PDA

View Full Version : The best thing I ever did for my hair

BeckyAH
August 25th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Fill in the blank. What (besides joining LHC) was the best thing you've ever done for your hair/has made the biggest difference?

For me, I think, throwing out the brush is it.

Henna_Goddess
August 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Using henna to dye my hair red/auburn instead of the boxed chemical dyes or going to the salon.

Navydoc_76
August 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I agree with henna goddess-i quit dying my hair red like i have the last 17 years, and turned to henna. my hair has never been healthier.

FireKat
August 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Henna and giving up shampoo. I fought with my hair for years, it was always frizzy and crunchy. Now it's growing out thick and soft. It rained today and !YAY! no frizz!

sarahbrownie
August 25th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Give up the heat! Made such a difference.

SusanSt
August 25th, 2011, 06:20 PM
For me, it's been no longer perming and using sulfate-free products.

nena_shawty
August 25th, 2011, 06:21 PM
not hacking at the tangles and washing my hair with conditioner ...

Maelyssa
August 25th, 2011, 06:36 PM
For me it is definitely cutting down the harsh sulfates. Hands down my hair & scalp are so much better off either low sulfate or no sulfate.

Messyhair
August 25th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Uhhh... it's a toss up between using the wooden comb exclusively and/or only shampooing the scalp hair.

silverjen
August 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Stretching washes, for sure.

Coan-Teen
August 25th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Stretching washes and using oils. My hair would love nothing more than for me to stop washing altogether, but I can't quite do it. I use heavy conditioners instead and my hair likes that, too. Not as much... but what can you do. :shrug:

christine1989
August 25th, 2011, 07:31 PM
9+ years ago I gave up heat which is bar none the best thing I've ever done for it. More recently though the best thing I've discovered is henna(+indigo).

elbow chic
August 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Probably oiling. I really had no idea that anything could be done for dry ends except cut 'em off.

swearnsue
August 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
The best thing would be using henna instead of commercial hair dyes!

Rusticular
August 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM
No longer ripping through it with a hard brush. Poor hair must have HAAATED me.

GRU
August 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
CO-washing, hands down!

Aerin
August 25th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I think accepting my hair as it is naturally. So much better for it than heat styling.

BeckyAH
August 25th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I think accepting my hair as it is naturally. So much better for it than heat styling.

Can I change my answer to this? I'm 34. I thought for most of my life was naturally straight. Then I upgraded to thinking it was a bit wavy. Nope. It's curly. It's amazing how much less I hate it now that I've stopped torturing the heck out of it.

joesgirl2011
August 25th, 2011, 08:34 PM
The best thing hands down is Coconut Oil..i can't believe i never heard of using it before LHC. This place is amazing!!!

CurlyCap
August 25th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Embracing conditioner. :D

When I was young, my hair scared my mom so much she only got it wet once a week, and it was dry, dry, DRY.

Now I wet and condition every night, and it's happy and gorgeous. Conditioner is my dry, porous hair's friend.

Freitzeit
August 25th, 2011, 09:04 PM
The best thing for my hair has been scalp washes! My length has been so much healthier since I stopped slathering it with sulfates.

Shoga
August 25th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Stretching washes!! I used to wash it every day and couldn't figure out why my hair was so dry, dull and limp.

archel
August 25th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Giving up the box dye and the blow frying!

NightOwl26
August 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Stopped blowing out my hair and straightening everyday. Wearing it up using a clip instead of a hair tie helps so much.

SkinnyCookie
August 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM
The best thing(s) I ever did for my hair were:

1: Stop the violence! No more blowfrying!

2: Weekend oil treatments. I inherited pretty grease-inclined hair, so I can't do it that often (or stretch washes-Just doesn't work.). I got my sis started, too, and she went from my mother threatening to buzz-cut her dry, damaged, unmanageable locks to smooth, silky, moderately damaged hair that lost about 3" at the ends.

IcarusBride
August 25th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Coconut oil!

Susana
August 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Oils <3<3<3<3

CathyEarnshaw
August 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Embracing the grey!

UltraBella
August 25th, 2011, 10:24 PM
The best thing I have done for my hair is cut it significantly. I am enjoying it so much more at a shorter length.

Macaroni
August 25th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Returning to co washing. I had a bad experience with White Rain Extra Body conditioner and read posts here that mentioned VO5 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint Tea conditioner.

What a difference! It's ♥.

teal
August 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Stretching washes, ACV rinses and oils in the short term. I can't say whether giving up heat (dryer, straightener) has helped much as I never used them much to begin with and I haven't given them up for that long, only a couple of months.

Loreley
August 25th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Oiling, especially with coconut oil. :inlove:

MinderMutsig
August 26th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Ditching the conditioner and especially the CO washes.

Hamh
August 26th, 2011, 01:42 AM
since having my daughter over two years ago I didn't use heat anywhere near as much as I did, blow-dry couple of times a week and straighten maybe once/twice a month giving it up completely 3 months ago has been a revelation! After a little time of being a bit "wild" my hair actually looks it's best just washed and left to dry with no touching!! Love this fact even more because I never really was good at blowdrying my hair (hence the ghd) and now I actually get the style I have always wanted all along just by leaving my hair to do it's own thing!!!!! Who would have known :o

EbonyCurls
August 26th, 2011, 01:44 AM
It would be between CWC and finger combing/detangling.

