PDA

View Full Version : frizz - help me!

archel
August 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Ok, speak to me of frizz remedies! Today I used some argan oil and let my hair air dry. I'm a frizz bomb! I then used a little aloe gel - no help. I finally just oiled the heck out of it and put it up in a tucked french braid. I'm thinking an SMT might help, but what else can I do? I'd like to wear it down every now and again...

newbeginning
August 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I have problems with frizz too. If I use a deep treatment (to help with the frizz/dryness) it just goes too flat. I do find oil helps a bit. Have you tried oil on dry hair? I find it helps me to gauge the amount I need better. Also I just use enough to smooth my hair down. Sometimes I just give up and let it be poufy and frizzy.

manderly
August 28th, 2011, 04:13 PM
A 2 with frizz? My guess is you're really a curly (like me!) who needs lots of extra moisture (leave in) and a decent hold (gel) to make the frizz be curls.

When I don't "do" things to my hair after washing, I'm just a brillo pad of frizz. When I "do" things to my hair, you get curls like my signature :)

I think a lot of 2s are actually 3s in hiding/denial/misunderstanding. Try some of the curly girl method and see what your hair does :)

x0h_bother
August 28th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I second the moisture. GL!

spidermom
August 28th, 2011, 04:19 PM
When I've got a bad case of the frizzies, nothing works like a dab of pomade, styling wax, or styling putty. A little goes a long-long way.

Things like aloe vera gel help, too. Finger-combed through can help define the waves and/or curls - whatever ya got!

BeckyAH
August 28th, 2011, 05:08 PM
For me frizz control means drying with a t-shirt, combing/detangling upside down, working gel in (UPSIDE DOWN, again - if I TOUCH my canopy, it's over) and on a bad day? Sticking it in REALLY BIG pin curls for the last bit of drying because that forces the fly-aways into the waves/curls.

Mostly? Hands off the canopy for me. Everything gets done upside down. Otherwise?Fizz.

Mesmerise
August 28th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Well cones may not be all that popular here on LHC, but I think they're just about the ONLY thing that helps with my frizz!

Honestly, I had no idea why my hair was so frizzy. I attributed it to chemical and heat damage, and while this may be true in part, the individual hairs don't look THAT damaged. The truth, however, is that I just stopped using cones and my hair apparently really likes them!!

I know I'm not a true "curly" because while my hair does curl a bit, it's never going to be 3 hair. It's just frizzy.

I have tried oiling and stuff too, but it made my hair look a little limp/greasy without really solving the frizz issue. I've actually tried a few things without success to remove the frizz (including AVG) and nope...it'd still frizz. But using a nice coney condish made a big difference (oh and not all cones are equal...but I haven't quite figured out which ones work best yet).

Sunshineliz
August 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Oh believe me, 2s can frizz! I tend to frizz alot too and actually asked this same question a few months back. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69757&highlight=frizz+control

The first few pages are suggestions for frizz and the rest is people trying to get me to go CG and my odd results. (Believe me you don't have to look at that, I just wanted to show a thread that had several suggestions.:o)

I tried CG for a while but it is so hard to not touch my hair!!! It gets rid of the frizz, but only if I plop, use a gel and absolutely do not touch it or have air blow on it for a few hours. Not fun.

I'm still working through some of the other ideas (I'm slow that way) but I have noticed some trends. Shampoo= frizz. Even with conditioner after. So I'm CO washing--works only if I use very light conditioner otherwise I'm a grease-ball. (A non-frizzy grease-ball but I'd still rather not be greasy.:p) I still get some frizz but it isn't as bad as it used to be. If I manage to air-dry without touching, it's ok, but if not, a wide-tooth comb helps a lot. Brushing, even with a BBB creates a big poof on the first day. It's often okay and only a little fluffy 2nd or 3rd day. I haven't actually tried oil yet, but I'm a little wary and still not clear on how to oil hair.:confused:

So far, moisture is good--but not overdone or it is lank and greasy. I think in general 2s have this problem. ETA: I tried an SMT and it seemed good, but it is hard for me to sit around with a goopy head with four kids to run after.:)

And I tried to go back to cones, but the day I did I still had plenty of frizz. Of course I also shampooed that day, so I'll have to try a coney CO wash to see if the frizz is still showing up with cones. If cones work for you, make sure you watch out for buildup of course.

ETA: Oh and a damp bun when I went over the top of it with a fine-tooth comb and let it dry that way (the top, not the bun--that took too long) also eliminated frizz.:joy: However, I was flat and had no volume either.:sad

archel
August 28th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I did try going CO and it was not good for me at all. I am using a low-poo and it's pretty awesome. I think the main problem is that I'm just so dry. I did an SMT today with Giovanni Smooth As Silk conditioner after I made this post and it helped a lot, but after it dried I still needed oil, so I used some Ojon. It's still frizzy but not NUTSO frizzy like it was earlier today. I'm starting to think I need a leave-in conditioner along with oiling!

Do anyone have a link to the frizz spray I see mentioned sometimes?

YesitsReal
August 28th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Squeezing it out with a t-shirt a few times and then and trying not to touch it much until it's totally dry really helped cut my frizzies. If terrycloth touches my hair, you can pretty much forget it.

mallorykay13
August 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I use my BBB to get the frizzies to lay down.

MyKing'sQueen
August 28th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I did try going CO and it was not good for me at all. I am using a low-poo and it's pretty awesome. I think the main problem is that I'm just so dry. I did an SMT today with Giovanni Smooth As Silk conditioner after I made this post and it helped a lot, but after it dried I still needed oil, so I used some Ojon. It's still frizzy but not NUTSO frizzy like it was earlier today. I'm starting to think I need a leave-in conditioner along with oiling!

Do anyone have a link to the frizz spray I see mentioned sometimes?
Did you mean this one http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277?

YepLilly
August 29th, 2011, 07:54 AM
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but how about acidic rinses (ACV, lemon, etc)? They are supposed to make the cuticle lay flat so it makes sense they help with frizz too.

archel
August 29th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Yes that's the stuff - I need a mister bottle but I have the other ingredients!

I need a microfiber towel or cut up t-shirts or something, I bet the terrycloth towels are not helping me any.

Today is my 2nd day hair and it is WAY better after sleeping with Ojon in a french braid.

archel
August 29th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Oh and I will try the ACV rinse again, though it seems like it made my hair feel dry and course before - but I will give it another go.

Sunshineliz
August 29th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Yes that's the stuff - I need a mister bottle but I have the other ingredients!

I need a microfiber towel or cut up t-shirts or something, I bet the terrycloth towels are not helping me any.

Today is my 2nd day hair and it is WAY better after sleeping with Ojon in a french braid.

Oh yes--T-shirts for hair is working MUCH better than terrycloth.

BeckyAH
August 29th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I did the pin-curl thing last night and - no frizz at *ALL*. Yes, it forced my hair into another curl pattern rather than it's own, but for a lack of fuzz? I'll take it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Greylin/002-84.jpg

Even breaking the curl up didn't make it frizzy.

Rhea
August 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Here we go! :cheese: Anti-Frizz-Spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277)