PDA

View Full Version : A one year update on my abused hair....

Dyefree
August 28th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I joined almost one year ago, and some of you may remember my first ever post......

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58744

My hair was fried. And I mean fried, triple bleached, box dyed, flat ironed to within an inch of it's life and I had been wearing extensions continuously for 5 years. It was so so damaged, when I went to the hairdressers in oct '10 thet gasped at how bad my hair was.... They'd never seen anything like it. :(

It was orange, frizzy, breaking off at different lengths. I hadn't seen my natural hair colour or texture for over 15 years. The cut in oct '10 put me at chin length.... But my hair was still thin and breaking. I tried deep treatments, oiling, I stopped all dying and no heat styling.

Fast forward to august '11; I have around 5 inches of natural, untreated, undyed virgin hair. It's a soft black, fine-medium texture, shiny, healthy and lots of it! :D

But it made my frizzy, broken, orange, thin ends look terrible.... Forget split ends and White dots.... This is seriously damaged gummy hair that would break off if you looked at it funny. :o

So back to the salon I went.

The new hairstylist again gasped in horror :o she'd never seen two different types of hair on one head... The roots a healthy shiny shock of black hair, and the ends so fried and damaged.

So out came the scissors and another 6-7 inches chopped off.

I now have chin length mostly virgin hair (I still have some orange colour at the front on the longer pieces, around 1-2 inches). Yes it's thick and soft and the texture gorgeous.... It falls into waves with no frizz.

But damn I feel so ugly. I'm also 6.5 month pregnant and have put on a lot of weight, so my face is far rounder than usual.... The chin length thick halo of hair does nothing to flatter my face....additionally it is too short to put in a ponytail so I struggle to find updos that work. :( sigh.... I know it's worth it in the long run, as I'm now in a position to grow and grow.... But it's still difficult. Vanity eh? :rolleyes:

I've been too embarrassed to put pictures on here till now, so I'll be updating this post with pics soon.

Thanks for reading.

Charybdis
August 28th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I bet you look lots better than you think you do. Have you tried using small claw clips to pull back the front of your hair? They're gentle on your hair, and I find them really useful for keeping hair out of my face and creating an appearance of volume at the crown if my hair looks flat.

Your natural hair sounds lovely. :-)

Anya21
August 28th, 2011, 03:03 AM
i understand how you feel, i have done terrible things to my hair too. Pretty much for as long and as extreme as you did and cutting of what i have caused hurts but it sounds like your natural hair is amazing and it wll only get better and better from here on :)

Audhumla
August 28th, 2011, 03:45 AM
It sounds like you're doing great ! I never really badly abused my hair but I did blow dry it regularly and for me even having the patience to let it air dry or not run off and get it cut just so I don't have to wait through the awkward length stage is a struggle. Reading your two posts a year a part it's great hearing someone facing such a big challenge with such a consistent and strong resolve. You're a great inspiration for me to stick with it even though my problems are relatively minor. I hope your pregnancy progresses well too :)

Mesmerise
August 28th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Congrats on making such huge improvements! Those growing out stages are really, really hard, and it must be tough to be still stuck with short hair BUT you are well on your way to long, healthy hair!! Can't wait to see pictures!

DuckyDot
August 28th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Well at least you can grow now. It's definitely worth it in the long run! One day, you'll have that perfect hair that you've always wanted, and it'll be worth it! ;) Happy growing!

pepperminttea
August 28th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Keep going; with a bit of luck, it'll be ponytail-able just in time for the baby-hair-grabbing phase. :D

lacefrost
August 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Aw congrats! I know you feel ugly but after reading your description of your hair before, I know that now, it must be beautiful. Your hair will grow, especially since you have those pregnancy growth spurts.

You should check out the Super Shorties thread on here. Also, hair accessories make everything better. Headbands, clips, scarves. I personally love WhichGoose (http://www.etsy.com/shop/whichgoose) on etsy. She makes lovely things. Any hair accessories will make you feel prettier.

Theobroma
August 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Well done for persevering and growing out healthy hair with no more chemical interference!

