PDA

View Full Version : How to know if you are over moisturizing

stacyyyy1972
August 27th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Hi all, im fairly new to LHC and I seen somewhere that you can over moisturize your hair. I Did not know this and seeing as I have started smt and oiling I was wondering if any one can tell me how I will know this. Any feed back would be appreciated :)

RainbowHawk
August 27th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I just learned about this too, and immediately recognized my hair as being perpetually over moisturized. Who knew? :o

Here's an article describing how you can tell whether your hair needs moisture or protein: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69

And here's another about maintaining the balance: http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/

gthlvrmx
August 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Your hair will be too stretchy, maybe "too soft", unmanageable,maybe mushy, limp, and the ends will lose that structure it needs to stay together. Instead, it will bend (especially at the ends) like hooks in updo's and then cause tangles and more breakage. I just had this overmoisturized problem last week and it was awful, it felt "limp". Clarifying and getting just protein back into your hair helps. Personally i just dunk in with a protein treatment from Sally's that has no cones at all(my hair doesn't like them) or use Mane n Tail originial conditioner as a protein treatment.

http://www.sistersofthefaith.com/beauty/the-fine-art-of-protein-and-moisture-balancing-for-black-hair-care-pt-2/

excentricat
August 27th, 2011, 02:41 PM
The most obvious sign is going to be stretchy or gummy hair. My understanding is that over-moisturizing usually goes with under proteining so the balance of the two that your hair likes will keep it happiest.

stacyyyy1972
August 28th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back. Thank you so much for the articles and info, I just love learning all this new information. I have always been conscious of my hair but being detail oriented is very new to me. I never gave much thought to the differences between the protien treatments and the moisturizing treatments. I always just grabbed something while at the local beauty supply. Since LHC I am realizing how lucky I am that my hair is in the condition it is in after so much neglect. I can imagine how it will be when I actually learn what it needs :) thanks again for the responses!

pelicano
August 28th, 2011, 02:59 AM
When my hair is over moisturized, it feels silky soft and lovely (not greasy or gummy) when wet. When it dries it still feels soft but is flyaway and looks like straw!

I get the same effect from protein too, so I don't agree about over moisturized hair always needing protein. The way to solve my over moisturized hair is just to wash it with no conditioner - sorts it right out.

Nymph
August 28th, 2011, 05:12 AM
When my hair is over moisturized, it feels silky soft and lovely (not greasy or gummy) when wet. When it dries it still feels soft but is flyaway and looks like straw!

I get the same effect from protein too, so I don't agree about over moisturized hair always needing protein. The way to solve my over moisturized hair is just to wash it with no conditioner - sorts it right out.

Yes! I recently had this too and kept moisturising and putting more things on my head until I realised it was probably over moistured. Just shampooing without any post-shampoo treatment took care of it.

DuckyDot
August 28th, 2011, 05:44 AM
My over-conditioned hair is Fluffy. Just pure fluff.

I solve it by putting yoghurt on my hair for 10 mins.

snowfaery
January 23rd, 2012, 05:32 PM

I know this is old and I'm bumping it but this is exactly what I experienced today. I'm going to take a week off from doing 3 to 6 hour SMT 4 days a week and just do 1 or 2 treatments a week 3-4 days apart. I'm getting ready to henna so I will likely do a protein treatment the day before or with the henna treatment, not 100% sure yet.

ladyshep
January 23rd, 2012, 05:44 PM
My hair has gotten too poofy in years past when over moisturized. :afro:

einna
January 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
I know this is old and I'm bumping it but this is exactly what I experienced today. I'm going to take a week off from doing 3 to 6 hour SMT 4 days a week and just do 1 or 2 treatments a week 3-4 days apart. I'm getting ready to henna so I will likely do a protein treatment the day before or with the henna treatment, not 100% sure yet.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of moisturizing, it might be a good idea to balance it out with protein treatments, and also cut back a little, like you are planning. :)

My hair loves SMTs, but I have to take some precautions. I often do a protein treatment before the SMT, if not I rarely leave it on for more than one hour, or my hair gets over moisturized.

snowfaery
January 23rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
I did a protein treatment just over a week ago so I knew it was time to do moisture especially as it finished making the hair that looked super dry dead and split disappear. There's still a few sections that have some issues but over the last 2 months my hair has gone from super bad shape overall to amazingly healthy mostly and will actually be able to look healthy post color (henna). Most of my SMT treatments I put on while tired so I normally fall asleep while it's on. I think I need to set a timer for them so that I wake up and rinse out.

XcaliburGirl
January 24th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Both times I tried an SMT, I got over-moisturized fluffy-fuzzy hair. Also, when I tried an olive oil and honey treatment. I'm considering the possibility that it might just be that my hair doesn't like honey.

Long_hair_bear
January 24th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I'm beginning to think I over condition and am thinking of cutting my conditionings to twice a week instead of 3 times. My hair is starting to feel abit waxy, and as I recently clarified and don't use cones, I know that's not it. I might cut one conditioning and see if that helps.

Of the Fae
January 24th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I just learned about this too, and immediately recognized my hair as being perpetually over moisturized. Who knew? :o

Here's an article describing how you can tell whether your hair needs moisture or protein: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69

And here's another about maintaining the balance: http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/

I don't know if this has been said, but the author of that page says mineral oil is a cheap filler ingredient. This, as I have personally experienced , it not true. It is a proper way of keeping the hair moisturized!