Aveyronnaise
August 26th, 2011, 01:52 AM
No blowdrying, I didn't even use other forms of heat but blowdrying is just not for my hair. The parts of my hair that haven't been dried are like night and day from the other section.
Also no sulfates , my scalp gets absolutely torn up from them.

WinterButterfly
August 26th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I don't wash every day anymore. I also use coconut oil here and there. :)

MsBubbles
August 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Scalp-washes! :)

AngelDella
August 26th, 2011, 08:04 AM
giving up heat styling, CWC, nightblooming panacea on ends

CurlyMopTop
August 26th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Giving up sulfates and silicones. No more brushing! :D

Cassie 123
August 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Quit reading fashion magazines.

LaFlor
August 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
trading the brush for a comb. coconut oil.

alwayssmiling
August 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Moisturising my ends every single day! (I never realised how much moisture my hair actually needed)

Saraya
August 26th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Deciding to stop coloring my hair and let it grow out naturally. Its so much healthier since i've really stopped using heat too. I just pin my bangs back or dry them just enough that they dont curl too much.

teal
August 26th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Quit reading fashion magazines.

LOL! I did this years ago when I realized that I just won't look as good as the models without supreme dedication to fashion and deep pockets, neither of which I had.

Mymagicfairy
August 26th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Best thing I have done..is stop coloring with chemicals....I use henna now
As well as no more shampoos
I use shampoo bars...all natural
And no more blow drying or flat ironing
My hair is now healthy...and super shiny!!!

scottigirl_01
August 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Love this thread. Finding LHC was magical for me. Like so many, I have ditched the dye, and I now henna, convenient that I was a red head to begin with. Stopping blowfrying, indeed all heat has been great for my hair. I stretch washes out more, as far as Saturday to Wed. So
A combination of CO and CWC, using more more gentle and natural products. Very little brushing, and even then it's gentle with a Mason Pearson or TT. High quality, smooth combs. No trims, search and destroy instead. A different mindset towards my hair, one of healthy, natural and gentleness.

scottigirl_01
August 26th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Love this thread. Finding LHC was magical for me. Like so many, I have ditched the dye, and I now henna, convenient that I was a red head to begin with. Stopping blowfrying, indeed all heat has been great for my hair. I stretch washes out more, as far as Saturday to Wed. So
A combination of CO and CWC, using more more gentle and natural products. Very little brushing, and even then it's gentle with a Mason Pearson or TT. High quality, smooth combs. No trims, search and destroy instead. A different mindset towards my hair, one of healthy, natural and gentleness.

dRummie
August 26th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Ooh.. tough choice. So far it's between giving up the brush and CWC :)

KrissyKitty
August 26th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Learning to accept my natural color and texture.

IanB
August 26th, 2011, 10:36 AM
The best thing I ever did was not to have it cut!

nobeltonya
August 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
not hacking at the tangles and washing my hair with conditioner ...

Ditto. Now that I know how to properly comb my hair [with a wide-tooth comb], it's not nearly so frizzy. And, I've stopped combing "dry." I only comb it in the shower or just after, when it's washed and conditioned. Or, after I heavily oil it every other day in the evening. Also, now when I shampoo [yes, every day], I only leave it on for like 2 minutes. I used to leave it on for at least 4-5 minutes while I soaped and everything else... and, I wasn't conditioning.. at all. Just oiling relatively regularly. Also, one of the biggest things is that now I have a relatively balanced, healthy diet. Prior to 2007, when I met my husband, my diet consisted of Chef Boyardee, McDonald's, any processed, packaged foods and fast foods you could think of... now, we eat Indian food. And, I can't eat fast food anymore.. it makes me sick.

free_hug
August 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Stretching washes. Actually - dry shampoo, which allows me to stretch washes and still look/feel presentable.

MariZita
August 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
The best thing I did for my hair was: accepting it's waves, color, texture and conditioning it every day even if I don't wash it. I use a leave-in hair conditioner and stretch washes as much as possible. Then I leave it to air dry.
My hair loves this!

UP Lisa
August 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Wearing it up pretty much every day, and braiding it at night. Basically, keeping it from tangling, so I don't have to destroy it trying to get the tangles out.

stacyyyy1972
August 26th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Stretching washes to twice weekly and doing wo between. I Have very little natural oil in my hair and had a hair dessert suggest that to me years ago. Once I stopped gooping on the alcohol based products I realized I could do this and had been great. Also I braid at night to minimize breakage from tangling. I Also have to say finding this site is going to be the life of my locks!!! Thank you all!!

stacyyyy1972
August 26th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Stretching washes to twice weekly and doing wo between. I Have very little natural oil in my hair and had a hair dresser suggest that to me years ago. Once I stopped gooping on the alcohol based products I realized I could do this and has been great. Also I braid at night to minimize breakage from tangling. I Also have to say finding this site is going to be the life of my locks!!! Thank you all!!

UP Lisa
August 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
LOL! I sure wish I could give you some of my oiliness!

Stretching washes to twice weekly and doing wo between. I Have very little natural oil in my hair and had a hair dessert suggest that to me years ago. Once I stopped gooping on the alcohol based products I realized I could do this and had been great. Also I braid at night to minimize breakage from tangling. I Also have to say finding this site is going to be the life of my locks!!! Thank you all!!

Ashenputtel
August 26th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I would say no cone no sulfate and stop over hydrating my hair. I was putting to much on my poor fine strands.

Elysium
August 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Giving up the box dye. My hair is twice as thick as it was.
And oils. I :heartbeat my coconut oil!

