PDA

View Full Version : Uneven growth rate??

danikabananika
August 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hi everyone, I am growing out my hair after a horrible mishap (long story, but I'm well on my way! BSL from armpit, which was my last time I did a big chop). Behind my ears there are 2 little spots where it seems like my hair is growing at different times. No matter how many times I've cut my length to the spot where my hair starts to "taper" (that's the only way I can describe it), it always ends up looking someone took a razor to my length. The thing is though- I am 99.99999% sure that this isn't breakage. The hair looks like new growth (tapered ends), and while it is most noticeable behind my ears, it is ALL over my head except for the very middle of the nape of my neck. I treat my hair like silk- no elastics, no heat styling, very gentle combing with a wide tooth comb made of resin, no sulfates, no silicones or protein (my hair is very dry), SMT, oiling, you name it.

So- is this just my hair growing at an uneven growth rate? I know hair does not grow evenly, but this is excessive- it varies by about 6 inches. Is there anyway I can help it along? I already take biotin and silica, I was taking MSM but I stopped just because I haven't had the money to buy more.

Please help :( it's make my length look very thin!

DoubleCrowned
August 30th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I have a friend whose hair grows much faster behind his ears than anywhere else. If the hair at his nape grows an inch, the hair behind his ears will have grown at least 1.75 inches.

McFearless
August 30th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Monistat on the scalp under the short bits? Castor oil maybe? An EO blend to slow down shedding and keep the hairs hanging around for longer?

Does the hair just grow slower or does it stop growing completely at a certain length?

fairytalehair
August 30th, 2011, 10:32 PM
the nails and hair on the right side of my body grow faster than the left. i remember when i was a little girl i hadnt had a haircut in ages and i had a small section of hair (maybe 1/2 inch wide) that was a good 2 inches longer than the rest. i'd say its normal!

cheshire90
August 30th, 2011, 11:29 PM
My hair always grows way to long at the back and short from the sides

luvlaughlin
August 31st, 2011, 02:26 AM
I think it's completely normal. I know hair on the sides of my head grows slower than the back.

Rosetta
August 31st, 2011, 02:46 AM
^ Mine too, and on top of that my hair is finer/thinner there (at the sides) as well, and that's one thing that's always stopped me from growing very long, as I don't like uneven ends... :(