PDA

View Full Version : Growing hair back in a child's bald spot

AlabasterAlice
August 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM
My youngest brother (8 years old) had a tough spot in the hospital years ago, and long story short, because of surgery on his head to get an infection out, he now has a bald spot. It's been there for a while now, and he feels self conscious about it. I was hoping someone on here may have some advice to help him grow his hair back there.

He has fine hair, but it curls about the same as mine does. The bald spot is maybe three inches or so in diameter, and while the surgery was years ago, the area still is not growing much hair at all and unless he styles his hair just right, it is noticeable.

I've done what I can to reassure him it doesn't look bad, and doesn't mean anything bad about him, but I know he'd still like it if it would go away.

headtrip_honey
August 27th, 2011, 04:50 PM
My youngest brother (8 years old) had a tough spot in the hospital years ago, and long story short, because of surgery on his head to get an infection out, he now has a bald spot. It's been there for a while now, and he feels self conscious about it. I was hoping someone on here may have some advice to help him grow his hair back there.

He has fine hair, but it curls about the same as mine does. The bald spot is maybe three inches or so in diameter, and while the surgery was years ago, the area still is not growing much hair at all and unless he styles his hair just right, it is noticeable.

I've done what I can to reassure him it doesn't look bad, and doesn't mean anything bad about him, but I know he'd still like it if it would go away.

If it's scar tissue, I'm not sure that much can be done. From my understanding, scar tissue doesn't have hair follicles to grow. Hopefully others can chime in with thoughts.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 27th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm going to suggest a consult with a dermatologist.. I had a bout with alopecia areata which left huge bald patches all along my hair line.. nothing grew back until I went to visit one, he gave me a cream and within a few weeks I had some hair growth.. while my situation is a bit different, he still may benefit from some expert advise.

however, if it truly is scar tissue, I am not sure there is anything that can be done :( but a consult would be your best bet to get some professional advise.

UltraBella
August 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
If it is scar tissue, his follicles are most likely destroyed. What color is his hair ? Can you find a matte eye shadow to dab on the area that matches his hair ? If it makes it much less noticeable then he may be a candidate for camouflage micro-pigmentation. It's a very specialized form of tattooing that colors the skin where the hair is missing to match the surrounding hair and essentially camouflage the scar. It can work wonders !

CherrySilver
August 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM
however, if it truly is scar tissue, I am not sure there is anything that can be done :( but a consult would be your best bet to get some professional advise.

In the hands of a very skilled hair transplant surgeon with specific experience in dealing with scar issues, your little brother should be okay. I'd only go this route if all else failed, however, it's already been three years. This is not the kind of thing that will go away by itself.

Your brother probably feels very self-conscious about this, the sooner it's addressed, the better. He shouldn't have to deal with this till he's an adult and able to take care of it by himself IMHO.