PDA

View Full Version : A Little Discouraged

Henna_Goddess
August 27th, 2011, 09:52 PM
My hair is at APL. I haven't been securing it in a braid or anything and wake up with a knotted mess in the morning. During the night the dog or my husband rolls over on it and I'm pinned to the bed. (lol) I didn't raise any girls so I have NO CLUE as to how to do a good french braid or even if my fine hair will hold one over night. My hair has layers in it with the shortest layer being around shoulder length.

Do you have any suggestions for keeping my hair protected at night!?!

Kristin
August 27th, 2011, 09:55 PM
You could do one of those ponytails with multiple elastics (like you do a half-up, add hair and band, make a pony with all of it, and wrap a band around the length). I used to do that with scrunchies. You could also wear a sleep cap.

AnnaJamila
August 27th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Go to the ethnic center of wal-mart and get a night cap! I'm rocking one right now, as a matter of fact! ;)

Teresa9000
August 27th, 2011, 10:47 PM
When my hair was APL with layers I slept with it in pigtails (either English braid-style or rope braid-style) when I wanted to protect it at night. If you sleep on your sides like I do, you can position the braids more toward the back of your head while you're making them. I don't worry with French braiding my hair for sleeping styles. I'm not proficient enough, so it takes forever. Rope braids are my favorite now, because I can make one so fast, and even though a lot of my hair gets loose or messy during the night it still stays less tangled over all than if I had it down.

I just re-read your post and saw that your shortest layer is around your shoulders. If you try the pigtails and still have layers falling out, it might help to put a soft scrunchy (I don't like elastics for sleeping) around the base of each pigtail, then start braiding.

Yozhik
August 27th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I second pigtails, or you could do what I have in right now -- a bun right at the top of your head! :)

monsterna
August 27th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I read from someone on here that she puts scrunchies down the length of her hair. Could try that? Also, if you don't already have one, a silk pillowcase drastically reduced my tangles.

Kathie
August 27th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I'm at APL and I put my hair into two braided pigtails for bed. Sometimes one will come lose with all the tossing and turning I do- but mostly its good.

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I just make a ponytail loop with a soft scrunchie (braids make my hair dry).

newbeginning
August 28th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I find that a satin pillowcase helps a lot in preventing tangles even if I'm too lazy to braid/bun my hair at night.

dulce
August 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
A satin sleeping cap with elastic flouncing ruffles all round,it holds well and you can find some on ebay.

pink.sara
August 28th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I sleep in a high pony with a sleeve cut off my SO's t shirt as a sleep cap! It means my APL hair doesn't get all knotted at the nape because I'm a squirmy so and so.
Works well for coconut oil overnight treatments too. And I also use a satin pillow (mainly to prevent wrinkles though.)