PDA

View Full Version : Why can some people wear n tear their hair & still have healthy looking hair?

xcrunr2go
August 25th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Why can some people wear their hair down all the time & not get mechanical damage? Or manage to have TBL hair??? If I tried to do that I'd have splits & frays!

archel
August 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
You're telling me! I see gals all the time that color, blow dry, and flat iron their hair and it looks like spun silk. I'm doing the "antique lace tablecloth" thing for 6 months and I'm still a fuzzball most days. Sigh!

Aimskylove
August 25th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Im not sure but I can say im lucky to be one of those who can iron their hair it takes it like a champ! lol

Roseate
August 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I think it's a fine/coarse thing a lot of the time. I have coarse hair, and it is very sturdy. Finer textures tend to be more fragile.

UltraBella
August 25th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I think it's a fine/coarse thing a lot of the time. I have coarse hair, and it is very sturdy. Finer textures tend to be more fragile.

I agree. You can do just about anything to my hair and it will survive and look pretty darn good ! My daughter has thick hair too but it is finer and she has to be more careful with her's.

MissManda
August 25th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Yes, I agree that it's partially due to the fineness/coarseness of one's hair, but I've been wondering lately if porosity might also have something to do with it. Even though my hair is fine, it doesn't have too much trouble with mechanical damage unless it's been touched by chemicals, in which case it breaks off like crazy. I seem to have low porosity and my hair is very slippery... It makes me wonder if my healthy hair doesn't get as much mechanical damage because the silkiness reduces friction so some degree? My hair definitely isn't the strongest out there by any means, but considering how small my individual hairs are, it holds up fairly well. I have a friend with full-on C hair tell me how remarkably strong my hair was when she found a random strand of it on my couch one day. I took that as a hue compliment! :D

kidari
August 25th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I've seen some people with BSL to waist length hair that dye it, highlight it, heat style it, wash it daily, etc and it looks pretty amazing. I think it has a lot to do with how strong their hair is and how wise they are about the damage that they do to it. It's probably because they are very knowledgeable and only use the best for their hair. However, people who do all this to their hair for the most part need to keep up with all the dying and heat styling in order for their hair to look the best. Usually everyone's hair looks better than usual with a little styling, etc once in a while. And even their hair needs a break once in a while. There's a happy medium I guess.

YepLilly
August 26th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I have to agree with all of you. I think it comes down to fine/coarse and porosity. My hair is fine and has high porosity, so I have to very careful! I'm trying my best to make it stronger. I guess things will get better once it becomes less fragile :D

WinterButterfly
August 26th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I have fine hair. But I can do just about anything without causing damage. I use cheep permenent dyes. I don't get breakage. My hair rarely splits. It also grows fast. It is quite straight too. It won't hold a curl, and a lot of hair tyes just slip out. I heard that straighter hair was structurly stronger than curly hair. I think it depends on how well your hair holds on to moisture. If it drys out easy, then it is probably more likely to break. I didn't even get breakage the time I removed black hair dye with bleach. I used the bleach twice in a row followed by another hair dye. I cut it off due to dryness, not breakage or splits. Though I do have to say that I don't use a lot of heat on my hair. Curls fall out, so I don't bother. It is straight as a board. No need to straighten. I finally bought a hair dryer. But I don't like using it because my arms get tiered, and its been over 100 outside. I don't want to add any heat to the house. ((I do use my ac. It just helps to not add aditional heat to the mix) so maybe it is because I don't use a litt of stuff besides dye? Maybe you just are missing a vitimin. Is your hair really fine, you may need special scizors to trim it with. I have a friend and if she has less than perfect scizors used on her hair it splits all over. I would give up having great hair for perfect teeth though. For the $ I have spent on my teeth, I could get a really nice collection of wigs. I bet that you have something wonderful about yourself that people with strong hair with they had. :)

Mesmerise
August 26th, 2011, 01:02 AM
The only things that really damage my hair are bleaching and over perming. The other damaging things I guess, cause some damage, but don't give me lots of splits and stuff (although I'm sure some of my frizzies are due to too much use of heat!!).

I am fairly sure I could wear virgin hair loose every day and it'd grow long without a problem (hair that's had some damage will probably experience more damage over the years though...).

kiwiipop
August 26th, 2011, 01:29 AM

Dragon
August 26th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I also think for some people it could be how quickly there hair grows since fast growing hair gets cut more often.

lillylonghair
August 26th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Since finding LHC,I am much more careful with my hair (although,I will admit to occasionally )ripping the Tangle Teezer through :/) but I used to bleach,dye,blowfry,straighten and my hair hair was still shiny with nary a split end. My hair will get dry but no splits. My moms hair is the same. Both of us rarely trim b/c we just don't need to.

newbeginning
August 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I agree with the texture idea. I have coarse hair and thankfully it can withstand a lot (not that I do much evil to it now but I used to brush it wet, etc. when I was a kid).

nobunny
August 26th, 2011, 07:54 PM
i like to think that it's just the luck of genetic grabbag. i can't get my hair to hold a curl even with wetsets but i can get platinum blonde with NO toner and not too much damage if done correctly. some people can take heat, some have princess curls when they wake up - i'm just good at lifting! *flex

spidermom
August 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I think hair abuse catches up to most people eventually unless they are regularly cutting the damage off.

My ex-SIL had gorgeous, healthy looking classic length hair at one time. She didn't take very good care of it, although I think her worst "sins" were ripping a comb or brush through it and wearing it down most of the time. The ends got more and more tattered-looking, and it eventually broke off all the way to about tailbone.

Lianna
August 26th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I'm in a class where all the girls have at least waist length hair, and half of them are highlighted, a lot seem to heat style (and no, isn't extensions). I guess some people just really take care of their hair (they all look high maintenance), because I doubt they all hit the hair genetic lottery.

My hair is somewhat strong I'd say (F/M, normal porosity), since I can dye/bleach/(warm) blowdry/wash everyday without damage, but since it's barely APL this information is not much valid here. I'm very careful when it tangles though. Tangle teezer is really good for dry brushing on my hair (I detangle damp). :)