Celebrian
January 24th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I've been wondering what was going on with my hair for weeks. I think I diagnose my hair as over moisturised now! Funnily enough, I did a hair mask last night (Hair doctor by Lush) and my hair is much better today.

I honestly thought that you couldn't OVER moisturise. Just OVER proteinise!! I see I may have been wrong. Thanks for bumping this up, 'cos I've been going round in circles here. :D

cuties
January 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know whether the hugo naturals ylang ylang and red tea conditioner has protein or not? Here is the list of ingredients

AQUA/PURIFIED WATER ,BRASSICA ALCOHOL ,COCO-CAPRYLATE ,CAPRYLIC /CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE ,BRASSICYL ISOLEUCINATE ESYLATE ,GLYCERIN ,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL ,ARGININE ,ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL ,HYSSOPUS OFFICINALIS EXTRACT ,PANTHENOL ,CANANGA ODORATA FLOWER OIL ,ASPALATHUS LINEARIS LEAF EXTRACT ,GLUCONOLACTONE

http://hugonaturals.com/products/single-product/1835

I'm currently using it 3x a week and am looking to alternate it with another conditioner. I was wondering if I should get a protein based or moisture based. My hair loves the above mentioned conditioner, but I want to give this one a rest once a week :)

Arctic
January 24th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know whether the hugo naturals ylang ylang and red tea conditioner has protein or not? Here is the list of ingredients

AQUA/PURIFIED WATER ,BRASSICA ALCOHOL ,COCO-CAPRYLATE ,CAPRYLIC /CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE ,BRASSICYL ISOLEUCINATE ESYLATE ,GLYCERIN ,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL ,ARGININE ,ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL ,HYSSOPUS OFFICINALIS EXTRACT ,PANTHENOL ,CANANGA ODORATA FLOWER OIL ,ASPALATHUS LINEARIS LEAF EXTRACT ,GLUCONOLACTONE

http://hugonaturals.com/products/single-product/1835

I'm currently using it 3x a week and am looking to alternate it with another conditioner. I was wondering if I should get a protein based or moisture based. My hair loves the above mentioned conditioner, but I want to give this one a rest once a week :)

You can google each ingredient if you like. At least arginine is an amino acid (protein particle) and plant extracts can have proteins.

Suze2012
April 25th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Apologies for dragging an oldie up but I happened to find this as I'm learning about dew points and relative humidity at the moment (complicated stuff but very interesting and I did just find a site that describes my hair to perfection in relation to humidity levels.

I have been seeing the odd post mentioning over moisturising but I had no idea of the symptoms.

Now that I know I have something to work with as I'm having a dilemma with a change in the weather and trying to figure out what will help.
This could be one of the things which isn't helping.

I don't wanna even try to think about protein...my head is caving in with relative humidity and dew points tonight already!!! Arrrrgggh! Lol!

ravenreed
April 25th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Your hair needs will change depending on a lot of variables, one of which is humidity. My hair needs have changed as my hair has gotten longer. Don't fret too much, just listen to what it tells you it needs.

I avoid proteins completely and CO every other day to moisturize my hair. I rarely use oils, if I do it is just as a pre-wash. When my hair is snarly, I clarify and trim.

Apologies for dragging an oldie up but I happened to find this as I'm learning about dew points and relative humidity at the moment (complicated stuff but very interesting and I did just find a site that describes my hair to perfection in relation to humidity levels.

I have been seeing the odd post mentioning over moisturising but I had no idea of the symptoms.

Now that I know I have something to work with as I'm having a dilemma with a change in the weather and trying to figure out what will help.
This could be one of the things which isn't helping.

I don't wanna even try to think about protein...my head is caving in with relative humidity and dew points tonight already!!! Arrrrgggh! Lol!

Suze2012
April 26th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Your hair needs will change depending on a lot of variables, one of which is humidity. My hair needs have changed as my hair has gotten longer. Don't fret too much, just listen to what it tells you it needs.

I avoid proteins completely and CO every other day to moisturize my hair. I rarely use oils, if I do it is just as a pre-wash. When my hair is snarly, I clarify and trim.

Thanks for the reply. :)

The thing is that I've always thought my hair got dry when the weather got warmer but reading up on symptoms of over moisturisation has made me realise it's more similar to that than actually being dry.
I am still only a newbie to all this though! :)

Over the winter m hair has been the most perfect it has ever been so it's made me want to try and keep it that way.

I am on a massive learning curve still - but the good news is that realising it could be this or that means I have more options to try in order to help it be it's best and look after it properly...plus experiments are fun! *grins*

ludwig20
April 26th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I'm beginning to think I over condition and am thinking of cutting my conditionings to twice a week instead of 3 times. My hair is starting to feel abit waxy, and as I recently clarified and don't use cones, I know that's not it. I might cut one conditioning and see if that helps.

Re: waxy hair -- I've had this problem for a while now. It just occurred to me that it may be related to offsetting the moisture/protein balance. I usually oil my scalp and near my hairline. Sometimes I co-wash as well. Maybe all of this has contributed?

Kaelee
April 27th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I recently had my hair get a touch over-moisturized (it was stretchy and breaking). It took a long time to get that way and got worse when I started CO washing. I got a very protein heavy shampoo (nature's gate) and used that for a few days without conditioner, my hair came right back. Now I don't leave my CO wash on for longer than five minutes and I use the shampoo every once in a while (once a week or so). Fixed the problem right up!

jacqueline101
April 27th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I think when mine gets over moisturized it gets tangly and clumpy from tangles. I don't use protein treatment because my shampoo has protein in it.