Becky Safari
August 26th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Cutting it myself for sure.

Kricket
August 26th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Giving up combs/brushes?! I couldn't do that.

For me it would be going to non-sulfate and silicone-free shampoo/conditioner, and getting down to shampooing once a week.

jeanniet
August 26th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I would say going herbal, using a Tangle Teezer, and Nightblooming's Panacea. Heh, that's all I do now. Oh, and also avoiding the urge to "try this, it's new!" Saves me money, too. :D

einna
August 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Going CO and more moisture in general!

mallorykay13
August 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
C-COW-C washing and being more educated about the structure of hair. I also have become hypersensitive about the infamous hair-snapping sound.

MissAlyssa
August 26th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Stopped heat styling, stretching washes, and this isn't really something I learned from LHC, but washing my hair at night and sleeping on it makes my poofy hair look much smoother and nicer :)

Apriori
August 26th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Streching washes and replacing my brush with a wide tooth comb

BlazingHeart
August 26th, 2011, 02:25 PM
ACV rinses seem to be the best for my hair I've discovered so far, though switching away from SLS has been really good for my scalp.

~Blaze

giuditta
August 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Definately henna, after abusing my hair for years trying to get volume with harsh shampoo's and heat styling, it's now thick and bouncy and shiny :cheese:

And using conditioner, I always thought my hair didn't need it, but it clearly does...

CherrySilver
August 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Meeting George Michael.

Macaroni
August 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Returning to co washing. I had a bad experience with White Rain Extra Body conditioner and read posts here that mentioned VO5 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint Tea conditioner.

What a difference! It's ♥.

Adding: my CVS had VO5 on sale today for 77 cents. I bought three of the Vanilla Mint Tea conditioners.

Ithonna
August 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Moved out of my biological father's out. OH HEAVENS! My step mother destroyed my hair! Fried it to the point that it was breaking off at the root. T_T

Seishin
August 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hmmmm, throwing out the sls shampoo, brush, silicone serums, cutting out the heat...... And CO and ACV rinses, the best thing EVER!!!

Auburn_locks
August 26th, 2011, 04:31 PM
It's got to be switching to henna from conventional dyes. I've only been doing it for around 2 months and I'm already noticing a difference!

Anya21
August 26th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Same here , switching to henna made a big difference for me!

Anisaa
August 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM
For me it has been no DYEING and oiling my hair weekly!

kdaniels8811
August 26th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Henna, indian herbs, catnip. Giving up chemical dyes, heat, and haircuts!

ssjhotau2
August 26th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Was coming to these forums :D

Pretty much everything I do with my hair now I learned here.

I ditched the blow dryer, ditched chemical dyes for henna, ditched the brush for a comb (and soon to arrive Tangle Teezer and BBB and I'm drooling over wide tooth bone combs atm). I (mostly) ditched the sulfates/cones- added coconut, jojoba, and vitamin E oils plus occasionally some macadamia nut oil. Learned to do some buns and started braiding more to protect my hair.

Moisture treatments leave my hair feeling amazing.

It's hard to pinpoint what helped/helps the most. Just sticking with what is working at the moment and still experimenting. Love this place.

Impulsive
August 26th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I've changed so many things about my original routine that it's hard to pin down any one as the best, but I'm going to say S&D is the best, because tangling is a big problem for me. When I remove the split ends there are fewer tangles and I spend less time detangling, so there is also less mechanical damage.

slo2gro
August 26th, 2011, 08:14 PM
for ME its CWC, Coconut Oil and ACV rinces all help my hair tremendously to stay managable.

spidermom
August 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I can't decide between CWC with diluted shampoo or coconut oil.

pocketsmall
August 26th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Honestly I've loved everything I've tried and I have SO much more to experiment with.

Thus far, I'd have to go with tossing my brushes and only using a wooden comb. Coconut oil is right up there as well.

Khiwanean
August 26th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Coconut oil is the best thing I ever did for my hair, hands down. It makes it so smooth and shiny and brings out the wurls like nothing else.

kidari
August 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM
This is so hard, I can't choose just one but I guess the most significant thing would be learning to cut my own hair and doing it myself exclusively.

Lissandria
August 27th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I can't decide between henna/indigo and ACV rinses :)

Rosetta
August 27th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Abandoning the conventional ideas of haircare and what my hair should look like...
Which includes stopping going to hairdresser's, stopping perms (although I stopped that a long time ago already), and using henna :)

luxepiggy
August 27th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Switching to amine-functionalized 'cones - shiny shiny! (^(oo)^)v

celebriangel
August 27th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Oh goodness, I can't decide. Henna has been amazing for my hair, but so has regular oiling of my hair/ends. My hair just loves oil, in henna, in conditioner, in deep treatments and just plain on my hair. It doesn't really matter which wash method I choose, as long as I oil my hair plenty.

It doesn't even seem picky about what sort of oil. EVOO works, panacea salve works, coconut oil works, even going WO so I have lots of sebum in my hair works - so at the moment I go on scent :)

tolly
August 27th, 2011, 07:09 AM
cutting off all my chemical damage to less than an inch, it couldn't be salvaged. I treat this new head of hair much better

Mayflower
August 27th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Henndigo once a month for sure! And other protein treatments about every two weeks. Protein just makes my hair thicker (as in: every strand) and fuller.

Isidith
August 29th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I'd have to say oiling my hair!

jasper
August 29th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Deep conditioning with a caramel treatment.

julierockhead
August 29th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hahahahahaha letting my mall bangs grow out!

redcelticcurls
August 29th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Getting to know my hair. I mean, *really* know my hair.

