stripped my hair at home and had no mashed potato hair!

but i wasn't to sure on the hair color being so light so thank you so much for answering, ill definitally grab some toner for sure, iv heard of people putting a couple drops of blue food coloring or purple into their conditioner for toning to and mixing it very well.

Wonder if that works?

Dizzy_zzz
August 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Ooh, O.O I'm sorry about your mashed potato hair! I don't know how some hairstylist even manage to get hired when they do awful things like that.
Food colour in conditioner, huh? That actually sounds fun! except you'd have to do a lot of strand tests to get the right amount, and make sure that the food colouring doesn't somehow react with the dye you're going to use. I think I'll try that too, hehe...

julierockhead
August 28th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Google or YouTube "colour B4"...have read about it as a damage free stripper, but haven't used it myself.

KeriLynne223
August 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I used 'color oops' on my hair (bought USA rite aid). Was around 13 dollars. No damage to my hair... Went from dark dark brown (yes two darks) to medium brown. Pretty sweet for no damage. Though I was removing indigo (natural plant based dye I used to get black). Color oops is meant fir chemicals though. If you look in the henna and herbal haircare section of the forum you can find the thread "successfully removed indigo" and I have some pictures there too. I had to bleach after though too for mine to get a lightish brown like I had wanted.

Also, wait to dye after you remove hair color. Stripping, color removing, bleaching hair WILL cause porosity changes no matter what. Even if it isn't looking or feeling damaged. I would suggest not coloring it at all. Even medium blonde box dye will go dark brown or back close to black. Speaking from experience, and i am also a licensed cosmetologist. if you (IF) can get it past the orange stage to a yellow, use a purple based toner ( sallys sells wella with purple based toners, the hair swatches look gray. Ones named princess something I had used before). That will get you to a beige blonde. If your hair is yellow ( not orange, not gold, not bright yellow, just yellow... Not pale yellow though or that's too blonde and you'd need to cut substantial amounts of hair off at that point). To get those shades of 'blonde' (beige blond) bleaching will be required since you are going from black, and you will need to probably cut off at LEAST a few inches in the end. It depends on the current health of your hair and previous chemical treatments, and how many layers of black dye you have. Always listen to your hair, if it looks / feels damaged, stop. Unless you're willing to part with a good few inches to continue. Even if you get it up to orange and your hair can't take abuse anymore, dye it a manic panic red ( it's still a change). I had cut my APL brown hair to a pixie to get platinum blonde before, buy I was ok with that trade off. It depends how comfortable you are with change :)

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
It will probably just tone down the brassiness, if it's orangey/strong yellow. If it's pale yellow it might turn green or too grey.

Meowchi
August 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Thank you!!! yeah i have some Manic Panic "Cup Cake Pink" Hair color, i was planning on using that on my color stripped hair, because as i saw on youtube hair stripping reviews, i see that they tried using box hair dye right afterwards and ended up with almost black hair!!!!!! @_@

So if its that nasty orange color, here i come pink hair! haha :3

my hair is passed the middle of my back, but after i strip my hair, i was going to cut it to my shoulders to cut off all the awkward layers of my hair.

I was looking up on google that food coloring in conditioner is okay but if you get to much apparentally it will look bad! lol

Might as well just grab a bottle of tint at sallys! :3 thank youuu

I hope i can get light ash blonde soon! :p

KeriLynne223
August 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Also to anyone with blonde hair that has a little bit of brass I would recommend clairol 'shimmer lights' shampoo. Purple shampoo that tones left over brassiness. Better than ANY toning shampoo I've ever found at a professional salon distributor. You can buy shimmerlights in sallys beauty store. If you use it too often and it tinged your hair gray, you can wash your hair with a different shampoo and it'll remove the gray cast. None of it is permanent or damaging, but with continual use will mask brassiness. I'll have to find a pic from when I used it.... Back in my blonde days :)

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 08:43 PM
But if you have "orangey" type of brass, you gotta use blue shampoo. Purple won't be enough.

KeriLynne223
August 28th, 2011, 08:43 PM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn54/lovers_with_fats/blonde.jpg

That was when I had bleached it to a pale yellow mixed with yellow and used NO TONER, just the clairol shimmerlights I had mentioned. So OP, if you do go for the gusto (like I always do... do or die!) I would completely suggest buying that shampoo from sallys if you have the cash, and or sallys in your area. Best investment of my temporary blonde life.

KeriLynne223
August 28th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Very right lianna. If she can't go past the orange shade she will need a toner, a blue one! Color wheel Purple is complimentary of yellow, and blue complimentary of orange. or just throw red on top of it and screw the color wheel! :)

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 08:45 PM
KeriLynne223, pale yellow works with purple but darker than that like a level 7 ashy blonde needs blue. I speak from experience and a full unused purple shampoo in my bathroom.

ETA: LOL, we are talking at the same time. XD

I've dyed mine a lot (and bleached) but never to very pale yellow, just yellow, if that makes sense...to have a medium golden tone. :)

KeriLynne223
August 28th, 2011, 08:47 PM
LOL, i know, I can't shut my trap! I apologize for out talking you Lianna :)

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 08:49 PM
You clearly know what you're talking about so let's just wait the OP for pictures now!! :D

Meowchi
August 28th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Wow im so gladddd i found this site, everyone on here is so nice and informative.

hehe hope my hair goes okay! and doesn't get to fried! haha

Ill look at the shimmer lights, and get blue, my hair is a very very dark brown so, i assume orange will be my future hair color lol

jojo
August 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Colour oops if your in USA or colour B4 contain no bleach or peroxide and are great for getting dye out of hair. I recently managed to get hendigo from my hair with colour B4 and get my hair back to its natural colour (see siggi). I certainly would not advise hair dressers for stripping, did that years back and it totally trashed my hair.

Lianna
August 29th, 2011, 12:55 PM
jojo, I thought she was stripping with a product like that, instead of "bleaching".

jojo
August 30th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I must have read wrong thought she was going down the bleach route :D

julierockhead
September 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
I want to take the box color out of my hair with color oops before I do henna. My dyed color is a medium brown, my natural color is a lighter brown with lots of grey. Any comments or advice?

Lianna
September 2nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
I want to take the box color out of my hair with color oops before I do henna. My dyed color is a medium brown, my natural color is a lighter brown with lots of grey. Any comments or advice?

Will probably work out fine. But the color will be a wee bit lighter than your natural because box dyes lighten your natural pigment (if they have peroxide). It might be a bit brassy too, not a problem since you want to henna.

cmg
September 2nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Some time ago I stripped dark chocolate brown dye out of my hair and the light orangey tone dissapeared perfectly after a pearl blonde dye. The hair became medium blonde, just perfectly naturally looking.

cmg
September 2nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Couldn't edit my post: I meant something between pale yellow/pale beige/ pale orangey. Can't really describe the resulting color. Not a problem though, I was preapared for it.

Artsy
September 3rd, 2011, 05:56 AM
color oops contains peroxide, please do a strand test

Lianna
September 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
color oops contains peroxide, please do a strand test

I don't know about brands, since I'm foreign (and don't really look into color stripping brands). I thought all these color stripping things didn't have peroxide. :/ Wow, thanks for the research you made me do. :p (really, I always like to know more about hair)

I recommend this article (http://haircrazy.info/misc-articles/color-oops-effasol-and-loreal-color-removers-guide/) for people who are thinking about that.