PDA

View Full Version : So I'm stewing in my first SMT...

hototogisu
August 28th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I just did my semi colour* and mixed up 80ml conditioner (2x box dye condishes), 20ml Fruit of the Earth aloe and 20ml of honey. I'm now mooching around the house in a towel and shower cap for 30 minutes or so doing laundry and the dishes and so on. My SO is completely confused, a usual state for partners of LHCers, I imagine!

I can't comment on the SMT yet, though I have high hopes, but I did change my colouring routine a little, in line with my new commitment to my hair**. First, I deep oiled my lengths overnight with coconut oil. I think this prevented a lot of catching and tangling when I, first, sectioned off my hair to colour and, second, parted off sections using a tint brush to do the roots.

Second, when I do a semi I normally section my hair in four parts, tint the roots using a tint brush, let them cook, then squirt on remaining colour using an applicator bottle and kind of mash all four sections into one big section. Detangling in the shower afterwards is just a nightmare, with tons of shedding.

This time I applied the remaining colour, parting by parting (kind of like doing my regrowth again), using a tint brush, and left my hair sectioned in the four sections. I could actually finger detangle in the shower, a combination of making an effort to manipulate my hair a little less and the coconut oil I suspect.

I'll check back in after I rinse it all out! Exciting! :cheese:

* chemical dye - I know! We all have our vices
** and if you're thinking 'if she's really committed then she wouldn't colour her hair' - I know! I know!

khan
August 28th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Good luck; I loooove SMT treatments.

hototogisu
August 28th, 2011, 04:48 AM
So my hair is drying and it feels... softer? My hair is pretty porous and dry, I think I'm going to need more SMTs to treat it. But it DEFINITELY feels better than it would otherwise after a colour, much less crunchy and strawlike.

Chetanlaiho
August 29th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Combining semi colour with SMT sounds like a really good idea. I was already planning to do it over coconut oil but this sounds even better! xD

hototogisu
August 29th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I totally recommend it! My hair feels fantastic today, much softer and less crisp than usual. I already heavy oil on Sundays, but I think I'm going to follow it up with an SMT. I'm also going to try adding that new Garnier chelating shampoo to my Sunday hair fix.

archel
August 29th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I did an SMT yesterday and it's amazing how my hair sucked up most of it. It literally felt like most of it was GONE when I rinsed. My hair LOVES these things.