I've wasted enough time and money jumping on bandwagons because many liked them or they were 'good' or 'healthy'.

Coconut oil is awful on me. Crunchy and brittle. Henna was worse. I never had such brittle, breaking hair from a conventional dye. Things that help with protein retention or in bulking up the hair strand are sheer disasters on my hair. Add panthenol to that category too.

Daily updos cause more damage than hair left free, for me.

After I learned about texture, porosity, curl type, environmental factors such as dew points, hair care is stress free.

Will the LHC Orthodoxy clutch their collective pearls because my hair doesn't like henna or coconut oil or that I think SMTs are too wimpy for me? Maybe. But, so what? I learned what ingredients it likes, which it doesn't, and what things are dew point dependent or based on where I am I'm my
dye cycle. Sometimes group input helped, and sometimes it didn't.

Learning to do what my hair says and not what others say is the biggest thing I've learned.

hototogisu
August 30th, 2011, 12:44 AM
'Learning to do what my hair says and not what others say is the biggest thing I've learned.'

THIS. Though I'm definitely still learning what my hair likes.

Nymph
August 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM
The oil shampoo method, hands down.

Mannaz
August 30th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Giving up dyeing and shampoo.

Alacris~
August 30th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Quitting the dye and bleach and pampering my hair with oil and deep conditioners has definitely made a difference for my overall hair health.

kouran
August 30th, 2011, 04:32 AM
The best thing I ever did for my hair was going natural.

Monsterkitti
August 30th, 2011, 04:59 AM
The best things, stopping straightening and stopping the highlights :) Plenty of others apart from that though, LHC has done wonders for my hairs health.

LoversLullaby
August 30th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Embracing my curls rather than hiding them away with brushes and straighteners.
Second would have to be CO washing and aloe vera gel!

cheshire90
August 30th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Preconditioning with coconut oil, major help

fairytalehair
August 30th, 2011, 11:32 PM
1) Moroccanoil when damp.
2) Moroccanoil at night on all the ends.
3) Sulfate-free
4) ACV rinse
5) Wear hair in a stick (in bun) and dont brush it.

~Jenny^-^~
August 30th, 2011, 11:57 PM
The best thing I ever did for my hair. . . was either to stop straightening it everyday/using heat, OR dying it with henna. Both made ENORMOUS improvements in my hair health. Great thread! :D

Sahar24
August 31st, 2011, 02:34 AM
1. CO washing
2. Oiling the ends (sweet almond)
3. Saying bye-bye to the heat (both dryer and straighteners)
4. Accepting that my hair will NEVER be silky satiny smooth and poker straight
5. Saying bye-bye to my hairdresser!

luvlaughlin
August 31st, 2011, 02:42 AM
Only washing it 3x week.

Veviticus
August 31st, 2011, 02:13 PM
The BEST thing I have ever done for my hair was to lock it up!:cheese:

vanillabones
August 31st, 2011, 02:21 PM
Stopping chemical, bleach, and heat exposure 100&#37;.

Dizzy_zzz
August 31st, 2011, 02:22 PM
bunning my hair on the top of my head at night is a close first

Starlight1986
November 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Hmm, so far it would be: No more blow drying, CWC and discovering how badly my hair needs some moisture. So I started oiling. It feels much better. :)

aisha.christine
November 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Paying attention to what my hair wants and likes, and cutting out heat styling and dyeing.
My hair is so much happier for it. :D

Johannah
November 28th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Giving up the heat for sure :)

jacqueline101
November 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Leaving all the damaging things alone.

Amber_Maiden
November 28th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Getting a tangle teezer.

WaterMusic
November 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hmm. There are a lot of things, and I would probably have to put using a satin pillowcase at the top, but using Nightblooming's Winter Salve, CO, and wearing protective updos are all up there.

RapunzelKat
November 28th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Probaly detangling slowly and carefully, in sections, and with my current favorite detangler is the best thing I have done for my hair. It keeps my hair from breaking while detangling after a wash, which was my biggest source of breakage before I changed my strategy. Stretching washes and wearing protective styles has also helped.

Fairlight63
November 28th, 2011, 02:06 PM
The best thing that I have done for my hair is to quit dying it.

Cania
November 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Start using EVOO!

papera
November 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Giving up silicons and adding a bit of Aloe Vera in my hair mask :D

joflakes
November 28th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Quitting the hair dye.

AcornMystic
November 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
About 3 weeks ago I would have said ACV rinses because it helped to counter the harsh effects of many commercial cleaners, (upon closer inspection I would say switching to baking soda as my regular cleaner because of the glaring negative effects SLS was starting to have on my skin) but no. It is switching back to S/C and not just any S/C. Using ones from a health food store that contain the things they do. I took a leap of faith and bought some that contain sodium lauryl sulfoacetate which is supposedly a healthy alternative, something to do with chemical compound, to to the dreaded SLS and is sweeping the hair care industry. I don't even need to do ACV rinses afterwards. This stuff contains multiple oils and some acids and it smells like coconut (no doubt contains the beneficial affects of it. I get my moisturizing, my protein treatment, and my acid rinse all in one while cleaning my hair. It's awesome, and for someone that was raving about baking soda being right for me, this is saying something.

