PDA

View Full Version : how to make smooth braids?

laurarvt
August 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hi all!
I love braids, but mine always have little pieces sticking out......I think its a combo of leftover layers and breakage/new growth. Any tips? Thanks!

bunzfan
August 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I found out recently a little oil coconut is my favourite stops that happening.

BlazingHeart
August 28th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I smooth my hands several times over each section before I start braiding - helps pull everything together. If I notice that I'm getting strands poking out later on, I stop and hold the braid together with one hand while I smooth over each section one at a time several times with the other hand.

~Blaze

LornaDoone
August 28th, 2011, 11:41 AM
A little oil will help keep layers from sticking out. If you tend to get 'bumps' in your braids it is most likely because your hair is not completely smooth when you go to braid it. Sometimes I like this look and other times I want the super smooth perfect braids. I hold the braid in one hand after every couple of turns and use a comb on the remaining length.

2peasinapod
August 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Another vote for oiling over here. I also have to comb the sections smooth just before braiding them and also after a few "bumps". It also helps to pull the braid a bit tighter when I stop.

Melisande
August 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I oil lightly first, then braid with damp hands.

annieangel149
August 28th, 2011, 12:07 PM
why did i never think of applying a little oil before braiding?? good tip!! :)

ddiana1979
August 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I use oil in the length, or a 1:1 solution of aloe and water. Both work well. You can also try to twist the strands a little before you braid them, but as I don't have three hands, I'm not very good at that. ;)

Dragonsbane
August 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
why did i never think of applying a little oil before braiding?? good tip!! :)Same here! I might try it!