PDA

View Full Version : MBA-Messy Braids/Buns Anonymous

FluffSpider
August 27th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have a confession to make. I LOVE messy braids/buns. Sure, I can make very neat braids, which I can wear OUT while sleeping 2 consecutive days in them, but it pains my heart when I braid something very loose(not enough for waves) then see it in the morning. It's messy, but so pretty<3
Messy buns have been a long-time favourite, and I miss the times when due to damage my hair would actually STAY messy. Now it won't. So if you have any techniques, or pictures, or..well, confessions about liking the messy stuff, feel free to post them!

Lianna
August 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I like messy braids and buns too. The buns aren't really tangled/knotted, it just looks messy. I place the hairstick(s) in a way that stays like that or pinning different sections away from each other. Plus wavy/curly hair might hold the style better than straight.

Aeltt
August 27th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Same here.
But i can't get a messy bun to hold, if i take a few strands out of the bun it just.. falls..
I don't think thick hair work with messy. Neat buns are the only one holding my hair securely anyway ^^'

FluffSpider
August 27th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Indeed. Mine's almost stick-straight. When it was APL I could get away with tangling it a bit for the buns, but now...not worth it. and it just won't stay messy. What should normally stick as messy looks like a misplaced lock of sleek hair. frustrating.:shake:

Lianna
August 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Same here.
But i can't get a messy bun to hold, if i take a few strands out of the bun it just.. falls..
I don't think thick hair work with messy. Neat buns are the only one holding my hair securely anyway ^^'

I guess there's no rules then, since you're curly and can't hold it. :D My hair is thick too and messy buns work for me.

tigereye
August 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I love messy buns! But until recently never figured out how to make one with my length of thick, straight, blunt ended hair. Fortunately I hit the jackpot when I was trying out the fully-rolled sock bun. It would never fully roll up right and I got little messy looser bits sticking out and returning to the bun. I just pinned it and went out with it. I love my messy bun. Only thing is, it's ever so slightly huge :D

Aeltt
August 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I guess there's no rules then, since you're curly and can't hold it. :D My hair is thick too and messy buns work for me.
I guess i'm just unlucky/not talented.
God, why me ???! :boohoo:

spidermom
August 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
It's rare that I can do any other kind. Messy it is!

mallorykay13
August 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I always wear my nightie/sleepie braid out. :) I have some layers (ugh..) that frame my face and some stick out so its cute!

gracenotes
August 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I LOVE messy buns but once my hair passed BSL they stopped working for me. I love the way they look, though. If I come up with a solution I'll let you all know!

Sometimes if I want a messy braid, I put some aloe vera gel in my hair before I braid it. It gives my hair just enough "grip" (kind of like a gel) that it can stay messy. Unfortunately, since I have layers, messy braids tend to turn into crazy-braids-with-lots-of-pieces-sticking-out-of-them instead!:rolleyes:

gthlvrmx
August 27th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Layers make any updo messier. I personally don't like a messy bun too much (it got overdone at school last year) and it makes me feel like it's not perfect on me. But that's me.
Im thinking layers and using spin pins on a looser messy bun will hold.

akuamoonmaui
August 27th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I love messy buns! I saw a really cute technique on You Tube I tried to find for this thread, but couldn't :( I haven't been able to make mine as cute as hers, but it goes something like this: make a loose bun and secure it with an elastic, gently pull apart the bun to loosen it and then pull just a few random strands out. She finished it with a flower on the side.

I usually just "loop" my hair in an elastic with the ends sticking up, then leave some loose and the others I loosely wrap around the elastic.

Lianna
August 27th, 2011, 04:51 PM
akuamoonmaui, I do the same as you but use small hair sticks to conceal the elastic (I don't have enough hair to wrap around).

I was planning to upload this picture a couple of days ago but the albums are down. I'm trying to incorporate flowers in my life. :D

This is like the easiest messy bun around. :p

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/Lianna333/Hair/Hair&#37;20up/Imag3068.jpg

Carolyn
August 27th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I adore the look of messy buns and try as I might, I can't get my hair to the degree of messiness I desire. My hair is straightish and silky and it just doesn't cooperate enough. I try to pull out little pieces and loops but it isn't enough. This is the one time I envy the curly girls. They seem to do the best messy buns.

khan
August 27th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I adore the look of messy buns and try as I might, I can't get my hair to the degree of messiness I desire. My hair is straightish and silky and it just doesn't cooperate enough. I try to pull out little pieces and loops but it isn't enough. This is the one time I envy the curly girls. They seem to do the best messy buns.

I know what you mean. Mine always just looked unkempt.
Last week I washed my hair & did a leave in conditioner & then applied a styling goop. I braided 4 rope & 4 english braids, let it dry overnight, & had a lovely curly, bodacious body filled head of hair. For about 3 hours.:( It may have lasted longer if I hadn't done the leave-in conditioner.
I did all that so I could do a couple days of messy buns. Looked good. After day 4 I couldn't stand the fluffly/thickness of it & washed again. ( I usually wash every 3-4 weeks. ) I admire the thick haired ladies here - but I'm happy with my silky straightness.

missoj
August 28th, 2011, 03:59 AM
My hair's in layers, it's more of a struggle for me to make a neat bun, than a messy bun.

Toiréasa
August 28th, 2011, 05:57 AM
I love messy buns, this is my go to style during the work week takes seconds to do and looks a little different every day. I find it very easy to do as I have just brushing BLS and layered hair.

slz
August 28th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I love them but I just can't since messy means that the weight will not be evenly distributed so it's painful and/or falls appart quite fast. I have thought of trying to fake a messy look by doing a normal well balanced bun with most of the hair and keeping part of it to "sloppily" wrap around in the end - too lazy to go through though.

As of braids, I love looser braids, but each time I try to do some I end up unwillingly tightening them up, I just can't help, it's not me it's my fingers :D .

QMacrocarpa
August 28th, 2011, 07:23 AM
In case anyone hasn't seen it, here's a link to Furiana's Messy Bun Sampler (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=129).

FluffSpider
August 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7043&pictureid=97919

That bun isn't as messy as I want it, AND the clip which worked on holding it cracked. so bye-bye...:(

Eternal.Fiend
August 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Well, I normally wear a messy bun type thing (got off a youtube video that I can't think of right now...), I get my hair in a ponytail, squash it, but another hair tie round it, and then bobby pin some of the pieces in place... But it's getting a bit hairder now my hair is a bit longer, so I skip the extra hair tie, just squash my hair and bobby pin :) With thicker hair then mine, it'll probably look cuter... As for messy braids, I can't really do them now my hair is softer, but if I ever wanted to abuse my hair, some blowdrying to make my hair huge and some backcombing with two loose english braids (w/hairband) always looked cute :)

But generally, with layers, all my updos come out kind of messy :P