I second the suggestion of small claw clips to pull back the front sections. You could also use a couple of small or extra small Flexi-8 clips for the same purpose. Or perhaps your hair is already long enough to put in a half-up with a single Flexi? Either way, you have a lot of options for getting it out of your face and minimising the halo look. And as someone said, it'll be long enough to ponytail in no time at all now.

Happy growing, and good luck!

pink.sara
August 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Aww, I know how that feels! I had also bleached the beejeezus out of my hair and cut to chin twice in 2 years to rid me of damage. Sadly I am far too fat for a chin length POB and looked like a bobble head for the growing stages!
The good news is you did it! The horrible damaged frizzy stuff is off and from here on it's all shiny, healthy, easy to manage hair. Also my hair grows Sooo slowly it's untrue, but I still managed to make it from chin to shoulder in 6 months so ponytails are just around the corner for you :)

Keep growing!!! :)

DonyaleM
August 28th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Awesome! It seems like you are right on track! Keep up the good work.

shawty
August 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Congrats on your virgin hair! I love success stories like this one!
The best way I've found to wear my hair while it's too short to do anything else is two French half-braids. I can't do two whole French braids since the hair at the back of my head isn't long enough to join into the same braid with the front, and I can't do a single French half-braid, but 2 works really well. =) try it out, it might be lovely.
Good luck!

jojo
August 28th, 2011, 12:16 PM
aww it sounds lovely and with those pregnancy hormones raging around, your hair will be long in no time!

annieangel149
August 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM
oh yes! my hair grew really quickly in my pregnancies :)

CrystalStar
August 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Never feel ugly. :) That thick hair will grow out into a style you will love, and as many other have said hair has a tendency to grow faster during pregnancy!

By the time you're on your second year update your hair will be so much longer!

wooliswonderful
August 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I gained a lot with my last baby (I'm normally 120 ish and went up to 195) and even though my hair was BSL+ I never felt like anything I did with it made up for my puffier face!
I'm sure you look far prettier than you think though, and you have beautiful long hair to look forward to! Maybe you could treat yourself to some pretty hair toys. You might not need hair sticks for a bit but there are lots of cute things for shorter hair too. :)

IcarusBride
August 28th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I want to tell you how proud I am of you (even though we've never met and I don't think we've even talked) for sticking your guns and keeping your new growth virgin for an entire year. By your description you were deeply entrenched in hair-unhealthy habits before and it's really incredible to learn how you turned everything around.
I think if you keep it up for another year you will have APL approaching BSL healthy shinny virgin hair at the end of that time.

Brenda714
August 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hi DyeFree, I have had the same problem but with perming and unperming within a period of two years. My fried, orange hair that was once thick became thin and horrible looking. I don't know why I did this other than I must have been OCD! I too stopped doing this in OCT 10, now in almost Sept 11, all the damage has grown out, but its only a little past shoulder. I had massive breakage. Now it appears the breaking has stopped. But I can so relate to the feeling ugly part and I only wear it in an updo, I can't stand to see myself with my hair all cut up like this, but like you we have nice healthy hair growing in. It's a miracle that it does grow back! Just know, that like I'm telling myself, that it WILL grow. Try to put it back the best you can and know you will feel pretty again, and also that you are much more than your hair and you are beautiful the way you are.

Brenda714
August 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I also wanted to tell you I wore clip in extensions for a year. Pictures are on my page.

KeriLynne223
August 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Op- I am sure you're just beautiful! I was pregnant with twins and had them in august 2008. All the pregnant women I saw looked like glowing angels walking around with a cute baby belly... Me? I looked like a sealion going to dinner buffets. I had damaged black hair (natural medium brown hair) and it was fried from steroids I had to take. I felt awful, and felt completely unattractive. When I look back on my pregnancy pictures ( ok, the for pictures of when I wore makeup or bothered putting my hair in a ponytail), I realized I looked kinda cute enormous. I'm sure after all of this you'll look back on your pictures of pregnancy and say 'hey, I didn't look as bad as I felt!'. Just some words if encouragement. All mommas are beautiful! Besides, the belly gets all the attention anyways :)