I tried going back to SLS since I have to wash my hair more often for my job, particularly since my hair isn't long enough to pony yet, but I started getting big sores on the back of my neck, like elevated sores that looked like swollen spider bites. Very tender they were. So I needed to make a change and I found what works. If I don't BBB my hair even, it still feels so soft and healthy, but I still like to to help pull out loose hairs. Hands down, best thing I've ever done using this stuff, since it includes many of the things that has helped me. Best thing aside from stopping dying my hair. Shampoo and conditioner by the way is Alba Botanicals.

desertgirl
November 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM
scalp: giving up sulfate shampoos
hair: giving up heat styling/drying

kmoc123
November 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Argon oil and avoiding scissors!!!

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2011, 08:51 PM
sooo many things but I think hands down giving up the straightener!

I blow out after it's air dryed about 50-75% but no other heat.

Modarunner
November 28th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Buying horn combs, scritching, and switching to Shampoo bars. My hair is so happy!

balticbabe
November 30th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Discovering clarifying shampoo. Before the shampoo my hair would look dull and damaged after a years worth of growth. My hair never got to collar length before I thought it needed to go. I was about to cut it when I discovered this site. Used the shampoo and my hair was soft and shiny like when I was a teen. Now I can leave it alone and let it grow.

Nakjter
November 30th, 2011, 12:04 PM
The best thing I could do for my hair, has been using herbal rinses. I'm doing very well a concentrated infusion of nettle and basil and a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. It seems that, my hair go longer without needing a wash. Before I had to wash one day every other, but now I wash every four days. Maybe I can spread further washing.

PixxieStix
November 30th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Well, a few things:

1. Henna
2. Oil Shampoo
3. Deep conditioning treatments
4. Stretching washes.
5. Learning how to detangle my hair instead of brushing

auroraclio
November 30th, 2011, 12:30 PM
-Giving up heat styling
-Stretching washes

MissAlida
November 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Giving up the shampoo...when my anti-dandruff shampoo went to the trash, so did my dandruff...never had any problems with it since then.:)

acidpod
May 15th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Honestly, finding this site! i am a total newbie after a lifetime of chemical dyes and hairdryers and hating my frizzy hair...now i have seen the light, i'm 4 hennas in and love it!i have the hair i always wanted and tried so hard to get!

afu
May 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Definitly converting to CO, before LHC it never even crossed my mind that maybe my hair hated shampoo!

PrairieRose
May 15th, 2012, 02:21 PM
The best thing for me is giving up heat and if I can pick two things...giving up chemical dyes!

phabieau
May 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
No heat and quitting my plastic brush for my wide toothed comb.

Also, a few weeks ago I soaked my scalp in olive oil and did a vinegar rinse and it stopped itching! Success!

Tisiloves
May 15th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Oiling, also finding out that my hair hates combs.

TeaGarden
May 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM
La Brailiana Dieci (http://www.amazon.com/La-Brasiliana-Dieci-All-Treatment/dp/B003ZKEI8W) leave-in spray. I put it in my hair whenever it gets wet. HUGE difference. I love this stuff.

KahRistAhn
May 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Umm, probably the biggest things that have helped me are using henna and never using heat. I stopped using sulfates and cones but I'm not sure how much that has even made a difference....I'm just assuming it's helped? Haha.

ravenreed
May 15th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hmm, I have no idea if I answered already, but here it goes.
-Giving up SLS shampoos and switching to CO.
-ACV rinses
-Catnip rinses
-Using a Tangle Teaser.

Tota
May 15th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Tangle Teezer, giving up conventional shampoos and CO-ing

Arashi
May 15th, 2012, 04:35 PM
-Giving up the blowdryer, flatiron, and curling iron
-Switching to products without sulfates and 'cones

jessa
May 15th, 2012, 06:17 PM
giving up the heat styler, shampoo and brush!
who knew giving things up would be good for the hair, you always have stylists telling you all this stuff you need to get.

AmandaKoiter
May 15th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I suppose it was chopping it all off. My hair never seemed all that damaged, but after 15 years of coloring it, it seemed like it was time to find out what my natural color really was. So I grew out the roots a couple of inches and chopped my APL hair down to 1 inch. NOw that my hair is chin length and all virgin I have realized that color is amazing and my hair is so much shinier and healthy than I ever could have imagined. Now I take especially good care of it.... I guess you could say I baby it.

KAggs
May 15th, 2012, 06:40 PM
The best thing I've done for my hair is definitely giving up on the blowdryer. My hair overall looks soooo much better! There's less frizz and doesn't look...crispy/stick-like/frail texture. Big improvement!

lundmir
May 15th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Henna, definitely. Henna and also vegetable dyes, since I tend to change my hair color about every 6 months, and I do tend to abuse bleach.
Oooh, and coconut oil before bleaching. Lifesaver.

Raiscake
May 15th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Putting my hair up all the time.

MiamiPineapple
May 15th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Deciding to wear it up 99% of the time, oiled.

luckyshot
May 15th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Giving up the bleach! I have about 2-3 inches of natural roots now, and they are so healthy and shiny. Plus I have a ton of little baby hairs coming in, I think my hair is going to end up a lot thicker than it was when I was constantly bleaching it.

hairconvictions
May 15th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Giving up brushing my wet hair, or brushing at all for that matter.
R.I.P. plastic friend. I still love you, really I do.

