PDA

View Full Version : Fingercombing Question

tanpopokitty
August 26th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Hello hello,
I've been trying to use the combs less and finger comb more since I haven't gotten a chance to buy a good comb yet, and I have one of those plastic ones with the snagging bits. However, I always feel like my hair is getting damaged when I do it. When dry, it's fine, but when my hair is even slightly damp and I run my fingers through it, the dampness makes my fingers feel "sticky" and I feel like my hair kind of stick to it and will rip if I try to run through it. Hmm.. I'm not sure if that's a good explanation. It's kind of as if I had a light coating of glue on my fingers and tried to run them through my hair.. All the strands just don't want to let go and then I pull out some hairs. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

I have bangs and a weird part so I don't like the idea of not touching my hair at all while it's drying.. I want to be able to bring my bangs to the front and such so they don't stick straight up. This problem makes it so that I always go back to my combs though. I feel like the plastic material "glides" through my hair better, if that makes sense. Anyways, I don't want to give up on finger combing, so any advice would be great! Also, my hair doesn't have much volume so even though rubbing conditioner into my fingers before running through my hair helps, I am trying not to use a ton of that. :)

longcurlygirl<3
August 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM
try detangleing with conditioner or a leave-in in your hair? That helps me.
I finger comb first for the huge tangles then comb with a wide tooth comb by coniar.

BeckyAH
August 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM
For me, if my hair is damp it clings to my fingers - if it's *soaking wet* and still conditioner filled or under running water while I rinse. I part then, and then use a comb on my bangs. ...I also blowfry and bleach the daylights out of my bangs. They're short, they're cut very regularly and from roots to OFF on my bangs is only about 6 months growth.

BlazingHeart
August 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I find fingercombing pulls out a lot more hair than combing or brushing; it just seems like hairs grab on to my fingers and come right out. I don't know if it's that I'm not as good about starting near the tips or what, but fingercombing doesn't work for me.

~Blaze

mallorykay13
August 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I find fingercombing pulls out a lot more hair than combing or brushing; it just seems like hairs grab on to my fingers and come right out. I don't know if it's that I'm not as good about starting near the tips or what, but fingercombing doesn't work for me.

~Blaze

I agree. I don't fingercomb well.

Coan-Teen
August 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I always leave a bit of conditioner on my hair so it's not rinsed completely clean. It makes finger combing simple. I suppose you could try a little oil on your fingers if your hair likes oil.

tanpopokitty
August 26th, 2011, 08:17 PM
For me, if my hair is damp it clings to my fingers - if it's *soaking wet* and still conditioner filled or under running water while I rinse. I part then, and then use a comb on my bangs. ...I also blowfry and bleach the daylights out of my bangs. They're short, they're cut very regularly and from roots to OFF on my bangs is only about 6 months growth.

Ha, I guess you're right about the bangs! They do get trimmed all of the time, so I suppose I could just use a comb on that part. :) I wouldn't mind straightening my bangs more often either. I think I'll have to start abusing mine too!

slo2gro
August 26th, 2011, 08:25 PM

~Blaze

yip me too sooo doesnt work for me lol i gently comb with wide tooth comb

lapispimpernel
August 26th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Ugh, that sticky feeling is awful! shudder: I basically only comb (finger or otherwise) in the shower, while my hair's still full of conditioner. Flip over to rinse, shake out the clumps, pat a bit, arrange a little, drip dry. The slight arranging while sopping wet takes out my weirdo cowlick most days. Beyond that, it goes into an updo in the morning- no reason to detangle further, really.

And... as for the other days...maybe this is weird, but my favorite fine toothed comb for misbehaving hairs is actually a nit comb, with round metal teeth. It was $5 or so at walmart. Ack, I admitted that in public... :lipssealed: :oops:

AuburnAlight
August 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I don't know what to say... For me fingercombing is the gentlest way to detangle and fingers always glide through my hair, but combs and brushes always rip and break them, no matter how gently I brush/comb.

Cassie 123
August 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Tanpopokitty, it sounds like combing might be the way to go for you. If there's any hair purchase that's undoubtedly worth the money, it's a wide-tooth comb. The ones from Hairsense (http://hairsense.com/bone_combs.php) are seamless, well-regarded around here, and not too pricey. Or you could use some fine sandpaper or an emery board to file down the rough seams on the comb you already have.

Everybody's hair is different, but traditional combing and BBB'ing really are meant for type 1 hair like yours. Finger combing is more likely to be a crucial technique for those with curly hair.