Kittykins
May 15th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Henna, S&D, SMT, coconut oil and switching to low sulfate and cone free shampoo and coditioner.

carmac21
May 16th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Quitting bleach and the hair straightener, it wasnt easy at first, but definately worth it!!:D

neet
May 16th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Scalp massage using Castor oil

hellucy
May 16th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Stopping using my hair dryer everyday has had the best impact on my hair, but I think it is very closely followed by ditching chemical dye in favour of henna, which is also closely followed by stretching washes from everyday to every other day......Sorry I'm indecisive - I also don't think just one change is capable of 'fixing' a life time of bad habits & mistreatment.

auroraclio
May 16th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Giving up heat and letting my hair air-dry. The change is incredible

longNred
May 16th, 2012, 07:58 AM
using henna, without a doubt. naturally covered/blended grays, and made it so much more shiny!

Nenyath
May 16th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Picking just one is impossible, they all come with compound interest! Putting my hair up in buns has helped in leaps and bounds, switching to resin combs and gentler combing too. Keeping my hair up at night in a scarf assures no tangles and no near strangled experiences. cutting back on shampoo and stretching washes helped, going KO (kombucha only) is working wonders, especially now that I also scalp massage and preen.. Cutting my own hair gives absolute control over length, I don't go long overdue because I can't afford it and I don't end up inches short than I planned due to well meaning stylists.. As I said, compound interest! :p

ingvild
May 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Hmm. I think...

- start using conditioner :p
- use milder shampoos, and less often (better for my scalp too)
- don't know if my hair benefited from this, but it feels much better to use my resin comb, than a plastic paddle brush :D

Covet
May 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM
CO washing (since 2009), buying a TT and stopping dying my hair

shirohane
May 16th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Using a comb and BBB instead of a plastic brush and NW/SO. I'm also quite happy with my recent-ish chop, my hair looks healthier without all the breakage.

shutterpillar
May 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I discovered this before joining LHC (it is actually what led me here... a google search) but using coconut oil on my hair - and everything else - has been a Godsend.

That, and no longer using heat. Now if only I could grow out my damage, and my hair would be feeling amazing.

Neneka
May 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM
The best thing I have done for my hair is to stop using sulphates. Also oils and stretching washes have done a great difference. And veggie dyes.

GrowingGlory
May 16th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Not applying heat, not having it cut, choosing an appropriate cleansing method (dilute organic soap nut rinse), wooden brush and BBB, practicing NW/SO.

Pecheresse
May 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Using a neutral shampoo and castor /coconut oil, among others.

dwell_in_safety
May 16th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Wearing it up all the time, ending shampoo use, fingercombing (and never using a brush), and purchasing a proper pair of hair-cutting scissors for trims have all combined to make a HUGE difference in the state of my hair. Oiling helps as well, as does a satin pillowcase, but I wouldn't put them in quite the same category as the rest.

Valfreyja
May 16th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Well, probably the fact that I no longer bleach the living daylights out of it in order to dye it a particular light/bright colour.

Then bleach it again in order to get rid of the colour in order to dye it ANOTHER colour.

And repeat. Again. And again. And again. And again. And again...

Sticking to just the one colour I have now and learning to leave it alone is definitely the best thing I ever learnt to do (although it's more about not doing something) to my hair.

Denebi
May 16th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Just two words: Tangle Teezer. :thumbsup:

natural_shine
May 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
-I stopped keeping my hands on it/playing with it all day.
-stopped using hair dryer

Tizzles
May 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Got rid of the flat iron
No more blowfrying
S&D
Sulfate free shampoos
Deep oil mix of castor oil, olive oil and amla oil on my length

pepperminttea
May 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Actually caring for it. For years I assumed it was a hopeless case, and that I'd never even like it. Not so!

LadyLongLocks
May 16th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Giving up sls and sles. (sulfates)

Shermie Girl
May 16th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Going blonde! :D I know that it isn't "good" for my hair but it is true to me. I spent years doing the "right thing" even did henna for a while and I was never truly happy with my hair. Before I lightened it in February, it was my natural colour, all virgin and waist length and I absolutely hated it. Now, it is a little shorter (had to trim, post lightening) and it has to be pampered like the dickens but I am so happy with it that it is all worth it. So yeah. This was the best thing I ever did for my hair. :cheese:

<3OnHerSleeve
May 16th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Sooo many things I've changed which has made a significant difference to my hair... I don't know if I can pick from them which is the 'best'.

1) One of the best things has been cutting off all the hair dye and restarting my long hair journey from healthy hair.

2) When my hair was damaged, the one thing that helped it from drying, shriveling and breaking from the intense damage of perming, excessive bleaching, and heat products was the Herbal Essences Moisture conditioner. I know it's not a "conefree" conditioner range, but they basically saved my hair from turning into uncooked spaghetti strings

3) Oiling my hair, especially with coconut oil.

Faux
May 16th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Honestly, my Chi flat iron changed my life. I never have a bad hair day anymore!

catamonica
May 16th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Wearing my hair in a bun most of the time. I have no split ends. It s growing again. And olive
oil added to shampoo & conditioner and aloe Vera to conditioner has made my hair baby soft.

Vanilla
May 16th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Two things.

Stopped dying it red with conventional dyes.

Scalp massage :)

gogirlanime
May 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Using henna to dye my hair red/auburn instead of the boxed chemical dyes or going to the salon.

This, second-ed

runner up: no heat
runner up up: wear hear up 90% of the time.

dene
May 16th, 2012, 10:04 PM
The best thing I ever did was give up commercial shampoos ( soapnut liquid, or baking soda wash) commercial conditioners, don't need them anymore, have hennaed my hair since I was 21 and now am 51, use amla oil, amla powder, cassia, tumeric, cocnut oil, jojoba , henna, and everyday without fail I spray my special mist all over my hair and do not use hairspray, use sugar an water or gelitan water with scented oil only, I do not put comercial hair spray on my hair. My hair is to my thigh, and is straight as a board, always wear it up,gets in the way down.

Vapunzel91
May 16th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Hmm... Probably getting a leave-in by Redken and applying it to my bleached hair, which is about four inches from the roots. I think it has allowed me to wash my hair once a week while giving my hair extra supplements. It also allowed my roots to not get so greasy, or at least my hair to get equally greasy in the same amount of time.

MaryMarx
May 17th, 2012, 06:12 AM
The best thing... was to stop using chemical dyes. Can't believe I did that to myself for all those years.

rock007junkie
May 17th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I've done a couple of things that have definitely improved the condition of my hair
1. Cut out all heat
2. Henna
3. Oiling hair regularly
4. Deep condition weekly
5. Stopped trimming so often.

my2cats1
May 17th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Taking better care of my overall health (better diet, supplements, more water and exercise) helped my hair more than I thought it would. The change didn't happen overnight, but one day I noticed that it was growing faster and was shinier than it had been in years.

SnowWhite
May 17th, 2012, 07:51 AM
1. Oiling and deep treatments with coconut oil / EVOO!
2. Airdry hair more often (I can't airdry it always, so if I have to go somewhere I must blowdry a little. I try to do this as short as possible)
3. Using a SLS free shampoo and discovering cone free conditioners which I use practically every time I wash my hair. :D
4. Scalp massage!
5. Using wide tooth combs instead of regular brushes.

Zindell
May 17th, 2012, 08:05 AM
What (besides joining LHC) was the best thing you've ever done for your hair/has made the biggest difference?

Stopped going to hairdressers and started to cut my own hair. (Or let DD cut it).

3azza
May 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM
CO, leave in conditioners instead of hair gel, and cutting my own hair

Kittyxx
May 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM
sleeping in a sock bun - so much more comfortable and I'm pretty sure there's less breakage/shedding as a result

EndlessSunshine
May 17th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Stopped dying it dark blue, stopped using shampoo, wearing it up all the time, and realizing that I don"t need mainstream beauty products.

MAO
May 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I quit shampooing my hair every day and not using sulfates.

UpNorth
May 17th, 2012, 12:25 PM
learning about buildups!

Capybara
May 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Oiling, for sure. Couldn't live without it :)

Lorisal
May 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM
The best thing I ever did for my hair was conditioning it more often.

Mononoke
May 17th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I think the best thing was stopping using a hair brush, and mostly finger-combing.

BunnyWabbit
May 17th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Argan oil. My hair loves it like nothing else in this world. I even found a great shampoo with it in it. It's never been softer and more mangeable. Yes I've cut back/out sulfates and cones, but the argan has really made a huge difference in the last year.

earthnut
May 17th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Greatly cutting back shampoo. I went from shampoo only to very little shampoo (mostly conditioner) and what a huge difference!

MintChocChip
May 17th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Giving up the hair dryer completely, and using oils.

SurferB
May 17th, 2012, 06:05 PM
TLC & better diet.

Ticky
May 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Better diet, and probably learning about clarifying and vinegar rinses.

momofmadeleine
May 17th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Switching from a low fat diet to a high fat, gluten free paleo diet. My hair had gone from naturally straight to frizzy over the years. When I switched my diet 3 years ago, my hair went straight again and even grew fewer gray hairs.

The gluten free paleo diet also caused me to lose a ton of weight and stop having migraines.

BunnyWabbit
May 17th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Switching from a low fat diet to a high fat, gluten free paleo diet. My hair had gone from naturally straight to frizzy over the years. When I switched my diet 3 years ago, my hair went straight again and even grew fewer gray hairs.

The gluten free paleo diet also caused me to lose a ton of weight and stop having migraines.

I'm starting to do a 'sport' called CrossFit which heavily endorses paleo! I'm not sure if I can give up grains entirely, but I'm cutting back a lot. Love protein! :D

Long_hair_bear
May 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Stopping with the dying and bleach. :)

leslissocool
May 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Henna! It helped heal my hair :crush: I love henna.

constructamane
May 18th, 2012, 05:28 AM
So far... if I have to choose one..stopping hair lightening

Henrietta
May 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Switching to moisturising instead of repairing products. (I do know repairing is impossible, really;) ). I think that's it.

Flame3345
May 18th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Getting myself a Tangle Teezer^^ (i can't live without it! :O) And using henna on the ends of my hair while growing out my layers :P

Suze2012
May 18th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Not getting it cut (for longer much than I should have) and deciding to refuse to listen to hairdressers.

Not using any heated appliances nor having blonde highlights (I stopped all that about 4 years ago).

Most significant instant great looking result has been trying co washing cone free.
I'm still learning and it's really early days (one week without knowing I had to clarify and a second much better week this week but I'm coing every day just now) but the look of my hair has changed drastically - even though it badly needs a cut (booked for tomorrow! :0) )

amylou
May 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I started wearing it up at night. I've seen an improvement in my hair since doing that, plus it doesn't get in my way or try to choke me anymore.

Amanah
May 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
love and accept it as it is, not try to change it but treat it as a priceless treasure.

constructamane
May 20th, 2012, 08:28 AM
There you go Amanah.....i second that!

Amapola
May 20th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Proper detangling. When I think of all the hairs I broke off, ripping a brush through my hair... :doh: what an idiot I was...

Micayla47
May 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM
giving up bleach and chemical dyes. i'm on my fourth henna treatment and i love it and so does my hair.

BrightEyes
May 20th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I'm not perfect at it yet, but giving up heat (and mechanical damage from stretching my hair with a round brush over and over again) has made a huge difference. Since I have significantly reduced heat styling and my hair has grown some, I have about 4 inches of smooth shiny hair and then a fairly good amount of frizz and breakage from there down. I also have a crop of new growth all over my head.

To be honest, I'm actually surprised at what giving up heat is doing for my hair. I really didn't realize just how damaging it was.

auburntressed
May 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Henna - though that has helped my scalp more than anything.
Giving up the paddle brush in favor of a wide toothed comb.

natural_shine
May 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
must ad something important!

I started eating more protein. One can of tuna/day, for example can make a big diffrence on the long run. Or just small portions of protein milkshake.Just don't overdo it, there are serious health risks if you take too much.

What this does- ACCELERATES GROWTH !!! A lot! The diffrence is really easy to notice even within a month or 2.

swearnsue
May 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM

I started eating more protein. One can of tuna/day, for example can make a big diffrence on the long run. Or just small portions of protein milkshake.Just don't overdo it, there are serious health risks if you take too much.

What this does- ACCELERATES GROWTH !!! A lot! The diffrence is really easy to notice even within a month or 2.

Protein is great for hair but I don't agree that there are serious health risks if you take too much. I would also caution you about eating a can of tuna per day, that may be too much mercury. I love tuna myself, but don't eat it more than twice per week at the most.

MissTulip
May 27th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Using coconut oil as soon as I exit the shower, every single time I wash my hair, has made all the difference in the world! I can't rave about it enough :p

MissTulip
May 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I would also caution you about eating a can of tuna per day, that may be too much mercury. I love tuna myself, but don't eat it more than twice per week at the most.

I second this.

terylenerose
May 27th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I don't know what particular thing was best for my hair. I'd have to choose between oiling, not shampooing, getting a sharp scissors and keeping it contained all the time so it doesn't nest.

I agree about the health risks - anyone who doesn't can look it up. Most Americans (I can't speak for other countries, sorry) get way too much protein, or so I've heard. I also agree with swearnsue that one can of tuna a day is probably too much mercury. In fact, it's probably better not to eat it at all. Mercury is really bad news.
I don't know what to think about your really big text though. You're probably just enthusiastic, but some people might think you're too emphatic or trying to get in their faces. Just saying. In any case, I'm glad you found something that works for you. :)

catamonica
May 27th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Adding olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner & Aloe Vera to my conditioner. Made my hair really soft. And wearing braided buns. My hair is healthy & in good condition.

onlyforhim
May 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
using olive oil before each wash...almost three times a week
stopped using heat...no more straightening for me (this made my hair go back to it's natural texture as if i was still 6 years old :) )
updos and braids...
cold water for washing the hair and leaving it to air dry
and finally combing and using bristol boar brush

onlyforhim
May 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
using olive oil before each wash...almost three times a week
stopped using heat...no more straightening for me (this made my hair go back to it's natural texture as if i was still 6 years old :) )
updos and braids...
cold water for washing the hair and leaving it to air dry
and finally combing and using bristol boar brush

Shesta
May 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Coconut oiling!

snowcloud
May 28th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Best thing I ever did for my hair was quit using store bought shampoo

LadyTheta
May 28th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Wearing it braided and/or up for most of a couple years, washing once per week.

LadyTheta
May 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Also ... as my hair is by now "decades" older, as am I! ... no longer having highlights done.
(The once yearly highlights, plus the heat-and-sun damage = too much damage altogether.)

Silverbrumby
May 28th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Using less oil. I was turning my hair into a 'built-up' mess when I first got the idea to try them.

louzen
May 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Stopped using sulfates and cones
Stopped hacking the knots in my hair with a plastic brush I had owned for years! (Can't believe I did this!)
Brushing daily with a BBB and detangling very gently in sections with a wide toothed comb
Morning and night scalp massages (2 mins each time) to promote blood circulation
Oiling overnight twice a week (using either jojoba, coconut, olive, emu). Emu oil has been the best for my scalp/hair so far
Using herbal/natural shampoos with no chemicals.
Vinegar rinses to stop the itching!
Juicing and eating 2 eggs a day for accelerated hair growth

Nephele
May 28th, 2012, 10:50 PM
1. Stopping the heat/only straightening hair for special occasions (maybe 3 times a year)
2. Washing my hair less
3. Leaving it alone! Once I stopped obsessing over my hair, it started growing super fast. Sure that was probably because I wasn't measuring it every day, but still. It worked ;)

GlennaGirl
May 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM
The best thing I ever did for my hair was to stop using boxed blonde dyes. My hair felt like cobwebs almost no matter what I did in conjunction with the boxed blonde colors. There are definitely ways to go blonde without the degree of damage I sustained, I've seen evidence of that on this site. But my hair, with those dyes = hair that literally broke off in my fingers.

Freckled.Thing
May 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM
First place has got to be detangling my hair carefully with a widetoothed comb, rather than just hacking at it madly with a brush.

Honorable mention goes to only shampooing the scalp and conditioning the ends, rather than just piling all my hair on top of my head when I use either.

Arciela
May 30th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Stopped bleaching
No heat
Cone free CO washing
using coconut oil
:)